Interest check - Black Crusade (40k)

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2011, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

For those who don't know it, Black Crusade is the upcoming (hopefully this month) RPG from FFG, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. While their previous RPGs have allowed you to play acolytes of the Inquisition, Rogue Traders and Space Marines, Black Crusade turns the game around, letting you play the forces of Chaos ... Chaos Space Marines, Hereteks of the Dark Mechanicus and human followers of the Ruinous Powers.

I will be very interested in having a go at this when it comes out, and want to see if anyone else is up for a bit of damnation or glory :) Ideally I would much rather play than GM. Most likely as a Night Lords CSM.

Anyone else feel like dealing death and damnation to the lackeys of the carrion god?  >:)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

I've played one game of Dark Heresy, a few games of Rogue Trader and a oneshot based on the system for Deathwatch.  So I'd be up for trying it out but my knowledge of the setting is limited.  Nonetheless, I'll bookmark.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Malixe

I have experience similar to Andy's ^^. However I'd be very interested in participating in something like this!

meikle

Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

*looks at the pic*

Rather than playing that guy, would you want it as a minion? I could see that being something like a weapons servitor for a Nurgle aligned Heretek from the Dark Mechanicus .. someone who has fun crafting flesh, technology and deamonic essence into something new.

Black Crusade allows the PCs (according to the stuff on the FFG site) to purchase and customise minions that can help cover the area's that they're weak in.

A knowledge of 40k, and in particular the forces of Chaos would definitely help in playing.

I can recommend a few novels
The Night Lords ones by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver. They feature the Night Lords.
The Word Bearers novels by Anthony Reynolds, Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Dark Creed. These are about the Word Bearers.
The Soul Drinkers ones by Ben Counter, Soul Drinker, The Bleeding Chalice and Crimson Tears, which shows how a loyal chapter can fall (though it does need a bit of suspension of disbelief at times)
Blood Gorgons by Henry Zou, about a renegade chapter.
Most of the stuff in these focuses around various Chaos Space Marines.

The more human followers haven't gotten any real major lines of their own, but there is some stuff in the Gaunts Ghosts novels, and the various Inquisition ones.

It might even be possible to cobble together rules for Orks or Dark Eldar, as both of those would work with Chaos. Maybe even the Kroot mercenaries, lifting those from Rogue Trader.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

PuddingDragon

I'd definitely like to join, preferably as a tech priestess of the dark mechanicum. My knowledge of the imperium is limited, but I've read up on the codexes of chaos, and am fairly knowledgable as far as is necessary.
Always open to any RP, so feel free to come calling if you're a member down! ^^

Malixe

Yes! Wonderful, I know exactly where to find these ^^. I understand their concept and the whole chaos base. Though, a good few things my betters say go right over my head.

AndyZ

I have a feeling that anyone who runs this would be less informed than Hairy.  That said, it'd probably be acceptable either to make things up or to just talk over your ideas with your betters so that it's fresh and new for this game.

Personally, on top of this, I'd love to play in an actual Deathwatch game.  However, I have a feeling that the new video game coming out will sate me for that.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 04, 2011, 07:08:28 AMRather than playing that guy, would you want it as a minion? I could see that being something like a weapons servitor for a Nurgle aligned Heretek from the Dark Mechanicus .. someone who has fun crafting flesh, technology and deamonic essence into something new.

Black Crusade allows the PCs (according to the stuff on the FFG site) to purchase and customise minions that can help cover the area's that they're weak in.

I'll be honest, I just GISed 'plague marine' and posted the most evocative picture I found on the first page.

(The response it evoked was 'Bleuuugh!')

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

I expect I'd be capable of running a game, but I'd just like to play. If I do run it, I'd most likely start with the couple of introductary adventures, to ease people into the game.

I expect a Plague Marine will be doable .. whether it's an actual package, or a build your own via advancements I don't know. This would give you a better image for a Plague Marine

Or this

http://taytonclait.deviantart.com/art/Plague-Marine-Colours-151296126

There's some nice bits and pieces here

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

Cattle die, kinsmen die

PuddingDragon

Oh, wait, if this is an RPG, I'm out, but if it's a regular rp, I'm good.
Always open to any RP, so feel free to come calling if you're a member down! ^^

HairyHeretic

I was intending to use the actual rulebook, yes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

Just got the book myself, would be interesting to try it out before I coax my regular players into playing it. =p

Count me interested.
O/O

HairyHeretic

I think we get it over here a week or two after the release in the States. How's it look? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

A bud who was at GenCon got it for me and shipped it. He himself finds the Warhammer RPGs despicable, but I threw some extra money at him and he made sure he could send it to me.  :P So yeah, it's not really commonly available here either. But it looks awesome, and I am genuinely happy with a lot of the changes they have done. As said I haven't play-tested it yet, still writing a scenario for it, but made some characters with the players today and found it pretty smooth and clean.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

Guess I could GM, it's what I work with, after all, and a passion to boot!  ^-^

Give me a couple of days and I can bring you a scenario to play and some instructions on how to create a character, etc.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

BraveEarth

Did I read right that it has rules for Cultists and Chaos Marines? And I'm curious as to the method at which they are balanced

Wargtass

The balance is as such:

- Chaos Space Marines are truly fearsome in power, but basically a bit stuck in their archetypes. Just saying, a Chosen will not be very good in a social situation.

- Heretics are more flexible and have a broader base to build from. Not to mention that they are more likely to go unseen in a sneaky situation.

- Technically the CSM will have a lot of pros from the start, what with all the implants and of course, the Power Armour and better weaponry. However, they are a bit weak in the skills department, while Heretics have lots (and I do mean LOOOTS) of more skills to start out with. Not to mention, the Heretics gain 1000 starting xp while CSM get 500.

All in all it still means that pointswise the CSM will be a 8000 xp character from start while the Heretics are 7000 xp characters. However, my friend who is an expert in researching power play potential (he has helped design one of the major RPGs in Sweden and is quite adept at play testing) sat down with me yesterday and tried it out. His idea is that while CSM will be power house to begin with, a Heretic has more potential as a resourceful member in the group. If you want something to slay through hordes of enemies (not speaking of the "Horde" enemy type here) then the CSM will serve you well, but if you need more guile and skill to manage through a game the Heretic is generally a better choice.

All in all I think they are pretty well balanced to which roles they are supposed to have, so in the end it comes down to personal opinion.

Hope that answers your question.
O/O

BraveEarth

Ahh I figured as much. I also wonder how similar the rules of Sorcery are going to be compared to the Psychic Power rules that I know of. Although I only know of the Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy way. The method of Librarians in Deathwatch I would have to look up.... which I am going to do... -wanders off to do so-

HairyHeretic

Are deamonic weapons viable from the get go? Or are they something you have to earn / craft?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Quote from: Wargtass on September 08, 2011, 03:48:36 AM
The balance is as such:

- Chaos Space Marines are truly fearsome in power, but basically a bit stuck in their archetypes. Just saying, a Chosen will not be very good in a social situation.

- Heretics are more flexible and have a broader base to build from. Not to mention that they are more likely to go unseen in a sneaky situation.

- Technically the CSM will have a lot of pros from the start, what with all the implants and of course, the Power Armour and better weaponry. However, they are a bit weak in the skills department, while Heretics have lots (and I do mean LOOOTS) of more skills to start out with. Not to mention, the Heretics gain 1000 starting xp while CSM get 500.

All in all it still means that pointswise the CSM will be a 8000 xp character from start while the Heretics are 7000 xp characters. However, my friend who is an expert in researching power play potential (he has helped design one of the major RPGs in Sweden and is quite adept at play testing) sat down with me yesterday and tried it out. His idea is that while CSM will be power house to begin with, a Heretic has more potential as a resourceful member in the group. If you want something to slay through hordes of enemies (not speaking of the "Horde" enemy type here) then the CSM will serve you well, but if you need more guile and skill to manage through a game the Heretic is generally a better choice.

All in all I think they are pretty well balanced to which roles they are supposed to have, so in the end it comes down to personal opinion.

Hope that answers your question.

Sounds like a CSM would be more my thing.

My knowledge of the universe is limited, so being able to go "Rawr!  Smash!" is more for me.

Space Marines, Chaos or not, can only be male, correct?

meikle

The Space Marine geneseed is a male-only thing, yeah.

Not that I imagine it matters what was in their pants to begin with after ten thousand years hanging out in the Warp.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Wargtass

Daemonic weapons is a earning/crafty kinda deal, but there will be plenty of opportunities to earn/craft them, I assure you.

CSM and SM are Male only, although certain mutations can have some radical changes to that (Slaanesh is a helluva joker).

The fact is that "modern" SM have no junk at all. However, alot of CSM are about 10,000 years or older, that is Heresy Era, in which they still possessed junk. The better to rape, pillage and kill the slaves of the Corpse Emperor (not necessarily in that order).

Been compiling an adventure now, which is done and all, just have to make a checklist for the system itself. But come monday I should be able to post up a character creation guide.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Just to give you something to work with, I'm aiming to play a Night Lord, a veteran of the Long War. Do CSMs have any weapons that would suit a sniper? That's kinda the reason I was asking about the deamonic ones. I know technically CSMs don't have snipers, but I think the idea of a sniper, killing unseen, plays nicely in with the Night Lords way of working.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Just got the game Space Marine in, and now I'm hankering for some Deathwatch as well...

SidheLady

Slaaneshi sorceress? hehe. They are always fun...
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

HairyHeretic

I've seen the book is now for sale on a couple of online sites I browse, so hopefully my own FLGS should have it next weekend.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

Im currently playing in TGT's Rogue Trader campaign. I would love to play some Black Crusade too. I need to find a comic shop... its a pain when I got to travel everywhere and I cant support my local store.

ChaoticSky

I would like to throw my hat in as well, been meaning to get back into RPing, and learn how to do this system-game nonesense :P

I am also extremely knowledgeable about the setting.

So, total system nub, 40k lore vet, long time RPer. Am i in?

----

Also to point out, not all modern marines are junkless, rather its something that is endemic to a chapters ideologies, puritan chapters (smurfs and Black Templars, for example) tend to opt for castration, on the other hand, more easy going ones dont necessarily do the same, Space Wolves certainly dont. That said, all chapters consider such matters beneath them, even ones with working junk :P. The whole topic is rarely explored, aside from a firm insistence that space marines dont have sex, and arnt interested in sex, but if you read between the lines here and there, several chapters dont seem as mum in this area as a true Eunuch would be. Of course, chaos marines are something else all together, and tend to be very depraved in one form or another, the Emperor's Children certainly have no qualms about sex (though 'sex' can very much be the wrong word for what actually happens, depending on how far gone the marine in question is)

NotoriusBEN

what darkling said.

In the deathwatch book, they go into the psychology of marines and how they interact with citizens of the imperium. Marines are so far above the common citizen or soldier that they dont really know how to talk to them outside of missions. Even then, what would be a harrowing experience at the precipice of death for an IG trooper is just another Tuesday for a Marine.

It doesnt mean that fraternization / friendships dont happen. They are just incredibly few and far between. And your more likely to make friends with a Space Wolf or Dark Angel compared to a Blood Angel or Black Templar.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 17, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
I would like to throw my hat in as well, been meaning to get back into RPing, and learn how to do this system-game nonesense :P though i only have a half-blurry pdf of BC atm, i should beable to fix that soon enough with a delicious physical copy. (though if any of you know for a clean pdf in the meantime, feel free to share the love)

No, don't.

Rule 5 of the site states "This server is governed by the laws of the United States. You will not link to or provide warez, illegal pdfs or mp3s, and so on. Threats will be dealt with accordingly."

so please don't go talking about pdfs and such.

Quote from: Darkling on September 17, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
I am also extremely knowledgeable about the setting.

So, total system nub, 40k lore vet, long time RPer. Am i in?

I'd say welcome, but the guy who was offering to GM has been quiet for the last week or so.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Ah, my mistake. been offsite for a while. if it helps any i do plan to buy it, im just impatient  ;) will edit that out.

HairyHeretic

Believe me, you can't be any more eager to get it than I am :)

If the original interest GM bows out, anyone fancy taking their place?

Oh, and Andy, I was in an interesting (though short) Deathwatch game on RPoL a little while back. It was set at the time of the Horus Heresy. The idea is we would play through the Crusade, and then depending on which Legion we belonged to, attack or defend the Imperium. We ended up playing Imperial Fists (not my choice) but the GM had to drop it before we got that far.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 18, 2011, 09:06:17 AM
Believe me, you can't be any more eager to get it than I am :)
Challenge Accepted! ;D

Unfortunately, as a total system-nub im not really in a position to GM a game without making a horrific mess of it

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 18, 2011, 10:25:31 AM
Challenge Accepted! ;D

Chaos player since the original Rogue Trader / Realms of Chaos days. I've been waiting on this game for over 20 years  :P

Quote from: Darkling on September 18, 2011, 10:25:31 AM
Unfortunately, as a total system-nub im not really in a position to GM a game without making a horrific mess of it

I could run it easily enough, I'd just rather play than GM.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

dont worry, system games are not as hard as they seem. I managed to find a copy of Black Crusade in Hawaii and Im pouring over it now. Havent gotten to the mechanics yet, but if it is like the others, it's pretty simple.

War 40k uses a d100 system. (that's a 100 sided die). when you make your character, you have numbers next to your characteristics (Weapon Skill, Strength, Intelligence, etc). These are the base numbers you roll against. Then your character has skills which they know how to do. They can do many skills they dont know as well, but at a penalty, but we wont worry about that now.

So you want to deduce some perplexing puzzle in the game. Your character has an Intelligence of 35, and you have the Logic Skill. So to make a successful roll, you need to roll *under* 35 in order to succeed.

If your looking at the percentages of a lot of your characteristics, you'll notice that you have a rather low success rate. Well... that's kinda built into the system. Warhammer 40k is a rather lethal game and death is a very real possibility. I've gotten used to it, and its much sweeter winning combat in 40k compared to DnD. You have to play smart in life or death situations. By smart, I dont mean min/max modifiers (the GM will calc that). Look at how you would win a firefight. You gotta take cover, move tactically, flank opponents. (which incidentally, have modifiers that alter the success of your attack. Fantasy Flight is rather thorough).

Its kind of funny, but as in every game the GM can mean the world of difference. I like TGT, but I get the feeling that the last couple of pages on our game, he's been trying harder to kill us... and he might do it. :P Still, he's got a fun game going and that's what we like.

I would *LOVE* to get back into GM'ing. BUT, BUT, BUT, my work has me traveling all over and working crazy hours with not a lot left over to myself. I've tried GMing a DnD game and a Shadowrun game, and they both died in 1 1/2months :S. I dont want to do that you you guys.

AndyZ

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 18, 2011, 12:01:00 PM
Its kind of funny, but as in every game the GM can mean the world of difference. I like TGT, but I get the feeling that the last couple of pages on our game, he's been trying harder to kill us... and he might do it. :P Still, he's got a fun game going and that's what we like.

Makes me miss the days when I had a reputation for hating my players...

SidheLady

I am interested in this, but wont have BC for at least a week or two. I do have DH and the Radicals handbook however
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 18, 2011, 11:47:53 AM
Chaos player since the original Rogue Trader / Realms of Chaos days. I've been waiting on this game for over 20 years  :P
Ha, okay, your win. This is what i get for being a imperial dog.

and thanks for the explanation ben ^^

Wargtass

Sorry for the silence, but I have been pretty caught up with writing this little piece. I have, in fact, just played the first session and it was a great success! And I must say that I am already quite fond of the system. I intend to play it more like an epic tale of a small group realizing their dreams of power. The best example would be what one of my players said tonight when I asked them how I did for this adventure. "It was like being in Conan the Barbarian; epic and inviting with a big good piece of cheese in the boss-fight." Yes, they had a boss-fight and I can certainly see why it was cheesy, but you'll have to get that far first if you want to know. So here is a bit of a plot synopsis that will give you some idea of it all:

On the planet Rought in the Koronus Expanse, in the village of the Crom Tribe, an old hag, the Witch of a Thousand Spawns, foresees that three of her children shall rise from their pitiful lives to serve the Four Gods. She is shown their path and calls them to her, giving them a quest which they must complete in order to gain the favours of the Gods. Over the hills, through the desert and past a jungle lies a mountain so high that its top is frozen shut, but in that top there is a cave of ice which hides a sword which will change destinies across space and time. "On this quest ye shall go" she says "and on your way ye shall find three giants. They have been betrayed by their Lord and lie helpless in the grinding, hot sands of the desert. Help them and ye shall find that they will help you in turn to find your destiny."

Meanwhile, wandering across the desert comes the terrible horde of Harakk the Receiver, gifted by the Gods and sent to purge the Expanse. Twenty worlds lie ruined in his path and twenty more shall burn before he is given his reward. Rought is the twenty-first and he has sworn to purge it like any other. However no resistance has been shown, no enemies to slay and the horde grows restless. Three Chaos Space Marines speak up against Harakk's folly, which they pay dearly for. "If you won't bow to me, I shall make sure you crawl on your bellies for the Gods!" he roars as he tears the power packs of their power armours and destroy them with his demonic fist. He leaves them there, their strength barely enough to move their unpowered armours and their supreme bodies wasting in the scorching heat of the desert.

Yet destiny has foretold it. These six shall rise to infamy and claim their place in the annals of the Dark Gods!

I might just have got an degree in campy, but it was worth it!

To start with I can say right now that I'll give Hairy Heretic a benefit, seeing as he was the one to start the thread and seems to burn for this special RP session. As such I grant him the honour to play a Night Lords Chaos Space Marine (recommendations are to play as the Forsaken archetype for the sneaky sniper deal). As for the rest, there are two CSM and 3 regular Heretics to play*. A quick guide to their Archetypes (classes) are:

CSM
Champion - A warrior and commander, leader of soldiers by either fear or devotion.
Chosen - A consummate soldier and hard bitten veteran.
Forsaken - An outcast from his former allegiance, a lone wanderer who joins other warbands out of necessity.
Sorcerer - A Chaos Space Marine who has mastered the art of psyche and sorcery.

Human
Apostate - An infiltrator and silver-tongued serpent, a powerful leader of the masses.
Renegade - A warrior who survives on skill of arms rather than brute force.
Heretek - One initiated into the mysteries of technology, a rebel from the cult of the Adeptus Mechanicus**.
Psyker - An unsanctioned and chaos-turned psyker, extremely powerful and infused by the warp.

For now I am more interested of your vision of a character rather than the stats. If you are interested you can PM me a concept, personality and history. These are essentially controlled by certain parts of character creation regularly, but in this case I think it's important that you are happy with your character's soul rather than being. As thus, your concept, personality and history will have effects on your character creation, which is important to contemplate before you rush along to roll up your stats.

Concept: What your character is and what he/she aims to be. This will effect your Motivation***.
Personality: How your character acts, think and sees things. This will effect your Disgrace***.
History: What your character have done up until now. Worth noting is that Human characters have never been outside this planet and only barely outside their village (Heretek being an exception) and that the CSM have spent the last couple of years marauding with Harakk's horde. This will effect your Pride***.

I will be the final judge if your character makes the cut or not. If not I'll tell you what I think and what I believe could improve it. In the end (if we actually get that kind of interest) I'll choose five characters (excluding HairyHeretic) that will play.

When we start playing I'll go by the book, my personal judgement and your opinions if anything should be unclear. I am a GM that hates to get clogged in dice rolls and rulemongering, so at the end of it all I'll make a call and that will be it. Fear not, I shall take you all into consideration.

Finally, I want all players to have a copy of the book at hand. Whether physical or not, as long as I don't know its origins I'll give the benefit of the doubt (but as a man who bought it for double the price to get a hand on it earlier, I'd prefer if you have a legal copy once we start).

Any questions, ask them here or by PM, I'll be happy to reply. Also I would like to have your input on the sexual content. If any, how much, etc. For obvious reasons I have not included any such content in the campaign as it is (my friends are not frequenting any adult role-playing circles, unless they are keeping it secret...).

*Keep in mind that you have to keep possibilities open. If you can only imagine playing one or the other, your PM for me only needs to have one character concept, if you feel you are more flexible when it comes to race it helps if you send two character concepts, one for each (a pain, yes, but it simplifies matters for me). Sending just one will not guarantee that you get that race, however, I still judge by how well it is presented
**Worth noting is that a Heretek player wouldn't come in before some time has passed in the story, that is not until the others have reached a certain point in their first endeavour. Not too far in though, they'd meet him fairly quick depending on how much roleplay they squeeze in before that.
***Motivation, Disgrace and Pride have effects on your characteristics and stats. It will be up to me to interpret what your character gains from these.
O/O

Ironwolf85

I was thinking a CSM sorcerer, I usually play the good guy but kind of want to branch out, just completed the game Space Marine, and absloutely loved playing a loyalist, even if he got dragged off by the inquisition DISPITE killing a deamon prince by himself at the end of a story arc, actually it was his immunity to Chaos that had the inquistion on his ass.

Persionally I'd rather frag chaos that play them most days, I'm always a sucker for saving people and what with blood sacrifice and all the other crazy crap they do... just makes be want to bash their skulls in, then again the inquisition and imperial cult piss me off almost as much. admitidly I took great satisfaction in handing the Sisters of Battle their fanatical asses in Dawn of War.
But I figure it's time to expand my horizons play chaos for once, think I'll go a bit eastern too.

Kassad, the Ruby Prince, 77th son of the sultan of a wasteland world, recruited into the black templars he could not stomach the slaughter of civilans, he defied orders, still an initate at the time. the inquisition and his battle brothers were not going to loose a potental libarian.
He turned to psychic powers to survive and fled into the warp to escape the shadow of the inquisiton.
What emerged during the dark crusade is far diffrent from the initate who fled the battlefield.

When finally starved (no food in the warp and he lacked sustaining power armor at the time.) and beaten down by the battering horros swarming upon him, he was confronted by a sorcerer of the Thousand Sons offering saftey, knowlage, and freedom if he pledged himself to the chaos gods. He drove his combat knife into the sorcerer's throat pried his armor off, and seeing without food he would eventually die or be overwhelmed, ate him, not knowing that power armor would have prevented that very need. he realized somthing that day, instead of fearing the warp and it's deamons, he grabbed the demons that attacked him by the throat and bent them to his will.
He has been a sorrcer ever since.
Now clad in red and gold power armor, and mutated into a red scaled cobra headed humanoid (the warp's reflection of his newly growing persona, plus the mutative influence of the demons he carries as companions) he refuses to give tribute to the chaos gods, seeing them only as massive deamons with delusions of grandure, he's willing to work with their servants provided they pay.
He fights not for acension or the favor of the dark gods, but because messing with the imperium is fun, creating havoc with his servants is fun, watching Imperial guard troops drop shells on their own ranks is fun. war... is you guessed it... FUN!
As such he does not go out of his way to defile the Emperor's shrines, and sees the emperor as a respectable adversary. One he'd like to sit down and have a talk with someday. He ignores imperial civilans, hates xenos, especally Eldar, and loathes the inquistion with a burning hatered. He doesn't want to crush the imperium into dust, they're just too much fun.

I had the image of him walking into an imperial chapel standing before a statue of the emperor and talking to it like he was talking to the man himself, much to the surpise of the imperial priests who expected slaughter. "Not talking to me today huh, ahhh I know you've got an entire imperium to protect, what's a single town." the picking up the Imperial Deed (or whatever their holy book is called) and thumbing though it "hey they added an edition since I read this last, oh this sector has a new saint too!" walking right up to a priest and handing him a power weapon "here, I'll take this for some light reading, you use this to defend yourself against the oncoming orcs? Die gloriously now, try and save your flock in the process, and when you do tell the emperor, or whatever saint you meet Kassad says hi, and if it's your local one tell her I said her ass is beautiful"
and just walking out
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

NotoriusBEN

I had to leave on a business trip at the beginning of the month and I wanted to play space marine. I've not looked at footage of it until now with the "WTF..." angry britain series and omg... I want to play so bad. I go home this thursday for a couple days and I must find time between Gears of War 3 and Space Marine... I think I'll be up for 50hours...

HairyHeretic

Concept sent. And while I appreciate the offer of a free in, I think it would be fairer for you to pick whichever 6 you think fit best. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

I don't have access to the actual book but I'm going looking for a pdf if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appricated.
basicly I'm looking at a CSM sorcerer with some physical and cosmetic mutations
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on September 19, 2011, 12:34:58 PM
I don't have access to the actual book but I'm going looking for a pdf if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appricated.

If they did, they wouldn't be able to say, since it's against site rules :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

understood *wink wink* found it by myself anyways

Ironwolf85

or you know... NOT...
turns out I downloaded a ton of background history on the 13th black crusade...
and no rules save those for armies that fought in the conflict
what is the name of the book I need to look for?
there is a lot of data to sift through...
I did find the infantryman's uplifting primer, heard it's a hoot to read.
and lastly Space Marine captures the feel of being one of the "emperor's Angel's of death" rather well in my opinion, you just feel like such a badass while guardsmen are hiding behind baracades and taking shots, plowing through sandbags (not leaping over them) grabbing an ork by the throat tossing him to the ground, and stomping his head, when a shoota opens up on you whipping around and blowing his head off with a timely bolter round...

ChaoticSky

*wince* he wasnt kidding when he said it was against the rules you know....

NotoriusBEN

The title of the book you should be buying is called "Black Crusade Core Rulebook". Look at the Fantasy Flight website or amazon or other book purchasing site for the title. Dont want to hear anymore about it, Ironwolf. Dont want the thread shutdown.

I know what you mean about Space Marine. During the Angry Brit's summary of the demo, he said he's never felt as powerful in any other game, and that Kratos should 'suck it'. Im going to agree with that sentiment when I play it. I think I'll get it for Xbox since it has a lot of 3rd person action-ey stuff with the chainsword.

Oh my god, that moment in the vid where Titus throat punched / choke slammed that ork and then stomped its face to paste. /wargasm  :P

looking over the archetypes in the rulebook, is it just me or does it seem like a healthy chunk of them are meant to be leaders? I mean, its kinda obvious since we are a cabal of ne'er-do-wells, but doing a quick look at them shows that the CSM Champion and the Human Apostate, and Renegade could be geared towards leader rolls. If you lean towards Slaneesh or Tzeentch you could add those skills to the other archetypes too. Obviously you can specialize how you want with your role. I kinda like it, the character building seems really malleable compared to other systems.

You mind showing everyone how you built your character Hairy? Im planning on a demolitions specialist and I dont want to step on CSM toes >.>

Wargtass

Wow, way to spoil the surprise, guys. Some of us haven't come around to buying that game yet... :'(

And indeed, end of discussion about the book, buy it. As for your character, the concept you have provided doesn't fit the glove. Mostly because a sorcerer draws his powers from the warp, something that the Gods can snuff from a certain individual at any time. Being arrogant and ignoring the Gods won't give you any sorcerous favours. As for beginning with mutations and the like, it's a no no, since such things are rewards earned from the Gods and a big part of the system's rewards as well. Also, going from Black Templar to Sorcerer seems quite the tad bit extreme, seeing as they are about as subtle as Leman Russ when it comes to psykers. That said, if you have some good arguments I might consider it.

Being servants of Chaos, of course it is going to be a very malleable advance process. I like it too, seeing as it can bring diversity to the archetypes. There are no walls so there will be literally hundreds of combinations to choose from as you advance.

Darkling and HH has turned in some truly interesting concepts, Darkling going so far as to save me some of the work. :p I especially like the format that HH gave me, made for an interesting read over a cup of tea.
O/O

HairyHeretic

I wrote the background as if it were an Inquisition report :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Wargtass on September 19, 2011, 05:23:42 PM
Wow, way to spoil the surprise, guys. Some of us haven't come around to buying that game yet... :'(

sorry, wargtass. I havent played the game. I'll spoiler from now on, but this spoiler has no story in it, just stuff I've seen from angry brit

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
the stomping bits are in game actions. I dont know much of the story other than you are a spes muh-reen and that you are really kill-ey and ded 'ard.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Wargtass on September 19, 2011, 05:23:42 PMAlso, going from Black Templar to Sorcerer seems quite the tad bit extreme, seeing as they are about as subtle as Leman Russ when it comes to psykers.
Really? i always thought it was more like a baneblade :P

QuoteDarkling and HH has turned in some truly interesting concepts, Darkling going so far as to save me some of the work. :p I especially like the format that HH gave me, made for an interesting read over a cup of tea.
Hehe, sorry, if you prefer, you can change them, i just figured it would be easier to note the ones that inspired my character, since i worked from the list in the book. Hope i didnt step on your toes  :o

Wargtass

Quote from: Darkling on September 19, 2011, 06:01:47 PM
Really? i always thought it was more like a baneblade :P

Was thinking of the Primarch Leman Russ' hatred for the shenanigans of the Thousand Sons, but that one works too.  ;)

Quote from: Darkling on September 19, 2011, 06:01:47 PM
Hehe, sorry, if you prefer, you can change them, i just figured it would be easier to note the ones that inspired my character, since i worked from the list in the book. Hope i didnt step on your toes  :o

Not at all, it'll save me some time.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 19, 2011, 05:08:48 PM
You mind showing everyone how you built your character Hairy? Im planning on a demolitions specialist and I dont want to step on CSM toes >.>

I don't see myself going a lot for demolitions. Given I'm a Night Lord, inflitration and intimidation will be useful. I'd probably dabble in demolitions and posions, simply as tools of the trade. He's a veteran of the Long War, so probably pretty skilled with a variety of weapons. I like the idea of some sort of sniper ability, but not sure how viable that is for a marine. Maybe some sort of customised weapon?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

I'd recommend Chosen with ranged specialities, as it gives you some good talents from the go (Deadeye Shot and the like).
O/O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

Imagining someone nine feet tall and buried in power armor sneaking around makes me giggle.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AndyZ

There's more than enough talented people, so I'll step aside and let the rest enjoy themselves.  Good luck, folks.  Show those lawful good folks that they're lawful stupid.

NotoriusBEN

ooh, hairy's csm sniper provides overwatch for my evil snake pliskin/bomber

ChaoticSky

Quote from: meikle on September 19, 2011, 06:54:02 PM
Imagining someone nine feet tall and buried in power armor sneaking around makes me giggle.
A valid point, though its not as bad as you might think, normal power armour is not exactly quiet, though i know that its possible to modify that, the Raven Guard notably use armour that is not only silent, but heat and auspex neutral, making them damn hard to detect until you feel those lightning claws fondling your internal organs. To my knowledge Night Lords dont actually favour stealth-stactics so much as terror-tactics, they will hide, but only so they can jump out when you least expect it, and are more likely to display themselves so that they can inspire fear. That said, its not like their Legion stuck together after their primarch died, so its possible any number of permutations on that theme have arisen, including a outright abandoning of it. Its also entirely possible that the chaos marine's current suit is actually one jacked from a fallen Raven Guard marine, as with alot of chaos, they will scavenge anything they can get their hands on, desecrate it, and use it. Its also possible that the Night Lords have or had access to the same tech the Ravenguard are using, or that he himself was able to modify the suit himself to duplicate the effects.

NotoriusBEN

hey, watching your buddy's head and upper torso explode from a bolt sniper that came from nowhere seems pretty terrifying

HairyHeretic

This is a piece I wrote for the Medusa campaign. I think it fits pretty well with the feel of Chaos, and shows the sort of character I envision.

The hunter lay silently, motionless within the confines of the heavy ceramite armour. Four days he had lain here, alone but for the whispers of the spirits that dwelt within his armour and weapon and trophies. The hunters way was one of patience and perfection. The hunt. The stalk. The kill.

He had been bidden here six weeks previously, and spent the intervening time combing the area surrounding the Imperial staging point. In the night he stalked the fringes of their camp, concealed by day, unnoticed by those who dwelt within. By now he knew it well, each hardpoint plotted on his mental map. His mind calculated angles of fire, and dead zones. He had selected three primary points, and a backup for each. When the time came, he would be ready, and would take his toll from those that cowered within the camp.

One week ago, the spirits of his armour whispered the words from his Lord. Three nights he had moved silently and cautiously forwards. Three days he had spent motionless, watching the Imperial patrols come close enough to touch, their eyes turned from him by his own skills of concealment and the whispers of the spirits he had taken.

Now he waited.

The sun rose and fell, the activity in the camp never ceasing. Only the hunters eyes moved behind the black eyepieces of his helm. He shifted slowly, lining up the long barrel of his deamon weapon on the camp some hundreds of meters distant. He whispered words of power, awakening the slumbering spirit within, which rose eagerly to mesh with him.

The hunter felt its hunger, and embraced it, his gaze becoming one with his rifle. The distant Imperials seemed to leap closer, close enough for him to reach and touch.

The hunter smiled at the thought. His touch would be the last thing they would ever know. With an effort of will be brought the various spirits he had bound together, focusing them on the task at hand. Each had been a master hunter themselves ... eldar pathfinders, space marine scouts, even a few kroot and Imperial Guard that he had deemed worthy prey.

Looking down on the camp, he saw no worthy targets. He could kill any there without effort. What did they know of the stalk and the kill? Nothing. The hunter no longer kept tally of those. They were only good for drawing out the worthy prey. The best of those he would duel, and if they proved worthy, he would take, binding their spirits within the specially crafted shells he carried.

No doubt the eldar considered his corruption of their wraithbone one more reason to wish him dead. He smiled as he felt the rage of the latest addition to his choir. He welcome the rage ... properly focused, it would be one more aid to him.

He forced the spirits attention to the camp beyond, and shifted his vision into theirs. The camp swam for a moment, the figures in his sights blurring. Now he could see not only where they were, but where they were likely to move. The ghostly images moved ahead of their owners, fading and intensifying as the likelyhood of movement took them one way and another.

There. They would do.

An Imperial officer, quite high ranking to judge by the ornate decoration of his uniform, walking with a group of his subordinates. The hunter led the group, waiting for the ghost images to move where he waited.

His gun shivered as it fired, the round sailing through the twilight air. The hunter watched the Imperial fall, the shell having passed through his throat, all but decapitating him, before lodging in the chest of one of his subordinates. The shock of this had barely registered before his second round found its target, the senior Commissars head exploding, showering gore around the rest of the group.

The Imperials dived for cover, no doubt calling alarm into the night. The hunter smiled, and another Imperial fell, the round from his rifle passing clean through the crates the Imperial had hidden himself behind.

By now he could faintly hear the sound of alarm sirens, and search lights began to sweep out from the camp. It would take them time to sweep this far out, and by then the hunter would be long gone.

The remainder of the Imperials had taken cover behind a chimera, perhaps thinking the armour of the vehicle would protect them. The hunter smiled. From a normal rifle, it might, but his was far from normal. He drew on the senses of the deamon within his gun, and the shapes of the Imperials showed clearly, their spirits glowing behind the dead metal of the APC.

He focused on the nearest one and squeezed the trigger again. The man shaped glow flared and went dim, the spirit passing to whatever awaited it. He shifted his aim slightly and fired again, the powerful round smashing into the ammunition bins of the APC, detonating them and it in a fireball that lit the camp around it. The hunter could see the spirits of those who had been nearby fading, and willed his eyes back to normal vision.

Tracer fire lit the sky as panicing Imperials opened fire on anything they though might be the hunter. Contemptuously he shot out the three nearest spotlights, his rounds smashing through the lights and into the operators beyond. One last round was sent into the ammunition piled by one heavy bolter team, the shells detonating and firing in all directions.

The hunter watched the soldiers in the camp scurry towards it, no doubt thinking it was an actual attack. His work done, he backed slowly down into the nearby gully and began to crawl away to his secondary position. In a few hours the camp should have calmed down. Then he could begin again.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 19, 2011, 07:18:35 PM
A valid point, though its not as bad as you might think, normal power armour is not exactly quiet, though i know that its possible to modify that, the Raven Guard notably use armour that is not only silent, but heat and auspex neutral, making them damn hard to detect until you feel those lightning claws fondling your internal organs.

If you've read Blood Gorgons, there's a scene early on where the marines are doing training that shows how effective power armour and stealth can be.

To my knowledge Night Lords dont actually favour stealth-stactics so much as terror-tactics, they will hide, but only so they can jump out when you least expect it, and are more likely to display themselves so that they can inspire fear.

Yes and no. Read Blood Reaver, where the Night Lords are infiltrating the Marines fortress, or Lord of the Night where Zho Sahaal is working over the underhive looking for info, and you'll see the effectiveness of stealth in terror.

Think of it this way. If you see what is doing the killing, you now have a point of reference. It may be huge and horrible, but you still know what it is.

If you don't know what it is, if you can't see what is doing the killing, your mind will fill in the most horrible things you can imagine, and they will be specifically tailored to what scares you most. That's the psychological aspect that the Night Lords work with. Fear cripples. It weakens. And someone can't fight what they can't see.

That said, its not like their Legion stuck together after their primarch died, so its possible any number of permutations on that theme have arisen, including a outright abandoning of it.

I don't see it as abandoning it.

Its also entirely possible that the chaos marine's current suit is actually one jacked from a fallen Raven Guard marine, as with alot of chaos, they will scavenge anything they can get their hands on, desecrate it, and use it. Its also possible that the Night Lords have or had access to the same tech the Ravenguard are using, or that he himself was able to modify the suit himself to duplicate the effects.

Quite possible. I prefer to think of the deamonic spirits of the armour whispering 'Ignore me' into the minds of anyone who gets close. Or maybe he has access to cameleoline (or however you spell it). Or he skinned a mandrake and wove its skin into the ceramite of his armour *grins*

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Terian

Any room for more?  I've a concept I've been playing around with since I got my copy of the book, and I'd like to get it to use.

Since nobody else on the internet is interested... Welp.

Long story short...

Character Name: Ariadne Sarissa
Archetype: Psyker
Reference Picture:

Backstory:

The Imperium's Vast Size is something that tends to work against it more often then not, and Ariadne Sarissa is a good example of what happens when someone slips through the cracks. The daughter of a pair of factory workers, her early life was relatively pleasant as far as things go--and it wasn't until her abilities as a Psyker began to wake up that things wound up getting unpleasant.

Her parents actually did the respectable thing and tried to protect her from the , quickly being executed for the temerity of thinking that a psyker was an actual person, but they managed to buy her time to slip the net--and a Psyker of considerable potential with a grudge against the establishment was never a good thing in anyone's books.

She was a smart girl, quickly going to ground and mastering the arts needed to maintain control in a universe that actively seeks your complete destruction. Bargaining with the cults that were endemic in her path to the edges of Imperial Space for arcane knowledge, serving their interests to buy passage to the next world, and increase her own understanding of the Warp, all while staying two steps ahead of the Inquisition and the local law-enforcement that would see her burned at the stake for evading their grasp, while launching attacks on targets of opportunity as she went along--a notable one involving masterminding an interception of a armament shipment towards one of the countless battle-fronts throughout the galaxy, arming a band of rebels with high quality tech, and taking some of the better bits as trophies.

Now, at the edge of Imperial Space, in the company of other Heretics of power and influence, she is finally in a position to strike back, to accumulate enough knowledge and warpcraft to become Someone Of Note, to repay the hated Imperium of Man for the crimes they've conducted against her family and other Psykers. If this means cooperating with a band of over-zealous maniacs? So be it, she will rise to power with or without them.

She's intended to be an Unaligned Psyker of some power, bargaining with Gods and Daemons to fulfill her ambitions, without really "Drinking the Kool-Aid" so to speak.  Logical and intelligent, and she's done enough raids on AdMech shipping to have captured some decent hardware and a fair degree of technical knowledge on top of that.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 19, 2011, 08:04:37 PM
If you've read Blood Gorgons, there's a scene early on where the marines are doing training that shows how effective power armour and stealth can be.

Yes and no. Read Blood Reaver, where the Night Lords are infiltrating the Marines fortress, or Lord of the Night where Zho Sahaal is working over the underhive looking for info, and you'll see the effectiveness of stealth in terror.

Think of it this way. If you see what is doing the killing, you now have a point of reference. It may be huge and horrible, but you still know what it is.

If you don't know what it is, if you can't see what is doing the killing, your mind will fill in the most horrible things you can imagine, and they will be specifically tailored to what scares you most. That's the psychological aspect that the Night Lords work with. Fear cripples. It weakens. And someone can't fight what they can't see.
Whiles its true the two are highly related (and ive read all of those XD) Terror and Stealth are different, to use the examples from the Night Lords novels, when they wanted to jump a station, did they sneak in silent and dark, leaving their enemies unaware of a problem untill the strike cruiser's boarding tubes peirced the stations side? No. They came in screaming scrapcode to jam everything, sure their enemy didnt know they were there, and attributed the scrambled sensors to generic issues, but they are much more towards 'the shadow thats haunting you' than 'the shadow sneaking up behind you'. Their victims generally know they are being attacked, just not by who, what, or how, until its far too late, they want to be feared they cannot be feared if their foe does not realize they are there. This allows them to exploit the fear, something they excel at.

To contrast, in one of the White Scar novels, there is a company of Ravenguard, who have been a thorn in the bad-guy's side for some time, but those chaos forces have no idea whatsoever that they are being attacked by such a powerful force, they feel safe, secure, their patrols will catch the 'bandits' eventually and that will be the end of it, this allows the ravenguard to bleed the enemy at their leisure, untill they find a weakness, and then OMG WHERE DID THE MARINES COME FROM? *dead*

I know some people argue the difference between the two is semantics (they are the same, just the ravenguard want to kill you, while the nightlords want to scare you, then kill you in unblievable ways), but i personally feel that their modus are actually radically different, no matter how similar they many seem at first glance. Stealth are Terror are highly similar, but ultimately incompatible forms of warfare, because they differ in a few key areas.

Now, if you want my suggestion (not saying you do, or need it) if i was going to play a NL sniper, id give him a vox leech and a good voxcaster, so he can listen in to his enemies, and when he wishes, tune in and talk to them, so he could whisper his victims name in a soft sibilant hiss, just as he pulls the trigger, so the target has a split second to appreciate their doom, and the entire enemy force is terrified of hearing their own name, they might even so so far as to ditch their vox units and comm beads, soldiers are nothing if not superstitious. Which of course would give any properly communicating force a large advantage over your victims.

its scary, its effective, and not only are you probably picking off leaders, but youve terrorized them into abandoning a pretty basic yet powerful battlefield asset. Its deliciously Night Lordy.

But all that said, thats just how i see it, 40K is such a amazing setting because theres always many ways to approach any given subject, we are both equally right in our interpretations, and your char is no less a Night Lord for going stalker/hunter instead of stalker/tormentor as i would (and vice versa) they are simply Night Lords By HH and Night Lords By Darkling. Even in the novels themselves, there is debate over the nature of various organizations from those within it, its a major theme towards the end of Blood Reaver if i recall.
If id didnt have my heart set on a human character, id almost be tempted to ask to play a NL too, just so we could play our differences off each other, its a very neat concept to explore in its self.

QuoteQuite possible. I prefer to think of the deamonic spirits of the armour whispering 'Ignore me' into the minds of anyone who gets close. Or maybe he has access to cameleoline (or however you spell it). Or he skinned a mandrake and wove its skin into the ceramite of his armour *grins*
Haha, thats a good one, i never thought of that. I blame my imperial habits, i default to a technological explanation, and rarely turn to chaos buggery to explain things. But thats why i proposed a Heretek!  ;D

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 19, 2011, 09:33:42 PM
Whiles its true the two are highly related (and ive read all of those XD) Terror and Stealth are different, to use the examples from the Night Lords novels, when they wanted to jump a station, did they sneak in silent and dark, leaving their enemies unaware of a problem untill the strike cruiser's boarding tubes peirced the stations side? No. They came in screaming scrapcode to jam everything, sure their enemy didnt know they were there, and attributed the scrambled sensors to generic issues, but they are much more towards 'the shadow thats haunting you' than 'the shadow sneaking up behind you'. Their victims generally know they are being attacked, just not by who, what, or how, until its far too late, they want to be feared they cannot be feared if their foe does not realize they are there. This allows them to exploit the fear, something they excel at.

Both techniques built fear up until the point the Night Lords chose to reveal themselves. I'd actually say the basic premise was the same, the implementation different.

To contrast, in one of the White Scar novels, there is a company of Ravenguard, who have been a thorn in the bad-guy's side for some time, but those chaos forces have no idea whatsoever that they are being attacked by such a powerful force, they feel safe, secure, their patrols will catch the 'bandits' eventually and that will be the end of it, this allows the ravenguard to bleed the enemy at their leisure, untill they find a weakness, and then OMG WHERE DID THE MARINES COME FROM? *dead*

I don't think I've read that one. Which book is it?

I know some people argue the difference between the two is semantics (they are the same, just the ravenguard want to kill you, while the nightlords want to scare you, then kill you in unblievable ways), but i personally feel that their modus are actually radically different, no matter how similar they many seem at first glance. Stealth are Terror are highly similar, but ultimately incompatible forms of warfare, because they differ in a few key areas.

The stealth is the forerunner to the terror, as opposed to the means alone.

Now, if you want my suggestion (not saying you do, or need it) if i was going to play a NL sniper, id give him a vox leech and a good voxcaster, so he can listen in to his enemies, and when he wishes, tune in and talk to them, so he could whisper his victims name in a soft sibilant hiss, just as he pulls the trigger, so the target has a split second to appreciate their doom, and the entire enemy force is terrified of hearing their own name, they might even so so far as to ditch their vox units and comm beads, soldiers are nothing if not superstitious. Which of course would give any properly communicating force a large advantage over your victims.

Assuming you've read the Horus Heresy series, Samus in the Whisperheads?

its scary, its effective, and not only are you probably picking off leaders, but youve terrorized them into abandoning a pretty basic yet powerful battlefield asset. Its deliciously Night Lordy.

Definitely. It will screw up their command and control.

Take it a step further. Bind a deamon with a talent for voice mimicry into a vox projector. I'm sure you can see the possibilities there.  >:)

But all that said, thats just how i see it, 40K is such a amazing setting because theres always many ways to approach any given subject, we are both equally right in our interpretations, and your char is no less a Night Lord for going stalker/hunter instead of stalker/tormentor as i would (and vice versa) they are simply Night Lords By HH and Night Lords By Darkling. Even in the novels themselves, there is debate over the nature of various organizations from those within it, its a major theme towards the end of Blood Reaver if i recall.

The 40k universe has room for a lot of things.

If id didnt have my heart set on a human character, id almost be tempted to ask to play a NL too, just so we could play our differences off each other, its a very neat concept to explore in its self.

I like this idea too :)

Haha, thats a good one, i never thought of that. I blame my imperial habits, i default to a technological explanation, and rarely turn to chaos buggery to explain things. But thats why i proposed a Heretek!  ;D

Look at some of the stuff that the Hereteks have come up with in the various books though. The thrice wrought, warp wolves .. I'll lay good money those are all Heretek work somewhere along the line.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 19, 2011, 10:34:22 PMI don't think I've read that one. Which book is it?
Hunt For Voldorius i believe.

QuoteAssuming you've read the Horus Heresy series, Samus in the Whisperheads?
Nope, im waiting untill its done, then ill read it. So i dunno who Samus is, but if you like, feel free to PM me the details, i dont mind spoilers (ill let you in on a secret, i know how the Heresy ends :P)

QuoteLook at some of the stuff that the Hereteks have come up with in the various books though. The thrice wrought, warp wolves .. I'll lay good money those are all Heretek work somewhere along the line.
Quite so.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 19, 2011, 10:59:54 PM
Hunt For Voldorius i believe.

Yeah, haven't read that one yet.

Nope, im waiting untill its done, then ill read it. So i dunno who Samus is, but if you like, feel free to PM me the details, i dont mind spoilers (ill let you in on a secret, i know how the Heresy ends :P)

It was vox transmissions the attacking Imperial forces were picking up. Along the lines of

"Samus. That's the only name you'll hear. Samus. It means the end and the death. Samus. I am Samus. Samus is all around you. Samus is the man beside you. Samus will gnaw on your bones. Look out! Samus is here."

And if you're going to wait for the end of the series you may we waiting a while. I think we're around 15 books in, and judging by Amazon there's at least another half dozen in the pipeline.

Quite so.

Hereteks are also fun :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

thanks for the info everyone, I am rethinking and rewriting, I'll buy the book but for now I have source materal!
believe it or not I have every army book except marines and chaos because it was too expensive at the time.
also grabbed a LOT of guardsmen and a tank on the trip to england, and beat the tutoral scerino in one of their gaming shops, actually nobody had beaten the new set up, and it had been around for two weeks.
I splattered tyrranids as the ultra-marines, it was only small armies, but when their Close combat troops slammed into one of my squads instead of friendly fire I had the other squad of marines charge into the fray, the xeno killed no marine that day, and dispite their superior combat skill the marines dragged them down and hacked them up with combat knives.

I have looked at the infantry man's uplifting primer... there is one picture of an ork that knocked me out of my seat, it looks like some old fashoned cartoon and is like 3ft tall, stupidly running before being stabbed in a "this is how to use your bayonet" demonstration.
the only thing I could think of was an old video game, and the ork saying "Whaaggawhaggawhagga" as he walks across the screen.

the idea for Kassad was a sorcerer with a red cobra motif, eventually more resembling the creature, and treating the imperum not with hate, but a casual distain "come back little guardsman... aren't you supposed to die gloriously like it says on the posters?"

PS: the book actually gives the guardsman ways to remove leaches, including the kind that crawl inside and feed, and tells you how to remove a large colony of them from your anus... how the fuck... how often does that come up that the High Lords of Terra put THAT into the primer?

ChaoticSky

Youd be surprised. If it was in there, odds are its common enough to warrant pointing it out.

Though, generally the Primer is used as toilet paper, after that its leaves :P

Ironwolf85

"Sir the enemy's weapons destroyed a few things in battle, I need a replacement of the glorious primer"
"good of you to ask trooper, though this happens every battle"
"yes sir, the foul xeno targets the emperor's holy works as we all know"
"take better care of the emperor's properity next time, now be off with you"
"yes sir, before I go sir, could you point me to the privy sir."

the idea I had for kassad was he enjoys messing with people using his psychic abilities, and is none too bad in a fight, I know he'll have to wait for higher levels or whatever they are called in black crusade to be the badass sorcerer I want him to be.
part of the fun.

NotoriusBEN

ok, so:

Hairy Heretic  - CSM Chosen (sent)
Ironwolf - CSM Sorceror (in progress)

Darkling - Human heretek (sent)
terian - Human Psyker (in progress)
NBen - Renegade (in progress)

just a quick look see at the moment.

Terian

Ironwolf85

i am still open to any background advice you guys are willing to give me for coming up with kassad, which chapter he should be from and so on.
I am going to be working untill thursday, and have dialup.
so i will get on high speed at the locla libary thursday and download the book

NotoriusBEN

im using the point allocation system, but I'd assume Dice Bot.

point allocation system
CSM base stats start at 30  add 100 points between all characteristics.  (Gets 500xp to spend on additional traits, skills, characteristic boosts)
Human base stats start at 25  add 100 points between all characteristics. (Gets 1000xp to spend on additional traits, skills, characteristic boosts)

frost rose

I just stumbled upon this thread today, and reading it I am curious if you're still accepting new people? I have fond memories of the Dark Heresy game I played, and have a soft spot for the setting, even if the RPGs have skipped my favourite bits.

Granted, I'm a little hesitant to ask, since I currently don't have access to the BC books, just the DH ones, and I probably won't get my hands on the corebook for a little while yet. (Until I can steal it from a friend, probably.) Would that be a huge problem, assuming you're still even accepting interested peoples?
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on September 20, 2011, 12:33:58 AM
i am still open to any background advice you guys are willing to give me for coming up with kassad, which chapter he should be from and so on.

A lot of chapters have librarians, not as many have the Black Templars hate for all things psychic. I seem to recall the Blood Ravens are supposed to have a lot of librarians, so you could argue for higher than normal psychic potential there.

Alternately, a chapter like the Exorcists might provide a good background for why he turned.

There's a big list of chapters here

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters

The Relictors might be another good one to use

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Relictors

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

To elaborate on HH's post;

Generally speaking most chapters have librarians, though some are more welcome than others, in some, they are positively revered. A minority of them eschew librarians for reasons of faith or purity, as psykers are both technically a form of mutation and heretical. To those chapters that do not utilize Librarians, recruits are often heavily screened for psychic talent, in a normal chapter this earmarks them for future training or observation in the librarium, while among the puritans it is grounds for disqualification, much like gross physical mutation is for other chapters. But psychic talent is notoriously hard to screen for, and no matter how invasive you get, some will always slip past the net, Sororitas have a similar problem.

A puritan marine who discovers his own awakening psychic power would likely try to suppress it, throw themselves into prayer and meditation, perhaps fear that they have been tainted somehow, or that the God Emperor has abandoned them. Once the secret got out, and it would eventually, whether the marine presented himself or got discovered, he would face the recrimination of his battle brothers, whatever ties of fellowship he holds to his brothers and chapter would be severed by their hatred, which often falls all the harder on those who 'deceived' them into pretending to be their brother. from this point there are many possibilities, varying widely depending on the temperaments of the marine, his superiors, and the chaplains, as well as his battle record, honours, and so forth. Execution (willing or enforced) is likely among the most severe puritians, possibly including the destruction of the geneseed, as far as i know, the Exorcists would likely resort to this. Exile is also possible, probably with a directive to redeem themselves by dying gloriously somewhere. Its plausible they may even been permanently seconded to the Deathwatch, or less likely, to another chapter who is more pro-psyker.

Space Marines place much stock in loyalty and brotherhood, and for a marine who suddenly finds himself scorned and exiled, or wanted dead, by his brothers, its not hard to see how bitterness and rage at the injustice of it could lead them to chaos.

Wargtass

You have probably noticed that when it comes to forums I am like a U-boat. I only resurface every so often unless I have committed myself to an RP.

Everything is open so far, as I have said I will review all applicants before we start making characters and then pick those that I deem fit for the campaign. I'll set September 30 as the deadline, after that we'll start preparing the characters.
O/O

HairyHeretic

On the off chance anyone is after it, the Limited Edition is now on sale

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=185&esem=2

Nice, but I can't really justify spending $150, plus shipping.

My FLGS has the standard copy in though, so I should hopefully have mine this weekend. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Are there still any slots open for this one?  I'd be happy to sub in for any role that needs to be filled, or even take an assistant GM role if it's needed.  (I've been wanting to run Black Crusade since it came out, though it's fun enough to use to make Rogue Trader villains)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Ironwolf85

now I await, and try and decipher what I want to do with my character exactly, I don't usually make casters.
but looking at the cover, totally worth the money, I think I can come up with a better sorcerer than I'd planned.
I am looking it over now.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 23, 2011, 12:18:09 PM
On the off chance anyone is after it, the Limited Edition is now on sale

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=185&esem=2

Nice, but I can't really justify spending $150, plus shipping.

My FLGS has the standard copy in though, so I should hopefully have mine this weekend. :)
Oh my Gods. *drools all over the cover* Waaaaaaaaaaaaaant.

*ahem*
>_>
<_<
*starts counting pennies*

and Great, you might start by reading the post one above yours :P
QuoteEverything is open so far, as I have said I will review all applicants before we start making characters and then pick those that I deem fit for the campaign. I'll set September 30 as the deadline, after that we'll start preparing the characters.

HairyHeretic

A mate of mine checked on the shipping, and it came in over $220. As much as I'd like one, that's just too rich for my blood.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 02:42:40 AM
A mate of mine checked on the shipping, and it came in over $220. As much as I'd like one, that's just too rich for my blood.
Ah, too bad, 150$ is severely pushing it for me, im a sucker for shiney, limited edition objects, but even i wouldnt pay over 200$.

*edit; i looked it up and its 180$ for me, in canada, where does your friend live?  :o

HairyHeretic

We're both in Ireland. Shipping something as heavy as that is going to be would not be fun. My friend has bought the other LEs though (DH and RT, and I think DW).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
We're both in Ireland. Shipping something as heavy as that is going to be would not be fun. My friend has bought the other LEs though (DH and RT, and I think DW).
Ah, Awsomeland. Nice place.

Was the RT CE made of pure gold (or look like it)? if not, then it should have been! ;D

HairyHeretic

Haven't seen it myself. I only ever tried to get the original Black Library LE of Dark Heresy, and missed out by literally seconds on it. I did get an autographed regular edition in compensation though, so that's still fairly cool :)

And I got my own copy of Black Crusade this evening, so shall be enjoying that for a while :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 07:25:30 PM
Haven't seen it myself. I only ever tried to get the original Black Library LE of Dark Heresy, and missed out by literally seconds on it. I did get an autographed regular edition in compensation though, so that's still fairly cool :)

And I got my own copy of Black Crusade this evening, so shall be enjoying that for a while :)
lucky, im still debating if i want to buy the LE or not.

The Great Triangle

Okay, well, here's what I've got for a character concept:

Doktor Crowley Ripper

Archtype: Heretek
Pride: Beauty
Disgrace: Greed

Background: Doktor Ripper was born on the forge world of Vindalex in the Gothic sector, where he excelled in his studies and attracted the attention of the Adeptus Mechanicus.  He took quickly to the study of the holy arts of the Omnissiah, and attained priesthood at a relatively early age, cloistering himself to better study the divine mysteries.  Unfortunately, the thrill of discovery proved too much for him, and he committed dire heresy by designing a new pattern of auspex equipment, which was both smaller and more powerful than the orthodox equipment.  Much of his life after his heresy was scrubbed from his mind by the inquisition, but he does remember getting married to a beautiful woman, and waiting in a reclaimation facility to be turned into a servitor.

Ripper ended up as the personal servitor to a Magos, along with his wife, until the 12th black crusade came to their world.  As the sky filled with fire and pain, an unholy champion's personal weapon fell from the sky and cut into Ripper's body, tearing apart the mechanisms which had crippled him, and somehow tearing into his very soul to set him free.  Ripper drew the blade into his hand, and it called him master, demanding that he rise up and destroy the Magos who had held him prisoner, and the very Imperial system that had ruined him for the crime of innovation.  He called the unholy weapon "Mein Fuhrer", and it became his most treasured and trusted companion.  Realizing the power of of chaos was just as beautiful as any work of the Omnissiah Doktor Ripper had ever laid eyes upon, and he destroyed the Magos with glee, ruining the defensive measures of the planet and allowing Chaos to utterly dominate.  After attaining his freedom, Ripper attempted to free his wife, as he had been freed, but found that her conversion was too extensive to reform without killing her. 

Undeterred by the fact that only he had been freed, Doktor Ripper was swept up into the twelth black crusade, repairing the engines of Chaos and learning all he could of the forbidden weapons of the legion, even once catching sight of the flagship of Abaddon the Despoiler himself as he landed on the planet.  Later in the campaign, much of the lower half of Ripper's body was ruined by a landmine, and he replaced it with a very strong cybernetic support armiture, which allowed him armor and a sort of mobility, even at the price of his more normal functions.  The time Ripper spent immersed in his studies left him unprepared for the coming of the blackstone fortresses, and the vast naval battles which marked the latter half of the 12th black crusade, as Ripper thrust himself into the unfamiliar territory.  Unexpectedly, his ship was utterly destroyed and consumed by the warp, pulling him directly into the mercy of the Gods.  Unfortunately, Mein Fuhrer had other plans, and arranged for him to be deposited directly into the Screaming Abyss, so that he could be killed in as painful and horrible a way as possible... 

Appearance: Doktor Ripper is highly uncertain of his age, though he appears to be over eighty years old, and not dealing with it well.  His experimental auspex sensor sits on his face like a third eye, changing colors with his mood and the things he detects.  Most of the time, Doktor Ripper travels in a grease colored armored cybernetic armature, a sort of wheelchair which supports his body and helps power his implants, including his mechadendrite, with which he often weilds Mein Fuhrer.  Mein Fuhrer itself is a short sword made from a frictionless material, which can never seem to decide which color it wants to be, simply shifting about in impossible, hypnotic patterns.  Doktor Ripper is usually accompanied by his companion Lucy Ripper, who he is fairly certain is his wife.  She resembles a standard utility servitor, but manufactured from a striking blond woman.  She isn't useful for very much, but Ripper has a deep conviction that she'll eventually be repaired into something at least resembling who she once was.

Characteristics:  (points spent in parenthesis)

WS: 40 (15)  BS: 30 (5) S: 41 (+10) (16) Ag: 35 (10) T: 33 (8) Int: 50 (20) WP: 27 (6) Per: 36 (11) Fel: 34 (9) Infamy: 25  Wounds: 15    Armor: 7 all    Corruption: 4   XP: 50

Skills: Awareness, Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech, War, Imperium), Forbidden Lore (Archeotech), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Logic, Parry, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), Trade (Armorer), Tech-Use +10

Talents: Die Hard, Lesser Minion of Chaos (Servitor), Technical Knock, Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock, Power), Mechadendrite Training (Utility), The Quick and the Dead, Total Recall, Weapon-Tech

Gear: Best Craftsmanship Lascarbine, Power Axe (El Presidente), Cursed Frozen Shard (Mein Fuhrer), Unholy Ungents, Combi-Tool, Light Power Armor (With vox link,magnetized boot soles, and sustainable power source)

Cybernetics: Utility Mechadendrite, Good Quality Cybernetic Legs, Good Quality Embedded Auspex, Maglev Coils,

Advances Purchased: Exotic Weapon Training (Frozen Shard) 500, Awareness 200, Cursed Heirloom (Mein Fuhrer) 250

Attacks:

Lascarbine (max setting): Range 75m, RoF S/2/-, Dam 1d10+5, Pen 2, Clip 15, Rld Half
Mein Fuhrer: 1d10+11 damage, penetration 8; balanced, felling 3
   Curse: When spending infamy points for the first time each session, roll 1d10- on a result of 9, the infamy point is spent with no effect.  After each scene in which Mein Fuhrer is used, make a toughness test or suffer 1 point of damage with no reduction for toughness or armor.  Mein Fuhrer is trying to kill its bearer, and subtly brings misfortune to its owner.
El Presidente: 1d10+12 Damage, Penetration 6; Power Field, Unbalanced

Minion: Lucy Ripper

WS: 10 BS: 01 S: 30 Ag: 20 T: 20 Int: 05 WP: 05 Per: 08 Fel: 01
Wounds: 6   Loyalty: 44  Armor: 5 all
Skills: Intimidate, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Parry, Security, Trade (Scrimshawer)
Talents: Frenzy, Mimic, Resistance (Psychic), Sound Constitution x2
Traits: Auto-Stabilized, Machine, Sturdy 
Equipment: Flak Armor, Scavenged Blade Tines
Scavenged Blade Tines: 1d5+5 damage, penetration 2; unbalanced

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Two points. I think the GM is just requesting concepts rather than full characters at this point.

Second, the name of his sword ... not really 40k, is it? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Well, if you've got a better name suggestion, I don't mind.  I think the name is 40k because it's sort of german and makes a coy literary in joke, which seems to fit in with names like Inquisitor Karamozov.

Making the full character just makes it easier for me to make a concept, because I find it easier to create the concept and character at the same time, so the two will fit together better. 

Ons and Offs

frost rose

I'm not quite sure if that is something I would call a coy literary in joke. That would be something more along the lines of a character Doctor Faustus wielding the axe Gretchensfrage, and the sword Des Pudels Kern.

Also, much envy towards all of you with books. I still haven't managed to get myself a copy. T.T At least I have a concept submitted—perhaps mercy will be taken.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

HairyHeretic

Did you read the GMs proposed idea? I'm not quite sure your heretek fits, unless he replaced one of the Marines.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Since the Heretek comes in later, I figured he would logically be from somewhere else, and end up showing up, perhaps to introduce/guide the PCs to the Chaos space marines.  That's why, thematically, he was somewhat designed to work alongside chaos space marines, to reflect a sort of halfway point between the humans and the marines. 

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 26, 2011, 07:15:16 PM
Since the Heretek comes in later, I figured he would logically be from somewhere else, and end up showing up, perhaps to introduce/guide the PCs to the Chaos space marines.  That's why, thematically, he was somewhat designed to work alongside chaos space marines, to reflect a sort of halfway point between the humans and the marines.
But thats not how the story is going to go, the marines and heretics meeting is already outlined and occurs well before the heretek joins the group (which happens when the heretic+CSM party leaves the planet, as i understand it anyway)

HairyHeretic

I suspect we'll want GM input here, as all we'd be doing is guessing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

blegh, trying to come up with a character idea for a savage bomb maker / stabber  renegade is hard. Also, flying to all points american for my job sucks. I'll try to get it in tonight. it may end up being a last minute submittal on sept 30. >.>

stats are happening at least, so I'll be able to work something out with it.

SubmissiveAlpha

Hi. I've been interested in Black Crusade for quite a while now, and own the book(a GenCon Pre-Release  ;D), so I was wondering if the spot for the CSM Champion was taken yet. I thought I'd ask before setting up a character background/concept, on the off chance that it was and I simply missed it.

HairyHeretic

Send your concept through to the GM, he'll pick the group.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

The heretek will come into play just a while after the heretics meet the CSM and will indeed be from off planet. I have two concepts competing for the heretek position, so I'll have a fun time choosing.

So far I have not received any concepts for the Champion, you are welcome to contribute.

As for Mein Fuhrer, no way I am letting a starting character have a Daemon Weapon. Especially with that name, my gramps would be spinning in his coffin, gevalt geshreeyeh!
O/O

The Great Triangle

The weapon fairly specifically isn't a demon weapon, but rather a frozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent.  I'd certainly be happy to pick another name for it, of course, but it's basically a REALLY unlucky dagger that has the ability to kill space marines. 

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PM
The weapon fairly specifically isn't a demon weapon, but rather a frozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent.
This^, I had the same 'wtf daemon weapon?!' moment when i first read it, but i looked it up in the book and its actually a exotic melee weapon, so its a valid choice as far as i know.

The Great Triangle

It steps on the same thematic territory as a daemon weapon, but doesn't have the mechanical power of one, and almost certainly isn't sentient.  My character concept likely would be caught talking to it, but it's really an inanimate object that gets treated like a person.  The item is supposed to be a plot hook, though, since it can cause trouble with its origins, curse, and stubborn unwillingness to be seperated from its owner.

(note that the unwillingness is another thing solely at GM discretion, though, and the item can just as easily go missing at an important point, though it never gets permanently lost no matter how hard the PC tries to get rid of it)

Ons and Offs

Ironwolf85

I've been reading the book and trying to come up with a CSM sorcerer, but...
"AHHHHH MY SKULL HURTS BY THE DARK GODS! THE KNOWLAGE, THE UNFATHONABLE KNOWLAGE!" *splak noise followed by power armor hitting the floor with a dull thud*

Joking aside I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed making a sorcerer for the first time, not to mention being used to playing Imperial Guard, I kinda look at chaos's interpertaions of the lore in the book and thinking "dear merciful god... these guys have their heads even farther up their asses than the Imperial Cult, and THAT is saying somthing!"

I'm kinda feeling sorry for the civs, trapped between a ruthless parinoid theocratic regime and the insane bloodcrazed anarchists who want to bring it down.
Still I am completely rewriting the backstory and I find some of the images hard to look at in the book, the only creatures that don't look so messed up they make me want to shove a chainsword through them are in fact the CSM sorcerers, and perhaps a few cool looking mutants.

seeing an actual character sheet helps me put things togeather too.

I'm thinking about what darkling said about going a marine going rouge, funny thing is, dispite seeing all the horrors of the imperial machine. I can't bring myself to hate the emperor himself even in game.
But the way his wonderful ideals and his progressive, foreward thinking Imperial Creed, has been twisted from a beautiful lantern meant to show mankind the way foreward into a bloody trunchon to bludgeon him into submission, all the while the emperor watches in horror trapped on the golden throne unable to die and be reborn, worshiped as the god he never wanted to be...

the idea was this marine peicing even some of this togeather, imagine what that would do to such a man.

The chapter I liked the most for this future character is the Celestrial Lions, they tried going through the proper channels to demand an investigation into the unsessary inquisitorial glassing of a planet they'd protected. for their trouble, they never got an answer as the inquisition anserws to nobody, their high command on the way to petition the emperor himself was "accidently" blown off course into an ork infested region, and the rest of the chapter was dispatched to armageddion to protect a hive city, a good portion of the chapter was killed on that meatgrinder world, they aren't gone but I'm guessing they are seriously bitter at the inquisition, even if they can't prove anything.
and I like the gold and blues...
so it's either them or the Death Strike chapter... which has little background actually

NotoriusBEN

Nothing elaborate, we can generate plot hooks as we go. I like to start broad and then work in the details as they arise.

Dauskin was one of the people that grew up among the Crom Tribe. A forgotten human world that degenerated into primal survival, where the Gods and the Emporer of Man were nothing more than story tales. As a youth he had a knack for tinkering with tools and weapons. Lostech from ages past were sometimes dug up and he would pry them apart to find out what made them tick. Sometimes he made genuine improvements, but most of the time, it ended in failure or sharp explosion. Others discredited him as a fool for wasting so much energy on trinkets when harvests and supplies for the lean months were paramount.

He wasn’t a strong youth like many of the others, but his quick wit and ruthless tactics at least left him an able fighter of the village. Again the tribe berrated him for trying to hide and attacking a foe, unseen. There was no honor in fighting dirty. “What good is honor to the dead?” He would reply.
In truth, Dauskin was tired of conforming to the daily drudgery and meager survival of living to another day. When the Old Hag mentioned power and prophecy, he lept at the chance to be free of the lesser minded tribesman.

So now here he was, with a few others from the tribe. He didn’t believe they would find whatever it was they were looking for. If anything, they’d come back after a few days, but maybe Dauskin would find a suitable place to set up and break away from the tribe.

Character Sheet
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Dauskin
Race: Human
Archetype: Renegade (+3WS, +3BS)
Pride:  Craftsmanship (+1Inf, +3Ag, +3Int, -3WS, -3BS)
Disgrace:  Destruction (+2Inf, -4Fel)
Motivation: Vengence (+2Wnd, -5Per)
Wounds: 13 10 + 1d5 (1) +2
CHAOS ALLEGIENCES                                                                                                                                                                    .
Khorne  1
Nurgle
Slaneesh
Tzeentch  1

Characteristics
Trait           Base           Allocation       Mods
WS    45          25                 20           +3 -3
BS     25          25                                +3 -3
S       25          25                                 
T       30          25                    5
Ag     48          25                  20          +3
Int     48          25                  20          +3
Per    35          25                  15          -5
WP    45          25                  20
Fel     21          25                                -4
Inf     27         1d5 (5) + 19                +1 +2

Skills
Athletics
Awareness
Common Lore (War)
Dodge
Intimidate
Logic
Operate (Surface)
Parry +10
Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)
Security
Stealth
Tech-Use +10

Talent
Ambidextrous
Catfall
Disarm
Jaded
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Street Fighting
Sure Strike
Weapon Training (Chain, Las, Primary, SP, Bolt)
Heavy Weapon Training (Flame)

Special Rules:
Adroit: Pick a Characteristic. For the rest of the game, that characteristc scores an additional success on any test it is involved in.

Gear:
STILL NEED TO ALLOCATE GEAR AND GET ADDITIONAL GEAR

Purchased Skills, Traits, Talents
Tech-Use +10     350xp   Unaligned
Street Fighting   250xp    Khorne
Logic                  200xp    Tzeentch
Security              200xp   Unaligned

Wargtass

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PMfrozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent

The Frozen Shard is Extremely rare while the Cursed Heirloom only permits Very Rare or less.
O/O

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Wargtass on September 29, 2011, 12:54:51 PM
The Frozen Shard is Extremely rare while the Cursed Heirloom only permits Very Rare or less.
ah wisdom.

Everyone seems to be fully stating their characters out instead of just giving concepts... should i do the same?

Wargtass

I will not look over any stats until I have decided which concepts will be picked. Which I will do in approximately eight hours. If one have not posted a concept until then I must sadly reject further concepts in lieu of planning the encounters and adventure.

To those that is in the panic of coming up and writing their concept, take it easy, you got plenty of hours before I start checking in, no need to rush.
O/O

Ironwolf85

okay here's the concept for Avarius Leonin, former loyalist marine of the Celestrial Lions he supposedly only had minor psychic potental, enough to denote him for further conditioning in loyality to the chapter and the emperor, and get him the marine equilivent of a desk position as protector and cataloger of relics. He was simply a low ranking libarian. He was content with helping his brothers off and a few times on the battlefield, and training the beings and powers of chaos held no lure over him.
That innocence and contentment changed when the Celestrial lions began questioning the inquisition's brutality against civilans they'd saved Albiet through offical channels, even going so far as to try and petition the emperor. the death of their entire command staff due to a "Freak Warp Storm" 80% of the chapter being ground into sausage, and loosing their gene-seeds thanks to suprisingly intelligent ork snipers targeting their apothicaries on armageddion all within a month.
Avarius knew the inquisition was coming for the chapter's reliquaries, and it was the combination of duty, dread, and outrage at the inquisition's (as he saw it) underhanded murder of each of his battle brothers, and of his entire chapter, that finally gave chaos a hold on the Psyker, causing him to turn his back on the Imperium.
Now embracing "the path of glory" he turned over the relics, weapons, and knowalge of the chapter to priates, private collectors, tossed a few into space and the warp for good measure to keep them out of inquisitorial hands, and fled for his life into the Screaming Vortex.
Now this embittered idealist is out for inquisitoral blood, using his psychic powers to face his foes and flay them alive. Dispite this entire ordeal somthing of the conditioning stuck with him, he still believes the emperor cares for his people... but that the inquisition, high lords of terra, and their military machine, keep him trapped upon the golden throne, woshiping him as a god when he clearly is not.

the Imperium must be destroyed to save the emperor.... the golden throne is a jail cell...
the chaos gods must be laughing somewhere

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Wargtass on September 29, 2011, 12:54:51 PM

I took a weapon downgrade (the cursed metal downgrade) to lower the rarity of the weapon by one step, thereby making it very rare, and able to be taken as a cursed heirloom.  If that isn't allowed by the rules, then I'll have to select a new weapon, though I do personally like having a cursed exotic weapon.  If that element of the character is disruptive or takes focus away from the story, I can delete it and select something else, such as outdoors and tracking skills or another minion, for flavor.

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

has anyone heard from warg since being told if you were accepted or not?

Wargtass

I am rewriting some stuff at the moment, plus having alot of work to handle at the moment. I'll have more info coming up on Monday night.
O/O

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Wargtass on October 08, 2011, 08:02:35 PM
I am rewriting some stuff at the moment, plus having alot of work to handle at the moment. I'll have more info coming up on Monday night.
o.o speak of the devil.

Its alright, I was just wondering if i had somehow fallen out of the loop.  ;D

Ironwolf85

Wargtass

Started up a OOC for the players!
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121584.0

Will post the intro soon and put both links in the OOC-thread. Reminding you that players are:

Darkling - Sek the Heretek
HairyHeretic - Tymor the Chosen
frost rose - Tanvi the Apostate
Ironwolf85 - Avarius the Sorcerer
NotoriusBEN - Dauskin the Renegade

Thank you all for showing interest, positions are closed.
O/O

Ironwolf85

getting the hang of character creation!
spells picked, weapons looked over, all traits done, i feel like a kid in a candy store with even my basic equipment.