GM for Sidereal-focused Exalted game

Started by eternaldarkness, July 24, 2015, 12:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

I believe you.  I intenralized the attunement rules back in 1st edtion, so I couldn't tell you where to find them now.  I checked it with Riveda  just in case. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angie

I mean, if that's how it works, I'll just commit the 10 I need for all my gear from Periphiral and always go around with my gear ready.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

AndyZ

That's very standard.

As I remember, you do need to have your anime go off when you initially attune, but then it just never does again no matter how long you leave the artifact attuned.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Angiejuusan on August 03, 2015, 12:17:13 PM
I mean, if that's how it works, I'll just commit the 10 I need for all my gear from Periphiral and always go around with my gear ready.
Exactly.

Muse

Do we have anyone who does much with sorcery? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Meliai

Swift definitely has Emerald circle, not sure if she's reached Sapphire yet as her sheet is still in flux. I will let you know as soon as Ive got her charms locked in.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Angie

As a somewhat more experienced player...I'd really advice against it. Sorcery kinda sucks compared to a lot of the stuff we can do as Exalted...if we were mortal, Sorcery would rock. We're Celestial though. You don't really get that much bang for your buck. If you wanna go for it though, don't let me stop you. There are some awesome spells-the summon demon spells make you a goddamn rockstar!

Rook Seidhr

It is partly an issue of flavor. Kicking off a couple of Celestial Circle spells in combat can be really impressive and fun, even though it doesn't measure up mote-for-mote to the carnage one can inflict with Charms. And utility spells are very powerful. Sorcery is an XP drain, though, and that limits how far you can get into the best MA.

Meliai

I'll keep that in mind! I don't really have any part of her sheet entirely nailed down yet, like I said~
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Rook Seidhr

Because someone asked, the actual rules for Craft (Fate) are in the sidebar on p. 74 of MoEP:Sidereals. You might or might not take dots in it; you are unlikely to be in a position to roll it, but it could be roleplaying fodder (and who knows? Maybe someday you'll chair a committee).

Muse

I've also noticed a few charms that call for Craft: Fate rolls.  They might have all been craft charms. 

Angie

I don't have any of those, thankfully. I know, a Joybringer without Craft charms.

Angie

Meliai

Perdy!

I'd offer to try and shop her hair blue, but I haven't had much luck with soft painter-y pictures in the past I'm afraid
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

ReijiTabibito

Meliai talked to me about this game.  Partly because she and I are in the middle of an Exalted campaign ourselves, and partly because Sidereals happen to be my particular specialty when it comes to Exalted.  I've read the thread and also looked over the HR document Riveda posted.  Given the emphasis on the Convention of Fire, this sounds like the South to me.  Now, I've gathered that everyone is an Independent, since the HR bans Backing from the Factions.

Here's a question I've got - are the Martial Arts styles from Debris from the Fallen Races available to take?

EDIT: Also, are we actually starting at Essence 2?  You would think a Sidereal with 30-50 years of experience would have gotten it up to 3, probably 4, and quite possibly 5, depending on their particular focus.  Nevermind.  I'm an idiot.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 04, 2015, 07:04:46 PM
Given the emphasis on the Convention of Fire, this sounds like the South to me.
Yes, though the characters will be spending roughly as much time in Yu-Shan as in the field.

Now, I've gathered that everyone is an Independent, since the HR bans Backing from the Factions.
You are correct; that decision was based on the first few players who expressed character ideas saying they wanted to be independents. It also fits well in Convention of Fire.

Here's a question I've got - are the Martial Arts styles from Debris from the Fallen Races available to take?

I did not expect anyone to ask me that one. I keep saying to myself "I need to make a list of the permitted styles from Scroll of the Monk and Imperfect Lotus" but I didn't think anyone would feel the need for Eye of Heaven Style. It doesn't seem overpowered to me at first glance; might be underpowered, I just don't know.

Given a cool backstory, sure, why not. You'd probably have to have Gold Faction Connections to get that ori reaver, though.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Riveda on August 04, 2015, 07:16:18 PM
Yes, though the characters will be spending roughly as much time in Yu-Shan as in the field.

Okay.  So partly fieldwork and partly politics at home.  RIGHT.

Quote from: Riveda on August 04, 2015, 07:16:18 PMYou are correct; that decision was based on the first few players who expressed character ideas saying they wanted to be independents. It also fits well in Convention of Fire.

It does.  Independents work well in three of the five directional Conventions - Air, Fire, and Water.  Earth and Wood are havens for the Bronzes and Golds, respectively.  Air works well for Indeps because the North chair died recently, and now there's a lot of scrambling by both factions to secure the chair for themselves.  An ambitious independent might rise to sit there because one faction would rather deny the other the benefit of it, even if it means one of their own can't sit there.

Fire is easy. Nazri is the Chair in the South, and he's the biggest independent around.  Plus he lives to trip up the factions.

Water partly breathes off Independents.  While the West Chair is a Bronze herself, she has stated that factional politics will not be allowed.  In the West, Bronzes mainly operate in the Wavecrest Archipelago - only allowed to leave the island chain on important convention business.  Golds are allowed everywhere but Wavecrest.  Independents in the West, however, can go anywhere, which makes them highly valuable.

Quote from: Riveda on August 04, 2015, 07:16:18 PM

I did not expect anyone to ask me that one. I keep saying to myself "I need to make a list of the permitted styles from Scroll of the Monk and Imperfect Lotus" but I didn't think anyone would feel the need for Eye of Heaven Style. It doesn't seem overpowered to me at first glance; might be underpowered, I just don't know.

Given a cool backstory, sure, why not. You'd probably have to have Gold Faction Connections to get that ori reaver, though.

Hee hee hee.  Take a look at Eye of Heaven.  I'm not 100% sold on it yet, though I would note that if I did make a character who had it, they would be a former Gold Star, and no, I would probably not use an Ori-Reaver, but rather a pair of PKBs.  The form Charm for Eye of Heaven raises the Strength of the character using it by...I THINK Essence.  Nope.  Martial Arts.

EDIT:  Hey, question to the table.  What is everyone planning on doing for their Martial Arts, since this is a Sidereal game?  I've got a handful of Celestial styles - and I might even stoop to a Terrestrial style - that I've got on tap for my character, whatever they end up being.  Current frontrunning styles are:

Eye of Heaven (from Debris of Fallen Races)
Crystal Chameleon (Most High Maidens)
Ebon Shadow (Scroll of the Monk)

Muse

Quote from: Meliai on August 03, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
I'll keep that in mind! I don't really have any part of her sheet entirely nailed down yet, like I said~

Is your character up for vieing yet, Melai? 

I'm currnetly torn between Journeys and Secrets, and want to avoid overlapping you TOO much.  :)

Meliai

She's still got some background dots and bonus points unspent, specialties unassigned and I haven't started colleges at all but the rest is reeeeelatively solid I think? Unless someone tells me I did something super dumb~

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h2hTvo8NRcJIUyjZ7ZsNSfErOKevnzVbNRjftqP1jFQ/edit?usp=sharing

Her main focuses are sneakysneak and snoopysnoop, with lying and knowing everything secondary
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Muse

Here's a concept aplication for a Chosen of Serenity I'm quite fond of.  Riveda, let me know if you want me to chage or downplay his motivation. 

Graceful Willow

Name:      Lai Aan/Graceful Willow
Type:      Sidereal
Auspice:   Serenity

--Apparent:   21
Birthday:   21st of Ascending Wood
Height:      5’11”
Weight:      175lbs
Build:      Lythe as a willow, but with the dense tone of a fencer.
Skin:      Light gold. 
Hair:      Rich russet with fiery highlights.   
Eyes:      Liquid black with cerulean flecks. 
Style:      Silken hakima and Kimono.  Exceptional slashing sword in a rosewood sheath tucked into his obi for a right handed draw. 

Anima:      Cerulean Halo
Motivation:    Destroy the games of divinity. 
Intimacies:   
   Conceal his motivation. 
   Creation and heaven alike will benefit from the resurgance of the dragon kings. 
   Zane Akkadian is a good friend, keeper of much lore that is largely forgotten.
   Zara Akkadian: Respect, possessive love, lust, and loyalty. 

Lai Aan bears the exaltation of Li Mu Bai, perhaps the most renowned sifu that the Chosen of Serenity ever produced. 

Shan Xu, Li Mu Bai's student and lover, tracked down his successor.  Finding that he was an orphan on the blessed isle, she saw to it that Lai Aan was taken into an Immaculate temple well known for producing powerful mortal martial artists--including a number of mortal practitioners of Five Dragon style 

(Events of Exaltation?) 

After his Exaltation, Shan Xu brought Lai Aan into Yuu Shan and became both his sifu and his mentor.  IT was something of a smothering experience.  Though Lai Aan appreciated her rich gifts and fine instruction, not to mention her beauty and power, her attention was distinctly smothering.  it didn't take him long to figure out that she wanted him to be someone he wasn't--but resembled enough to make matters difficult for them both. 

Nonethless, Lai Aan took to Yuu Shan like a fish to water.  The martial arts was a familiar aspect that grounded him.  He moved from quiet and polite in social situations outgoing and charming in short order.  Already a graceful man who loved doing kata to music, he took to dance--both performance and social--with a deep passion. 

After firmly extracting himself from as much of Shan xu's influence as he could, Lai Aan continued to thrive.  He became known as a charming ladies man and great lover.  Naturally, this was quickly identified as a weakness to exploit.  A goddess from the bureau of seasons--having recently been rewarded by the Unconquered SUn with a chance to make a single move in the Games of Divinity, shared a dream of that event with him using a dream stone. 

Will was quickly addicted to the experience.  He spent a year and a half as his lover's pawn for a chance to experience the dream again and again and again.  He got into minor legal trouble twice before higher ups in the organization caught on to the issue and staged an intervention. 

Lai Aan went into seclusion for several months to get his head in order.  He trained at martial arts and dance for focus.  He also came ot the most disturbing conclusion of his life. 

The Incarna were vastly more advanced than he in every way, but... 

The incarna had been playing the games of divinity for millennia.  If he could be addicted to the memory of a single move... 

Angie

Somehow I don't think Willow will get far with a hostile motivation like that...

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Angiejuusan on August 05, 2015, 12:56:43 AM
Somehow I don't think Willow will get far with a hostile motivation like that...

I think it's a great and epic motivation. The Games of Divinity are a plague on heaven and part of the reason for creations misery. Hell, my character would be onboard with that.

Rook Seidhr

@eternaldarkness:

We all had a chat this morning in the wee hours on Skype (I would have invited you but you were Away and I figured probably therefore asleep) and agreed that "Unchain the Celestial Incarna from the Games of Divinity" might be a more Serene way to put it. Probably comes down to the same thing in the end though.

Can you please give me an idea of what you've got, background-wise, and what you see your character's niche as being?

Rook Seidhr

I have a sense of who's into the fightyfights, who's a face, who's a crafter, etc.…

Anyone planning on going heavy in astrology?

Angie

Estela sees it as a useful tool, and since she has the Dragon's Tear Tiara that adds +3 to Astrology, and the Sidereal Astrology stuff is Charisma+Performance...she just might.

EDIT: Assuming the Gem of Grace (+2 to Charisma) and the Dragon Tear Tiara bonus both factor in...on any Sidereal Astrology roll to create a destiny, Estela comes packing a pool of 14 dice. This scares me, in a way...

EDIT 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: The Gem of Grace requires the target to see me, so no, it wouldn't apply. But the Tiara...