Popular songs turned parodies

Started by Xenphir, January 28, 2014, 07:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

I searched but didn't find any topics about this. Forgive me if there is :o

I wanted to talk about Parodies of well-known songs since I've been into them lately. Mostly pop music for me, but any genre is welcome :D

However I think there are soooo many wrecking ball ones you could choke a dragon with them D:

Beguile's Mistress

Check out Weird Al Yankovic.  It's all he does.

Oniya

I've written a few...

Nothing modern, though - and some of them are a little too packed with in-jokes.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xenphir

Hahah I don't think I've ever written any x3 It's cool that your creative enough to :O

The gay version of Blurred Lines was pretty cool though :3

Oniya

It's usually a case of a flash of 'connection' between two unrelated things.  I found one that is more 'accessible' than the others (as in, it doesn't reference events surrounding my old gaming group or various conventions I've been to).  The original song is The Police's 'King of Pain', and the parody combines it with Michael Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' multiverse - specifically, the Elric saga, but with a few nods to Corum and Hawkmoon. 

If you're interested

There's a little black sword in my hand today
It's the same old thing as yesterday
There's a pair of trav'lers bound for Tanelorn
The Eternal Champion's again reborn

I have stood here before outside Melnibone'
With the worlds in convergence running 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping I can end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain

There's a little black sword in my hand today
(Souls for Arioch)
(Souls for Arioch)
There's a pair of trav'lers bound for Tanelorn
(Souls for Arioch)
The Eternal Champion's again reborn
(Souls for Arioch)

There's a blind man sailing on the Sea of Fate
(Souls for Arioch)
There's my lover sleeping but she cannot wake
(Souls for Arioch)
There's a dragon sleeping in a far-off cave
(Souls for Arioch)
There's a Chaos storm rising like a wave
(Souls for Arioch)

There's a bone-white king with his eyes of flame
There's an old soul trying to forget his name
There's a young prince fighting with a silver hand
There's another one carrying a rune'd staff

King of pain

There's a white wolf tearing at a huntsman's pack
(Souls for Arioch)
There's a Dragon Prince who's riding to attack
(Souls for Arioch)
There's a little black sword in my heart today

I have stood here before on the dissolving plane
With the worlds in convergence running 'round my brain I
guess I always hoped that I could end this reign
But it's my destiny to go around again......

King of pain
King of pain
King of pain
I'll always be
king of pain
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Xenphir

:O Nice! I like seeing people's song lyrics/parodies of already made songs, poems, writing, artwork, etc.

Oniya

I highly recommend doing a Google search on 'filk' - the forerunner of today's 'song parodies'.  Take a hotel full of science fiction fans, throw in a couple guitars and mix with sleep deprivation (and possibly a bit of alcohol), and you get - well, these, for example.

Xenphir

Ohh interesting :D Thanks for that ^^

alextaylor

O/O

Xenphir

yobo

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 28, 2014, 08:03:49 PM
Check out Weird Al Yankovic.  It's all he does.

Now that was a flash from the past. Listened to him back in school, and found him quite funny at the time. Absolutely worth checking out.

alextaylor

Not sure if this counts as a parody, but I found this hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
O/O

kylie

Omg.  I'm not so familiar with where the boundaries of this genre are...  And I dunno metal -- so I have no idea if this was originally popular. 

But I searched for it, and this just cracks me up.   O:) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfpq6EPKck&list=PLE7F8CAFEFC720A69

Oniya

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Yeah, I'm really wondering about the context for that one. Was it live broadcast? Something the crew just kinda did for fun off-air and posted later? Is traffic guy a performance arts major who decided he couldn't cut it in showbusiness?
◕/◕'s

Oniya

The longer clip I saw (and am still looking for) talked about 'Dance Party Friday' or something, so it may be a morning-show gimmick to get people to watch the local station instead of one of the big cable networks.  I was rather impressed with his voice - too many people try to sing outside their range when doing a popular song.

Found the station's YouTube channel, which includes a bit of framework:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aDozDMr60c

He also does Elton John:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3qzP-uuBM

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on March 06, 2014, 05:48:52 PM
The longer clip I saw (and am still looking for) talked about 'Dance Party Friday' or something, so it may be a morning-show gimmick to get people to watch the local station instead of one of the big cable networks.  I was rather impressed with his voice - too many people try to sing outside their range when doing a popular song.
Speaking as someone who's had to listen to a lot of bad singers in a professional capacity, I'd call his performance "sometimes cringe-worthy, but passable." I've certainly heard much worse. I think he (and his co-anchors) sells himself way too short. Was it professional-grade? Pfft, hell no, but the rewriting wasn't terrible (most of the time) and yeah, he stayed in a comfortable range instead of overreaching, which matters a hell of a lot.

I'd give it maybe a 3/5. Ish.
◕/◕'s

Kurzyk

Quote from: alextaylor on March 06, 2014, 10:53:30 AM
Not sure if this counts as a parody, but I found this hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

Omg that was hilarious, and scary!

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Yukina

LunarSage

Ah yeah, "Party in the CIA" is a good one as well.  :-)

I saw Weird Al in concert a few years back.  It was -awesome-!

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on March 09, 2014, 07:22:44 PM
Ah yeah, "Party in the CIA" is a good one as well.  :-)

I saw Weird Al in concert a few years back.  It was -awesome-!

Yeah, I saw him live during his Straight Outta Lynwood tour, as going-off-to-college/birthday present. Was awesome, indeed.