Science Fiction Civilizations (Interest Check): [MUL]

Started by RegularRaskolnikov, November 16, 2009, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RegularRaskolnikov

Trying to find the appropriate topic name for this idea wasn't easy. Essentially what I'm proposing is a roleplay in which the players act out the role of an entire civilization rather than a single person. It's a pretty simple concept, really.

For example, you would post a bit of information about your people. What system they occupied, or what planet if they only occupy the one. Their anatomy, technology, society, and religion. Anything that you feel is necessary to properly summarize and entire religion.

I wanted to try this roleplay because it affords us many unique opportunities. For one, everybody contributes to the plot rather than following slightly more strict parameters that are sometimes set. The opportunity for imagination is on a much bigger scale. Most of all, though, it affords us the opportunity to really speculate about how we'd want to do things if we could. Creating a civilization will make you look at ours and consider all of it's flaws and how those could be (in your opinion) improved. Or you might want to play as a primitive tribe of warlike monsters or some kind of insectoid hive-mind ant race or something.

I think it'd be interesting to see what kinds of crazy religions and technologies come up, and it'd be fascinating to watch everyone try to coexist. I intend to set up some sort of a council. Basically every race gets a representative on the council who reports back to his or her people. This would be the basis for our interaction. Whenever there's a new threat, or someone has invented a weapon that maybe someone else wants deals can be made. I WILL say that I think it would be a waste if every single planet starts to make war with each other. Civilization would be pretty short-lived if every world becomes a screaming hellstorm of flaming nothingness.

If there are people out there who are interested, or who have suggestions for me here then by all means post here and let me know. I'll be lurking around.

Ah! One thing I do want some suggestions on is the civilization profiles or information. So any ideas on this next item would be greatly appreciated.

Race:
Home System:
Home Planet(s):
Planet(s) Description:
Anatomical/Biological Description:
Social/Ideological Description:
Technology Level:

And now we play the waiting game...
I simply did something that I was too stupid to realize I couldn't do.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79577.0
((ons and offs because I cannot make hide nor hair of this internet sorcery))

HairyHeretic

How do you see the players interacting in this? If I choose to go to war with you, because your ceremonial greeting is a very rude thing in my language, how do we sort out power levels, battles and so on? How do you see the civilisations advancing in terms of say technology?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RegularRaskolnikov

Interaction can be done like in any other roleplay. We have two options: We can trust the players to be gracious enough to not ALL try to win every single battle. For example, if we've established that your society focuses constantly on domination through combat and mine is more philosophical then we can safely assume that your species would win most of the battles. Of course in that case I would then probably go to another species for assistance and bring about a combined counter-attack.

The second possiblity is the use of one of the dice systems. Although I would try to keep that as broad as possibly. Large scale battles would be broken down into rounds of perhaps two minutes with a die roll determing whether something fortuitous had happened in that round or not. The two players could agree on the number of rounds that they wanted to devote to the battle and the player with the most accumulated points (dice rolls) at the end would be victorious.

Hopefully that doesn't become necessary. I'd like to be able to solve dilemmas like that with the players discussing and agreeing on a satisfactory conclusion. Although a dice roll would eliminate any doubt.

I don't intend this game to be like a strategy war game, at least not entirely. It would be a game about having to interact with each other in the interest of bettering the lives of everyone. Technological progression would happen naturally. Simply illustrate in some way that your people are attempting to develop a new method of propulsion, or something to that effect. Eventually there would be prototypes and eventually the new technology would be distributed. Or, say that my culture has a method for regenerating organs and/or body parts. We would trade you that technology for something of yours that we wanted.

HairyHeretic

Its a nice idea, but people being people (of any sentient race) and you're going to get those who will simply find it easier to take rather than talk :)

Babylon 5 probably has some nice examples of this, both diplomacy and military action being used to advance a particular races fortunes.

I do like the idea of controlling an entire race, but diplomacy isn't going to solve every problem :) Let me think on it .. I have a couple of ideas ticking over at present.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RegularRaskolnikov

War is going to be inevitable. I wasn't saying that this game wasn't going to have ANY war. I just don't want to play a game of Galactic Risk here. Yes, while some people are going to want to solve every territorial issue with war, wars are costly and most of the time compromise is a more promising solution. As unrealistic as it is to assume that peace will prevail forever it's just as unrealistic to assume that everyone is just going to keep fighting each other into extinction like in Warhammer 40k.

I.E. If you want to control a warlike race, as I stated earlier, then please do so. However if there are enough people who don't want to fight all the time then eventually they're going to deal with you. That makes it fun.

Then again, this is as much a social experiment as it is anything else. For all I know everyone might just end up destroying each other rather than cooperating.

ChaoticSky

i know of a system for space-nations RPs, if your interested, it basically assigns everyone a certain number of points, you use those points to buy 'traits' for your nation, which establishes parameters for you, and keeps everyone within their lines, andstops from from pulling super weapons out of their asses.

heres the system, if your interested

Quotecredit to: TatersAndTots

Race name:
Race appearance:
Number of Systems: Somewhere between 1-50 is okay. Any nation over 25 is... creaky, and suffers regional problems, which must be included in the Weaknesses (terrorist groups, revolts, slow reaction to threats, corruption, etc...)
Government Type:
Religion(s):
History:
Values of your nation: hardwork, truth, war, discovery, peace, etc...
National Traits: (For all of the traits, give a short statement on how each is related to your race)

Population Traits: ----------------^

Military Traits: -------------------^

Technical Traits: -----------------^

Historical Traits: -----------------^

Faults/Weaknesses: -------------^

Hyper-Tech: ---------------------^

TRAIT SYSTEM:
Each Nation gets a single trait from each category below. Plus seven extra traits to spend on any category except for Hyper-Technology and History. For each flaw you take you can take an extra trait. (one each  =6, + 7 anywhere-points = 13 traits total + 1 per flaw)

Some Traits can stack, making them more pronounced, those that cannot will have an * at the start of the name.

National Traits:
GETTING HUGE!: Your nation has a serious skyscraper, monument and battleship fetish and likes to build big. BIG. BIG.
The Mossad: What you know, I know.
Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti: We have not managed to gather any information on this trait. (KGB)
*Implausibly Efficient Government: Your bureaucrats cut through red tape with machetes.
Fair Dinkum: Your state has a rep as a straight shooter (metaphorically) and an honest dealer (literally).
The only Party in town: The government controls everything. Including you. Especially you.
Free Market Boomtown: The nice thing about a corporate state is there's profits for everyone. The not so nice thing is that you have to go back to your cubicle now.
Industrial Heartland: Tank factories stretch to the horizon and shipyards fill the night sky with waste light.
*New Hollywood: A cultural centre of the galaxy. Everyone who's anyone has made their fame here.
Who Cares About Uzbekistan: Your polity is simply not on the galactic radar and thus avoids a lot of the Bad Shit that can go down. . .
Party Please: Your diplomats are just so good-natured or know so many skeleton-filled closets that they can get into strategically useful alliances much easier than others. Of course, then you need to live up to what you signed . . .
*Cargo Cultist: If freighters were warships, you'd blot out the stars with your fleet. You still do, but there's less gunfire involved.
Load-Bearing State: You remember all those times you beat up a boss and suddenly the castle collapsed? Well, you're kind of like that to the galactic economy.

Population Traits:
*Loyalty: A populace that through some reason or another is loyal to its government, through fear or "cookie day" it doesn't matter, these people are loyal.
*Hive: Through technological, psionic or even natural means these people share a hive-mind. (A hive automatically has this Trait) This makes infiltration almost impossible.
Man-Machine Interface: Thought the looking glass of circuitry and neurons into the uncharted territories of bioelectronic convergence.
SPACE MARINES!: Your people are physically superior specimens, with buff bodies and quick hands.
Cyberize!: Physical cybernetic modifications are rampant in your population. Not limited by mere biology like SPACE MARINES! but likewise not inherent just by being born. Sucks to be a copper.
Heroic Age: Your people see themselves as Spartan Heroes, not Persian Generals. Shame the Spartans made poor civilians . . .
Flag-Wavers: It doesn't matter what you do, you'll always win the elections. You must choose something particularly dear to your population that they wave flags about.
Eureka!: The desire to take things apart and figure out how they work runs deep in your people's blood.
Hard Workers: Your people really roll up their sleeves and work.
Stupidly Brave: Nobody would think of calling your people cowards.
Not One Step Back!:
Tough as a Coffin Nail: Your people are just ridiculously tough and can survive true environmental extremes. Requires SPACE MARINES!, Cyberize
Plain Jane: You get one additional National trait, but cannot choose any other Population Trait.

Military Traits:
High Speed, Low Drag: Hit and Run. Really quickly.
Tortoise and the Hare: Slow, steady and durable wins the race.
Network-Paradigm Processor: Communism in warfare? Unheard of!
Battleships!: You've got a lot more battleships than most people. Also comes in other variants. (You could take is "Carriers!" or "Destroyers!" or "Super-Capitals!" potentially)
*Armament De-Regulation: Who puts 16" guns on freighters? You do!
Army General Staff: Your focus is mostly on taking and holding ground with troops, be that planets, space stations or hostile warships.
*Awesome Training: This trait is only worth one, but costs two because people are munchkins.
Death Spiraller: Why buy ten fighters when you can buy one five times as good?
Knife in the Back: You prefer the silence of a SPF strike to the brutishness of a battle line bombardment.
*Strategic Weapons Stockpiler: You put the Strategic Air Command to shame.
Ninja Space pirate: Arr matey! You'll never escape our pirate U-Boats!
Dispersed Operations: All spaceships can go quite a while without resupply and operate without fleets. Yours are optimized for this.
Space Trenches: If it was possible to dig holes in space-time to provide cover for your battleships, you'd do so.
A Penny Saved: Just because a cruiser is two generations behind the state of the art doesn't mean its useless!
Main Guns!: The age of the battleship is back with a vengeance, this time with spinally-mounted cannons for all.

Technical Traits:
*Mechanical Monstrosities: Who needs fighters when you can have giant robots!
Biowanker: Instead of heavy metal, your engineers have gone down the path of biotechnology.
On The Run!: Most people don't strap engines to factories and cram them into carriers. Most people.
Stealth Obsessed: Most people engineer a bit of stealth cladding into their warships. You use it for internal decking.
Flash: Your stuff just has that extra polish that makes it look cooler than everyone else's inferior-looking, blockily-functional equipment.
Plug'n'Play: Modularity is a virtue, so your engineers claim.
Ghost in the Machine: People are a hindrance, so you use machinery as much as possible.
Nazi Superscience: A role for every machine and a machine for every role.
Better Than Your {Keyword}: Don't apply this too broadly or I'll smack you, otherwise it's exactly what it implies.
Hangerize!: Fighters and Mecha are cool (or just an overly important part of your doctrines) so you stick them in everything you can. This provides strike/superiority ability in addition to the usual utility-craft hangars.
Off-The-Shelf Technology: You get one additional Bonus trait, but cannot choose any other Technical Trait.

Historical Traits: (MUST take ONE ONLY)
Warlike: Your History is filled with bloodshed, violence and the genocide of millions, at your own hands or against you. The point is you won’t back down if you don’t have to.
Diplomatic: You have more skill with diplomacy than most species and consider war to be a final option after all others have been exhausted. Fortunately you’ve kept your records better than others and suffer no diplomatic penalties with different species.
Commercial: A long history of commercial profit and trade fills your peoples lessons as children. Your people don’t learn how Aravais defeated the Chonomeri in a great battle but how Elan robbed Geddas of every last coin in exchange for a drink of water in the desert to survive.
In Armour Clad: Your people value defence, shields and armour above diplomacy, strategic weapons and other minor concerns. After all what good are their weapons if they cannot harm you?

Hyper-technology: (Must take ONE)
Advanced Biotechnology: Some polities have taken the sciences of life to its endpoints and gained the ability to breed living structures and starships. While not as efficient as more conventional ships they do have their advantages.
Jump Drive: Jump drives allow the equipped vehicle to make a linear (read, straight, unobstructed, line) “space-folding jump” between two points by folding space between the start and end points. (not usable by anything smaller than a battleship)
Plasma Tech: You are able to utilize crude plasma weapons. Although wasteful, the globs of plasma you can shoot rip through armor and shields like paper.
Cloaking Devices: I see what you did there... or not. Cloaking hides all emissions from the ships using the device, hiding it from whatever is looking for it. Firing plasma drives or firing weapons will expose the ship. The best bet is to fly towards the place you wanna go from rally far away, then just coast all the way in.
Relativistic Weapons: Projectile weaponry fired past 20% of lightspeed. Incredible levels of damage and destruction are capable.
Antimatter Tech: Better containment means more antimatter, which means bigger boom, 'nuff said. Antimatter can also be used in reactors and engines to make ships much faster than ships with fusion reactors.
Field Control: You that whole "gravity weapons are useless" thing? If you have Field Control, you can ignore that bit. Your race can use gravity much more than other races. You get things like tractor beams, which repel as well as attract, gravity elevators, and really big vehicles can use hover (hovering fortresses anyone?). You largest ships can use a bigger version of a tractor beam to rip enemy apart. Gravity ignores shielding.

Faults/Weaknesses: (Each Fault, Weakness or Flaw allows you to take one more trait EXCEPT for Historical or Hyper-Advanced.)
Honourable to a fault: Your strategies will never rely on surprise or deception, your ships are painted bright shiny silver and your admirals will always give a speech to the enemy before battle.
Creaky Military: The military is under-budgeted, under-equipped and underfed. Kind of like the Russian fleet circa 1995. You simply don't have much in the way of a military. This flaw hits hard enough to provide two (2) bonus traits.
There Is No Internet: Your computers and electronics are like 2000s vintage. This sucks.
Third World: Even in the future, the third world is not known for technological superiority. While not as horrible as There Is No Internet, it's far more broad-based. Kiss your shields and artificial gravity good-bye for everything but the flagship.
Soylent Green Is People!: You have a giant elephant-sized skeleton in your closet. (You must describe this big nasty secret. Though only your nation knows it and even the best spies would have difficulty finding it.
Government Red Tape: This request cannot be processed at this time. Please take a number.
*Cult Of {Keyword}: All Hail Xenu!
*Hilariously Fail: Someone - a lot of someones - doesn't have much going on upstairs. Unfortunately they're disproportionately represented in your government and military.
Public Outcry: Your people have deep and strong opinions on some issues you'd really rather they didn't.
Wimpy: Maybe they're a low-gravity race or just didn't drink milk when growing up. No matter the cause, your people are short, skinny and weak. This is a bigger disadvantage than it sounds, as your fighter pilots will not be able to handle nearly as many Gs and your ships will likewise be relatively sluggish.
Paranoia!: In a universe full of planet-destroying aliens, a healthy dose of paranoia is only natural. It might make diplomacy difficult but at least they won't sneak up on you!
Trade Dependent: Exactly what it says. A good example is a Mars-like world that must import significant food to feed its populace.

---------------
Military:
Infantry:
meat-shields, snipers, shock troopers... give me a short sentence or two on all the types, as well as each groups equipment.
Vehicles
same as above. List em, describe em, and describe their equipment/armament. Anything on wheels/tracks/hover/legs is included, so artillery and support vehicles are included.
Aircraft
If it flies, but can't travel off of a planet without help, it goes here. NOT PART OF THE NAVY. List and describe.
Buildings
Mostly stationary turrets and fortresses and the like. Included planetary shields (Ray and particle are separate, but can be included in the same unit). List and describe.

Navy
Ship classes are by weight. Remember, more powerful ships are expensive, so they are less of them, and bigger ships are slower. Weight is in kilotons (Ktons or K))

Super Capitals: 45-55k (50k) (Typically referred to as Dreadnoughts and Super-Dreadnoughts)
Battleship: 30-40k (35k)
Carrier: 25-35k (30k)
Heavy Cruiser: 10-20k (15k)
Light Cruiser: 3-5k (4k)
Destroyer: 2-4k (3k)
Gunships: 1-2k (2k)
Heavy aerospace Squadron (bombers or gunboats): 0.5k
Medium aerospace Squadron (multi-role/strike fighters): 0.2k
Light aerospace Squadron (single role fighters): 0.1k

Each ship has its own class to describe how state-of-the-art, or how powerful it is.
Category A: Most mainline troops and vessels are Category A. Well-trained and equipped they are the backbone of any nation's military.
Category B: Typically seen as reservists or low-priority formations, Category B troops typically have older equipment. However, it can still be effective in the right situations and can free up more expensive equipment for priority missions.
Category C: There is no argument about the age of this equipment or the skill of the crews. However for less well-off states this is sometimes all that can be fielded in any quantity.
Category X: Few militaries can afford Category X equipment; its effects scale while its cost scale even more rapidly. For most nations this is limited to the most elite formations.
NOTE: Class B or C doesn't have to mean crappy ships. It can mean crappy crews as well. The class is just to describe the ship's fighting potential. A ship with advanced tech can still be a Class C if the crew is really crappy.

Each class has its own template, which is as follows. The templates will be using a 1-10 system to describe speed, firepower, and defense compared to the other ships in your navy.

Ship Hull: Capital, Carrier, Destroyer, etc.
Ship Class:
Weapons: List em and the number of each. Put the 1-10 number in parenthesis at the end.
Engines: List and put the number at the end.
FTL?: y/n Nations can save a lot of money by having no FTL drives on their smaller ships. These ships can be used for local defense and can simply use Gates to travel. Every system should have at least one Gate.
Armor: List and number.
Shielding: Both ray and particle. List and number.
Other: fighter complement and any other equipment worth mentioning.

Number of ships really isn't important. For scale, an average fleet has about 15-20 battleships, 0-5 super capitals, 150 escorts (anything below battelship), and a couple hundred to two thousand fighters if your races uses them.

just incase you were interested ^^

RegularRaskolnikov

Wow! That IS a very interesting system. It would definitely keep people from getting too beefy with their civilizations. It might be limiting in some ways, and it's a little formulaic. But it could definitely work. Thanks for sending this!

If I used such a system I might alter it a bit. In other words I'd simplify it a little bit.

ChaoticSky

hehe, believe me, this is the simplified version... the full one exceeds the post length of the RP-forum where i saw it first, and includes types of races, sizes of empires, and a more complex point/trait system based on worlds-owned, but stripped down works too. really the important bit is the traits, since it specifies what you have and dont, are and arent. thus preventing people from.... getting carried away. ^^.
scrapping the fleet/army type stuff wouldnt make much difference to the overall game, if you want to cut that... might want to leave in a 'ship-sheet' for the flagship or somthing maybe though.

but either way its up to you, im just pitching ideas since im interested ^__^

HairyHeretic

If you want a full scale Empire simulator, I can suggest one that runs well over 100 pages of pdf :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

sounds interesting!

for purely academic reasons, of course ^^. linky?

RegularRaskolnikov

No, No, A thousand times No to 100 pages of rules!

Frankly, I think that this system Darkling has posted is extremely workable. Thinking on it, people could definitely get carried away with their civilizations if we let them and we need to break it down into SOME kind of logical order.

I just have one question for everyone interested (both of you at the moment). How would you want to apply this system? Dice rolls or just the creative output of the writer? Do you think that we can trust the players here to resolve conflicts logically without strict numbers to determine more specific results?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on November 16, 2009, 04:21:43 PM
sounds interesting!

for purely academic reasons, of course ^^. linky?

http://www.vbamgames.com/

1st ed is a good system, and very detailed. I horribly butchered it and came up with a cut down version of my own that I'm in the process of beta testing at present.

Quote from: RegularRaskolnikov on November 16, 2009, 04:28:37 PM
No, No, A thousand times No to 100 pages of rules!

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting we add it in :)

Frankly, I think that this system Darkling has posted is extremely workable. Thinking on it, people could definitely get carried away with their civilizations if we let them and we need to break it down into SOME kind of logical order.

I just have one question for everyone interested (both of you at the moment). How would you want to apply this system? Dice rolls or just the creative output of the writer? Do you think that we can trust the players here to resolve conflicts logically without strict numbers to determine more specific results?

I'm not sure if anything along these lines has been tried before, so I honestly couldn't tell you how well it would work.

I was glancing over the Exalted 'Mandate of Heaven' rules, which let you play things out at a strategic level, and starting to figure out if it could be adapted for a rules lite way of dealing with an Empires doings. I think it would be workable, with a bit of tweaking.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RegularRaskolnikov

Do you have a link to the exalted rules or are you looking at the core rulebook or something? If so, can I look at it. I'm sure that tweaking will need to be done no matter what happens, anyway.

ChaoticSky

this system is, as you said, to stop people from getting carried away. i abhor dice/stat/roll oriented system games in forum RP :P and much preferr people sort themselves out

GreenHavok

I think this is a very cool idea. I've always been a fan of the Alpha Centauri/Civilization games. I'm definately interested.

RegularRaskolnikov

Excellent! The more the merrier.

I'd prefer to keep things freeform as well. Dice rolls can muddle things up. Still, I want to find something that at least most people agree on. At any rate. I think we have a pretty workable system here, but I want to make a few minor revisions. The concept is excellent, though.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: RegularRaskolnikov on November 16, 2009, 04:53:09 PM
Do you have a link to the exalted rules or are you looking at the core rulebook or something? If so, can I look at it. I'm sure that tweaking will need to be done no matter what happens, anyway.

2nd ed Storytellers Companion, at the back.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sydonai

you caught my interest indeed, if this does get off the ground, I'd like to join as well ;D

RegularRaskolnikov

Excellent! I'll send you a message once I get it started. Right now I'm trying to concoct an agreeable system. I'm basically bastardizing the trait system a little bit.

ChaoticSky

:'(

XD, kidding. curious though, what didnt you like about it?

RegularRaskolnikov

The system itself I really liked. Assigning different attributes to certain aspects of a nation. Essentially the only thing that I would change is how it's organized.

For example: If someone wanted to add certain biological advantages to their species. Natural defenses, and so on. I know that those are in this trait system, but I'd just break it down slightly differently. The system is perfectly workable as it is, all I'm doing is moving numbers around, basically. For example, I would think that the citizens being naturally tough and resilient would equate to more of a military statistic. Although I can see how it works where it is.

I'd like to implement a few more options into certain categories. Specifically Hyper-Tech. It's science fiction, after all. Why NOT have a super-heated death ray?

So, basically I'm just trying to see if it makes more sense to me re-organized.

DeviantMunster

I'm interested in joining this too, if it does ever get off the ground that is!

As a tiny side note, I think certain things like the citizens being naturally tough and resilient might not be necessarily militaristic. Perhaps a high tech civilization has simply, over the course of years through medical research, made them more healthy and stronger?

Oh! And out of curiosity, will there be psionic thingy-ma-jigs in this science fiction universe? Aaand... will there be say, a major, evil baddy? There always seems to some evil race or group of beings that come out to destroy and conquer all the worlds. IE: Reavers, Sith Empire, World Eaters, android/robot civilizations, evil mutating aliens, etc.

ChaoticSky

psionics are a problem if over emphasized, alot of 'points' get wasted on either employing or nullifying them, ive seen games with a similar system where half the points got spent on dealing with psionics, which seemed shenanigany to me 

if they are included, id recommend nothing more than a single population trait that points out the possibility.

also, in my experience, theres two version of space nations RPs; peaceful (or not) games that deal with the interactions between the races, and games where the factions unite against a common NPC foe.

i think this game is much more of the first (from what the OP is saying), and adding in a omni-foe would only create unnecessary tension

RegularRaskolnikov

Psionics could work if they were very limited and no more powerful than any other conventional weapon.

As for an ultimate baddie? No, not really. Unless one player decides to just wage war on EVERYTHING. In which case the other players would most likely unite until the race was either dead or just crippled and stranded on one planet with a constant detachment of warships in their airspace in case they tried anything ever again.

GreenHavok

I'm just wandering how peaceful races are going to survive. It seems like war would be the way to go.