Gundam, Zoids, Battletech, or an original Mecha Universe (Interest check linked)

Started by King Serperior, August 26, 2015, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Serperior

Apologies for another double-post, but I think I have found another person who may or may not be interested.  Hopefully, this second person and the first person I found will join in and max out our party to 6.   ;D

On a previous note, I have not been able to think up a good name.  :<

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Saria

I'm still procrastinating on the mech profile. :P I've got a bunch done for the thread, but I'm kinda stuck on that until we have a name.

I'll get on that profile! Like, right now!
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Saria

Oh, you were serious about liking it? :P I actually spend some time thinking up other 'M' words to go after "heavy metal", like "maneouvre", "masquerade", "mayhem", "maniacs", "moxie", and "maxim". Even "heavy metal marrow", because we're mech to the bone, bby. But if you like Magellan, I could roll with that.

Saria

Chassis:  Light modular core (a core that accepts attachments at 7 points: back, left and right shoulders, left and right arms, left and right legs)
Model:  LMC-42 "Valkyria" core, with 2 LC/L-6 legs and 2 LC/A-4 arms
Weight Class:  Light
Weight:  28 T (tare); 45 T (max gross)
Height:  8.5 m
Mech Name/Callsign:  —
Armaments (Standard Layout):  — (being a modular mech chassis, has no single "standard" layout)
Armaments (Non-Standard):
Fully automatic flechette gun: Removable, mounted on right forearm. Fires 6×45 mm fin-stabilized carbon steel darts (with polymer sabots) at a rate of 350 rounds per minute, with a 1000 round cartridge. This is a primarily anti-personnel and penetrating round used against the very light plating of non-armoured vehicles and some kinds of power armour. Unlike bullets, the flechettes are not designed to flatten out and stop inside a target (so they have little "stopping power"), they rip right through the target, and continue on through whatever is behind them. The result is while a single shot has less chance of killing than a bullet, but far more chance of penetrating through light cover and thin plating (like bullet-proof vests). It is totally ineffective against even light armouring.
Combination light shield / light pile bunker: Removable, mounted on left forearm. Uses compressed gas to drive a super-hard 15 mm diameter spike into a target. Several tonnes of force are focused on a very small point, which enables punching through light armour, and into the circuitry, mechanics, or people inside. By the power of the piston alone, it can penetrate light armour consistently and even medium armour under good conditions, but a skilled pilot can time the piston release at the apex of a punch to add several tonnes more force, and puncture even medium armour with ease, though care must be taken not to exceed the limits of the punching arm. (Deepika Patel is aware of this technique, but cannot use it consistently.) The pile and its compressor is covered by a large plate of medium armour that extends to the sides, and doubles as a shield. With the arm positioned correctly, the shield is large enough to cover the entire pilot profile, but not much else.
Subsystems (Standard and Nonstandard):
LC/EW-4 Electronic warfare package: Removable, attached to the core at the back and both shoulder mounts. Contains a suite of systems designed to make the mech a electronic warfare and countermeasures platform. Consists of:

• Radar: Active and passive phased-array radar systems. Effectively useless against ground targets due to interference from terrain and structures, but able to pinpoint airborne targets for hundreds of kilometres, if they're high enough and have a large enough radar cross section; can pick out a small surveillance drone at 50 km in good weather, ~20 km under average conditions. Active radar gives position away, but is necessary for radar target acquisition.
  • Lidar: Pulsed 1500 nm wavelength lasers are used for ground imaging, in combination with standard and infrared cameras. The system is able to image a centimetre in diameter half a kilometre away. Its primary purpose is to generate battlefield maps and targeting information, such as for artillery or orbital strikes, but it doubles as "night vision" and infrared or ultraviolet vision to allow the pilot (and any connected allies) to "see" through darkness or smoke. When not using the pulses for extra resolution, lidar is passive.
  • Chaff: Cartridges that are fired, usually upward, that burst at a preset height and throw out metallic confetti that confuses radar. There are two types of cartridges: one simply throws out chaff, the other bursts into a small balloon that dangles chaff. The chaff scattered by a regular air-burst cartridge floats slowly to the ground over the course of several minutes. The balloon stays airborne for an hour or more, provided it isn't shot down or blown away. Chaff blocks all radar - friend or enemy.
  • Full spectrum antenna and broadcast unit: Capable of resolving and emitting signals across the entire broadcast range. Useful for detecting the presence of enemy by their transmissions, but since the emitter is more powerful than the standard broadcast emitters in most equipment, can also be used to jam, drown out, or spoof enemy signals.
  • Integrated Battlefield Intelligence System (IBIS): All of the data collected from the detection systems is collected and put together to get one big picture of the battlefield. That data is then combined with all data collected from allied units, and then routed through the commander - who could be in an entirely different mech, or even kilometres away in a base camp, or in an aircraft - who marks targets, paints waypoints and routes, and gives targeting instructions. The upshot of all this is that when a mech with the IBIS package is on the field, the other mechs in her squad can get the majority of their target acquisition and tracking data from IBIS, so they can carry less optics, radar, and processing equipment, and instead carry more weapons, ammo, and armour. They are also able to coordinate better, and avoid all shooting at the same target (unless that's what is desired). IBIS transmissions are encrypted, so they can't be snooped or spoofed, and sent both using radio and light pulses - if radio transmissions are jammed, mechs can still share IBIS data among each other so long as there is a line of sight path. The system includes a "keyring" of encryption keys for important allied organizations, so that squads can connect to any allies they run into, share data, and cooperate better... but if those keys fell into the wrong hands, the enemy could spy on all battlefield communications in real time, and give false information that will be taken as "safe", and access networks and information with a wealth of highly valuable and highly dangerous information.
Jump jets: Non-removable (built in to the LMC-42 core and the LC/L-6 legs). Compressed air assistive jets mounted on the backs of the thighs, calves, and ass. The LC/L-6 legs provide a powerful push off the ground, which alone allow for a jump of almost 15 m, but when the jump jets kick in, they magnify the effect considerably. Unloaded, the mech can jump almost 70 m into the air. With the current loadout, ~50 m. The jets require 30 s to fully repressurize, but after 5 s can provide just enough thrust to cushion the landing from a full jump. Bursts from the jump jets can also be used for quick "dodges" to the side - a standard tactic is to step out from cover, fire, and when return fire is incoming, jet-burst back into cover. The trick is to pull that off without unbalancing and toppling over gracelessly.
Adaptive camouflage: Removable. Any place it can be managed, the mech is covered with 10 cm diameter hexagonal flexible "stickers", that wirelessly communicate with each other, and with the mech's main computer. They are dull grey by default, but can change colour on command to any hue. Generally the mech's main computer will use the optical sensors to "see" the environment, then try to create a pattern of random colours that the "stickers" can display that will make the mech very hard to see in that environment. If the mech remains stationary, and the environment is chaotic enough, it can hard to spot by both human eyes an machine vision (due to the semi-regular hexagonal pattern) even from less than 50 m away. The colours do not change instantaneously - it takes a second or two - so the camouflage is useless in motion. The colours are also somewhat limited to dull, dark colours - they cannot produce pure white or pure black. The "stickers" provide no help with armouring, and if damaged become useless (but can be trivially peeled off and replaced).
Strengths:
Highly mobile and manoeuvrable: Very fast, and able to quickly change correction, and move within just about any terrain type - even city streets and civilian vehicle bridges. Hard for slow tracking turrets to target, and able to effectively fight from cover because the mech can quickly dart in and out of it.
Stealth: Though the mech could hardly be considered a true "stealth" machine because it is not truly invisible to visual, radar, or anything, its adaptive camouflage and ECM package make it extremely hard to pinpoint and target. Under the right conditions - in a chaotic enough environment or from far enough away - it can be effectively invisible.
Hands: The hands on the LC/A-4 allow the mech to operate a wide range of equipment, without requiring any modification to the mech. It can pick up and use clubs, blades, rifles, shotguns, RPG launchers, and a variety of non-weapon tools. More importantly, it can reload hand-held weapons, implying a functionally infinite ammo supply in combat (assuming you have a functionally infinite ammo supply available).
Modular design: The mech itself is really just the torso and head. The arms, legs, backpack, and shoulder weapons are separate, and anything that fits the same standard connection points could be substituted. There are a variety of parts available, such as heavier legs without jump jets that provide better stability when firing heavier weapons, or arms that don't have hands but rather integrated machine guns or beam weapons instead. It also means the mech is usually trivial to repair, if you have spares: just pop the broken limb off and snap a new one on (not to imply this could be done by hand - you need a crane to lift mech limbs - but it can be done even on the battlefield with a "medic" mech / combat engineer).
Weaknesses:
Open field combat: While the mech excels in combat in areas where it can duck behind cover, in open spaces it's basically an 8 m tall clay pigeon to enemy mechs, and it doesn't have the armouring to take much of a pounding.
Light armour: Can take hits from most standard mech weaponry, but only from range. Utterly useless in close-up combat, and against heavy or high-powered armour piercing ordinance.
Light weaponry: Starts out effectively unarmed, but even after acquiring a full load-out, still wouldn't be much of a threat to anything but other light mechs, unless Deepika is willing to give up the EW/ECM equipment.
Not sealed: The mech can operate completely submerged... but only for a few minutes before the pilot drowns. The cockpit isn't sealed, so the pilot is vulnerable to chemical or biological weapons - which includes water deeper than ~7 m. There is a face mask in the cockpit connected to small air tank, but only ~30 min worth.
No soloing: With its EW/ECM load-out, this mech can't even handle a fair fight with equivalently-classed mechs - it would only be a threat to foot soldiers and battle armour, and even the latter would be a challenge. It is supposed to be a part of a team, providing only light attack power on its own, but vastly multiplying the combat effectiveness of the dedicated combat mechs it is linked with. Without the team, it's almost entirely ineffective.
Overall Description:  The LMC-42 "Valkyria" comes to a little over 8 m tall, with LC/L-6 legs, and with LC/A-4 arms has a mostly humanoid appearance, albeit with a bit of a sunken head. The pilot sits/stands in the upper torso - the "head" lifts up and tilts back and the front plate folds down to allow the pilot to enter; a Christmas tree ladder extends down from the front plate to allow the pilot to climb the 6 m to the cockpit. When the pilot leaves the cockpit, she takes a "key" with her - which is either a small tab that fits on a keyring like a conventional garage door opener and is only used to open/close the mech, or a small tablet/remote that can allow the pilot limited operation of the mech from outside (which is mostly used to facilitate maintenance). The battery is in the crotch - panels open to allow recharging cables.

Ralhend

I like how you used the term "ass" as a jumpjet installation hardpoint *laughs*
A more detailed layout of my staring mecha, character, and RADU are in the works.
Post Rate: (Lethargic)
Request Thread/ Ons and Offs /A/A Thread
Active Stories on E: (Extremely Selective) 3/3 Discussions/Caged Bird/Maiden Voyage/Shattered Mirror/
Other Games E : (Taken) 1/1 /Chessgame 1, Mimétisme vs Ralhend/

King Serperior

Loving the mech, Saria!  Heh, I can hardly think of two mechs more opposite in Deepka's and the Ragnarok.  Hopefully, they'll manage to work their strengths and weaknesses out to compensate.  :P

@Ralhend:  Can't wait to see how the character and mech work out.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Chassis:  Humanoid Exoskeleton
Model:  Extremely modified Hostile Environment Suit
Weight Class:  Featherweight
Weight:  <½ ton (empty) 1 ton (Standard loadout, fully loaded); 10 tons (Maximum carry weight)
Height: 2.4 meters (8 feet)
Top Speed:  112kph (70mph)
Mech Name: Human Amplification Suit (HAS), nicknamed Arion
Armaments: HAS uses human weaponry, albeit with extreme accuracy and no recoil. Athena has also created several modular armaments for it including shoulder-mounted missile pods, short-range artillery, an anti-personnel cannon, and leg-mounted RPGs. All of these use standard ammunition but custom equipment.
Boosters:  At several points on the suit, repulsors are installed to aid with evading, jumping, and hard landing.
HUD:  The HAS, being at its core a hostile environment suit, utilizes a highly advanced area scanning overlay that is able to report an incredible amount of detail. The HUD is projected onto the visor and as such, if damaged, will not obscure vision. Features include target tracking, aim assist, topology, infrared, and a suite of other options.
Performance Enhancement:  Life support systems gauge the user’s physical state and administer medicine and other chemicals based on context or user request. If the HUD system is active, the two systems work together to optimize each situation.
Phoebe:  Behind the HUD and PE systems is Phoebe, a nexus for all of the HAS’ systems and sensors. While not an AI by any traditional definition, Phoebe’s assessments and suggestions can give that illusion. As long as the suit has power, Phoebe can also control the HAS if so directed.
Failsafe Design:  If any or all of the HAS systems fail, the suit is still capable of functioning, if at a significant handicap. An average human would still be able to walk in the suit at about 5MPH without power. Each part of the suit can either be retracted or ejected in an emergency.

Strengths: 
Agility:  Bipedal design gives the HAS a maneuverability and unpredictability of movement that cannot be matched by “vehicle” type mechs. Its capacity for sudden changes of direction, bursts of speed, acrobatics, and its very small size make it very difficult for standard mech targeting systems to get a solid lock. The immense relative strength of the HAS allows it to leverage its agility in the form of jumping and climbing.
Natural movement:  There is no guesswork involved in controlling the HAS. As a force amplifier, each movement is directly translated, so that the basic tenets of its use can be understood in mere minutes. It is carefully balanced so that once the user has become accustomed to the suit, they can utilize it almost as if the suit has become part of them.
Stealth: Its small size and simple mechanisms make the suit hard to spot or hear due to the sensor standards of most large mecha.
Dynamism:  The size and humanoid nature of the HAS makes it widely applicable to any situation.

Weaknesses: 
Firepower:  While the HAS can handle large scale human weapons with ease, and has weapons platforms that only it can use, they are all generally small caliber in comparison to standard mechs. It will never win in a direct firefight and will have to rely on pinpoint strikes and, in many cases, melee combat in order to disable its opponents. The best option is to never directly engage at all.
Armor:  The HAS possesses one of the greatest strength-to-size ratios of any mech, but it is still small, and so has very light armor. Large scale weapons meant for full size mechs will get through its armor quickly. Fortunately, nearly all weapons that could get through with one hit are slow enough to avoid.
Repairs:  Athena has personally fabricated a large amount of custom parts for her HAS. While she can readily fabricate more, this takes time, and only in rare cases will the HAS be easily repairable with found parts.

Overall Description:  Arion is a powered exoskeleton the size of a very large human. It opens up from the back to allow the user to enter, and can adjust itself to fit a wide variety of body types. It is very fast but lightly armored. The forearms are reinforced to absorb blasts and hide climbing aid apparatus, while the shins and ankles are likewise reinforced and can open up into claws for grip. The suit uses very little power for the most part, which allows it to run on batteries instead of a reactor; a necessity for its small size. This does mean, however, that use of its boosters must be carefully calculated as they are very energy intensive.

That's part one of two - I still need to write up the combat exoskeleton.

King Serperior

Very nice!  Looking at the outer shell, it seems that the shoulder-mounted rockets are of a larger power of the leg-mounted ones.  So, Missile-wise, it seems to have 4x on the shoulders (two per shoulder) and 12x on the legs (three per leg and three on each hip).  Looks to be quite the deadly weapon against personnel and Light mechs while still giving larger ones trouble.

I like it!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Thanks! I don't know if it will come up, but it's meant to be capable of aquatic use (but would need some kind of extra power source to stay maneuverable at depth) and EVA.

King Serperior

Who knows?  It may come up.  The Ragnarok, due to it being completely sealed, can operate underwater.  The thing is, I doubt there would be a time where the water gets deep enough to submerge it!  However, the fact that your mech is aquatic means that it's usefulness is many times greater. 

By the way, do you think you could possibly give some more detail towards the armaments?  As in things like ammo count or specifics?  It's easy to tell how many missiles are in the shoulders by looking, but the artillery and autocannon is easy to figure out.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Yeah, I'll work on that after getting the big boy done.

Ralhend

Chassis:  Medium Modular Core, class-65(a core that accepts attachments at 9 points: back, left and right shoulders, left and right chest bays, left and right arms, left and right legs)
Model:  MMC-65 "" core, with 2 MC/B-8 legs and 2 MC/C-6 arms
Weight Class:  Medium
Weight: 34 T (Dry); 65 T (Fully Loaded)
Height:  11.2 m
Mech Name/Callsign: — Ares
Armaments (Standard Layout):  — (being a modular mech chassis, has no single "standard" layout)

Reinforced Arms and Legs (Standard):  This chassis was designed with the possibility of hand-to-hand combat in mind.  The hands and feet, wrists and ankles, elbows and knees, hips and shoulders have all been reinforced to withstand the stresses of mecha scale combat.  With the right training, a pilot could be quite deadly even when all of his ammo is spent.

Monofilament Edged Combat Knife (Standard):  The MMC-65 comes with a 2.5 meter long mecha sized knife, edged with titanium monofilament wire.  In hand to hand situations, this allows the pilot a better chance of penetrating thick armor and striking a vital system or the enemy pilot.

Ares Model 7 Quad-Medium Laser Rifle (Non-Standard): This was the closest weapon available, and all Joseph was able to grab during his escape.  Its a mech sized medium range battle rifle, consisting of a cluster of 4 medium lasers chained together in a box configuration.  This weapon can fire from a detachable box power cell (Containing enough power for 30 shots) or it can draw power form the mech’s reactor core, allowing it to fire indefinitely. The only real disadvantage this weapon has is it’s limited range and its tendency to overheat if misused.

GN/GPG/-72 Fire control System: Removable. This is a standard issue, low cost FCS made to be mass produced for rank and file soldiers. Consists of:
•   Radar: Active and passive phased-array radar systems. Able to pinpoint airborne targets for roughly 100 km, if they're high enough and have a large enough silhouette.  This system can pick out a small target (5m across) at 20 km in good weather, ~5 km under average conditions. Active radar gives position away, but is necessary for target acquisition.
•   Infrared and Low Light Amplification: These are standard issue optics that allows the pilot to have fair visibility in low light / Fog / Smoke filled conditions.
•   Mecha Communications Suite: A standard issue communications hardware package allowing the mech to coordinate with the rest of his mecha infantry unit.
•   RADU-2 (Reclaimed Automatic Diagnostic Unit)(Removeable) This is Joseph’s Jury-Rigged Mark 2(6) AI.  The system itself is made to tap directly into the mech’s computers for purposes of running diagnostics.  In his haste to escape his damaged cargo container, Joseph used this AI to bypass the chassis anti theft systems.  When not connected to an outside power source, RADU is able to operate off of its interal battery for about 10 hours.  The system is housed in a standard interface computer frame, about the size and shape of a standard 5-gallon bucket.  It weighs 20lbs

Jump jets: Non-removable (built in to the MMC-65 core and the MC/B-8 legs). These are compressed air thrusters made to give the mech somewhat better mobility in rough terrain, and to slow a parachute descent after a halo-drop.  The system requires a full minute to recharge after being used.  A fully charged unit is able to propel the chassis a distance of 50 meters, straight up or across.

Strengths:
Highly Adaptable: This chassis was made with the intention of creating a machine that useful in almost any situation.  Its mix of fair speed, good armor, and generous hardpoints allow this mech to make use of any heavy (or lighter) standard mech weaponry pods.  If a faster mech is needed, the armor and weapons could be stripped, and the mech issued a long range sniper type weapon.  If close range combat is to be expected, the weapons and armor could be issued to reflect this.
Sealed Cockpit:  This chassis was made with keeping the pilot alive as long as possible under extreme conditions.  The MMC-65 is rated to operate completely submerged up to a depth of 200 meters.  Its possible it could go deeper, but the pilot runs the risk of damage to the mecha. 
Hands:(Borrowed from Deepka's mech) The hands on the MC/C-6 allow the mech to operate a wide range of equipment, without requiring any modification to the mech. It can pick up and use clubs, blades, rifles, shotguns, RPG launchers, and a variety of non-weapon tools. More importantly, it can reload hand-held weapons, implying a functionally infinite ammo supply in combat (assuming you have a functionally infinite ammo supply available).
AI system: RADU-2 is a high performance, (if unstable) AI that assists the pilot in battlefield situations. RADU is linked directly to the mech’s computers and sensors, and is capable of giving the pilot updates of the situation around the mech, as well as making suggestions of what actions to take. RADU has a limited ability to pilot the mecha, but is locked out of firing the weapons systems.
Modular design / Ease of repair: This chassis was made with heavy use and constant repair in mind.  Being a mass produced mech, replacement parts are fairly common, and the chassis itself is spacious and roomy, allowing properly equipped technicians to make field repairs quite easily, usually able to complete their work in about half the time it took them to repair the earlier MMC-50s. 

Weaknesses:
Inexperienced pilot: Joseph Hendrial is a technician, not a pilot. While he is familiar with how to operate a mech, he has no mecha combat experience outside of the simulators and video games. Unlike the sit down arcade cabinets, the mech moves and heaves as he pilots it, and he finds this somewhat disorienting...
Limited communications system: The stock comms system on an MMC-65 is designed with only the basics in mind, as it was made to be a small part of a larger mech force, coordinating and networking with the units designated comm-Officer, who’s mech is usually equipped with a more advanced system.
Patchwork AI (RADU): RADU-2 is a daisy-chained combination of obsolete components and spare parts.  While able to perform better than the late model mark-6 AIs, RADU can be somewhat tempermental, and sometimes the parts have synch issues.  There is a cumulative 1d10-5x1% chance for every hour he continuously operates that he malfunctions (The results of which are determined by a random table that’s currently in the works)  The only way to prevent this is to put the system into a synchronization cycle periodically, which takes about one minute for every 1% that was accumulated. (IE if he accumulated a 34% error rate, he we need a 34 minute synch phase to find all of the bugs in the system.)  The mech is inoperable during this time, since RADU is required to bypass the mech's anti-theft systems.
No secondary weapons installed:  This particular mech was prepped for transport only, and did not have any of its hard points fitted with any weapon pods.
Jack of all Trades, Master of none: While this is a good mech for most situations, its not a great one. Light mechs are faster and more maneuverable, while heavier mechs have more armor and carry better weapons.

Overall Description:  The MMC-65 "Ares" is a bipedal war machine, made to be commonly and cheaply mass produced to bolster mech infantry forces.   It’s a little over 11 meters Tall, with a squat appearance.  The main reactor is housed in the abdomen just under the cockpit.  The powerplant is an “off the shelf” Nissan 227 production type, with ports for recharging external batteries of vehicles and other light mecha.  The pilot accesses the cockpit from a cable with a foot loop, which lifts him up from the ground.
Active Stories on E: (Extremely Selective) 3/3 Discussions/Caged Bird/Maiden Voyage/Shattered Mirror/

King Serperior

Looks good to me, Ralhend!  I have to say, that's a pretty intimidating-looking mech!

Also, I found what I was missing in the Ragnarok:
Quote from: Ralhend on September 07, 2015, 06:15:26 PM
The pilot accesses the cockpit from a cable with a foot loop, which lifts him up from the ground.

So, what we have so far is:  A nearly weaponless mech that is suitable only for electronic warfare piloted by someone who would rather just get out on her own than be in a group, an highly experimental power armor piloted by a near anti-social woman, a well-rounded, adaptable mech piloted by a guy who, honestly, shouldn't really be in the cockpit of a mech, and a massively armored and heavily armed titan of a mech piloted by a cocky mech fighter from the arena.

Looks like we've got some problems ahead for the group!   XD

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

Quote from: King Serperior on September 07, 2015, 11:23:55 PM
Looks good to me, Ralhend!  I have to say, that's a pretty intimidating-looking mech!

Also, I found what I was missing in the Ragnarok:

So, what we have so far is:  A nearly weaponless mech that is suitable only for electronic warfare piloted by someone who would rather just get out on her own than be in a group, an highly experimental power armor piloted by a near anti-social woman, a well-rounded, adaptable mech piloted by a guy who, honestly, shouldn't really be in the cockpit of a mech, and a massively armored and heavily armed titan of a mech piloted by a cocky mech fighter from the arena.

Looks like we've got some problems ahead for the group!   XD

Oh you have no idea.  But whats life without a few problems to make things interesting?

Here is my proposal to handle RADU, submitted for your consideration (This will give me an excuse to use the dicebot =D)

RADU-2

The "Reclaimed Automated Diagnostic Unit Mark-2"  Is a type 2 Mil-Spec AI computer core that was made fifteen years prior to the current storyline.  It was recovered and rebuilt by Joseph Hendrial, a civilian Mecha-Electronics Technician working for {Insert name of our allies military force here, we need to discuss this later}

Joseph decided that he could use a new diagnostic unit for running repair routines and automatic test programs.  Due to budgent contraints, the military denied his request.  Frustrated, he pieced together RADU-2 
Using salvaged parts from other heavilly damaged Mark 2, 3, 4, and 5 systems in his spare time...   A memory buffer here, a closed nitrogen cooling system there, and then re writing the code and memory values to hopefully make everything work correctly...

Once the system was brought online it performed almost perfectly.  Diagnostic routines and repair efficiencies in the repair shop were up almost 50%...  The system could also play a seriously mean game of chess...

The finished product is housed in a 5 gallon wire mesh bucket, and is roughly 3 times the size of a newer Mark-6 Artificial Intelligence unit...   It also runs 25% faster, but at a price.

The cobbled together nature of the system is its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.  Despite many fixes to the software and hardware, the components will sometimes run into synchronization problems which can cause RADU to malfunction from time to time.  The longer RADU operates, the more the synchronization issues compound and increase the likely-hood of a glitch.   

For every hour that the system operates, there is a chance that a synchronization issue will occur.  Roll one ten sided die, and subtract 5 from the result.  If the end number is less than 0, no synchronization issues happen, and the system works fine.  If the number is greater than zero, add this to RADU's percentage pool.

There is a way to resolve the issue.  The system has to reset itself with a diagnostic routine that requires at least one minute of cycle time for each percentage point accumulated.  Every hour that RADU is operating however, and has percentage points in its pool, roll percentile to see if a malfunction occurs.

For example:  Radu and Joseph are out assisting Deep/Thumper on a salvage run, and RADU has been operating for 5 hours straight.   1d10 is rolled 5 times:

Roll 1 : 4                  no points in the pool, no glitch event possible yet
Roll 2 : 6 (add 1)     72 is rolled against 1%, no glitch event
Roll 3 : 7 (add 2)     65 is rolled against 3%, no glitch event
Roll 4 : 3                  81 is rolled against 3%, no glitch event
Roll 5 : 9 (add 4)       5 is rolled against 7%, See below

This equates to a 7% chance that RADU experiences a glitch.  A d100 is rolled.  If a 01-07 is rolled, RADU has something happen.  If 08-100 is rolled, the system works fine.

For purposes of this example, lets say the player rolls a 5.  He would then roll percentile again on the following table: (I'm open to modding this table btw if you guys have any ideas for an interesting glitch event)

01-35%  Language processor glitch. RADU begins slurring his words.  One word out of every 5 he says will be pronounced backwards for 1d10+(X%) minutes
36-45%  Radar Ghosts appear, when there is actually nothing there. RADU however will insist that a hostile is nearby for 1d8+(X%)minutes
46-55%  HUD malfunction.  HUD begins to flicker, making targeting and ranging difficult for 1d6+(X%) minutes
56-65%  Language software recognition glitch.  RADU begins speaking gibberish and cannot be understood at all.  He likewise cannot understand pilot commands for 1d4+(X%) minutes
66-75%  Hydraulics regulation malfunction.  Mech's speed is reduced by half for 1d4+(X%) minutes
76-80%  Weapon system lockout.  One weapon system goes offline, and cannot be used for 1d10 minutes
81-90%  Engine overcharge event.  Mech speed is doubled for 1d10+(X%) minutes, afterward speed is reduced to 25% until diagnostics are run
91-94%  Jumpjets fire for no reason, launching the mecha in a random direction.
95-97%   FCS error.  All weapons are unusable for 1d4(+X%) minutes until the system restarts.
98-99%   Minor Hardware Error.  Mech powerplant regulation hardware goes out of phase, Initiating a synch routine. Re-boot in (X%) minutes
100%       Fatal Hardware crash.  A critical component experiences a power surge, and the part is effectively slagged.  Mech shuts completely down until the part is replaced.

A 45 is rolled, meaning RADU sees an enemy mech right in front of the Ares, yet it can be plainly seen that nothing is there...  The table says this malfunction persists for 1d8+(7) minutes.  a 3 is rolled, and 7 is added to it for a total of ten minutes of having to listen to RADU moan and groan about the "hostile" thats right behind us...

IE Its generally good practice to let him run his Synch Routine as often as possible.  A few minutes here and there shouldnt hurt us too bad.

King Serperior

Quote from: Ralhend on September 07, 2015, 11:55:16 PM
Oh you have no idea.  But whats life without a few problems to make things interesting?
Oh, very true!   :D
01-35%  Language processor glitch. RADU begins slurring his words.  One word out of every 5 he says will be pronounced backwards for 1d10+(X%) minutes
36-45%  Radar Ghosts appear, when there is actually nothing there. RADU however will insist that a hostile is nearby for 1d8+(X%)minutes
46-55%  HUD malfunction.  HUD begins to flicker, making targeting and ranging difficult for 1d6+(X%) minutes
56-65%  Language software recognition glitch.  RADU begins speaking gibberish and cannot be understood at all.  He likewise cannot understand pilot commands for 1d4+(X%) minutes
66-75%  Hydraulics regulation malfunction.  Mech's speed is reduced by half for 1d4+(X%) minutes
76-80%  Weapon system lockout.  One weapon system goes offline, and cannot be used for 1d10 minutes
81-90%  Engine overcharge event.  Mech speed is doubled for 1d10+(X%) minutes, afterward speed is reduced to 25% until diagnostics are run
91-94%  Jumpjets fire for no reason, launching the mecha in a random direction.
95-97%   FCS error.  All weapons are unusable for 1d4(+X%) minutes until the system restarts.
98-99%   Minor Hardware Error.  Mech powerplant regulation hardware goes out of phase, Initiating a synch routine. Re-boot in (X%) minutes
100%       Fatal Hardware crash.  A critical component experiences a power surge, and the part is effectively slagged.  Mech shuts completely down until the part is replaced.
Everything looks good and I like the error chance, however what I just put in bold doesn't quite sit right in my mind.  Perhaps change it to something like 'Energy-based weaponry has power doubled (with the increased overheating chance, obviously) for 1d10+(X%) minutes (same time as the original);  Afterward, all weapon systems and all subsystems shut down (though the communications equipment remains operational, but only just) until diagnostics are run.'  How does that sound?

Of course, changes would have to be made to the FCS Error event since that is so similar, though one shuts down immediately and the other gives a brief power boost before shutting down.

That said, can these Error Events stack?  As in, could the system start seeing 'Ghost Enemies' and 'Random Jumpjets Firing' happen at the same time?  I would imagine so, plus, it could make battlefield situations more interesting since there are likely to be times where shutting everything down for him to run a test and memory purge will be few and far between.

IE Its generally good practice to let him run his Synch Routine as often as possible.  A few minutes here and there shouldnt hurt us too bad.
[/quote]

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

The idea is that the engine governor is momentarily taken offline, making the reactor run wide open for a few minutes.  This gives a momentary boost to movement, but also makes aiming harder since the mechs movements are jerky and quick.  Things overheat and burn out, and after a few minutes the mechs engines are damaged, reducing thier power output to one quarter until repairs are made...

Since we are using fusion engines (hot fusion im assuming ) it makes me think of a toroidal loop of plasma contained in magnetic fields.  Maybie excess matter is put into the loop chamber and a runaway reaction occours.  I know fusion engines are scientifically incapable of exploding, just that the plasma loop decays and shuts down...   But that didnt stop battletech from making them go critical when they are destroyed for funs sake.   Are we going realistic with the technology or will these things be able to explode ?

King Serperior

Quote from: Ralhend on September 08, 2015, 01:56:05 PM
The idea is that the engine governor is momentarily taken offline, making the reactor run wide open for a few minutes.  This gives a momentary boost to movement, but also makes aiming harder since the mechs movements are jerky and quick.  Things overheat and burn out, and after a few minutes the mechs engines are damaged, reducing thier power output to one quarter until repairs are made...
Alright, quick, jerky motions that greatly throws off the mech's aim.  I will say that if a mech overcharges like that, there should be a risk of damaging the mech's joints which cam further limit movement since they weren't designed for the jerky, quick movements.
Since we are using fusion engines (hot fusion im assuming ) it makes me think of a toroidal loop of plasma contained in magnetic fields.  Maybie excess matter is put into the loop chamber and a runaway reaction occours.  I know fusion engines are scientifically incapable of exploding, just that the plasma loop decays and shuts down...   But that didnt stop battletech from making them go critical when they are destroyed for funs sake.   Are we going realistic with the technology or will these things be able to explode ?
I'd rather explosions of mecha because of engine damage to me minimum.  Unless multiple failsafes fail at the same time or the pilot manually overides them, the fusion cores should remain stabilized.  Explosions are more likely to happen should a mech's explosive ammo be breached, but even then, there should be failsafes to prevent everything going up in an explosive ball of flame.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

Well, that particular mech was designed with hand to hand combat in mind asa a possibility, and all of the joints have been reinforced.  On a different chassis sure, but there would be no risk to damaging the joints in this case.   Think of playing an FPS game with the mouse sensitivity set higher than what you are used to, thats all.

King Serperior

Alright, that's understandable.  Sorry for picking things apart!

Anywho, I think all that's needed is the outer shell of Athena's Battle Armor done and Joseph's pilot CS.  Then, we'll have everything.  Other than that, I am still hoping that the two interested parties that have spoken with me will post here.  If not, the four of us will certainly do.  *nod*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

Im still trying to find a good picture to post, and im having issues...  I understand you guys post real photos, I have trouble with such things, will an illustration / anime drawing be acceptable ?  (I associate mecha with anime anyways )

I had both styles in the original sheet, but I found a pic I liked enough to use just the real one.

King Serperior

Quote from: Ralhend on September 09, 2015, 02:18:36 PM
Im still trying to find a good picture to post, and im having issues...  I understand you guys post real photos, I have trouble with such things, will an illustration / anime drawing be acceptable ?  (I associate mecha with anime anyways )
If you can't find a suitable real image, then you'll have to put some extra effort in writing up his physical description.  When I do mecha games, unless it is a Gundam or Zoids universe, I prefer real images for characters.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

I usually go with illustrations, but the original game was Pacific Rim and real people were more thematically appropriate. I ended up associating Catherine Bell with her more than the Metal Gear Acid chick.