Ssieth's Elliquiy Script Initial Install & Setup Tutorial (image heavy)

Started by Mister Morgue, July 04, 2019, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Morgue

Hey there! So for those of you who haven't heard of Ssieth's wonderful Elliquiy script, let me sing its praises for you! Honestly, if you use E a great deal, it can really save you time, and allow you to keep track of all sorts of things. Now, I may not be an expert on all the things that this script provides, but I can at least show you how to get it set up, and the features that I find the most useful for my posting needs - of course if others have suggestions and know of useful things the script can do, they're more than welcome to share!

Under each step you'll find a bunch of spoilers inside, under each of those spoiler tags is a screenshot of what I'm hoping to show you. Clicking the spoiler tag will open the spoiler, clicking it again will close it and re-hide the contents it holds! Of course my look and feel of E will probably be very different from yours, but I'm hoping that the visual will help you out all the same!

Step One: Installing
Step One: Installing

First off, you're going to have to go here in order to get the script. If you read through the first post it will give you a general over view of what you need.

Now, depending on your browser, you're going to install something called GreaseMonkey or TamperMonkey - I personally use the latter on firefox, which you can find here, but you can get it for chrome as well over here. I'll use chrome as an example since I didn't have it installed there.

1. Click the
"Add to Chrome"

button to install Tampermonkey (or Greasemonkey). Once installed, Tampermonkey will open up a window with information saying it was successfully installed, you can close this window.

2. Navigate to Ssieth's script page, and
install

the script she has linked there.

3. Once installed, you'll see a little icon appear in your browser bar, if you click on it you'll get this
dropdown menu
. You'll want to go to the
dashboard
in order to make sure the E script installed correctly and is turned on. If you see
this
then it's installed and turned on.

Step Two: Cleaning up
Step Two: Cleaning Up!

Now, let's go back to E! If the script is indeed working, you'll see a little
number
pop up on that TamperMonkey icon, this means that the script is active on the page that you're on!

Refreshing your browser will reveal a ton of new things that weren't on E before you installed the script, and I'm going to try to go through them with you and help you figure out how to handle all the new information!

The first thing you'll probably notice is the big bar talking about the new version of the script. It provides a link that takes you back to Ssieth's thread and gives you an overview of all the changes that have been made with the latest version of the script! But to get rid of that big bar, simply click the
link at the bottom
and it will disappear until the next time the script updates!

The other thing that will probably pop up is a
red notice
of replies, as well as the
replies
section on the navigation bar. These will both lead to the same place if clicked, but the drop down bar will take you to the latest post for that thread. If you're like me and you don't want to be told every single time a reply is made on a thread you posted in once ages ago, you're going to have to go to each of those threads and click the
ignore replies
button. After that, you will no longer get notifications of replies posted to those threads!

Step Three: Settings
Step Three: Settings

In the navigation bar, you'll find a link called
Script Settings
. Hovering over it will give you a drop down, but for now you're just going to click straight on that button, and pull up the settings menu for the script.

You're going to see a list of things that you can click on to drop down your settings. You can easily spend a great deal of time here, and some of it is going to be a little confusing. Most of these options, however, you can hover your cursor over and you'll get a little information on each item.

One of the things you might notice right away when going to look at your RP posts, however, is that now all your dialogue is (unless otherwise coded), highlighted in blue. This is because of a
Styling effect
within the settings. You can change the colour of it here, but if you don't like it at all, you can also turn it off!

Useful Tools
Useful Tools

Snippets
Snippets - Snippets are a really useful tool if you do a lot of headers in posts, or have formatting that you need to do for group posts, or personal threads such as your A/As and Interest threads. You want to make sure that they're turned on in the
settings
menu first! Under the dropdown menu that pops up under
Script Settings
, you'll see one for Snippets. Clicking on this will pull up the option to Add a Snippet, right now you won't have any, but I'm going to show you why they're so useful!

If you have headers that you use in posts, you can take that header code, and input it into the
Snippet content bar
. After you name the snippet, just click on "Set" and it will add it to your current snippets. No matter what order you add these in using this tool, they will always appear in alphabetical order in the snippet menu. Eventually, if you're like me, you're going to end up with a
huge list

Now, this is where things get good! In order to utilize those snippets you created, all you have to do is go to make a new post! The
snippet tool
will appear on the top right of the editor.
Hovering over
the word "Snippet" will pull up a drop down menu of all the snippets you created. All you have to do is make sure you're focused on the main editing window, and click on whichever snippet you need - it will
automatically insert
that snippet into the editor window!

Quick Topics
Quick Topics - Quick topics are great for if you go to a bunch of specific threads pretty often, or have personal threads and trackers for challenges like ElliWriMo or Elliquiy BINGO! In the
Settings menu
that you were in before (you get to this by clicking on "Script settings" in the main navigation toolbar), you'll see a section for Quick Topics. Just make sure that's turned on. Personally, I turn off having the quick topic go to the last post, because I use my Quick Topics for trackers and personal threads like A/As and O/Os and whatnot, and don't need to see the latest post. If you want this feature, just leave it checked!

In order to add a quick topic, all you have to do is go to the thread you want to add, and click on one of the new
fancy buttons
that are at the top of the thread. This will add it to the quick topic
dropdown menu
. To navigate to one of your quick topics, just hover over the link and click whichever one you wish to go to, and BAM! You're there!

If you need to remove one of your quick topics, or you want to re-name them, just
click on Quick Topics
in the navigation bar, and it will pull up an editor window. Just like with snippets, these usually appear in the dropdown in alphabetical order. So if you want them to be listed in a specific way, add numbers like I did! You can also delete your quick topics from here, or from the thread directly by clicking "Remove Quick Topic" at the top of the page where you originally hit the button to add it.

Drafts
Drafts - Drafts. Drafts are sometimes a lifesaver. There are other scripts that you can install that will save your posts for you, but drafts are built into the script to help you from losing something you worked really hard on! To make sure that they're turned on, go into the
Settings menu
and turn them on! By default, the auto-save feature is set to 0, you can change this to however many minutes you want, I set it to 1, so that once every minute it saves a draft that, should my browser crash, will load up when I come back to the editor for that thread.

You can also
manually save
drafts, by clicking "Save Draft" at the bottom of the editor. A little "Drafts"
notice
will pop up at the top of the editor (next to Snippets), and will show you the draft you have saved. Clicking a particular draft will load it into the editor.

If you turned on that setting initially, after you post those drafts will be removed. Otherwise, you can simply click the "clear draft" button under the editor to remove the drafts it has saved for that thread.