Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdwardShane

I'm admittedly a newbie when it comes to template stacking and multiclassing, as neither of those things have been stuff I have really done when playing D&D or Pathfinder.  ^^"  I could always try and see what kind of stuff is out there of course.

schnookums

I appreciate the idea Kunoichi but part of what got me interested was a chance to play a faerie dragon TBH. That being said Zaer, I'd rather use the writeup in Draconomicon for her race, as it would work without any modification for character building and not need the special dragon rules.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I am okay with draconomicon version. Anycase your dragon will be CR 16 version (should be mature adult) and you add just paragon creature template features atop what you get as dragon.

Kunoichi

Actually, Zaer, Schnookums just said that he wanted to play as the version of the Fairy Dragon that let him play with the regular triple gestalt rules. ^^; So he'd be playing the ECL 10 version.

avorae

Alright Zaer you have got me interested in this game. I have been looking at this game for a while now an must make a character based off of this picture.

The basic concept I have came up with is a person who believes in the power of nature. She tries not to use anything that she cannot gather or make on her own save for the most basic of items.

Her build will look something like this:

Gestalt 1:  Lycanthrope [Bear] 6/ ??? 6
Gestalt 2: ??? 7/ War Shaper 5
Gestalt 3: Druid 9/ Fist of the forest 3

Feats build
Human: Sacred Vow
1st: Vow of Poverty
3rd: Improved Unarmed Strike
6th: Great Fortitude
9th: Power Attack
12th: ???

If anybody has any suggestions for what I can do with the unanswered parts I would greatly appreciate it.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, first problem is that you can enter only one PrC in total, either to martial or mystical path and only one path you can multiclass (but it can be different path from one where is prestige class levels). Werebear (natural lycantrophe) has 6 HD + 3 LA. So you got 3 levels left to fill with templates (one gained as your lycantrophy is inherited). Or you can take monster PrC levels (this case Warshaper counts as monster PrC as it directly involves your lycantrophic shapeshifting abilities). Appearance wise she looks to be martial artist somesort (a monk? Werebears are usually lawful good alignment).

So she could have monk levels + fist of forest in martial side and then druid levels in mystic side (or spellcasting ranger in mystic side).

avorae

So it would look something like this then:

Gestalt 1:  Lycanthrope [Bear] 9/ War Shaper 3
Gestalt 2: Monk 9/ Fist of the forest 3
Gestalt 3: Ranger 12

Feats build
Human: Sacred Vow
1st: Vow of Poverty
3rd: Power Attack
6th: Great Fortitude
9th: ???
12th: ???

Kunoichi

You could always try using Anthropomorphic Brown Bear as your base race and then add on templates from there.  Monk/Fist of the Forest seems pretty fitting for your physical side, and Paladin could be extremely solid for your spellcasting side if you took the Serenity feat (and especially if Zaer allowed it to apply to all of your Cha-based Paladin class features, and not just the ones listed).

I think I'd recommend against taking Vow of Poverty, though.  At the levels we're playing it, the lack of magic items is going to hurt more than the boosts from the feat would help...

EdwardShane

So I think I am leaning more towards the succubus monk/sorceress a bit more.  Though I feel a need to ask, what would the racial statistics for a succubus be for the purposes of this rp?  Looking through the internet, I'm seeing multiple different versions, and some of them are just downright terrible...

TheGlyphstone

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#succubus

So you'd get +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con,  +6 Int, +4 Wis, +16 Cha, plus all the other succubus racial traits.

EdwardShane

okay, cool, thanks!  that definitely helps.

so we have 32 points to spend, and then all of that gets applied...excuse me while I tinker, and then I'll post the results and see what criticisms I can get from it.

the hardest part will be fleshing out the backstory, I expect...

schnookums

I...might need some help, or rather suggestions on getting started crunchybit-wise. There's just so much out there I can't even imagine where to start.

avorae

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 10, 2015, 09:55:28 PM
You could always try using Anthropomorphic Brown Bear as your base race and then add on templates from there.  Monk/Fist of the Forest seems pretty fitting for your physical side, and Paladin could be extremely solid for your spellcasting side if you took the Serenity feat (and especially if Zaer allowed it to apply to all of your Cha-based Paladin class features, and not just the ones listed).

I think I'd recommend against taking Vow of Poverty, though.  At the levels we're playing it, the lack of magic items is going to hurt more than the boosts from the feat would help...

The only problem with the Athro is I can't get Warshaper which is something I really want. The paladin idea is a good one though especially since I am going to be LG.

Also upon further consideration I must agree that the lost of magic items is tragic at this level so I seriously think upon whether I shall keep the feat or not.

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 10, 2015, 10:13:20 PM
the hardest part will be fleshing out the backstory, I expect...

That is always the part that stumps me as well

PaleEnchantress

So many female characters. I was thinking I may play a female just to help the DM keep me supplied in kink. With so many other women I'll have to get the poisoned apples ready. Make a wish.

PS: I realized with vampire lord there isn't much benefit to taking paladin. Ill see what I else I can come up with.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

EdwardShane

Quote from: schnookums on April 10, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
I...might need some help, or rather suggestions on getting started crunchybit-wise. There's just so much out there I can't even imagine where to start.

A good starting point would be your base stats. 

http://1d8.blogspot.com/2011/02/d-35-point-buy-calculator.html

^ that's what I used to decide my point allocation, of which you get 32 points, IIRC.

As it stands:

Gestalt 1:  Monk 12
Gestalt 2: Sorcerer 10/Argent Savant 2
Gestalt 3: Succubus

STR: 14 (12 base + 2 racial)
DEX: 20 (15 base + 2 racial + 3 from hit die)
CON: 16 (14 base + 2 racial)
INT: 16 (10 base + 6 racial)
WIS: 22 (15 base + 4 racial + 3 from hit die)
CHA: 28 (12 base + 16 racial)

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 10, 2015, 10:27:08 PM
So many female characters. I was thinking I may play a female just to help the DM keep me supplied in kink. With so many other women I'll have to get the poisoned apples ready. Make a wish.

PS: I realized with vampire lord there isn't much benefit to taking paladin. Ill see what I else I can come up with.

Playing a monk, your poison tastes like cotton candy :P
...also succubi are already immune to poison.  She's...doubly immune?  Is that a thing?

TheGlyphstone

You'll probably want to either use Chaos Monk, or spend a feat for Sexy Kung Fu (the homebrewed feat we've made here that lets Monk class features trigger off Charisma instead of wisdom).

EdwardShane

Ooooh, that's a thing?  I may use that homebrewed feat instead then, and adjust my stats a little.

I have no idea how a chaos monk works, but I would be interested to look it over

Zaer Darkwail

Going asleep now, Kunoichi and other players can help with char gen stuff.

EdwardShane

Yeah, I think I'll go with chaos monk.  Namely because it replaces some of the redundant class features a lawful monk would get with stuff I could potentially make use of, and lets me make the most of that beautiful charisma boost. 

New Stat Line

STR: 14 (12 base + 2 racial)
DEX: 20 (15 base + 2 racial + 3 from hit die)
CON: 16 (14 base + 2 racial)
INT: 16 (10 base + 6 racial)
WIS: 16 (12 base + 4 racial)
CHA: 34 (15 base + 16 racial + 3 from hit die)

Kunoichi

Chaos Monk isn't a charisma-based class, actually.  I suggested that Cerulean take it alongside the Sexy Kung Fu feat because it was a particularly fitting choice for her character. ^^;

Also, don't forget the free Paragon Creature template.  That's another +15 to all stats.

EdwardShane

It's not?  I found this and the first ability listed said it was.  o.O  or am I looking at the wrong one?  Not that I am trying to argue, just a tad confused.  I'll take the feat if that's what's needed

Also, holy shit, that's a huge boost.  This is gonna take some time to complete the character sheet lol.  Need to rework a few stats with that in mind, I like even numbers >_<

Also I should mention I plan for her to be neutral, not evil.  I like playing things outside the norm :P

Kunoichi

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 10, 2015, 11:02:23 PM
It's not?  I found this and the first ability listed said it was.  o.O  or am I looking at the wrong one?  Not that I am trying to argue, just a tad confused.  I'll take the feat if that's what's needed

Also, holy shit, that's a huge boost.  This is gonna take some time to complete the character sheet lol.  Need to rework a few stats with that in mind, I like even numbers >_<

You're looking at the wrong one, yes.  The one you want is in Dragon Magazine #335, and it looks like the one you linked to is homebrew material that used the Dragon Magazine version as a base and then changed around a lot more class features in an attempt to make it a more powerful class.

EdwardShane

Ahhhh okay.  I found the real version now, thanks for helping clear it up.  It looks like some of the stuff that replaces redundant abilities still is in place, so it still seems better.

I may have to wait until tomorrow to work more fully on the character sheet portion.  I need to familiarize myself with the paragon template a bit more, among other things.  For example, how does the triple gestalt thing affect stuff like saving throws, BAB, hit points, skill points, etc etc?  Do they all just get added together, or is there a more complex thing that I need to do?  Also, how do hit points for each hit die get resolved, do they need to be rolled individually, are they automatically maxed, or is it half of max plus one?

Once I get all of that nitty gritty number stuff done I can worry about feats and gear lol

TheGlyphstone

It works like regular gestalt, except with 3 tracks instead of 2. Or are you not familiar with gestalt in general?