News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Siege of Carisbrooke Castle: OOC thread

Started by Valerian, December 11, 2009, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyWei

Quote from: Caeli on December 23, 2009, 03:26:06 AM
Since it looks like I'm going to die this round, I'm just going to comment that whoever is the historian better do a damn better job getting people to vote in the future for the real rebels than s/he is currently; if any more councilors die, it's going to be pretty hard to kill all the rebels before one of the "special" people also get killed. :P

Edited because I suck at putting verbs in the right places. :-)

It doesn't look like you're going to die though I'll shamelessly retain my vote :P

Haibane

If my comments here affect the game and I should shut up, please say so, but seeing people still voting the first vote for a person when the big issue is between 2 or at most 3 main names seems such a waste of your vote :(

desert ashes

Quote from: Haibane on December 23, 2009, 07:16:34 PM
If my comments here affect the game and I should shut up, please say so, but seeing people still voting the first vote for a person when the big issue is between 2 or at most 3 main names seems such a waste of your vote :(

But, an even bigger issue would be voting for someone you didn't believe to be at fault. ;)  Why vote for someone who happens to have more votes than another if you don't believe in their guilt?
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Aiden

Sometimes voting for someone else is a tactic or plot of someone else. Valerian has allowed people to switch their vote...so you never know when one rogue vote can create a snowball affect.

Haibane

Ah, I assumed that once cast, votes were fixed and couldn't be changed.

LadySky

No, votes can always be changed up until the voting is closed.
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

sinera

Quote from: Remiel the Christmas Remiel on December 23, 2009, 12:22:20 PM
I cannot think of a more appropriate time to quote Monty Python:

"Please, please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion!  Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who!"

No, No.. you must use the vernacular (accent)... "'et's not bicka and a'gue about ooo kilt ooo!" ;)
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Marguerite

-Is waiting for stable boys to be murdered and join-
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Caeli

I think I misread or something, but... come again? O_o;
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

I meant when its quite late in the voting when some people have 3 or 4 votes against their name and a player casts a vote for someone with 0 votes against them.

Imogen

Could be all strategy, Haibane ;-) Useless votes have their use too, when you want to be useless when voting goes your way already, for example..

Err...did that make sense?
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Haibane

Now that I know votes are not fixed until voting closes, it makes my comment invalid.

I think the game would be better if votes were fixed. Perhaps a system to try one time?

Autumn52

QuoteI think the game would be better if votes were fixed. Perhaps a system to try one time?

I would not like the voting to be fixed. It is strategy to change your vote when things are not going your way, is it not? In fact if the voting was fixed it would make pleading for your life useless, wouldn't it. The private PM's people send back and forth to try and influence the voting would also be useless.

Just my opinion.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Ryven

The inability to change votes would make the strategy of the game rather useless.

Haibane

Strange. I was not aware of the rule and was playing the whole game while I was in it on that basis.

Fixing the votes would favour the non-rebel players of course.

Valerian

I suspect that when the game is played with everyone in the same room, votes are much, much less likely to change.  But given the slower speed at which the game moves online, when it might take a while for two players who are collaborating to connect, for instance, traditionally more leeway is given for vote changes.

I've heard of players in online games being limited to just one change, which might work all right, but I don't mind letting people be indecisive.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Oh, and I don't believe I have the link anymore, but I once stumbled across a page where someone with far, far greater math skills than mine worked out all the probabilities for a great many different scenarios of the game -- special roles, ratios of villians to regular players, etc.  There may have been some statistics on how the ability to change votes affects things, but I don't recall.  Most of it might as well have been written in Sanskrit.  :P
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Autumn52

QuoteFixing the votes would favour the non-rebel players of course.

Not at all. If you are innocent all the more reason to plead with others you trust to help save your life. The private PM's are for all, innocent and rebels, to use for whatever purpose they chose. So it doesn't benefit one side or the other in the least. What I mean to say it gives no one an advantage.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Ryven

I've successfully been able to draw votes away/toward others in the past.  It's rather useful, and is probably more unique to playing the game online.  Now that I've played both online and offline, I'm preferring playing it online since more thought and cooperation is involved.

Autumn52

Haibane

Its definitely an amazing game and I would love to play in another. Having only seen the thing from the councillors side I would suspect that the rebels begin with a huge advantage and if they work to confuse the councillors they can wreak havoc early on and go for a quick win. It seems to me the councillor side needs to co-ordinate but when you don't know who the councillors or rebels are its pretty hopeless since there's zero private reliable communication.

The tactic I just employed which I call the 'sacrifical virgin' is a good way to alert the councillors to who the rebels are I think, providing you don't mind being out of the game early on.

As a person with no experience of running these games I'd be tempted to err on the side of giving the rebels fewer players at the start, though basing my experience on a statistic sample of 1 probably isn't wise.

Ryven

The special roles also help a lot, especially the seer.  The seer can build quite a force on their side if they can carry it out right.

Valerian

The usual ratio is one mafioso (or equivalent) for every two innocents.

3 players = 1 villain
6 players = 2
9 players = 3
12 players = 4
15 players = 5
18 players = 6

This game started with 20 players (the most I've ever tried to wrangle at once ;)), actually one shy of the jump to seven -- but, with four special roles (weaponsmaster, healer, alchemist, historian) I went ahead and used seven rebels.  It's generally agreed that the more special roles, the more advantage goes to the innocent players, though again, I have no hope of crunching the numbers.  Heh.

But there is also a fair element of luck involved.  If the rebels are lucky enough to remove the guardian early, it's much more difficult for the innocents to win.  If the seer (historian) ends up spying only on villains the first few rounds, that's useful in some ways, but then the seer also has no one safe to plot with.

I've used the same ratios all along, and so far I've had four innocent victories and two where the villains won.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Imogen

The possibility of votes changing, the secret manipulations, the entire puzzle and odds of choosing the wrong person to plot with all make this game very exciting to play, and with the addition of a little roleplay here and there, I am totally hooked... The tiny element of luck keeps things interesting as well, to throw a bit of random chaos into the evil plotting! Did I mention I am loving this? ;-)

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

LadySky

I totally agree, switching ones vote in the game is a very good thing.

It is actually unusual for the werewolves, rebels, etc. to win....it is always a shock when they do!

And.....Imogen, did you mean you are loving this? O8) *hugs*
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.