WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: CountessJess on April 21, 2021, 11:31:14 AM
Stained glass - use contrast paints. The official Warhammer youtube has a surprisingly good tutorial on it.

The Raider/Ravager is about double as long and high as the Venom. Having painted both a Venom and Raider now I can safely say that painting in subassemblies is mandatory. That being said for models that look as big or bigger than the Sororitas Rhino they took me about the same amount of time to paint as that.

I must say that models that require painting before assembling are really frustrating!!!! Because I suck at painting - so, I can't assemble some really cool pieces (Skaven Doombell, for once... or, heck, any other big Skaven model). I still haven't finished my Rhino and Daughters of Khaine's Cauldron...

As for Raider / Ravager - how do they work on the battlefield, being so large? Is there enough space for them to move around?

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on April 21, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
Drukhari vehicles aren't actually that big, just spikey. It makes them look bigger than they are.

Alot of pokey bits jutting out at all angles so you need to be careful when packing them away for transport.

Supersized A-Case seems the best solution here... as long as I work out how to attack magnets to transparent plastic. I usually glue magnets to bases with CA glue, but that's not a good idea for transparent pieces, of course...

Ollumhammersong

Like any vehicle, they can be a pain to squeeze into certain nooks and corners of the battlefield. Especially with all the aforementioned pointy bits getting caught on pretty much anything. Limbs, trees, etc. Which sucks because they are the best transports to get stuck in melee. Granted, it's still not a great idea to rely on that but they can actually kill things with their bladevanes. Which is hilarious

That being said, all drukhari vehicles fly, which opens up a huge range of options for placement. You can get raiders onto the tops of buildings, Hide ravagers on clifftops. And if you need to you can be extra flying bases and longer stems to make them stand a little taller or shorter as needed.
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

Norwegian One

Anyone excited for this? ;D I mean, between this, Total War: Warhammer 3, Darktide, and Warhammer 40k: Battle Sector, it looks like Warhammer is getting a lot of new games to enjoy. I for one am super excited for all of these!
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Ollumhammersong

Maybe I'm just a jaded bastard. I would say I'm more interested than excited. If developers have proven anything, it's that for every 'Space marine' and vermintide you have 10 fuckups that over promise and undeliver.

Maybe I'm still salty about the last necromunda game and it's spoiling my mood. I let myself get hyped over that and it turned out to be a piece of shit. That's 40 bucks I'm never getting back.
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on April 22, 2021, 11:39:09 AM
Maybe I'm just a jaded bastard. I would say I'm more interested than excited. If developers have proven anything, it's that for every 'Space marine' and vermintide you have 10 fuckups that over promise and undeliver.

Maybe I'm still salty about the last necromunda game and it's spoiling my mood. I let myself get hyped over that and it turned out to be a piece of shit. That's 40 bucks I'm never getting back.

Im with you on both counts... Im wary as its the same people that did the deathwatch game, where your squad of terminators can get taken out by genestealer grunts with auto pistols... im hoping they have learned their lesson since then, and from trailers its not looking to bad, so  i have some hope, but still... Wary.

and to be fair on vermintide, it took them A TON of work to get that fixed up from how it was when first released, but now its pretty fun and playable. If you have a group.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Norwegian One

That's very true, and I am not so hyped that I don't have reservations about the likelihood of this actually turning out good. But I hope :)
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

HairyHeretic

How bad is the Necromunda game? Is it worth picking up during a sale?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Norwegian One

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 23, 2021, 09:12:40 AM
How bad is the Necromunda game? Is it worth picking up during a sale?

Wondering the same. I've seen some gameplay and it looks pretty fun, albeit a bit clunky.

TheLaughingOne

oohhh... man.

ok. all the gangs are the same, there are a few minor skills, but pretty much every gang plays exactly the same, and each "new" gang is basicly just  reskin.
the game play is very clunky and repetitive, and has lots of issues, and the AI bots are... Terrible. just, terrible. friends and i play group matches, 2-3 of us against  2 bots that are almost twice our power level, and we still beat them rather throughly...

Action and movement are their own seperate pools, which isnt a bad thing, thouh my friends complain, as its quite easy for a starting character to wander almost the entire map, then back to their start point. as long as you dont do an action or trigger a trap, your move points dont actually go do, which allows you to spend however long timers are set to just run around and find that just perfect spot. This would ruin enemy placement.. except you always know where the enemies are, and them you.

Follow this with the very low variety of missions, grab X of Y items, capture and hold these points, eliminate the other team. even then the numbers of maps are rather limited as well, though its hard to tell if they are random gen, or pre-set with just misc parts getting moved around.

Weapons are very limited and not that effective. "spray weapons" including FUCKING MELTAS are worthless, do low damage, and no lingering effects aside from maybe a small dip in their armor or attack or such, and otherwise autohit in their cone..
Fun Fact: If you zap someone with a melta, it wont hit the person directly behind them, as the melta doesnt actually penetrate things. so people can be used as cover. against melta weapons.

the "classes" are rather strict, and limit what your people can equip, and it makes little sense at times.

On my honest opinion... Pass it by, even on sale. the game is almost as bad as cyberpunk was at release. and while they fixed some issues, there are still TONS of problems with it, and even if they do solve it, then hte game is still just very mediocre in quality.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Norwegian One

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 23, 2021, 11:27:36 AM
oohhh... man.

ok. all the gangs are the same, there are a few minor skills, but pretty much every gang plays exactly the same, and each "new" gang is basicly just  reskin.
the game play is very clunky and repetitive, and has lots of issues, and the AI bots are... Terrible. just, terrible. friends and i play group matches, 2-3 of us against  2 bots that are almost twice our power level, and we still beat them rather throughly...

Action and movement are their own seperate pools, which isnt a bad thing, thouh my friends complain, as its quite easy for a starting character to wander almost the entire map, then back to their start point. as long as you dont do an action or trigger a trap, your move points dont actually go do, which allows you to spend however long timers are set to just run around and find that just perfect spot. This would ruin enemy placement.. except you always know where the enemies are, and them you.

Follow this with the very low variety of missions, grab X of Y items, capture and hold these points, eliminate the other team. even then the numbers of maps are rather limited as well, though its hard to tell if they are random gen, or pre-set with just misc parts getting moved around.

Weapons are very limited and not that effective. "spray weapons" including FUCKING MELTAS are worthless, do low damage, and no lingering effects aside from maybe a small dip in their armor or attack or such, and otherwise autohit in their cone..
Fun Fact: If you zap someone with a melta, it wont hit the person directly behind them, as the melta doesnt actually penetrate things. so people can be used as cover. against melta weapons.

the "classes" are rather strict, and limit what your people can equip, and it makes little sense at times.

On my honest opinion... Pass it by, even on sale. the game is almost as bad as cyberpunk was at release. and while they fixed some issues, there are still TONS of problems with it, and even if they do solve it, then hte game is still just very mediocre in quality.

That sucks. I guess I'll just watch gameplay on Youtube then.

Ollumhammersong

the games biggest crime is that it barely feels like a 40k game should. Just a standard sci-fi tactical game with 40k shit skinned over it. Few weapons behave as you expect them to. Like plasma or bolters are hilariously piddly weapons when they should be devestatingly awesome. Factions don't have unique guns or classes which only adds to the generic feel of it all. They tried to add some rp systems like perks and detriments that your characters earn as they fight, and if your character get's injured or dies they can be brought back with cybernetic limbs. Only some of these perks are blatantly better than others and getting saddled with a bad one feels shitty. And it's actually possible to get positive and negative modifiers that just cancel each other out entirely.

And i remember in the first few weeks people on the discord spent hours trying to get their characters killed and injured just so they could see what these cyber limbs looked like. But it proved to be so hard to intentionally sabotage yourself against the game's shitty AI that alot of people just gave up.

Plus the crashed. Oh dear Emperor the game crashes constantly. It used to crash almost every time you threw a grenade, but I think that's been fixed. unfortunately the devs have done few actual hot fixes and most of their effort is just pumping out shitty dlc gangs while the core mechanics remain broken and frustrating.

It's a cash grab, which sucks to see from the studio that made mordhiem. But necromunda just feels skeezy, a game sold on the 40k brand

HairyHeretic

Pity  :-\

Ah well, roll on Blood Bowl 3
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Numerion

Heyo, painted my first space marine
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Current status: looking for play -> A/A

Norwegian One

Quote from: Numerion on May 08, 2021, 01:06:00 PM
Heyo, painted my first space marine

I see we agree that the only good Ultramarine is a dead Ultramarine ;D

Kathadon

What does everyone think of Warhammer + ?
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

TheGlyphstone

I didn't even know it was a thing until you asked. Itll be fascinating to see how long it lasts.

Kathadon

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Andol

Hey guys I was hoping for some advice here in building my first army. Trying to make 1000 point Sister of Battle force with the Order of our Martyred Lady, and I am trying to figure out a good list. Any advice would be helpful :D 

AngelsSonata

With Sisters I would wait until next week when the new Codex is released so it's difficult to say what will change in terms of rules or points cost. However personal preference for me would to include Penitent Engines, Exorcists and Seraphim Squad. Depending on the points cost, Paragon Warsuits could be fun to include for extra anti-armour and they work as good character hunters with high movement.

Andol

Ah so the new codex hits next week. Thanks for the info, because everything I heard was kind of vague on that detail. What exactly are the Paragon Warsuits? I have heard that Mortifiers are better than Penitent Engines, at least for survivability and the thing where they get one more hit in when they die.

I was hoping my first army would be a nice core to start me off when I build into 1500 point and higher ranges. Certainly wanted to get Exorcists at this point given they are a good anti-tank choice for sisters. Wanted to save the flyers for a higher point build as a Deep Strike style back up for Celestine and her two bodyguard to go crazy in the back field.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Andol on June 05, 2021, 06:22:47 PM
Ah so the new codex hits next week. Thanks for the info, because everything I heard was kind of vague on that detail. What exactly are the Paragon Warsuits? I have heard that Mortifiers are better than Penitent Engines, at least for survivability and the thing where they get one more hit in when they die.

I was hoping my first army would be a nice core to start me off when I build into 1500 point and higher ranges. Certainly wanted to get Exorcists at this point given they are a good anti-tank choice for sisters. Wanted to save the flyers for a higher point build as a Deep Strike style back up for Celestine and her two bodyguard to go crazy in the back field.

Looks like the latest iteration of the Dreadknight design.

AngelsSonata

Quote from: Andol on June 05, 2021, 06:22:47 PM

Yeah, it went up for pre-order yesterday so it'll be on shelves next Saturday. I already have my pre-order coming to me at work so I'll be happy when that drops. I think Mortifiers are better by some. Same weapon opens though Mortifiers get flails which are a nasty option. I know there are some special rules and some stratagems to use when they get killed. It's really difficult to pick an army, as I said it depends on what changes are made in the new codex. So far all I've heard is that Celestine and her Geminae bodyguards are now one unit rather than a HQ and elites slot.

This is just a rough list, and subject to change and it all depends on what weapons you want to equip.

HQ
Canoness
Palatine

Troops

3 units of 10 Sisters of Battle

Elites

Unit of 6 Arco-Flagellants

Heavy

Exorcist

Mortifier

Retributor Squad

That sort of list comes in at just under a 1000 points with a mixture of weapon choices. One of each of the heavy and special weapons on the sisters squad. A heavy bolter, heavy flamer and 2 multi meltas on the Retributor squad.

Andol

Ah... dude that is a nice list and a nice piece of news to know. Though I am not sure about it, because it always seemed to me that by the numbers the base sisters are sort of a cannon fodder model and the Elites is where you want to spend your points. I was thinking about something like this, because it might give me a good core to work from. Though note I haven't checked my points yet, but this was kind  of base...

HQ
Cannoness
Judith

Troops

3 units of 5 Sisters of Battle

Elites

2 units of up to 9 Celestians depending on points... (I don't like the idea of hitting the magic 10 in number to help avoid them getting all wiped out.)

1 Imagiafer depending on if they keep the stratagem that makes them so good.

Heavy

At least Two Exorcist

and Retributor Squad of five with Multi Meltas all the way

Numerion

Had my first game of 40k against a friend.
I lost because he rolled like a demigod, but still fun!
Current status: looking for play -> A/A

CountessJess

Quote from: Andol on June 06, 2021, 04:03:56 PM
Ah... dude that is a nice list and a nice piece of news to know. Though I am not sure about it, because it always seemed to me that by the numbers the base sisters are sort of a cannon fodder model and the Elites is where you want to spend your points. I was thinking about something like this, because it might give me a good core to work from. Though note I haven't checked my points yet, but this was kind  of base...

HQ
Cannoness
Judith

Troops

3 units of 5 Sisters of Battle

Elites

2 units of up to 9 Celestians depending on points... (I don't like the idea of hitting the magic 10 in number to help avoid them getting all wiped out.)

1 Imagiafer depending on if they keep the stratagem that makes them so good.

Heavy

At least Two Exorcist

and Retributor Squad of five with Multi Meltas all the way

Reviews of the new codex are floating around on the internet since GW sent them to content creators a week early, so you can begin planning your lists already. That being said, some comments on your list:

1. Judith lost her reroll wounds aura, so take a Palatine instead of a Canoness to retain it.
2. Meta appears to be either minimum sized units of battle sisters (even better in Martyred Lady, where you can get miracle dice when they die), or 20 sister squads and buffed (also good in Martyred Lady, since they can take advantage of the +1 to hit). Heavy flamers, flamers and storm bolters got sizable buffs in the new codex, so consider taking some of them.
3. Celestians don't really justify the additional points and loss of Objective Secured unless arguably they're in Bloody Rose to take advantage of their superior melee output. Also the magic number for blast is above ten, so no reason to put nine.
4. Imagifier is a bit pointless currently. However, Dialogus, Dogmata, Hospitaller all got pretty significant buffs so get those instead. Especially the first two, since now sisters get a host of new buffs associated with those models (alongside missionaries and preachers).
5. Exorcists are sadly inferior to their previous iteration, save your time and the painting difficulty by taking something else.
6. Would recommend try taking a Retributor squad of 7 or 8 to take advantage of the Martyred Lady +1 to hit when they drop a model. Don't mix heavy weapons in a Retributor squad, but take armorium cherubs. Retributors also lost move and shoot without penalty, so be warned.

Of course, if you just like the units or models, go wild. Nothing is completely unplayable in the Sisters codex from what it seems, so if you're not planning to play (mostly) competitively, you can play whatever you like.