Where does the Secret Service draw the line?

Started by Oniya, January 15, 2012, 01:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086591/Let-children-fatherless-wife-widow-Politicians-controversial-email-asks-legislators-pray-Obama.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Okay - we're coming into election year, and everyone and their cousin is complaining about politics and politicians.  Earlier, Veks  (very correctly) posted a message that even if you disagree with a politician's policies, it's both polite and prudent not to post comments about killing them.  If nothing else, it makes the guys with the ear-phones and the Ray-Bans very tetchy.  And yet, when the Kansas House Speaker sends out an email telling his contacts (who might forward that email to anyone) to 'look up' Psalm 109.

Seriously - Let his children be fatherless and his wife a widow?  Why is the Secret Service not calling this guy in for a little chat?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on January 15, 2012, 01:36:44 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086591/Let-children-fatherless-wife-widow-Politicians-controversial-email-asks-legislators-pray-Obama.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Okay - we're coming into election year, and everyone and their cousin is complaining about politics and politicians.  Earlier, Veks  (very correctly) posted a message that even if you disagree with a politician's policies, it's both polite and prudent not to post comments about killing them.  If nothing else, it makes the guys with the ear-phones and the Ray-Bans very tetchy.  And yet, when the Kansas House Speaker sends out an email telling his contacts (who might forward that email to anyone) to 'look up' Psalm 109.

Seriously - Let his children be fatherless and his wife a widow?  Why is the Secret Service not calling this guy in for a little chat?

I'm sure that they will be talking to him. That is a very stupid move for someone in his position to say and I'm willing to bet the Secret Service guys will put him on the list but it's most likely being graded, rated and assessed. Not everyone who speaks out at the president (or anyone else they cover) merits a heavy response. That being said.. I'm sure that some folks in his own party are going 'What the F* were you thinking!?"

Beguile's Mistress

Hopefully they have already talked to him and are watching him and we just don't know about it yet.

Sure

Because sending in federal executive forces to deal with state officials or legislative officials is a touchy subject.

Because the Speaker of the House is likely to be judged unlikely to do anything more than pray.

Because even if they were doing something they wouldn't tell.

Serephino

An elected official actually get in trouble for something?  What world are you people living in?  All they have to do is apologize and all is forgiven.  Hell, some of them don't even have to do that.