News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Now this looks like a fun way to eat....

Started by Elvi, April 08, 2008, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7335351.stm

QuoteGermany likes to call itself the "Land of Ideas" - and over the centuries it has certainly had plenty of them. It was Germans who invented the aspirin, the airship, the printing press and the diesel engine.

But Germany has surely never produced anything quite as weird as the automated restaurant.

Now I would love to try this, but would it actually be better than having a waiter/waitress or simply be just somewhere to eat for the novelty value?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Greenthorn

I love the idea..way futuristic, although the theme song to Laverne and Shirley came to mind *laughs*

QuoteYou can even use the computers to send e-mails and text messages while you wait for the food to be cooked.

I'm seeing an easy way to do some flirting with the guy across the floor  :o  And me being the flirt I am..I WANNA GO!!

SerpentKiss

It is an intriguing idea. I like how you can go and look up about all the things you're about to eat. "This is Stefan...he's a baby cow now, but when he grows up, he's going to be just like his mum...on your plate!"

I do see a couple of drawbacks though. The food goes down on a roller-coaster, suspended above people. My first problem with this is what if it stops or there's a power cut or something? If the lids aren't sealed properly, especial with things like soup, sauces and the like, it's gonna get a jolt as it stops, with a high likelihood of stuff spilling...onto the customers below.

The second thing is the absence of waiters. They almost add security to it. I mean, you need someone who can assure you that the right stuff has been brought to you. And also...what stops people from walking out? Or quickly taking food as it passes? There's also the safety of kids fingers.

I suggest rather than this zany scheme, they come up with something plausible and ask Area 51 for the matter teleporter when they're done with it.

Elvi

Well.....
The Germans (in general) don't have a problem with knowing here their food comes from, they have an interest in what they eat and knowing where it comes from. I have been in places where they have had details of their produce on the menus in written form, so that's nothing new for them.

There is no electricity involved, the food is sent down with the use of gravity.

The food is paid for in advance, so unless you want to pay for your meal and then run away, that problem is solved.

Each table has it's own 'track', so unless someone is going to hover around your table, then stealing your food shouldn't be a problem.

All the other stuff is equivalent to what would/could happen in other places.

The food containers have secure lids, which are hard to not lock into place.
(And I guess a waiter could trip and pour your food over you too?)
The containers are labelled and are placed on the correct track, so you should get the right food.
(Then again I have had the wrong food given to me by a waiter and it wasn't exactly a huge problem)
The German's are very safety concious, I would have thought that the issues of people being hurt (as you have described..fingers caught etc) would have been dealt with.

As for staff?
Well you have a top up card to pay for the food, so I assume there is a place to pay for it.
Someone needs to clear tables, mop up spills, help those who are confused when trying to order, so I doubt the place would be devoid of people...

SerpentKiss

Guess I'll just stay out of any conversation then

Elvi

*looks confused*
I answered the points that you raised Serpent, (most of which were actually answered in the news clip in any case), is there some sort of problem with that?

EmergentHierarch

I'll take service from a human being, please.  Is the service in Germany really so bad that it makes more sense to phase out the waitstaff than to keep them around?  Yeesh. 
"That's the kind of wooly-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten!"
EmergentHierarch's Ons and Offs

Jefepato

You mean soon I'll even be able to eat at a restaurant without dealing with people?

Life just keeps getting better and better.

Trieste

Quote from: EmergentHierarch on May 31, 2008, 07:49:58 PM
I'll take service from a human being, please.  Is the service in Germany really so bad that it makes more sense to phase out the waitstaff than to keep them around?  Yeesh. 

Welllll... for me, it's a 50/50 shot as to whether I'll get decent service or not. Not only that, but I see many waitstaff (especially in the winter) who look dead on their feet, who are so sick that they should have stayed home. I understand not being able to afford to take the time off, but these people are dealing with my food. I don't want a sick person near my food. Yes, I know the kitchen staff still could be sick, but it at least cuts down on microbes.

And that's my pet peeve of the day, I think. *bows*

Elvi

It's a gimmick, it's a 'fun' way to eat.
Have sushi express taken over the world, no waiters there.....

And no, Emergent, From the times I have spent in Germany, I would say that the standards of service given is by far better than any other country I have visited, including my own.
Though contrary to popular belief, the Germans are, in my opinion, fun loving people who enjoy innovation....

Sherona

QuoteThough contrary to popular belief, the Germans are, in my opinion, fun loving people who enjoy innovation....

we are??? :P hehee

loki

now that would be fun to go and eat there just to say that you did. but I'm still kinda partial to the human contact, while it would be fun I wouldn't want it to be like that everywhere. I think that you would loose something if it was all over. but I love the idea of it all.
O&O

Mathim

MAN! As if it's not hard enough to find a job already...this'll put tons of service people out of work.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).