News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Art - Derivative Work

Started by MasterMischief, April 09, 2015, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

I have a couple of battle map images I should like to share with E.  I made the battle maps myself, however, the textures and objects I used in the images were taken from the internet.  I do not remember where I got all of them, so posting a link is impossible for some of the objects and often impractical due to the number of objects used.  Am I screwed or can I post with the disclaimer that I used other people's objects/textures and that I will happily post links if anyone can identify the original source?

Vekseid

1) Is your work transformative? (I'm guessing yes)
2) Are you trying to make money off of it? (I'm hoping no)
3) Are you depriving the IP owners of revenue? (E.g. I imagine you're using much smaller images in preferably all cases, or otherwise seriously restricting your audience)

If you're using full-sized images for any reason, I would suggest you seek out some Creative Commons or public domain works.

MasterMischief

I believe the maps are transformative.  They are certainly not copied whole cloth.  For instance, I am using someone else's image of a tree, pasting it several times, rotating it and making other, small modifications, then adding other elements (some rocks, grass, ect) to create a forest.  Does that qualify?

I am not seeking to make money from these maps.  I simply wanted to share them since I thought others might be able to use them at their own tables for their own games.

All of the images I used were freely available on the internet.  I realize that does not necessarily give me any rights to them.  It does suggest that I am not depriving any of the IP owners of revenue though.