News:

Main Menu

Essential iOS Apps

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 22, 2013, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I won't lie.. I stole the idea for this thread from Tharic's Android thread..

First off.. there are a LOT of Apps that work AWESOME on both my android Kindle HD and iOS platforms, so there will be some overlap. Some iPad apps work better than their iPhone/Pod peers (and vice versa.. so results will vary)

Games:
Angry Birds.. ALL of them (I have the original, Seasons, Rio, Space and Star Wars on either my phone or tablet)
Bad Piggies.
Clash of the Clans
Simpsons: Tapped Out
Plants Vs Zombies
Words HD

Ebook Readers (This includes comic readers fyi)
Kindle
Black Library (I have a few Warhammer FRPG urges I get to tend to by reading these)
Dark Horse (Mostly for Empowered right now)
ComicXology (LOTS of publishers availbe through this)
Goodreads

News & Ect
BBC
NPR
Zite
Probublica
60 Minutes
Dvice/Blastr (SyFy)

Productivity Apps
GoodReader (it's a PDF reader that lets you change the name, move to another app, unzip and remotely log onto your networked PC/Mac to download stuff you want to read on a tablet)
Outline (good outliner)
Index Card (Notes app that I can synch with my Scrivener program)

Network Utilities HERE is where my Kindle HD beats the iOS units.. I can get a wifi scanner on it.. nothing so far on the iPad/Phone.
Parallels (was useful till I moved to Goodreads for my remote access needs)
AirDisplay (Useful for a 2nd small display for my laptop when I'm working on something and like a 2nd window for PS or my IM program.. not so hot on retina display density..)

Photography
360 Panograph (Very nice 360 pana ap, it requires a very very steady hand for bigger shots)
ToonCamera (Nice for 'cartoon filtered shots)
Snapseed (Very nice editing program)
iPhoto (the other part of my editing suite)
8mm (still playing with it.. but has some very nice filters for videos)

Net Services
tumblr & Photobucket (Nice apps tied to the service)
Dropbox
Google Drive
Google Maps (still the best out there)
Google+ (needs a LITTLE tweak here and there..)

Video
Amazon Instant Video (Very nice if you got Amazon Prime like I do)
xfinity TV remote (helps do a lot of things better than the brick of a remote)
Ted
Hulu+
Cartoon Network (wish they had more things on there.. I think I'm the only person who doesn't get Adventure Time)

Miscellaneous
Alarm Clock by the Alarm Clock Company (it's got a lot of nice features.. like sleep feature.. so you can have it playing music and shut down when you go to sleep.. something they left off of the iPad)
Spotify (very nice)
Pandora
MobileFT Pro (I had fun wit this.. I worked up my family tree on the desktop, loaded the profile on my iPad and put it on the TV via Apple TV to show my folks what I had found. Made it a LOT easier to show 1200 years of family.)
Planetary (cause solar systems of each artist..with planets with 'moons' for each album/track is sooo cool)
Table Top Gaming needs I'm a gamer geek... mostly for Pathfinder Society play
Battle Map 2
PFR
iCrit/iFumble (Pathfinder apps, at the time it was the only way to get the crit fumble/hit decks as they were out of print at the time. And cheaper to boot)
Summoner Lite (Free way to track your summoned critters)

Neat Features
Yelp! for the iPad.. (strangely enough they don't have it on my iPhone but the iPad version can use the camera to get a AR overlay of the local stores in your area.. tie into wifi and look around to see what restaurants are around)

Shjade

I dunno about "essential," but Kingdom Rush is pretty good as app games go.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on February 01, 2013, 02:33:27 PM
I dunno about "essential," but Kingdom Rush is pretty good as app games go.

Essential is.. whatever you can NOT deal with on your smartphone/tablet. There are a few I have on my Kindle and a few on my iPad. :D (the Kindle was a gift)

Additionally I use

YNAB (You need a budget) and Things 2.0 for their ability to sync with the computer at home and over the phone/tablet. Very nice tools.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 01, 2013, 02:39:34 PM
Essential is.. whatever you can NOT deal with on your smartphone/tablet.

I'm not sure if this is what you actually meant or if you meant what you can't be without. Either way it's subjective. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on February 01, 2013, 07:32:24 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you actually meant or if you meant what you can't be without. Either way it's subjective. ;p

Well for some folks.. like my friend's son.. it's Instagram.. for my niece it's the Facebook app. I use Things a LOT and a few other apps.