The dark side of magic

Started by Lady Jenn, November 11, 2011, 04:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albatross

When he said they'd better get going she opened her mouth to speak but her stomach gurgled hungrily and she closed her mouth. "Yeah, that," she mumbled and looked at Barkeley.

"Can we eat really quick?" She asked timidly, feeling a bit like a child since everyone else was magic except for her.

"You don't think the dragon will get mad that I'm there right? Can they sense when someone isn't magic?" She asked, looking between the lot of them and just noticed the soldiers again and focused her gaze on Barkeley since he was the first one she came into contact with.

Lady Jenn

"Just be careful when we get there," he said having sent Muroe to get the food he'd made. "They shouldn't attack unless they consider us a threat."

"Especially since we're going to be in the middle of their stronghold," Tea said with a slight laugh. "I don't think they think we're stupid enough to pick a fight in the middle of a city full of dragons.

Muroe put the bread and sandwiches on the grass where any could take some, although the fairies and dragon seemed uninterested.

albatross

Aurora crouched down and picked up a sandwich. It was hard not devour the meal like a beast but she restrained herself and took a few small bites, chewing thoughtfully and enjoying the food.

"I don't mean as a threat. I mean as me being of no magical descent or anything. Would they be insulted that someone like me was in their city?" She questioned then took another bite of the sandwich.

Though she was excited, she didn't want to mess anything up for anyone and now there was a Queen putting her name on the line as well.

Lady Jenn

"To be honest the less magical ability you have the more they'd probably trust you," Barkeley replied. "Bear in mind the man who betrayed them was a wizard."

Suddenly Kara sat bolt upright, staring at some point across the lake from the house. Her movement caused Tea and the prince to both draw their weapons, Barkeley quickly following suit.

"Muroe," Barkeley said. "I need you to go take a look at the shoreline, something's not right out there." Muroe quickly shifted to his eagle form, flying low across the lake. "What is it?" Barkeley asked Tea as she saw the fairy communicating with the dragon.

"There is something disturbing the water of the lake," Tea replied. "And if Kara is right whatever it is isn't human or fairy in origin."

albatross

"Oh! Well that's good then!" She smiled and became more chipper at the fact she could go and not cause a disturbance. She really hoped she'd get to see a baby dragon since they were so cute.

When the fairies and Barkeley drew their swords she gasped and looked around, not seeing anything. She watched Muroe fly across the lake and stepped back a bit.

If something was coming to attack them she didn't want to get in the way and she was frightened. But her primary concern was not getting in their way. Anything that was coming probably wouldn't even notice her.

"You said nothing can get across though right? Because of all the spells and everything," she said quietly, looking at Barkeley.

Lady Jenn

"No, nothing can cross the bridge," Barkeley said as he saw Muroe flying back. "Most people wouldn't be dumb enough to try swimming."

"Its an elemental," Muroe said as he transformed back into his human form just before landing. "But its not like any elemental I've seen before."

"Oh god..." Barkeley said under his breath before turning to Tea. "Tea, Muroe, take Aurora inside. This thing is well beyond either of your abilities. Let me, Imrik and Kara deal with it."

"What is it?" Tea asked, staring across the lake where a strange shadowy shape was visible just below the water heading straight towards them.

"Its a shadow elemental," Barkeley replied. "Unbelievably rare but extremely powerful and very very dangerous if you don't know how to fight it. The magic required to summon one alone is enough to kill an unprepared wizard."

albatross

Aurora frowned a bit when he spoke about how dangerous this thing was but stepped back then turned and headed inside of the house.

She knew the last thing they needed was her getting in the way. Once they were all inside she shut the door and went to the window to watch what would happen.

She lifted her hand and wrapped her fingers around the small amulet that dangled from her neck. She only ever held onto it when she was scared, it had been handed down to her from her grandmother.

"They'll be okay right?" She asked, looking over at Muroe as she rubbed her thumb over the amulet.

Lady Jenn

Tea nodded. "Imrik is said to be second only to his mother in terms of magical skill and Kara can deal with anything." She suddenly noticed the amulet around Aurora's neck and looked at it with a slightly confused look on her face. "Where did you get this?" she asked.

"We've got big company," Muroe said, pointing out of the window. Rising out of the water was a dark shape that looked vaguely bat-like but much larger and with horns just emerging from the top of its head. There was a sudden bright flash of light, Muroe pushing Aurora to the flooras a wave of energy hit the window.

When the light had cleared the creature was gone but everyone but Aurora and Kara were unconscious, the dragon gently nudging the prince and Barkeley to try and wake them up. They were unharmed but unmoving.

albatross

Aurora always kept the amulet under her shirt and did a double take at Tea when the fairy asked about the amulet and glanced down at it. "My grandmother gave it to me. Why?" She asked, confused since Tea seemed confused which only confused Aurora more.

Aurora looked back out the window then grunted when she hit the floor and glanced around after a moment. She picked herself up and touched Muroe's face then gently shook him before she felt for a pulse. She took a moment to look around then pushed herself up and ran outside.

"Are they alive?" She asked Kara, hoping the dragon could understand her and at least nod that they were.

Lady Jenn

"Yes," replied, speaking for the first time, smiling slightly at the surprise on her face. "I have always been able to speak, I merely choose not to. As for them, I had forgotten how powerful my magic was, luckily they were only hit by the aftershock from it. If they'd got the full brunt they might've been in more trouble."

"Ugh," Barkeley said as he sat up gingerly, rubbing his head. "Next time you do that Kara can you give us a bit more warning? I've had hangovers less painful than that."

"I'm sorry," Kara said with a laugh. "I have not used my magic for a long time, it is easy to forget how strong I am when my magic has been inactive for so long. The pain will wear off quickly," she said as the others stirred, Muroe stepping out of the house with Tea perched on one shoulder.

albatross

Aurora's eyes went as big as saucers as she looked at the dragon after she spoke. When she explained and Barkeley began to stir she turned to go to the house to shake Muroe awake but stopped when she saw them. "Oh thank you!" She grinned and ran over and gave Muroe a big hug then grabbed Tea off of his shoulder and hugged her too.

"I thought you guys were dead or something!" She mumbled as she held Tea in her arms.

She suddenly realized what she was doing and loosened her grip on Tea and looked down at the fairy. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hug you that hard," she said and looked around. Glad everyone was alright.

Lady Jenn

"Be thankful Stormrider didn't do that," Kara said. "I fought alongside him once in my younger years, even then his powers surpassed everyone besides his father. Being knocked out would be the least of your problems if he had done that."

"Its okay," Tea said with a smile. "I don't get it though, how did that thing find us? Do the enemy know we're here?"

"No," Barkeley replied. "Shadow elementals are drawn to sources of great magical energy, this island gives off more magical energy than anywhere for miles around."

"So, essentially it saw this island as a free-for-all buffet?" Muroe said with a smirk in an attempt to lighten the mood.

albatross

Aurora looked around and let out a breath as she looked around and then looked at Tea. "How come it didn't knock me out?" She asked and looked at Kara.

"I didn't feel a think. Except being tackled to the floor," she added with a bit of a shrug.

"Or was it cause of you?" She asked and looked at Muroe who covered her with his body when they fell to the floor.

Lady Jenn

"It won't hurt non-magic users unless it hits them directly," Kara replied. "Magic users have a...well, aura is probably the right word for it, around them which is what the shockwave reacts with to knock you out."

"Thankfully auras are almost invisible to most people," Barkeley said. "Its why normal criminals can't find magic users, unless they give themselves a way a magic user is usually difficult to spot from normal people."

"Kara," Tea said. "I think there may be something else protecting her. Aurora, show Kara your amulet."

albatross

"Who knew not being a wizard could be so rewarding," she said with a smile and looked to Barkeley as he spoke.

She then looked to Tea when she said there may be something else protecting and looked confused a moment then looked down at her amulet and pulled the chain over her head.

Aurora walked over to Kara and held up the amulet so Kara could see it and looked at the dragon, curious as to what she would say.

Lady Jenn

"That looks fair..." Kara paused as she looked at it closer. "It can't...where did you get this?" she asked Aurora in astonishment.

"I don't get it," Muroe said. "It looks like a necklace to me."

"Yes, that's how it appears unless you know what you're looking for," Kara said, a note of annoyance in her voice as she uttered something in a strange language under her breath. At first it seemed to have no effect but then strange symbols began to appear around its edges.

"That's the same kind of writing from the book," Muroe said with a gasp.

"Dragonkin runes," Kara said. "That suit of armour we have is covered in them. They will have absorbed all the power, so you pushing her to the ground was unneccessary."

albatross

The fact her necklace caused Kara to become astonished left Aurora speechless as she looked at the amulet.

"I don't get it either," she said in awe and lowered the amulet to look it over.

When the symbols appeared around the edges she gasped quietly and turned it over in her hand. "Wow, so this is something that was created by your kin?" She questioned and looked up at Kara.

"So this thing will absorb the power of spells?" she asked and looked around, feeling a bit more confident now.

Lady Jenn

"To a point yes," Kara said. "But even Dragonkin runes can't stop all magic."

"I don't understand though," Tea said. "No human wizard could've enchanted that amulet with magic that strong so how did something like that end up with Aurora?"

"I've seen something like this before," Kara replied. "I believe Queen Elena has an amulet like it herself. Dragons falling in love with non-dragons is more common than you might think, and often these are given as a gift to protect their loved one."

albatross

Aurora looked between Kara and Tea as they spoke, her fingers running over the amulet as they spoke.

She slid the necklace back over her head and looked down at what she always thought was just a simple necklace her Grandmother got a long time ago from some random little store or something.

"So, my grandmother fell in love with a dragon?" She asked and looked around. "Would that mean that my parents are part dragon or something?" She asked, thoroughly confused now as she tried to understand how the amulet came into their family. "My grandmother had to have known, when she gave it to me she said it was priceless and important. She said it didn't look like much but I had to keep it around my neck at all times," she said and looked around.

Lady Jenn

"No," Kara said, shaking her head. "While dragons can fall in love with other species they can only mate with their own. It is entirely possible your grandmother had no idea who her lover truly was, for it was no mere dragon she was in love with. Looks at the runes on the amulet and the runes on the armour."

"They're almost identical," Tea said, half surprised half confused.

"They are identical," Kara said. "They are the runes of Stormrider's family, in the case of the armour it is his father who put them there. My guess is it was Stormrider himself who enchanted these runes though."

albatross

Aurora stared at Kara as she spoke. "So, my grandmother was smitten with the King of the dragons?" She asked, her eyes as wide as saucers. "Oh nana," she laughed and looked down at the necklace again. "Her name was Elaine, you think he'll remember her? Or this?" She questioned and held up the necklace to show what she meant.

"Maybe he'd help us out if I explained I was her granddaughter?" She asked, looking between Tea and Kara.

Lady Jenn

"Between Queen Elena's blessing and Aurora's amulet there's probably more chance of Stormrider giving us an audience," Barkeley said. "We need to hurry up though, I doubt the enemy is sat waiting for us to complete our plans."

"Indeed," Kara replied. "Tea and Imrik can fly themselves but the rest of you will have to ride on my back."

"I can fly," Muroe said, a note of petulance in his voice, which ended at one glare from Kara.

"You would never survive the magical energies that surround Dragonblight," Kara said. "I and the fae have traversed them before, we know how to safely approach the city."

albatross

Aurora couldn't help but smile, feeling a bit more of use to the group now, thanks to her grandmother.

She glanced at Muroe when he spoke and smiled a little bit when he was silenced with a glare from the dragon.

Aurora walked up to the dragon and carefully climbed onto her back, she tucked the amulet under her shirt like she usually wore it and looked around. "So, since there's no saddle or anything. Are you going to catch me if I fall?" She asked, a bit of worry in her voice.

Lady Jenn

"Between all our agic users one of us should be able to stop you falling somehow," Barkeley said as he jumped on the dragon's back, Muroe getting on behind him.

"Return to Shadow Glade," Imrik said to the soldiers. "Tell my mother we will bring news from Stormrider as soon as we can." The soldiers nodded, launching off into the sky one by one. "We're ready to go when you are," he said to Kara.

"Hold on tight," Kara said as she launched into the air with one strong push off the ground, Imrik and Tea following her into the air, she flew upwards until they were above the clouds before flying south. "I'm sorry," she said to those on her back. "Dragons are required to protect the route to Dragonblight. I may not have lived there for centuries but I still feel a loyalty to my own kin."

"I can understand that," Muroe said with a smile. "You have nothing to apologise for."

albatross

"Okay, that sounds good. Makes feel a little better," she said as she looked back when Barkeley got up on to the dragon.

When Kara told them to hold on tight she gripped onto some scales she could actually get a hold of and held on tight. She squeezed her eyes shut as the dragon took off and kept them closed until they leveled out.

"Yeah, nothing to apologize for," she agreed, even though at this height it was beyond freezing. She began to sniffle a bit and as she got more relaxed on Kara's back she let go of her scales and pulled her arms inside her shirt and hunkered down a bit to try and get warm.