Magic the Gathering: Theros

Started by Hemingway, August 13, 2013, 11:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

It's about that time, I think. I know I'm not the only one around here who plays is being consumed by Magic, so ...

Is anyone excited about the upcoming Theros block? There haven't really been any massive spoilers yet ( internet suggests those will start around the 20th ), but the setting and the themes seem interesting to me. Enchantments being a major theme is a bit of a disappointment to me - but maybe that'll turn out fun anyway.

My main worry is that there will be the possibility of an Amazon tribal deck, in which case I will be forced to play such a deck regardless of its actual power or usefulness. Of course, that's unlikely - though I do hope they include amazon-like women warriors as a sub-category of soldiers. It would make me extremely happy.

Hemingway

Theros spoilers are trickling in now. A bunch of cards from the upcoming duel deck have been released. http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/

Word around the internet is actual set spoilers should start next Monday. Just in case anyone's curious.

Sody

Some of the cards look good. After the Return to Ravnica block I am taking a break however, I would like to pick up a few of these. Saytrs are some of my favorite mythological creatures so I have to have a few even just for the artwork. (I am not a huge fan of G/R decks so I hope they come in other colors than that mix)

MorsusAeternus

I'm very much looking forward to it! As a relative newbie who picked up the game in Mirrodin Besieged, I find that new mechanics never fail to fascinate me, and a Greek-themed plane will prove very interesting in terms of both flavour and lore.

Hemingway

That's very relative! I've only been playing since Gatecrash! I have a bit of experience with most of the recent blocks, though, and mechanics-wise, Theros is looking to be fun. Heroism looks useful, Monstrosity looks fun, and the way Devotion works with God creature seems really interesting.

It's really too early to say, but my only tiny complaint with regards to the cards spoiled so far, is that some of the artwork is a bit ... lacking, somehow. They look very static in some cases.

WindVoyager

RtR block didn't really impress me then again I'm not a fan of blocks that are mostly multi  color cards. I took a break from Magic about the time it came out and now I'm considering getting back in.

Theros is intriguing me though. I' getting the Theos Monsters vs Heroes Duel deck on pre order. The Hero deck I'm not too interested and will likely take it apart in its entirety abut the monster deck I am interested in . The Hydra in it alone is worth it for me. I'm a casual player to the most if high end cards the turrny players will be tripping over their shoe laces for won't hold much interest to me.

Hemingway

Ravnica wasn't that good for me, either. For different reasons, though. Mainly because probably half the thrill for me is creativity in deck construction, and the guilds in Ravnica really stifle that for me. I'm pretty obsessive about not mixing guilds and such. Otherwise, I don't mind multicolor at all. Alara is one of my favorite blocks ever, because COLORS EVERYWHERE.

Theros seems very much geared toward monocolor, though. At least if the gods and the devotion mechanic are any indication. Though I suppose hybrid mana would be exceptionally useful in multicolored Theros decks, since that'd count toward two colors of devotion.

As for the duel deck, that one actually looks fun. Far more so than Izzet vs. Golgari and Sorin vs. Tibalt.

RedPhoenix

I played this game almost twenty years ago. I didn't know it was still around. Also god I'm so old. I had a red deck that was all goblins. People got so mad when I beat them. :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

WindVoyager

Alara was awesome. RtR just.........ew. There was so little creativity in it, I agree with that. you couldn't just build what ever. Though I admit I am a bit of a sucker for Golgari.  Alara handled muti color a lot better. You could build such insane decks.

QuoteTheros seems very much geared toward monocolor, though. At least if the gods and the devotion mechanic are any indication. Though I suppose hybrid mana would be exceptionally useful in multicolored Theros decks, since that'd count toward two colors of devotion.

I love mono colored. Look forward to big red burn decks and big stomply greed decks

Sody

I didn't like alara. I tried playing my friend's alara decks. I could never get the right colors out to do anything so I would get annoyed. I can see why others would like the block however it seems to me the decks should only get played with other decks from that block.

Hemingway

Theros is looking sweeter and sweeter. I've been keeping up with the spoilers, and the more I see, the more I like it. A few of the cards are overcosted in mana - but that's always the case - and a few of the cards are just incredible. Including some reprints like Thoughtseize, which is just incredible.

I'm currently torn between playing Green and Black.

Green because it's built partly around hot damn amazons, contains some really cool monsters, and because I love and adore ramping decks.

Black because aside from a Zendikar vampire deck I have lying around, I've never played a proper black deck. And with the strong Greek underworld theme, they have some really interesting and unique cards. I especially love Rescue from the Underworld, where you sacrifice a creature in other to bring back another create and the sacrificed creature in your next turn. The only concern I have about black is what types of creatures they get. I'm not interested in zombies, or demons, or harpies. The nymph they've spoiled so far is awesome. If they get more black-themed nymphs, that would be awesome. Also, spirits. I will be so disappointed if there isn't a Charon/ferryman card.

I've promised myself I won't play white/red aggro ( on account of having a perfectly kick-ass Boros deck lying around ), or blue ( because some of my favorite decks are blue, and it's pretty much my favorite playstyle, and I've played way too much blue. I'm also not very good at constructing blue decks, apparently. ).

In the end, though, I'll probably make way too many decks for my own good.

Outsider

I stopped with Mirrodin years ago. Always thinking that it might be too much work to catch up again.
But damn, I would love to

Hemingway

Too much work how? Buy an event deck and you're back in the game! ;D

Edit: In case anyone's actually curious about spoilers, Mythic Spoiler is very good, in my opinion. It has a very good layout, and it's frequently updated. Obviously don't go there if you want to be surprised when you open your boosters. It's called spoilers for a reason!

Ryven

I was consumed years ago, but WotC comes out with new cards too rapidly for me to keep up.  I still have all of my cards, but I haven't bought any in about 10-12 years.

WindVoyager

QuoteI was consumed years ago, but WotC comes out with new cards too rapidly for me to keep up.  I still have all of my cards, but I haven't bought any in about 10-12 years.

That's one of the reasons why I play casual. I can pick cards up when ever I want and never have to worry about keeping up and I don't have to drop 200+ on ONE deck that has cards in it that will rotate out when a new block comes in.

I likely will end up playing mono green, mono red and G\R. And I want to pick up one of Shipbreaker Krakens for my Ula deck

Hemingway

With the reveal of the new UB planeswalker, my plans have gone from a monoblack pure Theros deck, to drastically revising my Dimir deck.

It's been a mill deck so far, relying pretty heavily on Consuming Aberration. Well, no more. Now it's going to be a deck that goes out of its way to annoy, stall and control, and creating card advantage for myself. Counterspells, discards, spot removal, that sort of thing, yeah. Also, things that steal cards. The new walker, Nightveil Specter, things of that nature. Why bring your own creatures when you can steal your opponent's?

I swear, this deck is going to be a nightmare to play against. If it's not effective, it's at least going to be violently annoying. I mean, opponent repeatedly counterspelling you? That's annoying. Opponent making you discard specific cards, counterspelling others, and stealing the rest? There will be such rage.