Anyone else on E really excited for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch?

Started by Galactic Druid, January 10, 2013, 02:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Actually, Chrono Trigger had a 'best' ending.  However, what I meant was more then just three endings, as in a Good, a Bad and a Neutral.  I want something closer to 10 endings, couple of them good, couple of them bad, and the rest vaguely neutral.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Galactic Druid

The only games I can think of that meet the criteria were Tactics Ogre, which I didn't even know how much the storyline could alter until the second time I played it, and Star Ocean, which didn't really have 10 endings, it had 3 main ones, and then tons of extra clips depending on who made up your party and how much they liked one another...
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Galactic Druid

With the exception of Game Informer, the NNK reviews have been pretty positive. With three days left, I'm beginning to get really pumped up!

Revelation

I'm hoping that Ni No Kuni does well, and shows that there is definitely an audience in the west craving good console JRPG's. If we could just get the devs and publishers to notice, we'd see some more games coming over, i'm sure.

Galactic Druid

I'd like to see a bit of a return to the way classic games were done. It seems these days everyone cares more about 'realism' than fun of whimsy.

I'm honestly kind of sad about how poorly the new DMC is being received. It's a really fun game, in my humble opinion, but the general population is snubbing it pretty hard for not being a 'real' DMC title.

Revelation

Oddly i've seen more positive reviews of DMC, than negative ones. Most negative ones are from the fans. I do think that if they didn't make it a DMC game, it would be getting better received. The DMC fanbase is vocal, and I do think they have good reason to be. Of course, I was never a big Devil May Cry fan in the first place, but they were fun.

Galactic Druid

That's the thing, actual reviewers are eating the game up (some people are saying they were paid, why why Capcom would try to buy reviews for DMC and not their current flagship series, Resident Evil, is beyond me. Eh, fans) because it's fun.

I played all the old games, and I don't understand why there's so much rage, to be honest. I mean, at it's core, DMC is a Devil May Cry game, the gameplay is spot on, it just so happens it's a new cast and world. Dante didn't need white hair for the game to be awesome though.

Besides, it's not like the original DMC games were anything sacred, 2 was awful...

Revelation

Overall the fan negativity comes from 2 things I believe

1) Turning Dante into the 'Fuck you!' grim dark personality, instead of the more jokester 'Cuhrazy' fool where he was more hammy, light hearted, and cheesy.

2) A significant reduction in combat difficult. A popular gif 'demonstrating' this is: http://i.minus.com/i302QQsrHNQ89.gif Which was linked to me by a friend.

I don't actually know how hard or easy the game is combat wise, but I do remember DMC3 (The most popular) being relatively enjoyed for how difficult it could get.

Galactic Druid

It definitely has it's easier moments, I'll give you that. I still think it's fun though. I played DMC more for the fun of it than the challenge, so i guess I don't mind.

There are some series that just wouldn't ring as well with Mass consumers these days. Capcom wants to make a DMC, but in the end, they also need to make money off it for it to work. I made the same argument about Fallout 3. Yeah, it's not the same as the originals, but really, no one's going to make a hex based game like that anymore in this age. I'd rather have Fallout 3 than have the franchise be gone for good.

Revelation

I’m fairly ambivalent about the change myself. Overall, I have other reasons to be mad at capcom I feel (megaman legends 3 RIP), but I can see a hardcore fans anger with DMC. Its certainly not the worst it can be, but but you were a massive fan of the first 4 games or even 1/3/4. this could be a slap in the face though I loathe the term.

Also New Vegas was the best fallout.

Galactic Druid

New Vegas was better than 3, but Fallout 2 will always be my favorite, if not for nostalgia. I was kind of hoping that the popularity of 3 and NV would mean a tablet port of the originals, but no such luck. If it ever did happen, I'd buy a tablet that day.

The promise of the MML3 demo was one of my major deciding factors in my 3DS. I traded it in towards a Vita out of spite when that didn't happen. Wow, that was a poor decision.

Also, it;s after midnight, 3 days left!! <3

Revelation

Ah, nostalgia is good but I feel NV has stronger writing, and some pretty cool characters to go with it. And yeah, I was going to pick up a 3DS soon after getting more info on MML3... But ‘Sorry fans, you’re not working hard enough to make this game for us so we’re canceling it.’ really capcom? Go eat shit!

Ah well, still plenty of other games I need to work on/finish.

Galactic Druid

With awesome companies that make awesome games on a consistent basis (THQ) facing hard times, I honestly find it hard to believe that Capcom is doing as well as they are. The last few games I've played from them (Resident Evil 6 was...just... I mean... wow.) were disappointing at best. It's hard to believe they're doing fine while the people responsible for Saint's Row and Darksiders are faltering.

Gary Stargazer

I've been burned by too many JRPG's lately to get excited about this, but I will give it some attention after it comes out and some people have played it. I don't trust reviews of magazines and game sites. I want to see what the players think of it. Regardless I will keep an eye on it.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Revelation

The thing is Capcom at this point is a bit too big to fail. Street fighter and similar games will always make them some big bucks, and the market in Japan is different than it is in the west, so they can pull off stupid stunts or make RE6 and still be wealthy enough to shoulder on.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 18, 2013, 11:33:04 PM
Overall the fan negativity comes from 2 things I believe

1) Turning Dante into the 'Fuck you!' grim dark personality, instead of the more jokester 'Cuhrazy' fool where he was more hammy, light hearted, and cheesy.

No, the main fan negativity was from the fact that Capcom gave Devil May Cry to another company.  And the hair.  But mostly it's the hair.

And yes, it really is that silly.

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 18, 2013, 11:33:04 PM2) A significant reduction in combat difficult. A popular gif 'demonstrating' this is: http://i.minus.com/i302QQsrHNQ89.gif Which was linked to me by a friend.

I gotta take a stab at this.  Here's the thing.  Yes, the combat has been 'dumbed down', but outside of an elite dedicated few players who took it to insane heights, NO ONE ever got good enough to dig into the Devil May Cry's combat system, not even the Hard Core got to do it all.  And especially not the average gamer, there were just some things that were out of reach, simply because some of them just didn't have the reflexes to pull it off.  So while, yes, the ceiling is lower for the new DMC, it's still high enough that the average player can still find tricks and techniques after a couple of play throughs.

There's something else as well, this is the first game in a reboot, and although there's at least 4 games previous, you do want something for the second and then third game in the series, right?  Maybe Ninja Theory is holding back something for the next game.  No one knows, though.

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 18, 2013, 11:33:04 PMI don't actually know how hard or easy the game is combat wise, but I do remember DMC3 (The most popular) being relatively enjoyed for how difficult it could get.

According to Capcom DMC4 was the highest selling of the bunch (looking for the numbers, can't seem to find it.)  And yet, their HD collection doesn't include it.  Weird hunh?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Galactic Druid

Finally! Can't wait until morning so I can go pick this up!

Goodnight, Elliquiy!

Revelation

A friend of mine is a bit ticked off it seems! Apparently his credit card was declined a few days after ordering the wizards edition of the game... And given how limited the run is for that, he's not able to order another one.