Fun Academic Articles and Findings

Started by Sain, December 19, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

This was pretty interesting for everyone RPeing with faceclaims ;D

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-10-neural-networks-result-photorealistic.html
When two competing neural networks result in photorealistic face

Potential for infinite face claims with desired features on demand coming soon?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

HannibalBarca

The article was an interesting, technical read.  However, at this time, the software is creating faces from a catalogue of celebrity faces, so they are amalgamations of numerous parts of real people's visages, not completely new faces.  I wonder when the software will be able to do what talented artists do, and create a new face.  Although--to be fair, artists, when creating a face from their 'imagination', are probably building from a prior knowledge of faces they have already seen, as well.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Sain

https://anu.prezly.com/redefining-knowledge-of-elderly-people-throughout-history#
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfgcivss6A4

This was quite interesting. Leaves a very odd feeling if life span has actually stayed pretty much the same. Definitely need to adjust my fantasy settings according to this...

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzpxXZJQNFg

Original article: https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.10433

Damn these deep mind solutions keep being amazing as well as does the pace at which they're adapted ;D!

RedRose

Quote from: Sain on January 08, 2018, 02:54:07 PM
https://anu.prezly.com/redefining-knowledge-of-elderly-people-throughout-history#
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfgcivss6A4

This was quite interesting. Leaves a very odd feeling if life span has actually stayed pretty much the same. Definitely need to adjust my fantasy settings according to this...

That's a topic I love. I never believed the 40 year thing. But 70? I don't know. That does sound high, especially in poor circles, but even richer ones. Maybe if you count only people who do reach adult age. Because yeah, many didn't make it to puberty.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Sain

Yeah, most likely dying early and in poor conditions was very common back then.

Here's another interesting read regarding aging from Nature.

Colossal family tree reveals environment's influence on lifespan

If nothing else I'd say that's great motivation to keep a healthy lifestyle, when very little of it can be blamed on genetics :-)

RedRose

Fascinating! I love genealogy, grew up on our family tree' stories.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Sain

I find this also absolutely fascinating. Imagination starts to race when you think about what sort of world it must have been with proper different races and such in stone age. It's like we once had a fantasy setting here on Earth. Maybe there were more than just neandrenthals and denisovans. Who knows how many there were?

Modern humans interbred with Denisovans twice in history

More at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-modern-humans-interbred-denisovans-history.html

Ket

Quote from: Sain on January 08, 2018, 02:54:07 PM

The reason they say that the average lifespan during X time period was Y number of years is that they are factoring in infant/child mortality. Those rates were tremendously higher in the past than they are in these days of modern medicine. So, if you've got half your population dying before age 2, and half your population dying around age 70, you're still going to have an average lifespan of 35 years.

If you change the population you're looking at, and average the lifespan of a population who made it past a certain age, then the number will change.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Oniya

Yale offers 'The Science of Wellbeing' for free.

'Psychology and cognitive science professor Laurie Santos teaches the course. In it, she covers the science behind positive psychology and behavioral change. Students are required to embark on a self-improvement project throughout the course.'

Thought this might be interesting and useful.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sain

New ant species from Borneo explodes to defend its colony

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-ant-species-borneo-defend-colony.html

Summary: Exploding ants. Banelings are real. BANELINGS ARE REAL?! Nature is mad and amazing.

Sain

Genetic adaptations to diving discovered in humans for the first time

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-genetic-humans.html

Couple thousand years and humans have evolved larger spleens to dive?! How nutty is that. Seems like straight out of fantasy. Gonna be more liberal with regional evolutions to my fantasy races too.

Sain

Optogenetic study shows that male flies find ejaculation pleasurable

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-optogenetic-male-flies-ejaculation-pleasurable.html

So flies and other very simple creatures actually enjoy sex, possibly even in a very similar manner as humans. Quite amazing stuff. Definitely a thing to consider when writing scifi. Perhaps feeling pleasure from reproduction is a must have for complex organisms to evolve ::)

Sain

Stephen Hawking's last paper was just published today.

I actually feel a bit sad for what he is proposing. Thinking that universe was infinite had certain romantic charm.

e. The video in that article is rreally really interesting. I recommend listening to it.

midnightblack

Cosmology is certainly the definitive field of thought-provoking and moving ideas. Fractal multiverses than span out into eternity, the false vacuum that decays, annihilating all existence and so forth. However, I've grown to regard most of this stuff as a kind of pseudo-physics, as it isn't really falsifiable. Sure, it's quite a commanding display of mathematics mixed with lofty implications regarding space and time, but somehow it always fails to deliver a prediction that can be objectively tested.

About a century ago, Einstein's own ideas seemed just as weird to the scientific community, but he always found a way to put them to a simple test. His work on general relativity ultimately came up with a pretty basic prediction: the trajectory of a light ray curves in the vicinity of massive objects. Long story short, one solar eclipse and a crazy astronomer later, and poof, the theory was tested and turned out to be true.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Heathcliff Moors

My fave is a scientific body down here in Australia that did a study on why people eat fast food. Ok.. the result is ground breaking - Because we like it. That is the actual the result. They could have given me half the amount of funding and I would have told them the same thing in less time.

RedRose

That, and it's cheap and convenient. French people are crazy about McDonald's.

Sain

There can be surprising side costs for making even a simple study like that in a manner that would satisfy the scientific community. It's also good to often go to the original article after seeing the press release versions. Sometimes the subject of the study may have been very different from what is later reported in the more public media :P

No super fun articles this week alas, or I may have missed some...

Sain

Researchers ask Americans 'What does God look like?'

"God's perceived face, based on the aggregated responses of surveyed American Christians. Credit: Joshua Jackson et al"
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-americans-god.html#jCp

This I thought really cool ;D Now that'd be a writing prompt if you had a plot with the researcher meeting said God. Would be really fun to see results of similar thing from a global set.

gaggedLouise

This has to be the most awesome "backup hard drive" technology ever. Current size: 360 TB - projected lifespan even in an environment a bit hotter than Earth: same as the age of the universe.  :D (in room temoerature, it would last much longer than that)

And what an amazing funky name! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_memory_crystal

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sain

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 15, 2018, 08:12:42 AM
This has to be the most awesome "backup hard drive" technology ever. Current size: 360 TB - projected lifespan even in an environment a bit hotter than Earth: same as the age of the universe.  :D (in room temoerature, it would last much longer than that)

And what an amazing funky name! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_memory_crystal

That's really cool. I wonder how the research has progressed on that since 2010.

RedRose

https://www.psypost.org/2018/07/study-finds-women-including-feminists-attracted-benevolently-sexist-men-51693
Very interesting. I am biased as I am generally attracted to very old school type but I definitely know girls who do NOT want someone to help them put on their coat or invite them, so I don't know.

https://www.psypost.org/2013/10/self-entitled-women-are-more-likely-to-endorse-benevolent-sexism-study-finds-20644

lol that made me laugh. I do see how it can feel entitled.

midnightblack

Maybe not exactly academic, but certainly one of the most unsettling uses of an oscilloscope that I've yet to see.  ::)

And it fits the NIИ soundtrack so disturbingly well. The stuff of bad dreams. shivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU&feature=youtu.be
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Oniya

Oh - Quake the FPS!  Here I was thinking someone captured an earthquake on an oscilloscope.  (I was wondering how the sine waves in the thumbnail could have gone that chaotic.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Read last month about someone who had launched the inventive project of collecting people's night dreams in the Third Reich - she interviewed friends and casual acquaintances and asked them to share some of their dreams or even write them down.  Eventually, after the war, she put out a book. The most intriguing example cited by the guy who was writing about that book (sorry, can't retrieve the article now) was about an ordinary Joe - not a Nazi sympathizer, but not an activist against them either, and not a Jew, gay man or any similar "target group" - who dreamt that one day at work, no less a bigwig than Goebbels showed up. Of course like everybody else, our man greeted him and gave a Nazi salute - BUT the weird twist: Goebbels offers no response, he silently refuses to acknowledge the greeting. Whenever his gaze reaches the man again, it's either a cold, blank stare or a vaguely menacing look, as if saying "there is something wrong with you and I've noticed; don't think you will get away with this!".  ::)

Sain

CopperLily

Quote from: Sain on May 12, 2018, 05:25:27 AM
There can be surprising side costs for making even a simple study like that in a manner that would satisfy the scientific community. It's also good to often go to the original article after seeing the press release versions. Sometimes the subject of the study may have been very different from what is later reported in the more public media :P

As a working scientist, all of these things.

- "I'm pretty sure I know this" is different from "We have an exact measure of this"
- Science is *expensive*
- Public reporting on science is...not good. And often only mildly related to what the paper says.

Sain

Sain

Yep. Even for Cyberpunk stories it's rare to see this wild applications of AI. Kind of inspiring ;D Really wanna write near-future scifi with modern AI (neural network based) technology sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBFMsY5ZP0o

Sain

Sain

Sain

O my god. You can download this algorithm here and try it yourself. Gonna need to play around with it tomorrow and see what's up. It looks AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQp28OqwNQ

e. If anyone more code-savvy wants to help me get it to work so I can play around please explain what the instructions actually mean ;D

Argyros

Old news, but good news for phylogenetics:

Lax, G., Eglit, Y., Eme, L., Bertrand, E. M., Roger, A. J. & Simpson, A. G. B. (2018). Hemimastigophora is a novel supra-kingdom-level lineage of eukaryotes. Nature 564, 410-414. doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0708-8

Meh, tardigrades are cuter.
< Status: Gone >

Sain

Ooh, that looks cool. Will need to take a read. Even old news is often new news since we all follow different fields ;D! So feel free to share more if you have!

Argyros

DNA Barcoding is a type of scientific technology predominantly utilized in phylogenetics and taxonomy, yet is expanding into other fields of science such as ecology, agriculture, horticulture, forestry and – as it states in this article – aquaculture. In particular, legislation pertaining to the fishing and seafood industries can be vastly improved by the implementation of DNA barcoding to identify vulnerable and endangered species to keep them in the ocean and off the market.

Wainwright, B. J., Ip, Y. C. A., Neo, M. L., Chang, J. J. M, Gan, C. Z., Clark-Shen, N., Huang, D. & Rao, M. (2018). DNA barcoding of traded shark fins, meat and mobulid gill plates in Singapore uncovers numerous threatened species. Conservation Genetics, 19(6), 1393–1399. doi.org/10.1007/s10592-018-1108-1

Now, DNA extraction for species identification in raw products is nothing new and has been done several times before. However, DNA barcoding is substantially faster and more accessible (not as accurate, since it's only the mtDNA, but pretty reliable nonetheless), so it's exciting to surmise that this type of novel technology can be utilized more frequently for stricter regulation of commercial imports and exports.

Argyros

In 2018, Kew scientists, researchers and partners discovered 172 new botanical species (128 tracheophytes*, 44 fungi) from deserts, rainforests, woodlands and mountains around the world. You can check out the featured species in this article.

Figure 1. The newly discovered Talbotiella cheekii in Guinea. T. cheekii is a member of the Fabaceae (Leguminosae) and grows to over 24 metres (~79 ft) in height and 83 cm (~33 in) in diameter. © Kew, 2018.

* – Vascular plants.

Sain

That tree looks so cool. Like some fantasy species ;D

Sain

This might be interesting to some since fusion power is often glossed over in the media with quite nonsensical explanations and the usual (20 years from now since 1990) hand wave. The article discusses some of the current hurdles in creation of a stable fusion power plant, and highlights a recent breakthrough in understanding of the plasma behaviour in the doughnut shaped plasma inside fusion reactors.

Scientists discover a process that stabilizes fusion plasmas - link to the media article (which has link to the original, but after a quick glimpse I do not recommend reading if you're not a physicist.)

Argyros

Researchers from Swansea University in Wales have identified a previously unknown strain of soil borne bacteria that is effective against four out of six antibiotic-resistant superbugs, including MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus).

Bacteria found in ancient Irish soil halts growth of superbugs: New hope for tackling antibiotic resistance

Growth of the previously unknown actinobacteria strain, Streptomyces sp. myrophorea (isolate McG1 species of Streptomyces). S. sp. myrophorea originates from an ethnopharmacology folk medicine used by neolithic peoples and druids in the townland of Toneel North in Boho, County Fermanagh. This bacteria is aptly named because it produces a distinctive fragrance similar to wintergreen oil (Greek: myro (fragrance) + phorea (porter, carrier)). Despite superficially resembling fungi, Streptomyces are true bacteria and account for two-thirds of the most common antibiotics used in modern medicine. S. sp. myrophorea is inhibitory to many species of ESKAPE pathogens, can grow in high alkalinity (pH 10.5) and can tolerate relatively high levels of radioactivity. © G. Quinn, Swansea University.

For the microbiologists and other enthusiasts on E, here is the resource material:

Terra, L., Dyson, P. J., Hitchings, M. D., Thomas, L., Abdelhameed, A., Banat, I. M., Gazze, S. A., Vujaklija, D., Facey, P. D., Francis, L. W. & Quinn, G. A. (2018). A novel alkaliphilic streptomyces inhibits ESKAPE pathogens. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9: 2458. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02458

Sain

Quote from: Argyros Drakontos on January 10, 2019, 12:27:12 PM
Researchers from Swansea University in Wales have identified a previously unknown strain of soil borne bacteria that is effective against four out of six antibiotic-resistant superbugs, including MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus).

Bacteria found in ancient Irish soil halts growth of superbugs: New hope for tackling antibiotic resistance

Growth of the previously unknown actinobacteria strain, Streptomyces sp. myrophorea (isolate McG1 species of Streptomyces). S. sp. myrophorea originates from an ethnopharmacology folk medicine used by neolithic peoples and druids in the townland of Toneel North in Boho, County Fermanagh. This bacteria is aptly named because it produces a distinctive fragrance similar to wintergreen oil (Greek: myro (fragrance) + phorea (porter, carrier)). Despite superficially resembling fungi, Streptomyces are true bacteria and account for two-thirds of the most common antibiotics used in modern medicine. S. sp. myrophorea is inhibitory to many species of ESKAPE pathogens, can grow in high alkalinity (pH 10.5) and can tolerate relatively high levels of radioactivity. © G. Quinn, Swansea University.

For the microbiologists and other enthusiasts on E, here is the resource material:

Terra, L., Dyson, P. J., Hitchings, M. D., Thomas, L., Abdelhameed, A., Banat, I. M., Gazze, S. A., Vujaklija, D., Facey, P. D., Francis, L. W. & Quinn, G. A. (2018). A novel alkaliphilic streptomyces inhibits ESKAPE pathogens. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9: 2458. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02458

Awesome! I hope they'll start human testing soon.

I've also casually been following the experiments to find microbes in soil with much excitement. They're super promising, and makes perfect sense to try look for more antibiotics there given how it's been the battleground for back-and-forth between different microbes for so long. All these new findings of soil microbes combined with the promising phage therapy really make the doomsday scenarios of oncoming super bugs seem much less likely.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on January 10, 2019, 12:30:46 PM
Awesome! I hope they'll start human testing soon.

I've also casually been following the experiments to find microbes in soil with much excitement. They're super promising, and makes perfect sense to try look for more antibiotics there given how it's been the battleground for back-and-forth between different microbes for so long. All these new findings of soil microbes combined with the promising phage therapy really make the doomsday scenarios of oncoming super bugs seem much less likely.

Indeed, it is a novel discovery for the field of microbiology. I am interested to see how Streptomyces sp. myrophorea, McG1 will affect the epidemiology of specific types of diseases, especially those in HAI (Hospital Associated Infections). I think this discovery, coupled with the judicious prescription of antibiotics by general practitioners (and farmers), can help combat the insurgence of antibiotic resistant "super-bugs".

Argyros

BenchSci is a free antibody (Ab/Ig) search engine for academic researchers and scientists with publication data to help decode comprehensive open- and closed-access datasets, display published figures with no commercial bias and permit a search on experimental variables.

Neat.

Sain

This is pretty neat, thanks ;D Might actually find use for this tool.

Argyros

If you're a paleontologist, ichthyologist or general enthusiast, you might find this article interesting, about how the teeth of the newly discovered Galagadon nordquistae were found in the rock that once surrounded the famous Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton, Sue.

Oniya

The question now is: Was Sue gnawed on by the shark, or vice versa?

Sain

Sain

A really cool new method for 3D printing. Kind of genius how they can do it with just light projector and rotating sample holder. Really looking forward to this getting optimized to higher resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UsRDS-wqI

Argyros

Thanks for sharing, Sain! I love 3D printing; I have a friend who has the conventional machine, so seeing it in action is any form is very interesting  ;D

Sain

We really are witnessing history with how the AI has improved in last few years. It's absolutely bonkers how fast things are going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMXvkbAtHNY

Argyros

Fashion Alert! Researchers have fabricated a textile that dynamically regulates heat passing through the its weave, automatically cooling or insulating the user depending on exogenous stimuli. [Article]

Fig. 1. New fabric created by University of Maryland scientists YuHuang Wang and Ouyang Min is the first textile to automatically change properties to trap or release heat depending on external conditions. © Faye Levine, University of Maryland.

Sain

Quote from: Argyros Drakontos on February 07, 2019, 06:38:31 PM
Fashion Alert! Researchers have fabricated a textile that dynamically regulates heat passing through the its weave, automatically cooling or insulating the user depending on exogenous stimuli. [Article]

Fig. 1. New fabric created by University of Maryland scientists YuHuang Wang and Ouyang Min is the first textile to automatically change properties to trap or release heat depending on external conditions. © Faye Levine, University of Maryland.

Oh what the heck  :o One shirt for every weather? I've been wanting something like that forever.

Argyros

Neuroengineers from Columbia University have created a methodology that translates thoughts into logical, decipherable speech. A scientific first, this novel concept utilizes a combination of artificial intelligence (AI) and speech synthesizers to allow for new ways for computers to communication directly with the human brain and vice versa. [Article]

Fig. 1. Schematic of the speech reconstruction method. (Akbari et al., 2019).

REF: Akbari, H., Khalighinejad, B., Herrero, J. L., Mehta, A. D. & Mesgarani, N. (2019). Towards reconstructing intelligible speech from the human auditory cortex. Scientific Reports 9(1). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-37359-z

Sain

Noticed the headline on that as well (though did not read further into it). Does sound pretty amazing. Potentially game breaking for helping some disabled people?!

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on February 10, 2019, 02:21:02 PM
Noticed the headline on that as well (though did not read further into it). Does sound pretty amazing. Potentially game breaking for helping some disabled people?!

Agreed! We all want to be understood one way or another  :-)

Argyros

Bug Out! Researchers from Aarhus University, Denmark, have discovered that insects leave tiny DNA traces on the flowers they visit. This newly developed eDNA (Ecological DNA) method holds a vast potential for documenting unknown insect-plant interactions, keeping track of endangered pollinators, such as wild bees and butterflies, as well as in the management of unwanted pest species. [Article].

REF: Thomsen,P. F., & Sigsgaard, E. E (2019). Environmental DNA metabarcoding of wild flowers reveals diverse communities of terrestrial arthropods. Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.4809

Sain

Those new techniques to sequence tiny amounts of DNA are really opening nifty new windows to so many things.

gaggedLouise

Researchers have suggested before thet there are signs of a sheet of liquid water on the underside of the southern polar ice cap of Mars. Now, a new study in a geophysics journal makes the conclusion that if there is liquid water down there, it could imply buried volcanism deep inside the Martian crust, or otherwise there would not be the kind of heat needed to melt the ice from below.

The presence of any sheet of water hasn't been proved yet, for sure, though we do know that water does exist on Mars and likely sometimes in liquid form - but the idea of volcanism and tectonic activity on the red planet is fascinating. It would have to have been very recently in geologicial time - withjin the last few hundred thousand years - which would point to it being an ongoing feature of Mars over time. Also, volcanic vents plus liquid water increases the chances of primitive life forms.

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/New_study_suggests_possibility_of_recent_underground_volcanism_on_Mars_999.html

Argyros

This video provides an interesting perspective on the dilemma facing conservationists in Silicon Valley, California. What defines nature? What would you do?

https://youtu.be/_1Qj4Bm47hA

Sain

That is interesting. It is really hard to say indeed, especially now that we're causing big moves in the ecosystems and moving species with climate change.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on February 21, 2019, 03:40:10 PM
That is interesting. It is really hard to say indeed, especially now that we're causing big moves in the ecosystems and moving species with climate change.

You bring up a valid point. We are indeed on the cusp of the Anthropocene, or the Age of Man. For those who are interested, I highly recommend watching Anthropocene: The Human Epoch (2018) to learn more about this paradigm shift in our climate and how we as humans are both responsible for its inauguration and its explication.

Argyros

Researchers have discovered that the introduction of predatory organisms into the environment can cause single-celled organisms such as algae to evolve into multicellular organisms over the span of fifty (50) weeks, which is the equivalent of 750 generations. You can watch time lapse videos of the phenomenon in the supplementary information near the end of the publication. [Article]

Figure 1. Depiction of C. reinhardtii life cycles following evolution with (B2, B5) or without (K1) predators for 50 weeks. Categories (A–D) show a variety of life cycle characteristics, from unicellular to various multicellular forms. Briefly, A shows the ancestral, wild-type life cycle; in B this is modified with cells embedded in an extracellular matrix; C is similar to B but forms much larger multicellular structures; while D shows a fully multicellular life cycle in which multicellular clusters release multicellular propagules. Evolved strains were qualitatively categorized based on growth during 72-hour time-lapse videos. Strains within each life cycle category are listed below illustrations. Representative microscopic images of each life cycle category are at the bottom.

Herron, M. D., Borin, J. M., Boswell, J. C., Walker, J., Chen, I-C., K., Knox, C. A., Boyd, M. Rosenzweig, F. & Ratcliff, W. C. (2019). De novo origins of multicellularity in response to predation. Scientific Reports 9: 2328. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-39558-8

Argyros

Researchers from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) have discovered that spider silk – one of the strongest materials for its weight – produces a strong twisting motion when exposed to humidity, which could prove useful for future artificial muscles or actuators. [Article]

Figure 1. An experimental setup used to study the behaviour of spider dragline silk. The cylindrical chamber at center allows for precise control of humidity while testing the contraction and twisting of the fiber. © MIT

Sain

Spidersilk really is amazing. Now we just need some way to make tons of it.

Argyros

According to a new publication by researchers at UCL, doctors have observed the second contingency of a patient ("London Patient") demonstrating sustained remission from HIV-1 after ceasing treatment. The case study was published approximately ten years after the first case, known as the "Berlin Patient". [Article]

Figure 1. Scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image revealing the presence of numerous human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) virions budding from a cultured lymphocyte. © Goldsmith, P. Feorino, E. L. Palmer, W. & R. McManus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp0s64b5r5U

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on March 07, 2019, 06:14:36 PM
According to a new publication by researchers at UCL, doctors have observed the second contingency of a patient ("London Patient") demonstrating sustained remission from HIV-1 after ceasing treatment. The case study was published approximately ten years after the first case, known as the "Berlin Patient". [Article]

Figure 1. Scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image revealing the presence of numerous human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) virions budding from a cultured lymphocyte. © Goldsmith, P. Feorino, E. L. Palmer, W. & R. McManus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp0s64b5r5U

This is quite amazing. It's humbling to see how decades of reasearch slowly working towards the cure finally begin to pay off. A bit worried though that the virus couls mutate to use some other receptor, but maybe with good clinical practice it can be delayed. Still, really uplifting ;D

Argyros

In Yellowstone National Park, researchers from Washington State University have discovered thermophilic bacteria that "eat and breathe" electricity through solid carbon surfaces of electrodes, which could be utilized for low-power applications to help alleviate one of the biggest challenge facing humanity; environmental pollution and sustainable energy. [Article]

Figure 1. Pools of hot water like this one are home to thermophilic bacteria that can "eat and breathe" electricity via filamentous cilia that affix endogenous electrons to outside metals or minerals. © WSU, 2019.

The aforementioned article is reminiscent of other studies demonstrating the promising potential of utilizing microorganisms in achieving global sustainability, including bioremediation of contaminated land:

Articles

• ENN. (2018). A biological solution to carbon capture and recycling? Retrieved March 11, 2019 from [Article]

• Flashman, E. (2018). How plastic-eating bacteria actually work: A chemist explains. Retrieved March 11, 2019 from [Article]

• Mohamed, A., Ha, P. T, Peyton, B. M., Mueller, R., Meagher, M. & Beyenal, H. (2019). In situ enrichment of microbial communities on polarized electrodes deployed in alkaline hot springs. Journal of Power Sources, 414: 547. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2019.01.027

• Rhodes, C.J. (2014). Mycoremediation (bioremediation with fungi): Growing mushrooms to clean the earth. Chemical Speciation & Bioavailability, 26(3), 196–198, DOI: 10.3184/095422914X14047407349335

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgLJrk0sGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5frPV58tY

3jackdaws

A lecture on bioelectric computation found in animals and what we might be able to learn from these naturally occurring computational architectures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjD1aLm4Thg
Moloch whose hand has occupied so much fear! Moloch whose fingers are heavyweight iron! Moloch whose fists contain all that was wretchedly insane! Moloch whose daughter is a niece of the rat! Moloch whose life is a song against the burning of village houses! Moloch whose life we all die for! Moloch, fruit of all nightmares!

Sain

So much cool stuff today ;D Thank you guys!

Al Terego

And now to something completely different.

Research suggests that, contrary to popular opinion, fans of violent music are not desensitized to violence.

The BBC report.
The research paper.

Argyros

Neuroscientists from the University of California in Berkeley may have developed an alternative to regaining vision from retinal degeneration. Instead of electronic eye implants, patients can undergo gene therapy where intraocular AAV delivery of spliced green opsin can give them enough eyesight to discern patterns at a resolution sufficient for myopic reading. With exisiting AAV therapies already approved, this new therapy could be ready for clinical trials in as little as three years. [Article].

Image Warning: Contains Needles

Figure 1. Adeno-associated viruses (AAV) engineered to target specific cells in the retina can be injected directly into the vitreous of the eye to deliver genes more precisely than can be done with wild type AAVs, which have to be injected directly under the retina. UC Berkeley neuroscientists have taken AAVs targeted to ganglion cells, loaded them with a gene for green opsin, and made the normally blind ganglion cells sensitive to light. © John Flannery, UC Berkeley.

Oniya

Argyros

A team of researchers from Stanford University has developed a novel method to harness our planet's most abundant natural resource for chemical energy. Published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the findings demonstrate a new way of separating hydrogen and oxygen gas from seawater via electricity. Existing scientific methods rely on highly purified water, which is a rare, precious resource (< 1% Tw) and costly to produce. [Article]

Figure 1. A prototype device that utilizes solar radiation to create hydrogen fuel from seawater. © Hongjie Dai, Yun Kuang & Michael Kenney.

Al Terego

I remember playing around with salt water electrolysis as a kid, the salt acting as an electrolyte -- a bowl of water, table salt, two large nails and a handful of 9V batteries.  The nails would corrode like crazy, which apparently was the problem that the researches set out to solve.

Argyros

An approved drug typically administered for treating fungal infections also has the potential to effectively treat people with cystic fibrosis, new research suggests. The drug, amphotericin B, can function as a molecular prosthesis for a dysfunctional protein channel called CFTR, which is a key agent in fighting infections. Researchers have compared the new drug with another pharmaceutical called ivacaftor, which is also known to improve the function of CFTR proteins with specific mutations. Lab tests with human grown lung cells have proven that both drugs can improve pH levels, increase bicarbonate secretion and decrease viscosity of fluid accumulation in the lungs. However, only amphotericin B was able to restore function in patients since it bypasses the mutated CFTR protein.[1]. [Article]

Figure 1. People with cystic fibrosis have a genetic defect called G551D that causes the exclusion of the CFTR protein within the lining of the lungs that releases bicarbonate (HCO3-), a key compound in fighting infections. The drug amphotericin B can form channels to release bicarbonate in lung tissue, restoring the airway surface liquid's antibiotic properties.

Sain

That is nice, moreso since it's an approved drug so they don't have to go through as rigorous testing to get it to the patients! Good to see these kinds of studies that give secondary uses for known compounds. I guess they might not be very exciting to carry out in the lab, but we for sure need more of them :P

Sain

This is not exactly a finding, but more of a hype. Next week on April 10th the first ever pictures captured of a black hole will be released! Exciting stuff. My horror and scifi muse is already tingling.

Lilias

A fascinating TED talk about public space and civic life. Focused on America, but the insights are for everyone.

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_dissects_suburbia
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Argyros

A new research study shows that exposure to nonthermal plasmas can effectively destroy 99.9% of airborne viruses. This process could be used as an alternative to the antiquated surgical mask, which would be particularly useful in the agriculture industry where the risk of zoonotic disease is present. [Article]

Figure 1. Herek Clack, Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor at the University of Michigan and his team set up a lab study at Barton Farms in Homer, Michigan. The scaled, non-thermal plasma device has previously been proven to achieve high inactivation rates (>99%) of MS2 phage viral surrogates, a virus that infects Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria. © Robert Coelius, Michigan Engineering.

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 09, 2019, 10:25:21 AM
A new research study shows that exposure to nonthermal plasmas can effectively destroy 99.9% of airborne viruses. This process could be used as an alternative to the antiquated surgical mask, which would be particularly useful in the agriculture industry where the risk of zoonotic disease is present. [Article]

Figure 1. Herek Clack, Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor at the University of Michigan and his team set up a lab study at Barton Farms in Homer, Michigan. The scaled, non-thermal plasma device has previously been proven to achieve high inactivation rates (>99%) of MS2 phage viral surrogates, a virus that infects Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria. © Robert Coelius, Michigan Engineering.

That's kinda cool. I wonder if they could tweak it to kill bacteria as well and develop new type of general purpose air sterilizers? Could be an efficient alternative to the current membrane based filter systems.

Also here's that promised image of black hole. Gaze into its abyss. Here's an article about it, though I think in this case it's more interesting to just stare.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on April 10, 2019, 09:15:54 AM
That's kinda cool. I wonder if they could tweak it to kill bacteria as well and develop new type of general purpose air sterilizers? Could be an efficient alternative to the current membrane based filter systems.

Also here's that promised image of black hole. Gaze into its abyss. Here's an article about it, though I think in this case it's more interesting to just stare.

Very cool, Sain! Thank you for sharing.

And for those who are curious as to why the image is so
blurry
, it's actually one of the highest resolution images ever taken. The EHT (Event Horizon Telescope) collected approximately 1000 disks and 5 petabytes of data, which is equivalent to "all of the selfies that 40,000 people will take in their lifetime." Plus, the black hole is 55 million light years away. [Article]

Argyros

Scientists have developed a new type of gene editing CRISPR system, called CRISPR-Cas3, which can efficiently erase long stretches of DNA from a targeted site in the human genome, with the potential to seek out and erase such ectopic viruses as Herpes Simplex, Epstein-Barr, and Hepatitis B. [Article]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 14, 2019, 05:13:47 PM
Scientists have developed a new type of gene editing CRISPR system, called CRISPR-Cas3, which can efficiently erase long stretches of DNA from a targeted site in the human genome, with the potential to seek out and erase such ectopic viruses as Herpes Simplex, Epstein-Barr, and Hepatitis B. [Article]

Ooooh, need to read this one later. It's really cool to see the new CRISPR version coming up and the toolkit expanding.

Argyros

In a major medical breakthrough, researchers have "printed" the world's first
3D vascularised engineered heart
using a patient's own cells and biological materials. [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 17, 2019, 06:22:27 PM
In a major medical breakthrough, researchers have "printed" the world's first
3D vascularised engineered heart
using a patient's own cells and biological materials. [Article] [Publication]

Thank you for sharing Argyros! Seems to be still ten years away from usable according to the scientists, but nonetheless impressive. Remember chatting with someone who was trying to make kidneys and getting the cells into proper organ shape and having them stay in it is for sure one of the biggest challenges for any organ 3D printing. Now getting them to work properly after it is another hurdle, but I would assume maybe that's something they can do with hormone or chemical treaments now that the cells are where they should be. Definitely interesting to follow the process of this field. And relaxing since you only have to check news every year or so to keep up with them ;D

Argyros

The human memory contains a special protein known as Arc that behaves like a virus, neuroscientists say. Now, the article is erroneously titled as our memory doesn't come from a virus, rather that it acts like one. Just something to remember (/pun). [Article]

https://youtu.be/QEL7aLPIS-0

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 21, 2019, 04:03:16 PM
The human memory contains a special protein known as Arc that behaves like a virus, neuroscientists say. Now, the article is erroneously titled as our memory doesn't come from a virus, rather that it acts like one. Just something to remember (/pun). [Article]

https://youtu.be/QEL7aLPIS-0

Damn that was a fun read ;D Cool in so many ways. Just them suggesting that viruses played a bigger role in evolutionary process than we imagined is something crazy. This is such inspiring fuel for scifi stories. I can see plots about some species seeding certain key-evolutionary viruses on a planet with simpler life forms to uplift them into something more sentient. And even cyberpunky stuff where we don't do gene-engineering but viral engineer something new into people. This screams "write me!" Heh.

There's new evidence showing that parents getting a child less than three years prior to marriage (which here is used as a marker of when they start to have sex I suppose) may increase the risk of their first born getting schizophrenia. [article] [research paper] This was so wacky and weird, but the paper looks pretty legit as well. The reason they provided was that it'd take some time for the mother's immune system to get used to the father's sperm. It sorta makes sense in the common sense kinda way too, and it's fun to think about whether or not the amount of sex parents have might also affect that immune response (given the mother's increased contact with the sticky stuff).

Argyros

Researchers studying wild tomato plants in Peru have found that understanding the plants’ evolutionary defense mechanisms could reveal the key to reducing pesticide use worldwide. [Article] [Publication]

I have actually done research on genetically modified organisms (GMOs) previously, including gene splicing recombinant pre-mRNA, gene modification, transgenesis and cisgenesis. The last methodology is the locus of the research study, where scientists are studying how the genotype for glandular trichome–synthesized acylated sugars (“acylsugars”) can be assimilated into Solanum lycopersicum cvs. to help reduce pesticide use in not just tomatoes, but other agricultural crops as well.

The use of genetic engineering in botanical specimens is a delicate, finite process and presents unique challenges in agriculture. Ethical reasons, certainly. But moreover, toxicity. Improper cisgenesis may inadvertently increase or reactivate latent metabolic pathways in cultivated specimens whose wild antecedents procured chemical toxins or alkaloids, which can result in enzymatic activation or inhibition of these compounds. Examples include protease inhibitors (legumes), cyanogens (cassava and lima beans), goitrogens (canola), pressor amines (bananas) and solanine (nightshades). The predominant concern of failed cisgenesis in genetically engineered foods is the negative effect on humans if these toxic compounds are ingested in high volumes. For example, α-solanine in potatoes inhibits the neurotransmitter enzyme acetylcholinesterase, which can impair nervous system functionality to a similar degree as organophosphates or carbamates.

It’s food for thought (/pun).

Oniya

Quote from: Sain on April 25, 2019, 02:30:58 AM
There's new evidence showing that parents getting a child less than three years prior to marriage (which here is used as a marker of when they start to have sex I suppose) may increase the risk of their first born getting schizophrenia. [article] [research paper] This was so wacky and weird, but the paper looks pretty legit as well. The reason they provided was that it'd take some time for the mother's immune system to get used to the father's sperm. It sorta makes sense in the common sense kinda way too, and it's fun to think about whether or not the amount of sex parents have might also affect that immune response (given the mother's increased contact with the sticky stuff).

So, the takeaway here is to have a lot of sex before trying to conceive?  (And I hope they meant three years after marriage.)

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 25, 2019, 11:26:40 AM
Researchers studying wild tomato plants in Peru have found that understanding the plants’ evolutionary defense mechanisms could reveal the key to reducing pesticide use worldwide. [Article] [Publication]

I have actually done research on genetically modified organisms (GMOs) previously, including gene splicing recombinant pre-mRNA, gene modification, transgenesis and cisgenesis. The last methodology is the locus of the research study, where scientists are studying how the genotype for glandular trichome–synthesized acylated sugars (“acylsugars”) can be assimilated into Solanum lycopersicum cvs. to help reduce pesticide use in not just tomatoes, but other agricultural crops as well.

The use of genetic engineering in botanical specimens is a delicate, finite process and presents unique challenges in agriculture. Ethical reasons, certainly. But moreover, toxicity. Improper cisgenesis may inadvertently increase or reactivate latent metabolic pathways in cultivated specimens whose wild antecedents procured chemical toxins or alkaloids, which can result in enzymatic activation or inhibition of these compounds. Examples include protease inhibitors (legumes), cyanogens (cassava and lima beans), goitrogens (canola), pressor amines (bananas) and solanine (nightshades). The predominant concern of failed cisgenesis in genetically engineered foods is the negative effect on humans if these toxic compounds are ingested in high volumes. For example, α-solanine in potatoes inhibits the neurotransmitter enzyme acetylcholinesterase, which can impair nervous system functionality to a similar degree as organophosphates or carbamates.

It’s food for thought (/pun).

Oh, that's really interesting to hear from someone who's worked with plants. I've found gene-engineering plants a super cool topic forever, though never got beyond the surface of the "damn this is cool" ;D. It's interesting to hear about all the little details regarding them. Some neat things that I'll definitely pepper in my scifi stories later on.

Quote from: Oniya on April 25, 2019, 11:37:50 AM
So, the takeaway here is to have a lot of sex before trying to conceive?  (And I hope they meant three years after marriage.)

Yes. Fuck lots and without condom before trying to make a baby.

Argyros

Al Terego

Quote from: Argyros on April 25, 2019, 11:26:40 AM
Researchers studying wild tomato plants in Peru have found that understanding the plants’ evolutionary defense mechanisms [...]

Sain

Oh, a friend shared this to me last week, I forgot to share it here. It's not really an academic finding per-se, but I did stumble upon it during a seminar lecture while not listening to it so heh, sorta found it in academic context at least! Anyway, the map shows CO2 emissions and electricity productions of each country that tracks their data. Really cool way to get some context to different methods of energy production since many people seem to be kinda fuzzy on those and perhaps sometimes put a little too much trust on wind/solar as the solutions of the coming century.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=FI

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on April 27, 2019, 04:41:36 PM
Oh, a friend shared this to me last week, I forgot to share it here. It's not really an academic finding per-se, but I did stumble upon it during a seminar lecture while not listening to it so heh, sorta found it in academic context at least! Anyway, the map shows CO2 emissions and electricity productions of each country that tracks their data. Really cool way to get some context to different methods of energy production since many people seem to be kinda fuzzy on those and perhaps sometimes put a little too much trust on wind/solar as the solutions of the coming century.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=FI

Thank you very much for sharing, Sain! I really enjoyed exploring the features of this map, and visualizing how each type of energy production correlated to CO2 emissions in each country.

On a similar TAN, I would like to share an online resource tool that was used as a reference in my hydrology courses. Aqueduct is an interactive map database for water risk analysis based on a conjunction of industrial, hydrological and climatological variables. Examples of variables include baseline water stress, groundwater stress, drought severity, upstream storage and flood occurrence. Aqueduct is so comprehensive that it can actually determine water risk analysis for threatened species of amphibians in freshwater ecosystems. How cool is that?!

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on April 27, 2019, 06:21:12 PM
Thank you very much for sharing, Sain! I really enjoyed exploring the features of this map, and visualizing how each type of energy production correlated to CO2 emissions in each country.

On a similar TAN, I would like to share an online resource tool that was used as a reference in my hydrology courses. Aqueduct is an interactive map database for water risk analysis based on a conjunction of industrial, hydrological and climatological variables. Examples of variables include baseline water stress, groundwater stress, drought severity, upstream storage and flood occurrence. Aqueduct is so comprehensive that it can actually determine water risk analysis for threatened species of amphibians in freshwater ecosystems. How cool is that?!

That's pretty cool. Neat that it has options for different industries as well ;D

Argyros

In anthropology news, scientists have allegedly discovered the oldest footprint to ever be found in the Americas, dating back approximately 15,600 years. [Article] [Publication]

Argyros

Wolves are more inclined to help each other than domesticated dogs, according to an experiment done by behavioural researchers at the Wolf Science Center in Vienna, Austria. [Article] [Publication]

Figure 1. The researchers trained nine wolves and six dogs to interact with a “giving” symbol on this touchscreen, which would then dispense a treat to their partner in an adjacent room. © Rachel Dale, Wolf Science Center, 2019.

Argyros

Researchers from the University of Sydney have discovered an antidote¹ for the venom of the Australian Box Jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri), considered by many to be the most lethal species of jellyfish in the world. [Article] [Publication]

Figure 1. The Australian Box Jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri), or "Sea Wasp". © Jamie Seymour

¹ – While the antidote has been scientifically proven to block pain, scarring and necrosis of the epidermis, it is unclear as to whether it can prevent more serious symptoms of envenomation, such as hyperkalemia or cardiac arrest.

Argyros

Researchers from Washington State University have developed a viable, ecological alternative to Styrofoam. The foam is predominantly constructed from nanocrystal cellulose, which is not only an excellent insulator but is also very lightweight and can support up to 200 times its own weight without altering its original shape. The manufacturing process is also simple and environmentally friendly, using water as a solvent instead of chemicals. [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on May 14, 2019, 06:31:33 PM
Researchers from Washington State University have developed a viable, ecological alternative to Styrofoam. The foam is predominantly constructed from nanocrystal cellulose, which is not only an excellent insulator but is also very lightweight and can support up to 200 times its own weight without altering its original shape. The manufacturing process is also simple and environmentally friendly, using water as a solvent instead of chemicals. [Article] [Publication]

That is quite cool. Nano cellulose is a big hype thing over here too given Finland's dependence on forestry. Always exciting to see people come up with new natural materials.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on May 15, 2019, 03:38:55 AM
That is quite cool. Nano cellulose is a big hype thing over here too given Finland's dependence on forestry. Always exciting to see people come up with new natural materials.

I am excited to see what they come up with next!

Al Terego

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfb6aEUMC04

Looks like open AI has finally almost completely eclipsed human level skill in Dota2.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on May 18, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Looks like open AI has finally almost completely eclipsed human level skill in Dota2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMRDm_H9Sg

Reminiscent of the AlphaStar (AI) Bot from Deep Mind. Damn computers, you scary! [Article]

Sain

They are crazy. Can't wait to see what we have next year!

Al Terego

Argyros

A new research study has discovered that computers can be just as good, if not better, than doctors at detecting lung cancer based on CT imaging scans. The AI was 94% accurate in screening for lung cancer on 6,716 CT scans, and exhibited fewer false positives and false negatives compared to a team of professional radiologists. While the technology is a work in progress and not ready for public use, it does offer a glimpse into the future of artificial intelligence in medicine. [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on May 20, 2019, 07:48:53 PM
A new research study has discovered that computers can be just as good, if not better, than doctors at detecting lung cancer based on CT imaging scans. The AI was 94% accurate in screening for lung cancer on 6,716 CT scans, and exhibited fewer false positives and false negatives compared to a team of professional radiologists. While the technology is a work in progress and not ready for public use, it does offer a glimpse into the future of artificial intelligence in medicine. [Article] [Publication]

These are awesome. I'm involved in some diagnostics development myself and it's been awesome to watch what AI can do with images. We have skin cancer, and now radiological data analysed by them? Can't wait to see them integrated into typical lab testing with ELISA and immunoblotting as well. I have no doubt they'll far surpass doctors in near future given that we have massive databanks to train them with. Now if only we had decent lobbyists advocating for the assisted diagnostics to get approved or endorsed by CDC, EDC, and other organizations  ::) Buuuut my guess is the doctors lobbying to keep absolute control and authority have richer lobbyists and some folk are gonna have to fight hard to deliver this stuff to us patients. Same thing with rapid diagnostics and self testing in general.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on May 21, 2019, 04:22:34 AM
Now if only we had decent lobbyists advocating for the assisted diagnostics to get approved or endorsed by CDC, EDC, and other organizations  ::)

<insert lobbyist satire here>

Argyros

Chemical engineers at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario have discovered how to preserve vaccines without refrigeration. The live virus vaccine (LVV) was desiccated with a sugar solution, which could then be stored at 40ºC (104ºF) for months without negative effects on its efficacy. This scientific discovery is particularly impressive as current vaccines are extremely fragile, requiring a specific temperature range (2–8ºC) to retain its effectiveness, which only lasts for a few days. [Article] [Publication]

Argyros

Scientists from the University of Toronto have developed a new electrochemical pathway to transform atmospheric CO2 into commercial products such as fuel and plastics. This emergent direct-air carbon capture technology achieves a no-waste manufacturing process, with a 100% carbon utilization rate. [Article] [Publication]

Argyros

Calling all armour fans! Researchers from North Carolina State University (NCSU) have created a composite metal foam (CMF) that stops .50 caliber ball and armor-piercing (AP) rounds as effectively as steel armour, at less than half the weight. In addition, the CMF is fire- and heat-resistant and very effective at shielding various types of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons. This could be technology straight out of a science fiction novel! [Article] [Publication]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on June 06, 2019, 10:39:12 PM
Calling all armour fans! Researchers from North Carolina State University (NCSU) have created a composite metal foam (CMF) that stops .50 caliber ball and armor-piercing (AP) rounds as effectively as steel armour, at less than half the weight. In addition, the CMF is fire- and heat-resistant and very effective at shielding various types of radiation, including X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons. This could be technology straight out of a science fiction novel! [Article] [Publication]

Very cool. Need to take a looksie and steal their terminology for more believable scifi. Sounds like it could make good space ship armor.

Argyros

UMBC Postdoctoral fellow Sarah Stellwagen and Rebecca Renberg at the Army Research Lab in Maryland have published the first ever complete sequences of genes that allow spiders to produce glue — a sticky, modified version of spider silk. This unique innovation could pave the way for scientists in manufacturing biomaterials for medical purposes [Article] [Publication]

Al Terego

So, if I use CRISPR to splice that gene sequence into my DNA, and wear red-and-blue spandex and a mask, I could make out with Mary-Jane Watson?

Argyros

Scientists from UBC have discovered an enzymatic pathway in the human gut microbiome that can convert¹ Type A blood to Type O blood, the universal donor standard, by removing its defining antigens. The potential use for this discovery is huge, considering how much blood is required by hospitals on a daily basis for emergency surgeries, scheduled operations, and routine transfusions. [Article] [Publication]

¹ – With the same rhesus factor (Rh).

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on June 11, 2019, 06:23:45 PM
Scientists from UBC have discovered an enzymatic pathway in the human gut microbiome that can convert¹ Type A blood to Type O blood, the universal donor standard, by removing its defining antigens. The potential use for this discovery is huge, considering how much blood is required by hospitals on a daily basis for emergency surgeries, scheduled operations, and routine transfusions. [Article] [Publication]

¹ – With the same rhesus factor (Rh).

What the heck, that sounds too good and awesome in everyway, will need to read the article later :o

e. Looked neat. I hope they can scale this up to production as soon as possible. I bet funding isn't gonna be an issue.

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJq6ygTWdao

This is just crazy good. Combine this with some of the modern speech synthetically and it's already impossible for an average human to tell fake inverview footage from neural network edited one.

Argyros

Quote from: Sain on June 15, 2019, 03:10:34 PM

This is just crazy good. Combine this with some of the modern speech synthetically and it's already impossible for an average human to tell fake interview footage from a neural network edited one.

Seeing is believing.

Argyros

Stressed? Researchers from the University of Colorado are currently working on a "stress vaccine" derived from Mycobacterium vaccae, a soil-borne bacterium. When laboratory mice were injected with the serum prior to a stressful event, it prevented a symptom similar to PTSD, which diminished stress reactions. Going a step further, the team was also able to identify, isolate and synthesize the lipid responsible for these effects. [Article] [Publication]

Oniya

Quote from: Argyros on June 16, 2019, 05:51:42 PM
Stressed? Researchers from the University of Colorado are currently working on a "stress vaccine" derived from Mycobacterium vaccae, a soil-borne bacterium. When laboratory mice were injected with the serum prior to a stressful event, it prevented a symptom similar to PTSD, which diminished stress reactions. Going a step further, the team was also able to identify, isolate and synthesize the lipid responsible for these effects. [Article] [Publication]

Soil-borne...  I wonder if this might be yet another reason that things like gardening and 'forest bathing' are useful ways of dealing with stress.  (The whole 'relaxing and being in quiet, calm environments' thing doesn't hurt either, of course.)

Argyros

Quote from: Oniya on June 16, 2019, 05:59:19 PM
Soil-borne...  I wonder if this might be yet another reason that things like gardening and 'forest bathing' are useful ways of dealing with stress.  (The whole 'relaxing and being in quiet, calm environments' thing doesn't hurt either, of course.)

I agree. I may be biased on this conjecture due to prior research, but the effects of nature on human health and well-being have been scientifically proven in studies the world over. [1] [2] [3] [4] I wouldn't be surprised if a soil-borne microorganism such as Mycobacterium vaccae was a contributing factor to reduced stress responses in humans, in addition to the ones you have mentioned.

Further to the original study, inactivated vaccines of M. vaccae have been previously utilized as immunotherapy for allergic asthma, cancer, depression, leprosy, psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and tuberculosis. Interestingly, while M. vaccae is nonpathogenic, its cousin M. tuberculosis is highly pathogenic and, as the name suggests, is responsible for causing tuberculosis.

Quote from: WikipediaNumerous trials have indicated that exposure to oral and injectable products derived from M. vaccae bacteria can have positive effects in treating tuberculosis. Although a 2002 review of selected clinical trials failed to find any consistent benefit of certain dosage regimens of injectable Mycobacterium products in people with tuberculosis,[6] a more recent meta-analysis of 54 clinical studies of M. vaccae products for tuberculosis showed treatment resulted in improved sputum conversion and radiological (X-ray) assessment.[7]

Sain

Sain

Sain

RedRose

Al Terego

Quote from: RedRose on July 08, 2019, 12:36:36 PM
seriously need a stress vax

Here you go...

Sain

Recursive language and modern imagination were acquired simultaneously 70,000 years ago

Article, link to the paper at the end of it.

Kinda fun. I wonder how it must've been for the first ones to speak proper language when they talked with their parents ;D

Argyros

A new way to decompose microplastics could help clear waterways of these tiny bits of trash, which may pose health risks to people and other animals. In the future, water treatment facilities that employ carbon nanomaterials may not only help prevent new microplastic pollutants from entering the environment, but also potentially remove the particles from polluted waterways. Jian Kang, a chemical engineer at Curtin University in Perth, Australia and colleagues tested their technique on 80 mL water samples contaminated with microplastic particles. Carbon nanotube treatment in water warmed to 120°C for eight hours reduced the amount of microplastic in the water by about 30 to 50%. Kang and colleagues are now working to refine their nanotubes to break down microplastics more efficiently without the help of high temperatures. [Article] [Publication]

Figure 1. Waterbourne microplastic particles being successfully decomposed by chemicals released by carbon nanotubes. © Xiaoguang Duan, 2019

Sain

That is very cool. There's been lots of research and media attention in Finland recently too about how to remove microplastic from wastewater. It's just sad that most of those technologies are not going to apply to saving the oceans from it, but at least inland lakes might be salvageable, which is of course awesome!

Al Terego

Speaking of...

Plastic Teabags Release Billions of Microparticles and Nanoparticles into Tea

Abstract Image
The increasing presence of micro- and nano-sized plastics in the environment and food chain is of growing concern. Although mindful consumers are promoting the reduction of single-use plastics, some manufacturers are creating new plastic packaging to replace traditional paper uses, such as plastic teabags. The objective of this study was to determine whether plastic teabags could release microplastics and/or nanoplastics during a typical steeping process. We show that steeping a single plastic teabag at brewing temperature (95 °C) releases approximately 11.6 billion microplastics and 3.1 billion nanoplastics into a single cup of the beverage. The composition of the released particles is matched to the original teabags (nylon and polyethylene terephthalate) using Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS). The levels of nylon and polyethylene terephthalate particles released from the teabag packaging are several orders of magnitude higher than plastic loads previously reported in other foods. An initial acute invertebrate toxicity assessment shows that exposure to only the particles released from the teabags caused dose-dependent behavioral and developmental effects.

Link

gaggedLouise

A few milion years ago, around the time when Lucy and other early hominids were walking around in Africa, the heart of the Milky Way saw a series of super-powerful explosions and flare-ups, and at the time the core region must have been much more luminous than today, even in the night skies of Earth. And it didn't come and go overnight, either: this "active phase" is presumed to have lasted for around 300.000 years. All of it happening in connection with the huge black hole that still resides at the central point of our galaxy.

Amazing. :)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/06/world/milky-way-center-explosion-scn/index.html

Argyros

Press Release! The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 to John B. Goodenough (University of Texas), M. Stanley Whittingham (Binghamton University), and Akira Yoshino (Meijo University) for their contributions to the development of the lithium-ion battery. This lightweight, rechargeable battery is used worldwide in electronic devices such as cellphones, laptops and electric vehicles, the last of which can store significant amounts of energy from renewable sources, making a fossil fuel-free society possible in the future. An award well deserved, if not a bit overdue. [Press Release] [Technology Information] [Scientific Background]

Argyros

Researchers at Penn Medicine have developed an effective gene therapy to successfully and safely prevent severe muscle deterioration associated with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), a rare genetic disease that affects approximately 1 in 5,000 people. The scientific results were published on October 7, 2019 in Nature Medicine and delineates how the therapy uses utrophin (µUtro) as a non-immunogenic substitute for dystrophin, which eliminates the hindrance of immune responses found in other therapeutic approaches. [Article]

Sain

Quote from: Argyros on October 10, 2019, 09:31:45 PM
Press Release! The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 to John B. Goodenough (University of Texas), M. Stanley Whittingham (Binghamton University), and Akira Yoshino (Meijo University) for their contributions to the development of the lithium-ion battery. This lightweight, rechargeable battery is used worldwide in electronic devices such as cellphones, laptops and electric vehicles, the last of which can store significant amounts of energy from renewable sources, making a fossil fuel-free society possible in the future. An award well deserved, if not a bit overdue. [Press Release] [Technology Information] [Scientific Background]

Quote from: Argyros on October 19, 2019, 10:11:24 AM
Researchers at Penn Medicine have developed an effective gene therapy to successfully and safely prevent severe muscle deterioration associated with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), a rare genetic disease that affects approximately 1 in 5,000 people. The scientific results were published on October 7, 2019 in Nature Medicine and delineates how the therapy uses utrophin (µUtro) as a non-immunogenic substitute for dystrophin, which eliminates the hindrance of immune responses found in other therapeutic approaches. [Article]

Damn these are both awesome news. It's really cool to see how science jut chugs on, keeps on making everything more awesome :-)

Sain

Sain

Promising therapy for common form of eczema identified in early-stage trial

So a group has basically identified an anti–IL-33 antibody (etokimab), which, by inhibiting the function of  alarmin cytokine IL-33 (associated with variety of medical conditions), can treat the common eczema. Why I'm excited (besides having eczema) is that this drug would be a lot more specific than the currently prescribed drugs for difficult cases, ie. potentially have fewer side effects, and thereby be easier for doctors to prescribe. One thing that is not so exciting is that it's an antibody drug, so it will remain to be seen whether the prohibitive costs are gonna bar this one from reach of most people or not.

Original publication: Y.-L. Chen el al., "Proof-of-concept clinical trial of etokimab shows a key role for IL-33 in atopic dermatitis pathogenesis," Science Translational Medicine (2019). stm.sciencemag.org/lookup/doi/ … scitranslmed.aax2945

Argyros

A new study published in the scientific journal eLife has revealed that ants are immune to spatial congestion when commuting. Even in dense, crowded conditions, ant colonies still managed to maintain a smooth and efficient traffic flow by adjusting their own behavior to adapt to changing circumstances. Scientists believe this is a type of biological adaptive system to benefit the entire colony. [Article] [Publication]

gaggedLouise

The Universe may be curved around itself, instead of being geometrically structured the same way in all directions. :) And this is not just a purely theoretical possibility -.there are weird discrepancies in the data record that might ultimately lead to something like this...

https://www.livescience.com/universe-may-be-curved.html

Dichotomy

I can't help but snicker whenever I read this:
Are cats liquid?

Lilias

The Day the Dinosaurs Died

On one hand, I really want to see that Q Machine model. On the other hand... yikes! As previews of the apocalypse go, this makes it clear why Aziraphale and Crowley want none of it. :D
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

gaggedLouise

Early sugar compounds may well have come from space, via meteorites, rather than just forming here in shallow parts of the primeval ocean.

Sugar compounds (riboses, etc) are one of the most basic groups of building blocks for the origin of life, and they've always been supposed to have formed locally here on Earth, so this finding of the stuff on board meteorites recently arrived from space is a real eye-opener.

gaggedLouise

Coldest man in the world - absolutely fascinating article about an elite swimmer who takes a tour underneath an ice shelf of Antarctica, down into an ice-cave glacial river on the underside of the ice.  :P And not just foir fun - nope, he's making scentific observations of the state of the ice...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/10/sport/lewis-pugh-slava-fetisov-antarctica-swim-spt-intl/index.html

gaggedLouise

Mutiny in space? Not quite, but at least severely tangled work relationships between space station and NASA's Mission Control. Fascinating and hilarious article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-56346001

Oniya

Cross-section of the Walled City of Kowloon

http://www.rioleo.org/kowloon/crosssection.jpg

A team of Japanese researchers spent time until the night before it was demolished measuring and drawing the building, creating this incredible section

Information on the construction of the image here:  http://www.zachscott.org/2018/12/23/compositing-kowloon/

TeamVelma

Toxicological analysis of George’s marvellous medicine: literature review

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4467

There is an interactive 'medicine maker' in the link.  Who knew ToxBase could be so much fun...
Scooby: I’m afraid you’ve gone mad with power.
Velma: Of course I have! Have you ever tried going mad without power? It’s boring, no one listens to you.

From herecomesthosemedellingkids on tumblr

Belated A&A here
O/Os here

Oniya

Quote from: TeamVelma on March 31, 2021, 03:17:50 PM
Toxicological analysis of George’s marvellous medicine: literature review

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4467

There is an interactive 'medicine maker' in the link.  Who knew ToxBase could be so much fun...

Laughed out loud at this bit.
QuoteEthical approval: Not required. No consent has been sought from George Kranky, the original maker of the medicine, or his parents. The barrier to this chiefly being their fictional nature and therefore inability to give valid consent.

gaggedLouise

A tiger (from a zoo) receives successful eye surgery. :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56888358

"It takes a lot more to anaesthetize a tiger than a domestic cat" - wow, I never figured that out before! :D

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

RedRose

Oniya

Quote from: RedRose on June 06, 2021, 02:38:34 PM
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23347499/

What's extra fun about that is the listing of two other studies that basically contradict it: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23527040/ (listed as 'free')
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23800165/ (not tagged as 'free')

Both of which indicate that increased parental age has the identical effect on stature.

(Speaking anecdotally, my brother is a tall boy, but my three sisters and I have identical heights and builds for the most part, to the point that we could all trade clothes.  If we had the same sense of fashion.)

RedRose

I really do wonder what it's coming from. Born to older parents (esp dad), 5'10

Oniya

I think the researchers are getting correlation instead of causation.  By one paper, my oldest sister (first born female) should be taller than my younger sister.  By another one, my younger sister (born when my parents were 15 years older than when my oldest sister was born) should be taller.  I'm leaving my brother out just to minimize variables.

Oniya

Bezukhov

Quote from: Oniya on June 07, 2021, 03:04:31 PM
I think the researchers are getting correlation instead of causation.  By one paper, my oldest sister (first born female) should be taller than my younger sister.  By another one, my younger sister (born when my parents were 15 years older than when my oldest sister was born) should be taller.  I'm leaving my brother out just to minimize variables.

I'm way taller than my parents, my elder sister (who's five years older than me) and my elder brother (who's eleven years older than me)!  ;D
| ONs & OFFs | Request Thread | always up for brainstorming

gaggedLouise

A headline like "Dead Suns Smashing Together" (on the BBC's front page) gets me hooked at once - this is a very nice description of a super rare phenomenon - so far observed only once - out of which some heavy metals are born ("Heavy Metal Thunder", anyone?) ;) - but also an exceptional telescope.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-61911047

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41640256

Though not mentioned directly, I think the end product of this kind of collision could be a black hole.

stormwyrm

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 21, 2022, 12:39:26 PM
Though not mentioned directly, I think the end product of this kind of collision could be a black hole.

Probably a likely outcome, but in general such a collision could also conceivably produce a heavier neutron star as well, depending on just how heavy the original neutron stars were, and how much of their substance got ejected into space instead of staying together, which depends on the exact dynamics of the collision. Astrophysicist Ethan Siegel wrote about this when the first such detection was made in 2017:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/10/20/seeing-one-example-of-merging-neutron-stars-raises-five-incredible-questions/

That particular collision from GW170817 produced a remnant that was 2.74 solar masses, which is somewhat above the theoretical limit for a stationary neutron star, but if the remnant is spinning, it could have been an unstable hypermassive neutron star, that might have eventually collapsed into a black hole as it slowed its spinning.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

So, are we supposed to eat the avocado toast or not?

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

BlueOrange

Psychological impacts of porn

(1) Participation in "NoFap" abstinence culture linked to higher rates of erectile dysfunction, depression and misogyny:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13634607231157070?journalCode=sexa

(2) No such thing as porn addiction, but existing religious beliefs lead to more harmful reactions in porn consumers AND religious belief was a better predictor of whether someone believed they had experienced problematic pornography use than whether they had actually used pornography at all.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-018-1248-x

(3) Being religious leads to bad interactions with porn:
https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/usac20/current

(4) Pornography use can predict depression - but only in people with religious values:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29377724/

BlueOrange

More porn research (from a Facebook thread, not my descriptons):
Quote from: Awesome dude on Facebook
Next we have a round on porn and relationships. The evidence here is all fairly one way:
(a) That where partners are afraid to be open about their porn use with a partner, it's a good predicter of an unstable relationship;
(b) That porn use in both men and women in unsatisfying relationships is likely to either predict or exacerbate the breakup of that relationship; and
(c) That there is no discernible harm or connection to relationship strength for porn use by either men or women in consensually NON-monogamous relationships.
i.e. in terms of relationships, it's not the porn that's the problem, it's a combination of poor communication skills, existing relationship dissatisfaction, and toxic forms of monogamy.
See:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-020-01782-z
And:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28341933/
I should pause to note that in looking at research in this area, there's a lot of very BAD research, which falls afoul of one or more of the following problems:
(a) Funded by or undertaken within Christian organisations for the purpose of proving a presumed hypothesis (some fairly rabid right-wing fundamentalist Christian NFPs are some of the primary commissioners of "research" in this area);
(b) Assuming that straight cis men are the primary or exclusive consumers of porn;
(c) Undertaking research primarily or exclusively among religious or conservative communities without controlling for it;
(d) Categorising all forms of consensual kink and restraint as "violent porn";
(e) Assuming that the front page of PornHub fully represents the breadth and depth of pornography, and the full range of circumstances in which it is made and consumed;
(f) Undertaken by researchers who are simply not experienced or literate in sex themselves.

Next: does porn use cause poor body image, misogyny, or sexual violence? No, no, and no.
Link roundup:
Perception of pornography as realistic among adolescents is directly linked to whether they've received any other form of sex education (i.e. adolescents don't model behaviour on porn as long as they've had any other sex ed, but otherwise might).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0747563219300299
But people who DO view porn as realistic... actually have higher body image and felt better about their bodies:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00224499.2018.1475546?journalCode=hjsr20
No clear link between porn use and misogynistic violence. It may make already misogynistic men more violent (effects seen in some 7 percent of all men), but also some evidence it *decreases* negative attitudes to women in adolescents. (It's unclear whether they controlled for the possibility that misogynistic men were seeking out misogyny communities to find their porn, with a resulting community effect.)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/talking-apes/202104/does-porn-use-lead-sexual-violence
Studies based on self-reporting show link between porn use and erectile dysfunction in men - but objective lab studies show no such link:
https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/.../S1743-6095(20.../fulltext
The biggest consumers of porn ("porn superfans") overwhelmingly held strongly feminist attitudes:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/socf.12506
Pornography users are on average more feminist than non-users:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00224499.2015.1023427
Early porn use was of no value in predicting sexual violence:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33083941/
No evidence of effects on body image or relationship satisfaction in women who self-reported problematic porn use:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10720162.2018.1532360?journalCode=usac20
Women who hold beliefs that female genitalia is attractive and desirable have higher sexual satisfaction:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0092623X.2019.1586018

Oh, lastly, there's also an interesting range of studies that consistently show that, despite what you might think, that rates of pornography consumption have NOT increased with the advent of the internet. Total % of consumers (male and female) remained steady, and that neither accessibility, price, or anonymity of porn markets meaningfully affected the number of people who consumed porn.
I forgot to collect the links of those, and I suspect that it doesn't account for time spent with porn per consumer, or the types and range of porn consumed. And of course the initial reaction of "ha, ha, people use porn no matter what you do" fails to account for *where* they use their porn - i.e. where porn is illegal or restricted, people will access porn in less safe and regulated environments, and performers will also be working in less safe and independent conditions.

Al Terego

Quote from: BlueOrange on June 07, 2023, 02:10:54 AM
Masturbation is 40 million years old.

I'm a bit skeptical of the science.

It looks like they looked at primate species that exhibit the behaviour and traced a common ancestor to 20m years ago, but that does not necessarily mean that that common ancestor also engaged in it.

Oniya

Considering the age-old Q&A about why a dog *ahem* (because he can!), I'd hazard it dates to the early mammals at least.   ;D

Al Terego

Oh, I don't doubt it in the least -- supply an ape with a pleasure button, it will get pushed, often.
Just that I expect the science to be more rigorous.
Then again, maybe it was; I only saw the reporting, not the publication.

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Lilias

~Wendell Berry