Help out a Facebook newb...

Started by Beorning, June 19, 2015, 01:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

It was brought to my attention that I should probably start using Facebook. Which I've avoided for the last few years... but I should probably cave in, considering that many people consider it a prime venue of communication.

So... could you guys help me out? I have a FB profile set up and a few friends added. But what can I do with this thing now, exactly?

I mean... can I post blog notes? Share pictures? I've seen that some people are "subscribed" in some way to other people's page and receive updates from there etc. How do I do that?

I know these are totally newbie questions, but I really have no solid idea how this whole thing works...

Oniya

You can post whatever you want that doesn't violate FB's terms of service (I've never pushed too close to the edge there). 

As for subscribing to a page: First, find a page that suits your interests.  If you click on the name or the avatar, it should take you to the 'home page' of that user/group/whatever.  Click 'Like' or 'Follow', the same way that you clicked 'Friends' to add your FB friends.  (Sometimes both options will be available, sometimes only one will.  For example, This page only has the 'Like' option.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on June 19, 2015, 01:42:40 PM
You can post whatever you want that doesn't violate FB's terms of service (I've never pushed too close to the edge there).

What about sharing things like Youtube videos - of the kind where someone combines someone else's music with someone else's images, like this WH40K video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18moPwvPkIQ

Does it violate any terms of service? Could I get sued by, say, RIAA for sharing something like that? Sorry if it's a weird question, copyright laws make my head hurt...

As for subscribing to a page: First, find a page that suits your interests.  If you click on the name or the avatar, it should take you to the 'home page' of that user/group/whatever.  Click 'Like' or 'Follow', the same way that you clicked 'Friends' to add your FB friends.  (Sometimes both options will be available, sometimes only one will.  For example, This page only has the 'Like' option.)

Thanks. So, I can only follow pages that are on FB? There's no mechanism for me to follow, say, blogger posts or webcomics (that don't have a FB page)?

Another question I thought of: how do I share a photo? Does every photo I upload get shared on my wall / timeline (or whatever it's called now)?

On more serious note, are there any privacy settings? Can I control who sees what etc.?

Oniya

People link to videos all the time.  ALLLL the time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

KieraJade

Quote from: Beorning on June 19, 2015, 01:51:34 PM
What about sharing things like Youtube videos - of the kind where someone combines someone else's music with someone else's images, like this WH40K video:

Does it violate any terms of service? Could I get sued by, say, RIAA for sharing something like that? Sorry if it's a weird question, copyright laws make my head hurt...

Thanks. So, I can only follow pages that are on FB? There's no mechanism for me to follow, say, blogger posts or webcomics (that don't have a FB page)?

Another question I thought of: how do I share a photo? Does every photo I upload get shared on my wall / timeline (or whatever it's called now)?

On more serious note, are there any privacy settings? Can I control who sees what etc.?

Long time Facebook user here. Been around that thing since it was THEFacebook, back when it was only for students with an .edu email address... Dating myself, I know.

Sharing a video off of YouTube is no biggie. If it violates any terms of service on Facebook, it could get "reported" but you will not get sued or anything major. Worst that can happen is that it will get taken down. Or you'll get the "Content Unavailable" space on there.

And you can only follow or subscribe to Facebook pages on Facebook, yes. Most authors or bloggers will have Facebook pages, however. You just have to search them out. Usually on their blogs or websites there will be a little Icon directing you there. At least, there should be if their marketing has done its job.

When you can "post" to your Facebook wall it gives you the option to uploading a photo. Yes, it will notify everyone you are friends with that you have uploaded this photo if you don't choose certain options. You can choose NOT to publish photos. Which means they will be on your page, but won't show up on others newsfeeds. You can also choose for certain photos to only be viewable to friends, or a certain set of friends. And not the general public.

I highly, highly recommend going through your Settings. Privacy Settings and all. It gives you a lot of options for people's ability to search for you, not search for you, view your photos, etc.

Hope this helps!! Feel free to ask any other questions.
#prismbreaker
"I am not a committee!"

Beorning

Quote from: KieraJade on June 22, 2015, 05:44:22 PM
Sharing a video off of YouTube is no biggie. If it violates any terms of service on Facebook, it could get "reported" but you will not get sued or anything major. Worst that can happen is that it will get taken down. Or you'll get the "Content Unavailable" space on there.

Thanks. I was wondering about that - especially regarding all that music people put on Youtube. I mean, most of it is kind of pirated, right..? So, I wonder if sharing it on Facebook is illegal or could get you targeted by RIAA...

I highly, highly recommend going through your Settings. Privacy Settings and all. It gives you a lot of options for people's ability to search for you, not search for you, view your photos, etc.

I looked into it, but I admit that I still don't know how to set some things. For example, is it possible to hide my friends from non-friends browsing my profile?

KieraJade

Quote from: Beorning on June 23, 2015, 05:00:11 AM
For example, is it possible to hide my friends from non-friends browsing my profile?

If you are friends with someone, they can browse your profile. You can set certain posts for just certain people to see - that is done when you post something. There is an option that comes up at the bottom of the posting box titled something like "Who can see this?" and it gives you the ability to set just certain groups of friends or all friends, or public, etc.

A good rule of thumb: If you wouldn't plaster it on a billboard on the side of a highway, don't post it to Facebook.

It is possible to keep non-friends from browsing your stuff, however. In the settings, which is under the little down arrow next ot where you sign in, there is a "Privacy" settings button. That allows you to set who sees your profile, who can search for you, how they search for you, who can send you friend requests, etc.
#prismbreaker
"I am not a committee!"

Morrowclaw

Quote from: Beorning on June 23, 2015, 05:00:11 AMI looked into it, but I admit that I still don't know how to set some things. For example, is it possible to hide my friends from non-friends browsing my profile?

I have my privacy set very high. Nothing can be posted on my page with out my consent which means I get to view and approve it first. I'm not a big fan of my birthday so this year I disabled people being able to write publicly to me. I will still pop up if you search for my name but all you can see is my current picture and name.Only my actual confirmed friends can see my pictures and information. It's not the best for privacy but it is a social media site focused on connecting and sharing so that's to be expected. I can safely say though, I've never had any scares with my privacy or information on there...that I know about of course.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story