Interstellar Slave Hunters

Started by Seereous, May 09, 2008, 01:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

I envison multiple threads. One for each different planet (desert planet, forest planet, city planet etc.). Maybe one common planet where the slaves are taken once captured. That way the climate can be dependant on the planet. I agree that freeform would be the way to go.

Vandren

I'm good with freeform (besides, only SF useful systems I'm experienced with are WEG's d6, GURPS, and Palladium).  SW tech sounds good.  I like the idea of multiple worlds, with a core base of operations.  The latter, I think, would be good for inter-hunter relationships, R&R, possibly politicking - depending on whether the hunters are disorganized (everyone for his/herself), semi-organized (mafia-like with some "leaders" to whom others owe alliegance), or organized (guild/union?).  Whatever the method, a central location would provide a good place for non-Adult action.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Haibane

We don't need separate worlds, all climate zones are available on one planet - Earth being a good example.

Sure we could have separate threads per climate but more important I think would be to decide how many 'hunted' players we have and how many differet races/species they want to play. Vastly differing species might imply separate planets or just different habitats on one large planet. We'd probably need to go for one thread per species/climate zone, plus base of ops thread for the hunters/market place.

Once captured and enslaved, what then? What is the plot after that in this game? Hunt-Capture-Sell-UseandAbuse-Throw Away Broken Husk then rinse and repeat sounds a little stale.

Rune

I agree. There should be a bit more plot. Should we leave that for the individual pairs to decide or whould we have a overall meta plot. (ie slave rebellion, galactic authorities try to break up the slavers. Rival slavers arrive. Or even plots regarding the slaves and the people who buy them.

Vandren

That's why I'm thinking some sort of guild/union for hunters or several rival guild/union/family-type entities would be good.  On one hand, it provides competition for the hunter characters, on the other it can provide some entity against which the captive characters can resist.  I'm thinking that with one or more organizations of hunters, some politicking, jockeying for position and territory, can come in for plots (in which captives could become important pieces, or hunters could masquerade as captives to infiltrate rival organizations, etc.)

Actually, I'm somewhat reminded of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Hunters of the Red Moon in which the slavers set things up to allow a revolt among their captives, in order to weed out the leaders/combative types who were then taken to special buyers.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Rune

RIght now it seems we have three people actively looking to start a game. I recently started a game where a scout crashlanded on a planet while scouting it for a slaver organization. It could easily tie in.

Before we make too many plans. We should determine what we have for players. If it just the 3 of us. Then one of us may have to run multi characters or one of us could drop out or we could recruit etc.

If we on this premise, I think I would like to change my character concept. I am thinking now of playing a government agent who was investigating the slavers activities. The agent got too close and was captured by the slavers. Now the agent is learning more about the slave trade than she ever wanted. Either that or she is an agent inserted by the slavers to find  the rebellions leaders. Of course she has to be treated as a slave to make it convincing...

SecreT

I have read all till here and I must say I'm overly interested on this idea.
I would like to participate as one of the slaves to catch
O&O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19326.0
All thoughts, all passions, all delights,
Whatever stirs this mortal frame,
All are but ministers of Love,
And feed his sacred flame.

Haibane

Quote from: Arcane on August 10, 2008, 04:01:19 PM
RIght now it seems we have three people actively looking to start a game.
Max and Shadowheart showed an interest on page 2, now SecreT, so we have 6.

QuoteIf we on this premise, I think I would like to change my character concept. I am thinking now of playing a government agent who was investigating the slavers activities. The agent got too close and was captured by the slavers. Now the agent is learning more about the slave trade than she ever wanted. Either that or she is an agent inserted by the slavers to find  the rebellions leaders. Of course she has to be treated as a slave to make it convincing...
With 6 players I think we need to focus down at the grass roots end of this idea - 2 or 3 hunters in a team vs 2 or 3 hunted. Or 3 v 2 plus a slaver/boss. There seems little point playing the higher end politicking if there's no actual hunting going on. Or have I lost the plot?

Also Arcane, you use the word "she" to describe your character, do you plan to play a female?

Rune

Depends. If I play a slave. I would prefer to play as a female. If I play as a hunter. I prefer male (perferably a alien type, maybe a Kzinti type.)

What does everyone else wish to play and does anyone wish to run more than one character?

shadowheart

As noted before, leaning to a female human pilot captured and enslaved.

But, there seem to be no end of slaves, and a distinct lack of hunters. :)

Rune

I would be willing to play a hunter if we truly need the role filled.

Haibane

I need to say that cross-gender players do rather squick me out. I just find it odd. If you want to CG play make sure you're nowhere near my character ;)

Rune

Not a problem. I understand completely. The way I look at it, it is like running a npc. I can distance myself from the character enough and still make it a good story, but I understand the ewe factor.

Vandren

I'd probably go hunter.  Gender up in the air at the moment.  I've run mostly males here, but the main characters in everything I've published have been female (with female editors making the publish decision), so I guess I'm reasonably good at 'em. ;)

Josietta

I'm not approved yet but this sounds interesting. Is it still something going on? or did i miss it?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

shadowheart

It's against my usual character *g*  but I will go hunter in this one if it'll get it going.  I'll make her a tempting target though, so if we get more hunters later maybe she can be betrayed and sold into slavery herself!   ;) ;D

Haibane

Quote from: Josietta on August 11, 2008, 05:58:13 PM
I'm not approved yet but this sounds interesting. Is it still something going on? or did i miss it?
Still being planned Josietta, so when you get approved come back and express your interest again. And good luck with the approval ;)

Vandren

Since no one has stepped forward to oversee things . . . if the only moderation the group wants is someone to approve characters, moderate player disputes, and take responsibility (basically the "hands off" moderator), I might be able to be the overseer. 

If the group wants a moderator who introduces plotlines and runs a mess of NPCs, then I don't think I'd be able to due to another game board and RL.

Rune

I think as players, we can can come up with our own plotlines and twist. We can even run our own npcs. We just need someone to start matching hunter-hunted pairs together.

Josietta

Still interested if it takes off. Just let me know something.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Vandren

Ok, one thing I was thinking of while making dinner is the following (comments/thoughts welcome):

Multiple interstellar governments have divvied up the galaxy, but the International Brotherhood of Hunters (motion to change "brotherhood" pending a vote among the membership) crosses boundaries.  As part of their agreement, the IBH can only legally hunt on certain worlds.  In order to ensure that members don't violate this agreement, the IBH operates a fleet of starships (capable of crossing the gulf between stars) while individual members operate spaceships (capable of achieving orbit and possibly "short range" interplanetary travel).  Thus, IBH carriers drop off hunters in spaceships at various stars then return in a set number of days to collect the hunters and ferry them to one of the IBH processing facilities.  The spaceships sacrifice long range FTL for heavier armor and weaponry to fend off pirates and whatnot.
________________________________________________________________________________

This popped into my head as a means of covering several things people brought up - individual or small group hunts, a single ship, multiple worlds, etc.  Of course, the ships could quietly drop special hunters near forbidden worlds from time to time.  And then there's the possibility of the carrier missing a pick up, or pirates, etc.

shadowheart

Quote from: Vandren on August 23, 2008, 06:58:24 PM
Ok, one thing I was thinking of while making dinner is the following (comments/thoughts welcome):

Multiple interstellar governments have divvied up the galaxy, but the International Brotherhood of Hunters (motion to change "brotherhood" pending a vote among the membership) crosses boundaries.  As part of their agreement, the IBH can only legally hunt on certain worlds.  In order to ensure that members don't violate this agreement, the IBH operates a fleet of starships (capable of crossing the gulf between stars) while individual members operate spaceships (capable of achieving orbit and possibly "short range" interplanetary travel).  Thus, IBH carriers drop off hunters in spaceships at various stars then return in a set number of days to collect the hunters and ferry them to one of the IBH processing facilities.  The spaceships sacrifice long range FTL for heavier armor and weaponry to fend off pirates and whatnot.
________________________________________________________________________________

This popped into my head as a means of covering several things people brought up - individual or small group hunts, a single ship, multiple worlds, etc.  Of course, the ships could quietly drop special hunters near forbidden worlds from time to time.  And then there's the possibility of the carrier missing a pick up, or pirates, etc.

Nice.  Like it.  And (my opinion) don't change Brotherhood.  I think it conveys the sense of patriarchal conspiratorial menace, if you will.

Again, will start with a slave huntress, if we get going, but hopeful that she is herself later sold into slavery.

Aragem

I would certainly like to play an exotic slave  ;)

Vandren

Well, since there's still interest, here's the next big question: where to host it

1) Take bishrook's offer of the Space Patrol/Champions board - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=90.0

2) A small games board (NC-Exotic?)

3) I can host in the Sorcery University board (NC-Ex) - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=71.0

Aragem

Also, since I realize that you don't have enough hunters, I'll play a hunter also.  Please, let me know where I can post my character sheets.  On this thread or do I PM them to someone?