3rd ed Exalted, provisional interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, September 09, 2015, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

As far as I know, the initial backer release has been planned to have been looked through by the backers and have errors submitted to the team to fix for the final release/hardcover release. I'm not defending any issues that result from it, but as far as I know that's been their intent.

AndyZ

The most recent e-mail asks people to e-mail in if there are any mistakes.

Granted, I've seen quite a few, but I think the idea was to ask the community to help by pointing them out, while simultaneously giving us something that's at least workable to start playing.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 24, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
As far as I know, the initial backer release has been planned to have been looked through by the backers and have errors submitted to the team to fix for the final release/hardcover release.
That's absolutely correct! But there's no excuse for sending out a version that has errors this big in it. Did no one look at the PDF before hitting "send"?

That was a rhetorical question. The KS update made it clear that, indeed, no one looked at the PDF before hitting "send." They assumed the chapter files would merge into one PDF smoothly. Because, you know, nothing could go wrong at that stage.

AndyZ

Speaking only for myself, even though they obviously need time to fix everything, I'm glad to have a working copy to let me start playing.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: AndyZ on October 24, 2015, 02:36:15 PM
Speaking only for myself, even though they obviously need time to fix everything, I'm glad to have a working copy to let me start playing.
I would have said that last year. Maybe even six months ago. At this point? After so long in "final" layout? No.

Revelation

Trust me, I have more than my share of issues as well. The fact that they couldn't be assed to do bookmarks - but reliable bookmarks came from fans on day 1 of the backer release does speak heavily as to how much effort I feel they put in the final polish so far. The game is playable - moreso than playable (especially compared to 2e). But, I do think they could have done better on this release. I also think the 'organic layout' process resulted in something that looks sloppy.

Still, I can stop lamenting to my gaming groups that I spent on money on this, 2 and a half years later! I must admit if I do get into a game here, being a dawn with Volcano Cutter, because I want to be Sol Badguy evocations are pretty rad.

Rook Seidhr

My attitude may be influenced by my GM style. I'm not going to get any use out of the thing as a GM until most if not all of the major splats are out. So…another two years? Three? Unless someone else is running a game for me—and I'm going through a non-pbp phase again, so it would have to be real-time—why even bother reading it?

I can't remember why I backed it in the first place. Dumb of me. I should have just left it and gotten the PDF later.

Empyrean

Vekseid

Quote from: Jefepato on October 24, 2015, 01:59:15 PM
Is anyone else's PDF messed up?  My text is...flawed.

What viewer are you using? I'm not having any layout problems in the latest Sumatra.

Lockepick

Should we create some sort of data base of people looking to GM a game versus people that are going to play in it? I'm happy to compile the data -- then I could have it off to Hairy to put in the opening post.

Might be redundant with the thread, but who knows what has changed since this thread started. Do we think a more direct list would be helpful?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

AndyZ

Definitely want to play.

I'm thinking about running, but I'm very low on ideas and creativity, and the last game I tried to run just crashed.

Revelation

I think a 'database' would be good sense. I also don't think this would be the most appropriate thread to really lambast/critique the book itself. Not that such a discussion wouldn't be bad or anything, just doesn't quite feel on topic to go at length on any problems the book has, is all.

I'd love to play, but I imagine that's going to be 99% of what people wanna do anyway, heh.

HairyHeretic

I haven't had a proper chance to sit down with the rules yet, but I think once people start getting a proper read through, you'll see a game threads going up. I have an idea or two, but they're still fairly open. I like the idea of doing a Return of the Scarlett Empress campaign, but I think we'd want more than starter level characters for that :)

I also wouldn't be averse to using our Mumble server for a game, depending on peoples availability.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lockepick

If we think a database would be helpful: I'll start keeping track of posts made from here on.

I'd ask people specify if they intend to run or play! I'll create a list that I can update.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Jefepato

Quote from: Vekseid on October 24, 2015, 05:57:55 PM
What viewer are you using? I'm not having any layout problems in the latest Sumatra.
Whatever version of Adobe Reader is current?

Some of the Charms are randomly garbage.

Thufir Hawat

First things first! If anyone is starting an Ex3 game and want a Zenith, or any other Caste for a Perfect Circle, let me know!

Quote from: Jefepato on October 24, 2015, 06:59:38 PM
Whatever version of Adobe Reader is current?

Some of the Charms are randomly garbage.
Forget Adobe, FoxIt, Sumatra, Qu and Mu PDF are basically better. I've tried them on different devices.

Also, which Charms are those? I'm trying to compile a list.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 24, 2015, 07:12:35 AM
*chuckles* Might be a bit of each. The group I was playing with, we'd all been playing together for years, over a dozen different games, so we're pretty used to each other's ways by then, and rotated amongst 3 GMs, so we all got to play. We ran a sort of episodic format, ranging from a couple of sessions to a couple of months per story.
I've got a group I've been playing for years, too :P.
Exactly because we've been playing for years, I know some of them would go for shiny gifts from the gods, while others go for hyper-attributes. Which, as you know, is a break point if you want any sort of group cohesion.

Also, don't dash my hopes! You have to be that much better at GMing, I say ;D!

Quote from: Riveda on October 24, 2015, 02:23:32 PM
This wasn't supposed to be "the beta to the release." This was supposed to be everything but the final cover, and if there were any errors they were supposed to be so small that they'd only be caught by having thousands of people looking.

Also, the quality of the art (plagiarism issues aside) is depressing. There's good stuff, but it's the laughably awful stuff that stands out.

How long have we been waiting? This is the best they could do? I want my money back, or at least I want to downgrade to PDF-only.
My inner cynic whispered to me to go for PDF-only years ago, but for people like you, I hope Onyx Path would change at least most of the downright ugly pictures >:).

Also, there's at least one good news: the thing doesn't have a "how to create a campaign" section. Given how bad White Wolf advice on GMing has been, historically, I sincerely applaud that decision!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

ChaoticSky

Woo. Finally. o.o

That said, can we go somewhere other than the Scavenger Lands? I mean.. out of all of Creation, its the most hum drum boring generic fantasy place.  99% of all 2e games were in the Scav lands and it wasn't interesting to begin with. North, South, West, East(far).... anywhere else. Please.  o_o

Thufir Hawat

Well, I'd be fine with pretty much anywhere, if we can bring characters from another place. Exalted don't tend to sit in one place for long, anyway.
Of course, that means I'm fine with the Scavenger Lands, too.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Empyrean

I kind of like the Scavenger Lands and their whole theme of plucky defiance against the Realm. I can do other areas though.

Revelation

I don't mind the scavenger lands so much, but there are a lot of neat places in Creation. Whitewall and Gethamane up north, An-Teng for a unique city, Gem for the deep south, Cinder Isles & the Caul, and the coral archipelago for the west (piracy!), Chiarascuro too.

HairyHeretic

I think we have a fair number of Exalted fans here, both those who want to (or at least are willing to) GM, as well as those who want to play.

What do people think about the idea of a 'Living' Exalted campaign? Characters could carry over from one game to another, xp, items and history is kept (pending individual GM approval, if it might conflict with their own story plot). If a game finished up, or even an individual had to drop for whatever reason, they could then take the character on to another game later.

Thoughts?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jefepato

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 24, 2015, 08:09:27 PM
Also, which Charms are those? I'm trying to compile a list.
The list would be way too long to type out.  Not a majority, but still.

Winter King

I am planning to ST, probably. I mean, I am probably doing something in the Scavenger Lands, but I might be persuaded to move it elsewhere. I have a few ideas for a variety of places that seem interesting, especially the prison-city in the North and the Pure Way satrapy.
Current Status: Busy-ish, but back. I'll try to check in more often nowadays.

Check out my world!

Thufir Hawat

Living campaign would be nice,but how do you coordinate changes in the setting achieved by PCs of another group? It could work if the GMs were exchanging information on those, too, in which case, starting all the games in the same subforum might be almost required.

Quote from: Jefepato on October 25, 2015, 07:00:57 AM
The list would be way too long to type out.  Not a majority, but still.
OK, what are the three main reasons for crappititde, then?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Jefepato

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 25, 2015, 07:28:25 AM
OK, what are the three main reasons for crappititde, then?
Three?  Why three?

There is one reason.  It is unreadable.  To speak of examples, most of page 255 cannot be read.  I could give more examples but I don't see the point.

I don't mean difficult to read.  I mean absolutely impossible because it is just scattered letters.  Surely I'm not the only person with issues?  I downloaded it twice to be sure.