News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Free word processor?

Started by Wolfy, November 07, 2010, 02:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Is there a free program out there that is like Microsoft Word (Or better) and can save files as word documents?

Trieste

Wolfy

Callie Del Noire

Yeah. Open office does most of the things that office does. It's a nice cross platform program

Zeitgeist

Google Docs also is an option. It isn't a package like Open Office is, much lighter and web based only. If your needs are basic and you want access on multiple computers, it too is a good choice. Also, you'll need a GMail account.

http://docs.google.com

Callie Del Noire

Good one. I forgot about the Google Docs.

Vekseid

Abiword is a popular alternative for people who don't like OpenOffice's bloat.

jouzinka

Personally, I'd be wary feeding the BigBrother with Googledocs. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: jouzinka on November 21, 2010, 04:23:24 PM
Personally, I'd be wary feeding the BigBrother with Googledocs. ;)

Can't you lock it and access it through secure settings?

Of course right now I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my networking class straight. Bloody network addressing stuff. It's a royal pain when you can't access the software with the book (my school got the Cisco books but not the packet tracker softwwaare license)

Rant done.

jouzinka

It's not about someone listening all that much as it is about your data resting on an anonymous server -somewhere- you don't know who has the access to.

But that's probably just me. ;-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Soran

Of course, if you aren't worried about having spell checks etc then just use wordpad or notebook

Oniya

I know Wordpad will save as .doc - Notepad doesn't.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jburkeinca

openoffice.org is actaully a really really good one! I reccomend it!