Hogwarts A Future

Started by Kendra, January 03, 2012, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zealously Jaded

I have a question...will all the students have come up from the first school...no non magical student appearing and having to learn the basics, the students that are there are some what adept at using magic?

Josietta

*Swats Lunar*  I'm a good girl!!  O:)

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Flower

Kokaine

Aww... a muggle-born first year boy. *bounces*
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Kendra

Quote from: Absinthe Tori on January 03, 2012, 06:03:59 PM
I have a question...will all the students have come up from the first school...no non magical student appearing and having to learn the basics, the students that are there are some what adept at using magic?

students still get a letter at eleven but it's to attend the ministry school of witchcraft and wizardry. At sixteen they receive another letter - this one is the prized letter from Hogwarts  - so ALL the students will have been taught at the Ministries new school - the Junior version of Hogwarts, tis in the wiki on the very first page about the third paragraph down ;) - this also means every one has the same starting point in the game with regards education - a characters ability to grasp what they've been taught is of course entirely up to the player.

QuoteThe Ministry of Magic under the control of Vincent Proudmane as Minister, changed the education system of students in Britain, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. All students at the age of eleven would no longer attend school at Hogwarts but would attend a junior academy within the Ministry. They would use only training wands, with limited function and be taught basic spells to use, the majority of their learning would be through theory. ... They would also learn the practical use of incantations and potions. Their subjects would broaden from ...

muggle studies
history of magic
Hogwarts concise history
beginners practical incantations
magical theory

Reia

I'm already working on a bio and some personality things for my character. Just haven't decided if they're going to be a girl or boy. :p Love seeing all the excitement, really hypes things up!
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kendra

I think even myself and Aiden are bowled over by the eagerness here Reia ;)

Zealously Jaded

Quote from: Kendra on January 03, 2012, 06:10:51 PM
students still get a letter at eleven but it's to attend the ministry school of witchcraft and wizardry. At sixteen they receive another letter - this one is the prized letter from Hogwarts  - so ALL the students will have been taught at the Ministries new school - the Junior version of Hogwarts, tis in the wiki on the very first page about the third paragraph down ;) - this also means every one has the same starting point in the game with regards education - a characters ability to grasp what they've been taught is of course entirely up to the player.

Thank you, I think I must have read it and was muddled. :) Great idea and I can't wait to get started :)

Caela

Quote from: Aiden on January 03, 2012, 05:57:36 PM

We do plan on this game actually moving along at a decent pace so a first year will be able to move to the next year (and so forth). Also those who start as first years have the ability to gain bonuses the entering "Older" students will not, so starting off young has its perks.

This creates a new question lol...What sort of bonuses would the younger students be able to get that the older students would miss out on?

My girl will probably end up in the middle but her end goal (the job she wants after school) is to become an Auror and I don't want to short her somehow by making her too old at the start and having her miss out on something. Of course characters change and develop, what I am thinking she wants now could change entirely as the game goes on! lol

Aiden

Mostly optional stuff, I am testing a system with dueling and fighting Caela to prevent any conflict OOC over who would win, who is stronger, etc etc. There will be a dueling club and to participate you need to use this optional system. Bonus will be given for "combat" this system will not dictate your grades and future but it is mostly for "in game" bragging rights and trophies in our trophy room.

Jag

Quote from: LunarSage on January 03, 2012, 06:01:34 PM
Because boys are disgusting perverts and girls are sweet and innocent, right?

*Thinks the teachers at Hogwarts never met girls from E*   :o :P

Not sure what girls you're talking about, but I'm a perfect lady.  O:)
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

TheHangedOne

I'm interested. Will undoubtedly be back with questions once I've more thoroughly looked over the wiki. It's a little daunting,  but in a good way. I can tell a lot of effort was put into this just at first glance.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Saerrael

*plants a flag to find the thread back*

Interested, but contemplating.

SomeGuy

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Seemed relevant.  ::)

Kendra

*smiles at THM and Saerra and Someguy* glad of the interest  :-)

THM it is overwhelming at first glance but that's why we posted it without giving any one a character sheet to fuss over. We want you all to take your time and have fun reading through it. There is no rush honestly.

We will also be having quidditch and will be having classes - this is all said of course in the wiki ;)
those who attend classes earn  valuable house points and we all know where those lead ... Talyn the Gryffindor HoH is hoping to see the house cup with Gryffindor on it this year   >:)

TheHangedOne

I'm workin' my way through it, one page at a time.  :-) It's all jivin' thus far. Already tossing idea-seeds around for a character.
Check out my poet tree!

Saerrael

QuoteSeer

Being a seer is to be able to see into the future, predict it, and interpret it and to do so almost at will.

For your character to be a seer you must have a character who has taken at least two years of Divination with Os in both years. Special lessons will be supplied to your character and after them they must receive at least an A in their NEWT Divination course.

Can a character have a rudimentary talent or magical inclination towards precognition? I'm still pondering deeply here. I'm not planning to create a character that is able to use such a gift in any way without training, but would like him to zone out now and then.

Caela

Quote from: Aiden on January 03, 2012, 06:28:13 PM
Mostly optional stuff, I am testing a system with dueling and fighting Caela to prevent any conflict OOC over who would win, who is stronger, etc etc. There will be a dueling club and to participate you need to use this optional system. Bonus will be given for "combat" this system will not dictate your grades and future but it is mostly for "in game" bragging rights and trophies in our trophy room.

Ahhhhh, o.k. then starting her a little further along is no big. Thanks!

TheHangedOne

Question time. I don't believe it's ever been done in the Potter-Verse, but in theory, could a well-trained duelist be able to dual wield wands, and cast different spells at the same time?  I realize that would probably be overpowered as hell, but figured I'd ask anyways.
Check out my poet tree!

Kendra

@ Saerra - for now we're not allowing any characters to enter with special abilities

@ THM - the only time a wizard can have two wands is if the witch or wizard has successfully won it from their opponent, otherwise the wand won't yield to it's new master. To duel wield is not difficult but still it would be impossible to cast two spells simultaneously and not every spell has the same wand movement. It would be possible to cast a spell with one first and then resort to the other straight after but again ... we are trying to make sure every one starts at pretty much an even playing field so no double wands at this time  C:)

Saerrael

Damn, then I have to just make him dreamy without any case.

Jag

I'm sure that won't be difficult, Saerra. He's pretty dreamy from what I've seen. ^^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Saerrael

*laughs* I know, I know. I just wanted him to have a better base than that.

Josietta

No Darth Maul of Wizardry!?  Oh Noes! ;p I kid.. hehe.. I just want that seeker spot! Quidditch for Life!!!!!!!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

TheHangedOne

Makes sense, kendra. Just figured I'd ask anyways. Other questions!

Can a Parcelmouth talk to only snakes, specifically? Are their other types of animal-speakers, or are snakes the exception to the rule?

How common would 'shield' items (like shield cloaks) be? From what I've read, it seems like they were mass produced at one point, by the Weasley's.
Check out my poet tree!