Interest Check - Night Witches

Started by evilnerf, August 28, 2017, 08:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilnerf

I'm curious to see if there's any interest in playing this game if I run it.  Night Witches as a powered by the Apocolypse game about the all female Soviet 588th night bomber regiment. 

All players would be pilots in the regiment, and the game would deal with patriotism, sexism, and the burden of command.  And since this is an adult roleplaying chat, probably more than a little wartime sex thrown in. 

Post here if this interests you, and maybe we'll see about making a game.

Ron Don Volante

Holy shit what an awesome and unique idea! Would this be set during WW II? (At work so i can't do proper research rn...)
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

RedPhoenix

This is one of my favorite systems that I've never had a chance to play. Definitely in. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

evilnerf

Quote from: Ron Don Volante on August 28, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
Holy shit what an awesome and unique idea! Would this be set during WW II? (At work so i can't do proper research rn...)

Yep! They flew outdated airplanes across enemy lines to harass and destroy targets.

Ron Don Volante

I'm not 100% sure they had non Russians in the unit but if they did, I've always been dying for an excuse to use this model from Kazakhstan in a Soviet scenario:

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

evilnerf

Kazakhstan would be fine.  Anywhere in the Soviet Union, really, but especially Russia and Ukraine.

Okay guys, here is what I am thinking:
Every week, beginning on Monday, a new Day or night begins.

Every Day period is for rest, relaxation, and preperation.  This period is going to be mostly player driven, although the GM will be able to throw wrenches into the work to keep things interesting.  If you don't post at all in the week, you are assumed to have spent the whole day sleeping.  Once per week, you can do a "move" such as "Eyeball", "Repair", "Reach out", "Act Up".  You roll 2d6 and tell me what you want, like making someone do something you want, stealing parts for your aircraft, improving your relationship with other characters.

The next week is the "Night" period.  Two people are choosn as the Navigator, and Pilot, and make rolls to see how successful they are.  Other players are "Wing Women" who can take a consequence from the lead plane.

I know this is against the norm of these usual games as there is a defacto time limit imposed, but I think this will keep the game lively, and also fits the setting where you don't necessarily have  all the time in the world.

If I can get at least 3 people who are interested.  I'll post the character creation stuff and we'll play. I recommend picking up the PDF.  It's pretty cheap and really good.

RedPhoenix

I second picking up the PDF. It's lots of fun.

Were we going to use the character creation stuff in the base game? Going for one of each role? :D

evilnerf

Yes, although I expect Turnover to be pretty regular so I am not gonna complain too much if there is doubling up of roles.

Ron Don Volante

evilnerf

Well.  We've got 3 including me.  This system makes it clear that the GM is expected to make a character, so we can probably still play with just the 3 of us.  You two cool with that if no one else shows any interest?  Really, my main concern is that if two characters enter some kind of relationship, the third will get left out.  Do you guys see that as a problem, or would you rather just start and see where things go? 

RedPhoenix

I really like the five (I think, maybe six, don't have it with me) person setup the books have with the different role and stuff. I would rather wait and see if we can get a full team. :)

Ron Don Volante

I'm perfectly fine either way. Work is kicking my ass this week so I haven't got a chance to read the rules yet. >.<

evilnerf

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 29, 2017, 07:57:55 PM
I really like the five (I think, maybe six, don't have it with me) person setup the books have with the different role and stuff. I would rather wait and see if we can get a full team. :)

Well, there are five roles, but nothing about the game inherently requires all roles to be filled.  I'm skeptical that we will see more, but I hope I'm wrong.  After all, I was pretty surprised anyone was interested as all.

And Ron Don, you don't really need to read the whole rulebook.  You really just need the Playbook for your character, and the List of Moves to know what you can do.  That's it really.  The rest is GM stuff and fluff that will certainly help you make your character, but you don't really have to memorize. 

Ron Don Volante

Reading through this makes me even more psyched!  XD

evilnerf

Well, I don't see why we can't go posting characters.

Junior Lieutenant Yelena Morozov -  Pigeon
Role
PROTECTOR: You can REPAIR well. When you change Duty Stations, Advance if you saved someone’s life.
Moves
(none)

Stats
Skills +1
Guts +0
Luck -1
Medals+0

Sex: Female
Uniform: Trim
Body: Masuline
Hands: Precise
Home Town: Livny
Why you write to back home: Ailing father.

Yelena is from a small town in Russia. When the facists invaded, she was reluctant to enlist due to the fact that she had to take care of her father, who had lost both of his legs in the first war.  She was finally talked into it by him when he pointed out that everyone was needed to fight no matter what.  She left him in the care of a neighbor, and enlisted.  This is her second duty station, and has a maternal attitude towards those who serve with her, but she has yet to experience the loss of anyone.

RedPhoenix

Using same format, hope this is done right...

Although according to the rules I have we start with no moves. Are we changing that?

Sergeant Marina Chernova -  Raven

Role
ZEALOT: You can help the Section during Debrief by criticizing a fellow airwoman. When you change Duty Stations, advance if you pointed the NKVD in another airwoman's direction.

Moves
(None)

Stats
Skills +2
Guts -1
Luck +1
Medals +0

Uniform: Rakish
Body: Sensual
Face: Handsome
Home Town: Moscow
Who you write to back home: No one

Marina is an orphan from Moscow who grew up hard on the streets but managed to come out pretty and confident. She is not above stabbing her friends in the back and using anything at her disposal to advance. She professes a belief in the cause of the revolution, but is mostly interested in using it as a means of advancing herself. She is an excellent pilot and does not shirk her duties, although she is rarely the first to volunteer either.

evilnerf

Whoops. Sorry I made an assumption based on other PbtA games I have played. I will edit it when I get home.

Ron Don Volante

Realistically I won't be able to put up my CS until Saturday morning my time.

evilnerf

No hurry. I would like to start Saturday though (Day period).  Character creation is a breeze.

AmandaWho

I'm very interested in this game. When I saw "Night Witches" it caught my attention, as I have an interest in them historically. I honestly never thought to play this as a genre, but now that you lay it out it makes perfect sense.

If you are still accepting new players, I would like to join.

evilnerf

Of course! Glad to have you.  You can make a character using the materials I linked to a couple posts ago. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Ron Don Volante

Yes! Managed to put it together before Boardgame Night! :D

Junior Lieutenant Valentina Qunanbaiuly -  Sparrow

Role
Dreamer: You can weather an INFORMAL INTERVIEW well. When you change Duty Stations, Advance if you shared a premonition and it came true.

Moves
(None)

Stats
Skills +0
Guts +1
Luck -1
Medals +0

Uniform: Regulation
Body: Graceful
Face: Pretty
Home Town: Almaty, Kazakh SSR
Who you write to back home: Fiance

Valentina was born in a beautiful and mostly self sufficient area of Kazakhstan enjoying life in a prosperous, if remote, village outside the capital. Engaged to the son of the local magistrate, Valentina had a great life ahead of her before The Great Patriotic War began in earnest. Like many of the men of the village of fighting age, Valentina’s fiance found himself shipped off to fight against the fascists near Moscow. Refusing to stay still, despite insistences from her parents, Valentina volunteers for service as an officer in the Women’s Corps and finds herself trained as a pilot of WW I era craft as part of The Night Witches.

AmandaWho

Okay, here's my character:

Junior Lieutenant Elena Sheremetova - OWL

Role
MISINTHROPE: You can SCROUNGE well. When you change Duty Stations, Advance if you bucked against the patriarchy and got in trouble for it.
Moves
(none)

Stats
Skills -1
Guts +1
Luck +0
Medals +0

Uniform: Dirty
Body: Small
Face: Serious
Home Town: Novgorod
Who You Write To Back Home: No one

Elena is the daughter of a poor factory worker who saw both of her brothers enlist, march off to war, and learn that they died in combat. Shortly after receiving this news, her mother committed suicide and her father descended into an alcoholic mess. Deeply enraged by how the war has ruined her family, Elena enlisted with the sole goal of killing as many Germans as she can. Elena is only barely educated, is a small young woman, and has anger issues. When among friends she trusts she lightens up considerably, but this is usually helped by drinking lots of vodka.

evilnerf

Awesome, I love this group.  I don't know if we will get more players so how about I go ahead and post the introduction tonight and we will begin tomorrow. I'll post up the rules and an official OOC and Character thread tonight.  If anyone else is interested, feel free to post now or just hop on in the game after we have begun.

evilnerf

Okay guys.  I've posted the threads for this game.  I'll do my first actual IC post tomorrow morning, but feel free to add your characters to the Character thread or have a look at the IC thread, or start posting on the OOC thread.

If anyone has ANY QUESTIONS whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask.   You can ask, via this thread, the OOC thread, IM, PM, whatever.  Go crazy.

I know this is a little bit different then a lot of other games here, but I think this could really be something special.