~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyanide Tears

It was terribly cold that night, foggy and cloudy. So cloudy you couldn't even see the stars. This night was a special...or should I say frightening night for me. As I was sitting in my recliner reading a book I heard a noise. It was in the middle of the night, so I just waved it off as the house settling. But, the sound happened again. It was a knocking sound, at my front door. My heart started pounding in my chest as I stood up, to walk over to the door to investigate.

There laying on my floor was a piece of mail. Must have come through the mail slot, but it was in the middle of the night! Who delivers mail at this hour? I reached down and grabbed the piece of mail. It had an off white color about it, but on the broadside of the mail was a seal. It was in the shape of a inverted cross. That was creepy, none the less I opened the mail and pulled out a scrap of paper. As I read it, a chill went up my spine. It read only two words.

"You're Next"

Shores

The ship fired its cannons from broadside. The hero leapt up, jumping from cannonball to cannonball until he made it to the deck, whereby he started punching pirates left and right.

persephone325

Today's word of the day is....

disparate
adjective DISS-puh-rut

Definition
1 : containing or made up of fundamentally different and often incongruous elements

2 : markedly distinct in quality or character
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

corvusul86

No one organized the protest.  It occurred spontaneously, as masses of disparate peoples all came together and shouted, with a single voice, no.  The government tried to put down the demonstration with riot police, but they proved ineffectual as millions spilled into the streets across across the country.  The military was called up, but rather than attack their countrymen the soldiers joined the protest.  It was then, finally, that the corrupt cabal saw the writing on the wall.

Shores

The sisters were disparate in their personality. One was shy and reserved, another loud and boisterous, while the third was a tomboy who never sat still, but what they now all had was a common enemy, and they resolved to work together to eliminate their father's rival from the map.

persephone325

September 28th's word of the day was....

pace
preposition PAY-see

Definition
: contrary to the opinion of — usually used as an expression of deference to someone's contrary opinion
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

corvusul86

"Look, I just can't do it anymore," Sarah said.

"Do what?" Anna asked.

"Every year we go to your parent's for dinner, and I just can't take it anymore," Sarah said.  "You'd think after this many years, hell, we've been married longer than your brother for either of his marriages, that she'd stop with the constant digs."

"My parents say something about you?" Anna asked.

Sarah sighed.  "No, they don't.  Not anymore, anyway.  I'm talking about your grandmother."

"Oh," Anna said.  "Her."

"Yes, her," Sarah spat.  "Every year we have to put up with her, and I'm sick of it."

"But where else would she go?" Anna asked.  "We're the only people she has left."

"Given how miserable of a bitch she is, I'm not surprised," Sarah grumbled.

"Sarah!"

"Look, I know I shouldn't be so thin skinned or whatever, but... I really, really hate it," Sarah said.  "She ruins every holiday she's at, which is all of them."

"I know, I know," Anna cooed.  "But sweetie, come on, they really are just words.  And the rest of the family, pace grandma, doesn't believe any of that junk.  Can you try, for me?"

"Fine," Sarah said.  "But if she starts up about sodomites again, so help me..."

Shores

"We don't have time to save everyone, pace what the wizard thinks. We're not all like him with magic powers and a telepathic understanding of our enemies. We have to fight for every scrap of knowledge in a battle, so some lives will have to be sacrificed."

persephone325

September 29th's word of the day was....

ensconce
verb in-SKAHNSS

Definition
1 : to place or hide securely : conceal

2 : to establish or settle firmly, comfortably, or snugly
I don't know.

Autumn52

She looked around slowly, scanning the area to make sure she was alone. After she was certain no one was within sight, she opened the small pouch that hung around her neck. The glow that the holy jewel emitted almost make her eyes water. Sarah squinted her eyes and ensconced the jewel within the holy mountain. After it was hidden she smiled and felt a sense of accomplishment. She had done something that other historians could only dream of doing. Sarah knew that no one would ever know of her accomplishments. The jewel had been returned to the gods and no one would ever be allowed to know of its being replaced by a young, idealistic historian named, Sarah Jones. 
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Shores

"We will ensconce the princess in a mansion on the edge of the haunted woods, so that no one will approach her."

"But wouldn't she be lonely?"

"Princesses don't get lonely. They can talk to animals."

corvusul86

It was only after the great Student Riots that the Provost felt compelled to act.  He hated having to do it, but if it kept the masses from burning any more school buildings then he would have to put up with it.  After so many weeks of upheaval, it was finally ensconced in university bylaw that classes could not start before eight in the morning.

persephone325

apropos
preposition ap-ruh-POH

Definition
: with regard to (something) : concerning
I don't know.

corvusul86

Important message: apropos comet

QuoteEMAIL QUOTE REMOVED FOR GROSS STUPIDITY

No, David, the comet isn't going to hit us.  I told you the same thing yesterday.  And the day before.  No, I don't care what Bill said.  It won't hit us.  Which of us is the astronomer, and which of us teaches liberal arts?

Second of all, I don't care what you've heard, no, there is no toxic chemical trailing from the end of the comet.  The tail is caused by the comet melting and being blown back by solar wind, and the comet is not composed of anything toxic.  At all.  Stop asking.

And no, I don't care what you read online, this doesn't answer any prophecies.

For the last time,
Dr. Mary Stuart,
Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics

Shores

"This is apropos the matter we discussed over dinner. Meet me behind the dumpster with a tarp and some bleach. Let's do this." She sent the message with trembling fingers.

Theta Sigma

censure
verb SEN-sher

Definition
1 : to find fault with and criticize as blameworthy

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

The black marble hall was strangely silent of echoes, no matter how many feet tromped through it to find their seats.  All of the figures, several score in all, representing members of all species, races, and genders common to the Undercity, soon found their seats.  The only one still standing, the Speaker, stood upon a dais as he called the meeting to order.

"Sit, sit," he intoned with a deep, basso voice.  "Sit, sit.  We have business of the Undercity.  Business most serious this day."

A murmur rose, only to be stopped when he raised his voice louder, booming like thunder.  "Silence!  We call to task one of our own, who has been found to be engaged in acts Most Foul."

"Who has done such things, and what acts?" a reedy voice shouted from the back of the room over the sudden din of whispers.

"Silence!" the Speaker boomed.  "Silence!  Lady Serrice, I accuse you of the Most Foul crime of Consorting with the People of the Overcity.  How do you answer these charges?"

One of the figures in the crowd stood, tossing back her hood and glaring around the room.  "I repudiate the crime, but agree that I have indeed been in contact with those who dwell in the city above our heads."

"If you admit the charge, then state your piece," the Speaker said.

"We are a dying people," Serrice said.  "Every year we are diminished, and in another generation we will lack the power to keep our people fed, our children clothed, our lights burning.  We need to establish ties with the world above once more if we are to survive."

"Our laws were created with cause," the Speaker growled.  "The more contact we have with those above, the more they taint our way of life.  We call upon this body to censure you for your arrogance."

Lady Serrice and the Speaker stared each other down, neither budging an inch as the group began to argue with each other, the sudden trial determining the fate of the Undercity.

Theta Sigma

farceur
noun fahr-SER

Definition
1 : joker, wag
2 : a writer or actor of farce or satire

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

The capering of the clowns, the dives of the acrobats, the mindless roars of the crowd all combined to bend and distort an already fragile reality.  The sky began to warp and twist, opening a great gulf between the stars above the big top.  Great gelatinous tendrils, dripping noisome fluids began to snatch the gaping, mind blown spectators, pulling them into the endless darkness above.

She tried to run, tried to escape despite barely being able to move.  As her head turned away from the certain death glaring down upon her, a farceur who had been working the crowd earlier crouched beside her, his long nosed face melting like wax as he leered cruelly.  "Leaving already?  But the show has just begun!"

Other performs gathered in a ring around her, pulling out knives and forks as the bleachers melted away, leaving her supine on the ground, staring past them once more into the maw of eternity.

Then the feast began.

Shores

The farceur wrote a thinly veiled critique of the current government. He thought he would be safe until the second of that ominous knock on his front door. It sounded with crippling authority in his dingy bedroom. Loud and rapturous, it was the starting gun of his ordeal.

Theta Sigma

Tuesday's word of the day was....

salubrious
adjective suh-LOO-bree-us

Definition
1 : favorable to or promoting health or well-being

agita
noun AJ-uh-tuh

Definition
1 : a feeling of agitation or anxiety

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

"What do you seek, stranger?" the masked figure asked.  Like all of the strange merchants of the Yellow City, he wore saffron robes, and a mask that covered his face.

Actually, Jaila wasn't certain the merchant was a 'he', or even anything at all human.  While the shape was certainly that of man, every bit of skin was carefully covered, and something about the way the body moved just wasn't quite right.  "I'm looking for a Golden Apple."

"Ah," the merchant hummed.  "A most rare thing... a most valuable thing.  Of all the fruits in all the world, none is so salubrious as the golden fruit of the sacred tree.  I do indeed have one such in my stock, but the price is... extensive."

Jaila sighed in relief.  "Name it."

Nothing in the universe compared to the agita caused by performing in the first galaxy-wide opera.  Some in the crowd had never heard human music before, while others could hear in ranges far beyond human comprehension, something that could cause the songs to fall dead and flat.  Still, with a stiff smile she opened her mouth and began to sing.

persephone325

She couldn't help the agita that overwhelmed her as the silence became deafening while she stared at the little stick for the result of the test.
I don't know.

Shores

Sleeping at least eight hours a day is a salubrious habit not many people follow. For him, sleeping ten hours was a minimum and Hell would open on anyone who demanded he sleep eight instead. Four hours made him non-functional.

Shores

Having won all her competitions until now, the agita that she now felt from losing her first ever bout threatened to affect her next fight.