Caravanserai [The Lotus Restaurant | Calypso’s Bar]

Started by Flower, July 08, 2018, 08:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaclyn

Name: Katrina von Roissy
Date | Time: June 6, 2020. after checking in an d arriving at Mirage, the bar
Wearing: Blue, warm weather onesie
Tagging: Brandon (bartender), Steffy Dubois, Open

… locally sourced? ... who gives a shit where the drinks are grown? …

  “Yeah, sand cucumber I suppose! Watered with camel piss for all I care! Like I don't give a shit where they grow the gin, just so they got it!”

… what do I make of the scene so far …

  “Well let's see now. The scene. Two and a half damn days on a fuckin' camel and sleepin rough with no booze. Yeah, this is heaven. You found any ganje here yet? I'm too damn sober and the world needs more distortion!”

… yeah, I need to get fucked too! ... that camel driver stank but maybe he had a good one ... not that he'd tried to share! …

HockeyGod

Name: Brandon Murphy
Date | Time: June 6th 2020 | Mid-Morning
Wearing: Bartender uniform (in the pic)
Tagging: Joseph & anyone else in the bar

Upon ensuring everyone had their desired drinks, Brandon made his way over to a new guest. The gentleman was dressed casually as most guests at Caravanserai.

"Welcome to Mirage, sir, I trust your check in went well." Brandon wiped the counter off and offered a broad smile. "What kind of drink can I get for you?"

OOC: feel free to PM me or tag me in the OOC thread if I've missed your request for a drink. It was not intentional ;)

LocusVonErich

Name: Joseph Edwards
Date | Time: 6 June 2020, around 3pm
Wearing: White khakis, white button down shirt with sleeves rolled to the elbow and the buttons only buttoned up to the solar plexus
Tagging: Brandon Murphy, Katrina von Roissy, Open

"Woodford Old Fashioned, and a cigarette if possible." Joseph would reply. After a few moments, a different bartender would come in and take the place of the one Joseph had spoken with. His drink would come immediately. The cigarette...it didn't seem as though that was coming anytime soon. He needed to quit anyway. Needed being the operational word, as the need to quit and his want for quitting were, at best, diametrically opposed.

Two stools over, Joseph saw two women talking, one much more boisterous than the other. That one was the one that drew his attention. Taking a sip of his boozy beverage, Edwards would turn his body to face both women. "Being astride a beast with a mind of his own definitely was the worst part of the journey. Unfortunately, the last time I even saw marijuana was Tangiers...and I smoked my last cigarette on the drive from Casablanca to the meet-up point for the camel drivers."

Steffy

Steffy Danielle Dubois, Adventurer
Date | Time: post check-in, changed, bar time
Wearing: Summer dress
Tagging: KvR, Khalil, Brandon M and anyone else wandering by

I thought the blonde would get the joke about locally sourced—blonde to blonde, but she seems in a detox sort of mood.  I look at the well-stocked bar and smile, “Well, we’ve just met but I suspect that in a war between you and the bar, the bar is well stocked at least for a first onslaught.”

I think I catch the eye of the bartender and point to the drink I want.

I look around again.  “I don’t know.  Maybe this Khalil got caught up in registry.  Night and day there.  Turns out a stud in workout clothes, my guy, was not the go-to person for registry.  I started with him.  Lalita, yes Lalita was the go-to person.  (giggle) I mean for registry.  But Khalil?  Who knows what happened to him?” 

“As for ganja, I came in on camel as well.  A couple.  One carried necessary supplies. . . . and you needn’t surmise. Yes, my own supply of ganja.”   I shrug (a girl’s gotta take care of herself).

Jaclyn

Tagging: Brandon (bartender), Steffy Dubois, Joseph Edwards, Open

… ooh, the guy down the bar asks for a ciggy ... maybe later? .... talk past Steffy ... he's kinda cute too …

  “They have a mind? I named my beast Fire Dragon because it seemed to have fire inside it and I could hear it wheezing fire as it flopped along. Kinda weird how they don't walk normal, Gimme a horse any day, they walk normal! By the way, I'm Käti and this is Stgeffy. What's your name?”

… Steffy announces she has her own supply of ganja  …

  “Yeah, we came in with a whole bunch, only three for me and my translator and my luggage. But we had a bunch of other camels with us too. You got some I can buy?”

… try to get Brandon's attention as he serves the guy down the bar …

HockeyGod

Name: Brandon Murphy
Date | Time: June 6th 2020 | Mid-Morning
Wearing: Bartender uniform (in the pic)
Tagging: Joseph, Katrina, Steffy & Open

Brandon nodded with a smile at Katrina. He quickly assembled the items for the Hendricks with tonic. Brandon added the cucumber for the dash of freshness. "Please enjoy." He set them down in front of Katrina and Steffy.

2 more Hendricks and tonic with cucumber

Moving on to Joseph's order, Brandon noted the refined pallet...with an addition of a cigarette. The bartender assembled the items - 50ml Woodford Reserve, 10ml sugar syrup, 3 dashes of Angostura Bitters, cubed ice and orange zest. He combined the sugar syrup and bitters in the tumbler then added roughly a third of the Woodford Reserve with three ice cubes and stirred. Brandon diligently repeated until all the Woodford Reserve was added. Brandon garnished with a twist of orange zest to serve.

High end drink

Brandon went into a environmentally controlled cabinet and pulled out a box. Inside was a collection of cigarettes and cigars. "Please sir, your choice?"

LocusVonErich

Wearing: White khakis, white button down shirt with sleeves rolled to the elbow and the buttons only buttoned up to the solar plexus
Tagging: Brandon, Käti, Steffy, Open

"I prefer being in control of my means of transportation. If it can move itself, no thank you. Horses are even dumber than camels. I know, I grew up in an area known for both horse breeding and the most famous horse race in the United States." His opinion over using sentient animals as transport would not change. "It's Edwards. Joseph Edwards." Joseph would extend his hand for his introduction, his voice still like black velvet. The one known as Steffy would announce that she had her own supply of ganja, which definitely made her companion happy.

After the intros, the original bartender appeared and would refresh drinks, the craftwork of the man was something to be appreciated. And it was even more surprising to find that cigarettes were indeed available. "A pack's worth for me and a box of matches. Brand doesn't matter as long as the tobacco is either from Kentucky or Turkey. And whatever my conversational partners here would like. Also, if there's a specific smoking section, could you point it out for me? Please and thank you." This time, he would produce an American 100 dollar bill, looking at it as if he had never even seen such a denomination of money before, hesitantly handing it off to the bartender.

Steffy

Tagging: KvR, Khalil, Brandon M, Joseph Edwards and anyone else wandering by

I take my drink served adroitly by Brandon.  “Please start a tab.  If you would, place it on my room bill.  Dubois.  Steffy.”  I smile at the tender.

When Katrina asks about ‘buying’, my eyes scan the bar again, this time not looking for Khalil, but making sure (hopefully) no one turns a legal eye askance at our conversation.  “Sure.  I can sell you some.  Do you think there might be a . . . market?”  A small network might have its advantages.  Maybe this one could be a part of that.  Is she functioning or not?—have to see.

I take a sip of my drink.  I ‘thumbs-up’ Brandon and continue with Katrina, “I can have three camels a week if need be.” 

Then, I ask Katrina, “Any idea how long the bartender has been working here?  I have a feeling that I may need some contacts developed in the red light district.  It would be nice to not start fresh.”

In the midst of all this, Joseph walks by and introduces himself.  For a moment, I'm suspicious, but set the reaction to the side.  “Hello Joseph.  I’m Steffy.  My newest friend is Katrina.  Smoking?  (Sigh).  In the States, it’s all non-smoking.  Nice of you to ask.  At least for me, smoking is fine as long as all evidence wafts in a direction away from me.  If not, I’ll break your arm.” (Smile).

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Brandon, Käti, Steffy, Open

After receiving the items requested and paid for, he turned his attention back to his new compatriots. "If you're looking for a means of getting stuff in...I'd say start in Morocco. It's a lot more liberal as to the sort of....substances that Käti is looking for. I'd also recommend that you possibly import it in the form of majoon. It's a confectionary they make, and it's definitely a fun ride. I was going to step out onto the patio to smoke, honestly. I'm not a fan of doing it in enclosed spaces. Though you're both more than welcome to join me, I would like it if you did. For a few moments, at least." Steffy's hesitant nature put Joseph a bit off kilter, but he was willing to roll with it. Hopefully their conversation put her a bit more at ease.

Steffy

Tagging: KvR, Khalil, Brandon M, Joseph Edwards and anyone else wandering by

I like someone who can stand his ground and Joseph does, mostly—suggesting a smoke on the patio.  He even asks us to join him.  “Sure, why not?”

I take my drink, open my purse and put down a generous tip for Brandon.  “Brandon, if a fellow named Khalil comes in looking for Steffy, moi, I’m in the patio.  Can you point him that way?”

Katia has not yet responded to the invite.  (Smile).  “Join us Katia.  If we need someone on our wing, we can help each other out.   Besides you and I can make ‘arrangements’ and Joseph even seems to be one of those knowledgeable folk.”     

I wrap my arm around Joseph’s, “To the patio Joseph.  I trust you can be a charmer.”

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Open

"Yes, ma'am, you can." A bit of his native Southern accent bleeding through his silk voice, Joseph would take his cigarettes and place them in his pocket. Taking his drink in his left hand, he would allow Steffy to clutch his right arm and then lead her through the double doors outside to the expansive patio. The desert would stretch out to eternity as they faced east, the sun shone with white hot intensity as Joseph found a shady place for them to have a seat, Käti was hopefully not too far behind.

Pulling a cigarette out of the pack, Joseph would strike a match and light the stick while puffing away. Taking great care to remain downwind of his newfound friend, Joseph would draw smoke and exhale, letting out a sigh of contentment. "So, Miss Steffy...may I ask what compelled you to seek out this veritable utopia in the midst of one of the largest deserts on Earth?" Taking a sip of his drink, Joseph allowed himself to get comfortable here, or at least as approximately as he could, given the dry heat.

Steffy

Tagging: KvR, Khalil, Joseph Edwards and anyone else wandering by

We enter the patio.  “How lovely!”   I take a seat at a table, setting my drink down.  “What brings me here? . . . Well, it’s not doing dope.”  I think of Kati.  “That’s finance.  Maybe.  The romance?  Under those sands out there, there are ruins of ancient societies.  And in those ruins there were valuable artifacts.  Stolen.  I’m thinking I’d like to steal the artifacts back.” 

“That offers a little bit of everything.  Some sun.  Exercise.  Even a camel ride.” I giggle, thinking of Kati’s camel ‘friends’.  “And you Joseph?  How did you come to be here?”

LocusVonErich

Date | Time: 6 June 2020, mid-afternoon

'An adventure type...' Joseph thought to himself as he attentively listened to Steffy talk about ancient ruins, artifacts."I've been working my ass off for 15 years, living like a pauper...I just so happened to come into a fortune that I couldn't even hope to deplete on my own. So...I decided that it was time I lived as a rich man does...or at least as how I imagine a rich man would...and living in paradise surrounded by a veritable hell seemed to be the way to do that." Joseph would chuckle with slight sarcasm as he took another drag off his cigarette.

Steffy

Lucky man I think.  I don’t know if Kati is a gold-digger, but I’m not.  “ So the life of luxury Joseph.  Nice.  Or it can be.  If things are too easy, it can be hellish.  (giggle).  But ‘if I’m cast into hell, at least let it be with money’ right?”

“I’m close to a ‘trust baby’.  You know one of those endowed with lots of money.  I have a benefactor who appreciates my social views.  Sooooo . . . he funds my rather extreme expenses.  (giggle) Alas and alack, I feel compelled to take care of expenses whenever I can.”

“You heard my discussion with Kati?  I mean it’s not wrong and it does finance things that are good.”

I take a sip of my drink, “Be careful.  I might get all philosophical on you.”

“So what are your big ticket wealthy guy purchases?  What’s in store for you?”  I look at Kati.  “Don’t tell me you’re in the market for a trophy wife.”   (Smile).  “Or maybe the question should be what do you plan on getting with your money besides a trophy wife?” 

LocusVonErich

"Eh...trophy wife ain't in the list of purchases for the moment. I'd rather make some friends, have myself some fun...encounters...if you will." That line was laying it on a bit thick, but he wasn't exactly going to blatantly be crude or obscene. "If I find myself committing to a singular or small group of partners, so be it. But I'm not going to go out of my way to make commitments of that nature." Joseph would light a new cigarette, noting that his drink was beginning to be on the empty side.

"My step-father had a penchant for business, I picked up a few tricks over the years. If you're looking to go into business...I'm definitely game. As for philosophy...I'm a simple man. I'm not one for ivory towers...but if my conversation partner is compelling enough, waxing philosophical can be fun from time to time." He would take a drag and kill off the remainder of his drink. Picking up one of the half melted ice cubes, he would wipe his face, attempting to cool down at least a little.

Steffy

Well, if Kati is a gold-digger, she now knows that the quarry is wary, but aren’t they always?

Joseph wants to sew his oats for a while it seems.  “I’m the same way.  No commitments.  Enjoy . . . interactions(?)  New experience.  No tie-downs.  ‘Tie-downs’.  I mean commitments.  The other, well that’s been done.  Once in a while.”  I give Joseph a knowing look.

With his suggestion of business, I nod.  “I do like business.  I’ve got one that’s socially ‘good’, that has a bit of adrenaline potentially—the danger thing—but the ganja thing’s not the main business.  Although I’m not against developing that.” 

Jaclyn

Tagging: Brandon (bartender), Steffy Dubois, Joseph Edwards, Open

… I accept Steffy's invitation and we go out onto the patio ... to, um, to blow a smoke ... giggle at the 'trophy wife' remark and Joseph's response …

  “Trophies are overrated! I used to keep track of how many rich boys had propositioned me for the missus position. Thank you, no. I'm with you Joseph. Encounters are more fun.”

… hold out my fingers toward Joseph hoping he'll yield his smoke for a moment …

  “Just one puff. My next encounter will then be dizzy blonde. I play that part well!” #Giggle

… our drinks are getting low and still no ganja …

LocusVonErich

Steffy's tone definitely conveyed that she had picked up on where Joseph was going with his euphemistic line. And in turn, she had fed it back to him, implying an enjoyment of certain....activities...maybe if the cards were played right, they could take the opportunity to explore such things. Steffy was a beautiful woman, he wouldn't have minded one bit. However, his musings into what people enjoy in the dark had caused him to miss a line of her next topic.

Käti had finally joined them, and was asking for a cigarette, it seemed. "Here, you can finish this one off." Joseph passed her the cigarette, it indeed was only one or two solid drags from being depleted.

"I tend to take more of a silent partner approach to most business. I find that if I don't have expertise, that providing nothing besides capital and letting those who are knowledgeable handle the rest is more beneficial." He hoped that his stumbling had been corrected, that he had been able to keep the conversation going. "As for ganja, I can't say that I partake of it with any regularity. But, providing it for those who do here at our little oasis could definitely be lucrative. But, while I am interested in making my money make money, my primary goal is to eat, drink, smoke, and enjoy the rest of my remaining years. As much as I miss home, I could die here without ever seeing America soil again."

Steffy

I smile at Joseph.  “So now we have your life philosophy Joseph.  Eat, drink and be merry, etcetera.  Better than sex, drugs and rock-and-roll.  .  . . Maybe better.” 

Joseph offers Kati a few last puffs of his cigarette.  I slide my purse toward her and whisper, “Poor baby.  What you want is in the purse.  To open, the magic words are ‘open sesame’ or anything you wanna say.” (Smile).

“Well Joseph the passive investment thing I understand, but I’m an adrenaline junkie.  Need to be involved.” 

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Steffy, Käti, open

"Nothing wrong with participation...in the right context, of course..." Joseph was now turning the charm back on, noticing that what was left of his drink was nothing but melted ice. A shame, really. "But, I find that participation is for those who have knowledge. If you don't know what you're doing, participation can lead to failure." Joseph looked over to see that Steffy was using her own charm on Kati, finding that to be fascinating in its own way.

"I find that gambling is just a bit more fun when you know the odds are in your favor...I prefer guarantees, whether they be of success...or failure." Joseph began to look around, looking to see if there was any way of getting his drink refilled without having to go back into the bar.

Flower

Name:  Harry the Waiter
Wearing:  Uniform
Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Joseph

It was crowded in Mirage.

Unsurprisingly, people sought out the watering hole of Caravanserai after traveling through the desert on a rather temperamental beast. Everyone was pleasant enough though; simply glad to be inside underneath the air and gaining much needed respite from the heat. Either that, or they were sympathetic to the fact that he looked barely out of high school.

Harry did not mind being busy. Being preoccupied meant the hours flew by rather than dragged. It also meant there was less time for him to concentrate on anything other than filling orders. Plus, the change of pace was welcome after being bored in the training sessions leading up to the hotel’s grand opening. He often became anxious and fidgety after sitting around too long.

He was in the midst of heading back towards the bar when he walked by the patio and noticed empty glasses atop the trio’s table. Knowing Brandon would murder him if he simply ignored them, he pumped the brakes and stepped outside with a shy wave of his hand. Unlike Brandon, he lacked a certain confidence and charisma. Hence why he mostly took orders at tables rather than handle the bar.

“Heya...” Harry resisted the urge to stuff his hands in his pockets. “W-would you like another drink? Or maybe some water?”

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Harry The Waiter, Open

Joseph's wishes were soon granted, as the young man appeared. The kid was fidgety as hell. It reminded him of himself...an eon ago. "For me, a Coca-Cola with grenadine and a Woodford Old Fashioned. I'll let my friends here decide for themselves." His tone still exuded authority, but it was gentler. He hoped that being straightforward without too much command would help the guy settle down.

At that moment, he lit his fifth cigarette of the day and lounged back in his chair, looking out to see the magnificence surrounded by the desolate sand of the Sahara.

Steffy

Tagging: Harry the Waiter, KvR, Khalil, Joseph Edwards and anyone else wandering by

I look up and behold there is a server.  “You are a brilliant mind reader—yes, another drink please.  I’ll have what I had before, but I don’t know the name.  Kati?  Or maybe ask Brandon.  He’ll know.” 

The drink order taken, I turn my attention back to Joseph.  I giggle.  “So you call gambling when it’s a sure thing?  Not for me.  I don’t want to know how it’s turning until it turns, then improvise to a solution.” 

When and if Kati finally manages the purse and the ganja, I hope she offers it around.  Has she had so much to drink she can’t manage my purse?  “Oh sir!”  I address the waiter: “Water is a must.  Do they serve food in the patio?  Something chocolaty is going to taste good in a bit.” 

LocusVonErich

Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Harry The Waiter

"Actually, some hummus and pita as well, if you wouldn't mind, sir." Food didn't seem too bad an idea, but the heat called for something light, at least for the time being. Taking another puff of his cigarette, he would turn his attention back to Steffy, noticing how much Käti was appearing to struggle with her bag.

"I grew up with risks, having to live with the unknown. 'The electric company's cut off the power again', 'payday ain't for another three days and the only food in the house is bread that was stale a week ago'. Until I was 15, I had to face the unknown plenty, moreso than my siblings. I had to play parent to five other children because my mama was either at work, or the money she did earn went up her arm. 'I'll never touch the stuff again', 'GET THE NARCAN, SHE'S DYING'. Even when things are set in stone, you're still taking a gamble. Hell, the only reason I'm here is because I gambled on a sure thing. Whether it's fate, or God, or the Afghani man who saved your mother from dying broke...there's always a gamble involved somewhere. Even when things are seemingly decided...change is inevitable. The unknown is inevitable." Joseph had gotten a bit worked up there, revealing more about himself than he ever meant to do. A twinge of guilt for just unloading on his fellow hit him as he killed off yet another cigarette.

"Shit. I'm sorry...I shouldn't have lost my cool like that."

Jaclyn

Date | Time: June 6, 2020. after checking in
Tagging: Brandon, Breezy, Open

…take the proferred butt and take a careful drag ...  then carefully inhale, knowing what this will do to my brain …

  “Ooof! Thank you Joseph!”

… another pull and the butt is done ... no ashtray ... on the ground and kill it with the sole of my stiletto ... a waiter comes out to us …

  “Please, another of Brandon's brilliant cucumber things.”

… find a wall and lean back against it while my head spins from the nico ... try to follow what Steffy and Joseph are on about ... chocolate? …

  “Got any goat barbecue? I had some of that after my plane landed. It was all great flavor meat in some weird rollup.”