Mage: The Ascention

Started by Plot Hooks, September 23, 2011, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plot Hooks

I want to run a Mage game.

It will feature a group of tradition mages as PCs.   Three players tops, one minimum.   Cannon setting as of Mage revised.   I may consider using a rules-lite system such as PDQ, or wind up abstracting a shit-ton.   I am not a crunch-heavy GM and prefer to focus on narrative rather than rules.

As this is World of Darkness, some horror and non-con elements may or may not come into play.   However, this is not going to be a game centered around sex.    I have an epic story to tell!
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Starlequin

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Plot Hooks

Sweet.

Since Mage revised only goes up to like 1999 or so, I'll provide some filler information.

The Ascention War is basically over.   While there is the occasional skirmish, the Technocracy has won, for the most part.   That's not to say that the traditions have rolled over, but for the most part, they've taken a turtling strategy.   The most active participants in the ongoing resistance against the technocracy are the virtual adepts and Sons of Ether, and they've managed a modicum of success.

Even so, The Technocracy faces little real opposition.   Yet, the time-table is still being constantly revised backwards.   This is due to the schisms that are developing in the Technocratic Union due to lack of a common enemy.   The Avatar storm makes communication with elders difficult, and each faction continues to blindly follow their own agendas, and the cracks in the monolith are beginning to show.

This should be well and good for the Traditions,  but ominous portents have Traditionalist and Technocrat alike worried.   A strange red star has appeared in the sky, though it remains unobservable to the mundane observer.    A new great Maelstrom rages through the underworld.   The orbiting station of Iteration X has begun to become more active, and it has become a subject of concern among the other Technocrats.   In 2004, a mysterious sink-hole swallowed a large section of London.   At least, that's the official story.   Rumors abound in the supernatural community about the rising of another Andelluvian.   The protectors of the world nervously wait and plot during this time of relative peace as they anxiously wait for the other shoe to drop...

"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Starlequin

Sounds marvy. I don't think i have any books for Ascension (all i have is Awakening), but I'm going into town in a little while and ill see if i can find a copy. Should have a CS ready sometime tonight, probably a Virtual Adept if that's acceptable.

I do hope we get a couple more players, though.

Lycan Queen

My boyfriend (Zeon Twilight) and I are interested. I'm currently on my phone, but he doesn't get internet on his. What we'd like to know is are we going to make full character sheets?

And you're not very likely to find the books nowadays, there weren't many in print. I know Ascension pretty well and can help teach.

Senti

If there is room I am in, I have the books somewhere.

Starlequin

Well, I'm not exactly going to look for a hard copy...but any pointers would still definitely be appreciated.

Plot Hooks

I'm willing to expand to 4 peeps, Senti.

Yea, I'd like you make full character sheets, but I'm basically going to use them for narrative judgements rather than make you keep track of them after you start.   As I said before, I'm going to abstract the he'll out of this in order to make it run smoother on PBP.   I want it to read like a novel.     If you guys collaborate and make a cohesive backstory that will give you a reason to stick togather, you all get 5bp.    I will award 2bp for listing 3 'allies' and 3 rivals, each with a sentence or two description of who they are.

Lycan Queen

Sounds like a plan! Zeon and I will be discussing character ideas on the way home, but feel free to send me a PM.

Senti

Thank you very much I will get something together.

Plot Hooks

Almost forgot: a little dab of glue for you guys...   The game will begin in Austin, Texas.  Both the Order of Reason and the Traditions use the University of Texas as recruiting grounds.   

Lycan Queen

Ooooh, interesting! A wealth of ideas. Now, anyone got any basic ideas down?

Senti

I can fit in however, I am easy....at least thats what they say :)

Sillyness aside I can fill in gaps. I can play most characters though just find it hard to do men.

Lycan Queen

Before we get designing, are there any merits and/or flaws that are immediately banned? (Like True Faith)

Plot Hooks

Not off the top of my head.   I would ask that you limit yourself to 7 points of flaws, though.

Lycan Queen

Gotcha! We'll be home in about an hour or two. Zeon is leaning towards either a Euthanatos or a Virtual Adept, and I'm eyeing either a Sons of Ether or Cult of Ecstasy.

Starlequin

I just got home from the hospital, so I should be going to town soon to download the books, then ill work on my char. Still leaning toward a VA, maybe a teachers assistant or campus worker, or maybe just an Austin weirdo, lol. I'm with Senti though; I can work with whatever comes before me..

Plot Hooks

Senti

I will try to get character done this weekend but I have kids so weekends are less easy to work with. But should be able to get something together.

Muse

Doh. 

Wish I'd jumped in here while there were still openings.  *Sweat drop* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zoe Twinscythe

I'm the one Lycan Queen mentioned, just wanted to pop in and mention that I am indeed a real person (And not dead at that.) Is there any way everyone here could maybe get together to talk about being a cohesive group? (Thus making it a little easier on the GM no doubt ^_^;;)

Callie Del Noire

Wish I had seen this earlier.

Starlequin

Well, I got a few of the books (core, VA, and Technocracy), now I just need to get home, lol. I wouldn't mind a little collab chatter, either. Group PMs,, anyone?

Zoe Twinscythe

I prefer Skype myself, but Group PM works too.

Starlequin

*sigh*...I don't have Skype. It's either PMs here, or email for me, and I really, really dont wanna go through signing in for email on this phone. It's a pain and a half.