Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Started by lillisa, November 05, 2023, 01:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lillisa

I've been away for a while, and I've come back with a lust to run some pathfinder.

"The motivations that lead one to a life of an adventurer are endless: wanderlust, glory, power, wealth, fame, or opportunities to indulge your benevolence - or malevolence. Whatever your reasons are, you found the perfect means to attain your adventurous ambitions when a lord made an offer too attractive to ignore. A powerful bandit calling himself the Stag Lord has made himself ruler of the appropriately-named Stolen Lands, a dangerous frontier and no-mans-land. Bandits make for notoriously poor neighbors, and the offer is simple; whomever rids the Stolen Lands of this Stag Lord may rule those liberated lands with official support and recognition.Whether you want to defend the vulnerable trying to scratch out a living in the Stolen Lands, deprive the Stag Lord and other evils from imposing on the meek, spread lawful civilization into untamed lands, accrue wealth and power and subjugate others to your will (and, perhaps, more than a little bit of taxation), or if you just think that becoming a baron/baroness would be a fun adventure is yours to decide, and to shape by your actions and policies, and in no small part by the company you keep."

I'm looking to find a group of four to five intrepid adventurers who want to tame a wild and treacherous land, and have some fun along the way. Kingmaker is a longterm semisandbox campaign for the pathfinder (1st edition), in which you combine adventuring and dungeoncrawling with running a country. Deal with the concerns of citizens, raise taxes, build up the cities, all the while exploring the wilderness and fending off attacks by monsters, bandits and other nobles trying to usurp you.

This game will not be running on a first come, first serve basis, but rather I will open application until 23.59 PST on November 17th. Then use the weekend to pick a team. 

If you want to apply, please PM me with a character formatted as below:

[b]Name:  [/b]
[b]Race: 
Role:  Defender/damage/control/healer/utility (max 2)
Backstory: Three to five paragraphs about your story so far.
Physical description:
Image:[/b]

Though I don't want fully built characters yet, I understand people will base their character choice, so I will give the basics. 
25 point build, 1st level, full hp, max gold for class,
background skills optional rule
Three traits (can take flaws, but they don't give benefits) (normal trait rules apply)
No monstrous or advanced races races.
I'm not a big fan of third party, but if  it's something special, talk to me.

Since kingmaker is a big undertaking, I do have a few groundrules:
1) Please be active. Nothing will kill a game like someone just taking ages to post. Of course life can get in the way, but normally 3 to 4 posts a week wouyld be the minimum, and prolonged activity will be reason to cut, just to be fair to the others devoting their time. 
2) No OC drama. Jealosy and possesiveness can ruin a game. Character drama is fine, but when players get upset with each other, the game will tend to fail.

Revelation

Just putting a mental note to myself to apply for this later today when I have more free time.

Rashol

Noting to apply for this one too.

ThatGuy285

Interesting might do my characters from those games.. Dampier Alchemist or a dragonblooded sorcerer.
That guy, you know who did the thing with the other thing. No not that thing!

Chulanowa

TheHangedOne

Also making a note to throw together a character for this. Kingmaker has a lot of potential fun. 
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Saric

WIP

Name: Serra Heavensblood
Race: Aasimar (Musetouched)
Sexual orientation:
Yes
Class:
Oracle (Elemental Mystery) (Deep One Curse)
Role: 
Healer/Utility
Backstory:
Born to a Calistrian Sacred Prostitute Serra was raised in the Temple among the docks of Mivon in The River Kingdoms. As the Temple was basically a Blessed Brothel Serra swiftly learned the ways of both the Temple and the dockworkers, fishermen, boat merchants and river pirates they serviced. She spent her youth running errands, and helping to sail small boats up and down the river, or carrying sacred incense, towels, and massage oil around the Temple.

It wasn't until Serra was twelves years old, and just starting to properly learn ways of serving the Goddess, that her magical gifts made themselves known. After several auguries it was determined that she'd been blessed by the Goddess in the ways of the world, so that she might one day travel forth and found a new Temple herself. Her training was expanded to cover her magic, combat, and the skills she would need to acquire the needed funding and survive to found her own Temple.

On her Twentieth birthday, having served in the Temple with her sisters for several years now, Serra finally departed. Her final gift from her Mother, after a night spent together, was a finely illustrated copy of the Book of Joy, with full color for all the pictures! Serra studies it daily and tries out as many of the positions as she can, though some of the more... exotic positions require more partners or more flexible partners then she's yet had.

Mivon was founded by exiled Swordlords from Brevoy and Serra is familiar with their culture and history. So when they called for adventures and offer lands, wealth and titles it seemed the obvious path to seek out to see and experience the world while saving enough wealth to build and maintain a Temple of her own.

Physical description:
Image:

This character would be a follower of Calistria. Calistria's favored weapon is a whip but for reasons unknown to me whips are exotic weapons and require the Whip Mastery feat to deal damage to anything with an armor rating of +1 or higher and to not take attacks of opportunity when attacking with a whip. Given that they were commonly used with wagons, livestock, and as weapons of punishment aboard ships it seems ridiculous that they be 'exotic'. And since they can easily cut through leather and thin metal not being able to hurt someone in armor seems equally illogical. I would therefore like to request that whips be made simple or martial weapons (mostly peasants used them) and that the effects of Whip Mastery be included in proficiency. It's not a necessity but it would help with the character thematically without requiring a bunch of odd feats that shouldn't be needed in the first place.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Saric

Quote from: Rashol on November 06, 2023, 03:14:07 AMShe said no advanced races ;)
Aasimar are a 'featured race'. Advanced races are things like Androids, Gathlain, and Shabti.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Revelation

I think it'd be best to have lillisa say whether a race is allowed or not rather than get into a scuffle as a player is all.

I'm personally waffling between a Hunter and Inquisitor for class, a primary damage dealer with some utility.

Saric

Quote from: Rashol on November 06, 2023, 03:46:22 AMNot according to the pathfinder srd where they are listed as advanced. ;)

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/
The home page of that same srd lists them as featured. I know because I checked there first. :P

Quote from: Revelation on November 06, 2023, 08:41:01 AMI think it'd be best to have lillisa say whether a race is allowed or not rather than get into a scuffle as a player is all.

I'm personally waffling between a Hunter and Inquisitor for class, a primary damage dealer with some utility.
Fair enough.

I always find any class involving animal companions suspect in the long term. If only because animal companions are very strong at low levels but then start to fall off rapidly.

Rashol

Sorry about that Saric. It does appear to be Featured, more often than not. Many apologies.

Revelation

Quote from: Saric on November 06, 2023, 08:56:29 AMThe home page of that same srd lists them as featured. I know because I checked there first. :P
Fair enough.

I always find any class involving animal companions suspect in the long term. If only because animal companions are very strong at low levels but then start to fall off rapidly.

Perhaps!

But animal companions are cool and having a T-rex as a class feature is pretty fucking baller.

Krys

lillisa, are you open to players with little knowledge of Pathfinder?
Disclaimer (WIP):
English isn't my native language. I'm deeply rooted in a culture with significantly different (much more direct) communcation strategies than typical for the extremely polite british or canadian cultures, or the "optimistic" approach often used in the USA. Additionally, I'm not neurotypical in several ways, warping my perception and communication to an even further degree.

But: my english is JUST good enough to lull many readers into a false sense of security. Think of it as the communicative equivalent to "false friends words" which, while extremely similar in outward appearance in two languages, mean something slightly but importantly different. Like "I want to become a steak" makes perfect sense to a german... that still would prefer not to be butchered.

So please, if you perceive my words as rude, my intentions as unemotional or just weird: ask me. I'm not always successful in my attempts to correctly guess the fluff and embellishments needed for successful communication. Not in my native german tongue, much less so in english. Please do not interpret them as bad intent, but feel free to ask for clarifications. I'll try my best to solve such misunderstandings, and learn to prevent them.

Zaer Darkwail

Name: Lan Aldori
Race:  Half-Elf
Sexual orientation: Hetero-Sexual
Class: Fighter (swordlord subclass)
Role:  Defender/Melee damage
Backstory: Lan was born in Rostland in the north near Issia borders, his parents were wealthy landowners (owned several farms) and his uncle was a swordlord who visited family regularly. However, one night when he was nine the region suffered a sudden attack by bandits (by strong rumors Issian military raiders) where farms and his family home were torched down killing everyone, he managed to survive because he was the only one able to fit through underground aqueduct which connected to his home.

His uncle arrived the next morning to witness the massacre and found only Lan as a survivor, after his testimonies his uncle took Lan in as a family obligation. Lan was taught the ways of the sword by his uncle and he early on adopted aldori dueling sword and dedicated himself to mastery of the blade and ideals of honor in aldori swordlords traditions.

His uncle felt his training was complete, albeit needing still bit of polishing but regardless Lan at a very young age changed his surname to Aldori and sought to join the expedition to Stolen Lands with a sense of adventure and opportunity to prove himself to his uncle. But also a spark of revenge quietly stirs in his heart as he would not pass an opportunity to annoy or even harm Issia and its military especially.

Physical description: Lan stands six point one tall, a muscularly slender body he has short-cut brunette hair, slightly pointed ears, brown eyes, and wears a bright red fur-lined coat with armored shoulder plates covering one shoulder and having gauntlet (parade armor) with fur lining. Wearing gloves, leather pants, and boots along with his backpack. Naturally, he carries an aldori dueling sword in a sheath beside his waist.

lillisa

Quote from: Krys on November 06, 2023, 10:06:08 AMlillisa, are you open to players with little knowledge of Pathfinder?
Of course. System knowledge, especially in a PbP game is not hugely needed. With a little help you can quite easily build a character. Most any fantasy concepts can be accomodated. As for world lore, we'll be stuck in a place that makes the middle of nowhere seem cosmopolitan, so no worries there either.

Revelation

I'd likewise be happy to help any new players with information, as best as I can.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Revelation on November 06, 2023, 12:10:18 PMI'd likewise be happy to help any new players with information, as best as I can.
Same as well and give advice as well, in the number crunching/mechanics wise.

Saric

Quote from: lillisa on November 06, 2023, 11:53:06 AMOf course. System knowledge, especially in a PbP game is not hugely needed. With a little help you can quite easily build a character. Most any fantasy concepts can be accomodated. As for world lore, we'll be stuck in a place that makes the middle of nowhere seem cosmopolitan, so no worries there either.
Are aasimar okay? The SRD lists them both as advanced races and 'featured races' so there's some confusion about what's banned and what isn't.

Krys

Name: Wiða Þansōn (pronounced Widha Thansown)
Race: Gathlain (as suggested by lillisa)
Sexual orientation: demi/asex/sapio
Class: leshy warden (druid archetype)
Role: healer/utility
Backstory: When Wiða's seed started from her mother tree, nobody could have guessed, just how far it would travel. Spreading it's wings wide, it sailed over plains and mountains, rivers and like, to the farthest reaches, until finally landing in the lost lands just a short time ago.

While the secluded budding could have easily led to her developing a rather wheeping willowy appearance and worldview, this was not to be. During the long travels as a seed, a fresh summery breeze had taken her towards a sunny meadow. It's just a vague memory to her, but an especially precious one. Seeing a group of elvish or nymph girls, dancing skyclad on the meadow, the sun painting tantalizing patterns on their skins, left an indeletable impression on her.

Thus when she took roots in this secluded lands, even before she completely grew into her adolescent form, a core tenet had been manifested. To seek out other living talking beings, be/look like them. To commune and dance and talk and build with them, as the myriad of bees surrounding the young tree fey. And thus the story of Wiða Þansōn, the dancing willow had begun.

Physical description: Wiða, with exceptional tall full 4', is a lithe, willowy young gathlain. While it/she could be mistaken from afar as a young elvish girl, closer inspection will easily reveal her nature. Her soft skin has a slight cinammon/reddish hue and her hair the white fuzzyness with golden dusting like a willows catkins. Her eyes, the color of fresh spring leaves, and her ears with their leaf like form complement her looks. While prefering to walk the world in her natural form, Wiða got used to wearing colorful saris, allowing the willowy vines of her wings to stream down her back like a leafy cloak. A sweet smell of spring and honey as well as the constant low buzz of her accompanying bees surrounds her.

Alternative traits:
honey whisperer - natural armor
symbiotic imbalance - speeds

Ideas, suggestions, help very welcome. :D
Disclaimer (WIP):
English isn't my native language. I'm deeply rooted in a culture with significantly different (much more direct) communcation strategies than typical for the extremely polite british or canadian cultures, or the "optimistic" approach often used in the USA. Additionally, I'm not neurotypical in several ways, warping my perception and communication to an even further degree.

But: my english is JUST good enough to lull many readers into a false sense of security. Think of it as the communicative equivalent to "false friends words" which, while extremely similar in outward appearance in two languages, mean something slightly but importantly different. Like "I want to become a steak" makes perfect sense to a german... that still would prefer not to be butchered.

So please, if you perceive my words as rude, my intentions as unemotional or just weird: ask me. I'm not always successful in my attempts to correctly guess the fluff and embellishments needed for successful communication. Not in my native german tongue, much less so in english. Please do not interpret them as bad intent, but feel free to ask for clarifications. I'll try my best to solve such misunderstandings, and learn to prevent them.

lillisa

Quote from: Saric on November 06, 2023, 10:33:09 PMAre aasimar okay? The SRD lists them both as advanced races and 'featured races' so there's some confusion about what's banned and what isn't.

I wouldn't be opposed to featured races. 

Also, I really need to check if someone has been using my pc

SheenaTiger

*scribbling a note as well ... building PF1-chars at 0:30am simply is asking a lot of myself*
Generally slow between posts ... sorry but Health-Issues and other RL-Things happen.
My RP-Search / BDSM-Test (2015-08-16) / BDSM-Test (2018-12-23) / BDSM-Test (2022-11-28) / My A&A (2020-12-16)

QuoteThe complete Domination over a Submissive is not based on fear and harshness, but is based on trust, love, guidance and understanding.

Ixy

I'll PM a concept asap.  Always wanted to see this campaign played out :)

Grizzly

Putting my foot into this door.  I'll cobble together a character submission shortly.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Rashol

I'm really sorry to ask. But I know next to nothing of Golarion, and the location. I might have had a character but it seems unlikely they would have walked all the way across the continent to be there.

SheenaTiger

Quote from: Rashol on November 08, 2023, 05:25:58 AMI'm really sorry to ask. But I know next to nothing of Golarion, and the location. I might have had a character but it seems unlikely they would have walked all the way across the continent to be there.
Don't overthink it. Ask yourself: Does my character have a reason to go on adventures?
If yes: all the reasons are there for the character to show up.
If no: think of a character that does have a reason.

The region the adventure takes part in is not really untamed Wilderness, there are people living there. It is more like a region without any laws enforced and your character simply followed the call to help with it. Likely not expecting the actual journey they will be a part of.
Generally slow between posts ... sorry but Health-Issues and other RL-Things happen.
My RP-Search / BDSM-Test (2015-08-16) / BDSM-Test (2018-12-23) / BDSM-Test (2022-11-28) / My A&A (2020-12-16)

QuoteThe complete Domination over a Submissive is not based on fear and harshness, but is based on trust, love, guidance and understanding.

Rashol

Actually got two characters now... Haha
One based on an AI image that I just scattershotted, and another based on an old desire to play a gnome.

SheenaTiger

Quote from: Rashol on November 08, 2023, 05:41:38 AMActually got two characters now... Haha
One based on an AI image that I just scattershotted, and another based on an old desire to play a gnome.
I am sadly not well versed with the myriad of species in PF1 ... Gnomes might not be among them. Best to check on the "Archives of Nethys", just make sure it is PF1 not PF2 in the upper right.

Zaer Darkwail

Gnomes can work as a player race, it's one core race picks besides halflings, half-elves, elves etc.

SheenaTiger

Okay, this is in a state of creation... will be edited when more things are decided on my part, especially the background.

Name: Sanasha
Race: Kitsune
Sexual orientation: everything feminine looking (breasts + vagina ... penis optional)
Class: Cleric (Merciful Healer)
Role: Healer (likely some Utility thrown in)
Backstory: Work in Progress ... ideas as bullet points to be turned into something fleshed out
  • parents are blacksmiths for a very rich trader
  • born in the mansion of her parents employer
  • received a colorful songbird as gift from her older sister
  • decided to explore the world in her sisters place after learning of her tragic death
  • fell in love with someone on her travels but had a fight over something and they took different ways
  • is plagued with insomnia on many nights
Physical description: coming up

MingMing

I sent you a submission through PM.  I hope it's suitable.  I hope to get a chance to play!  
“I have not seen one who loves virtue as he loves sex”- Confucius

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

Kailandra

Is there still room in the game?

I have plenty of PF1 character concepts that can work and can play most roles.

lillisa

Quote from: Kailandra on November 10, 2023, 11:57:50 PMIs there still room in the game?

I have plenty of PF1 character concepts that can work and can play most roles.
I've not picked any characters yet. I'm taking on applications until end of Friday (pst timezone)

That way I feel I can create a party that works well together mechanically.

Feel free to use the template to put in one or a few characters.

I have a few more things planned, but I want this campaign on track before expanding.

lillisa

Just wanted to give a heads up that I'll close recruitment in just under 24 hours. So if people were considering to apply, please do so before then.

Ryu Wojin

Name: Leva of House Medvyed
Race: Human / Half Elf
Sexual orientation: Lesbian
Class: Kineticist
Role: damage/utility

Backstory: Leva, growing up, was always fascinated by nature and the world around her. The noble and cooped up life was not Leva's. At a young age, she began to involve herself with the Church of Erastil. Learning about community and the humbleness of homesteads. She would eventually learn from a ranger on how to survive in the wilderness. She learned basic carpentry and even pottery and basic survival methods.

In her teenage years, Leva would discover that she had an affinity with water. Unbeknownst to her, her family house had ties with fey, and a nymph had taken interest in Leva's upbringing, and blessed her with power over water. Enough that Leva could form a connection and seem to control it. She would begin to train her water bending to use in more useful and miraculous esque ways. Good thing too, she hated using bows.

[May change the following segment to something else]
One event happened where Leva volunteered to take a shipment to another city on behalf of the church. Bandits found Leva and ambushed her. They sent a random note threatening Leva's life. In response, soldiers were sent to rescue Leva. But they would discover that Leva was able to escape and defeat the bandits. Her water bending was on a much more skilled aspect than even her master had thought.

So when the church heard about an expedition, they encouraged Leva to pursue it. And her household was eager to get their name out there. She had all of the experience short of financial bureaucracy experience and leadership. She could see a group of adventurers into the greenbelt.

Physical description: Leva is a beauty of a woman in her own right. If she wasn't dedicated to Erastil, she most certainly would be claimed by the church of Shylen. Wether fey-touched or blessed, her beauty is a thing to behold. And her religious and noble household made sure to influence her clothes. Garbs with jewels, and hair that was almost like a cascade of water behind her. Her armored corset blends into her fashion sense as well. It'd all be a nightmare to keep clean if Leva didn't have the ability to clean it.

Image:

Laughing Hyena

I will unfortunately probably miss the deadline as I am currently traveling. But I will assemble a character as quick as possible to try and play in this game. Or have a chance to anyway. So this space is reserved.

Name: Magnus
Race: Human
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Class: Rogue
Role: Damage / Utility

Backstory: As an urchin in his youth, Magnus learned that the only way to get by in the world was to seize the moment and not hesitate. So he stole to eat. Starving to death was something he and many other unfortunate souls knew they had a better chance at together. Thus the need came for a pact between the younger urchins. Look out for one another and reap the rewards. For a while this worked... until one sold the other urchins out to get ahead. He was lucky enough to not get caught.

Alone again, he fled home and took up adventuring as a means to earn food, drink, shelter but more importantly wealth and power. His hopes are to gather this power and find the one who sold out the guild from his youth and with his wealth, find any of those who have survived that day of betrayal.

Physical Description: Standing at five feet and a half in height he might be amongst the shorter of the group. But his body is still youthful and athletic in build. He may not look ripped but if one was to feel his arm, it would be solid as a rock. Black hair is cut short to keep his blue eyes unimpaired. His jawline has a shadow of facial hair but he keeps his mouth veiled by a cloth in tandem with a hooded cloak to keep his face hidden when doing dirty work.

Image: 

lillisa

I would like to thank everyone who applied to this game. It was quite difficult to pick, but I feel I have no selected a group that fits both mechanically and thematically. 

If you didn't get a pm that you were picked, I apologise, there siply were to many good candidates.