Truth, Justice and Brownies if you got 'em (Superheroes, MHR)

Started by Guancyto, December 26, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

It would probably be fitting for your character's general flavor to tack on Mystic Resistance d8 to your Self Experimentation power set as well, in that case.  Most mystical characters seem to have a general resistance to having magic be used against them, from what I'm seeing.

Premier

That wouldn't fit her, because if she was resistant she'd have more difficulty experimenting on herself. I'll leave that to more something I might use a PP on, rather than an all the time thing. She's got Sorcery, she can do a protection spell in she really needs it but fighting mystical forces isn't really her go to thing. It just happens sometimes.

A nice suggestion though!

Premier

How's the milestones by the way? I wasn't sure what exactly was appropriate so I gave it my best guess.

Kunoichi

Keeping in mind what wander said about the frequency with which Milestones can be cashed in, the 1 XP and 3 XP options on Finishing the Great Project both seem like things that you'd only really be hitting once in any given scene, to be honest.  Stealing the 1 XP option from Reed Richards' 'For Science!' Milestone might be a fun alternate option, though in your case you'd want to add on your Mystic specialty to it as well.

Insecure (Even for a cat) looks great, though. ^^

Premier

Don't have the books in front of me so don't know what that says!

The Great Project milestone is meant to be about what she wants (Insecure is who she is) and that's to work towards becoming the perfect being her Creator wanted her to be. Would the Reed Richards ones fit into that?

Kunoichi

The one from Reed Richards is '1 XP when you reveal a new stunt associated with your Medical, Science or Tech Specialties.'  You'd probably want to add Mystic onto that list if you decided to take it.  Since it's explicitly only for new stunts, it could be used to represent your character gradually gaining more knowledge about how the universe works and how to apply it for a wide variety of purposes, thus bringing herself one step closer to Perfection each time it applies...

Alternately, you might also try changing the wording on your existing 1 XP listing a bit to give it the same overall feel, but make it so that it applies more often.  Tying it to a game mechanic might be one good way to do it; for example, having an ally spend 1 PP to activate that one special effect of yours and make use of a Science or Tech resource that you've created might be one way to help out another character while also learning something to improve yourself in the process, right?

Premier

That was the intention yeah! It’s actually just a sneaky way of saying “Use your friends as lab rats” but in a way that’s actually Tabitha being nice. I'll think on it.

Kunoichi

Ab, then you could probably just make it '1 XP when an ally becomes a test subject by making use of a resource created through your Medical, Mystic, Science or Tech specialties.' and it would work just fine. ^^

wander

*fistbumps Kunoichi*

I'll be popping out for the day fairly soon, though when I'm back I'll post my character this evening. I remember when I last looked him over I was wondering about changing their Distinctions. I've generally been fairly happy with him though. :)

Premier

Thanks for the help! I guess I have a character now. I like the creation system too, really helped me flesh them out properly

Crash

I think I will bow out.  You have plenty of characters and I can't seem to come up with a concept I love right now.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

wander

Kitt;
Formerly a shy and artistic geek of a guy, due to a quirk of fate, had his long dormant alien gene from past ancestors awakened, bleaching his skin marble-white and turning his hair a dark shade of navy-blue. He has a guilt-complex (he also suffers from dissociation and in the middle of action just stop or have his reactions dulled, he has been compared due to his marble skin to a statue more than once), perhaps for some past event he at present doesn't wish to share. He tends to blame issues on himself rather than the root cause whenever he manage it... Because of this he appears as mopey and likes to sleep in. He comes out when he can see he's being useful and dreams of being a big hero and finding some acceptance in his life.

http://orig03.deviantart.net/0ed3/f/2011/040/9/b/back_in_black___ulquiorra_by_byaku17-d395x8h.jpg

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Affiliations
Solo d8, Buddy d10, Team d6

Distinctions;
Illusive Artist
Jumps the Gun
Gawky Otaku

Power-Set: Warp Bubbles
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Senses d8
Invisibility d8
Teleport d8

Sfx: Over-reaching: Add a doom die to a dicepool that uses a Warp Bubble power. Step it up before adding it. Return the stepped up die back to the doompool after rolling.

sfx: Big Damn Hero Moment: Spend 1PP for another player to use a Warp Bubble die in their dicepool. If the character happens to take stress, take d6 emotional stress.

Limit: Zones Out: Recieve a dissociation complication to gain a PP. This complication may be stepped up in future turns for additional PP.

Specialties;
Cosmic Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Science Expert d8

Milestones;

Professional Slacker
1xp: when you make an attempt to go against doing something disagreeable, rather than just doing it.
3xp: when you recover stress by sleeping
10xp: when you make a hard sacrifice for someone you care about or you forsake your relationship for something meaningful to you.

Guilt-Complex
1xp: when you self-deprecate.
3xp: when you activate 'Dissociation' for a Plot Point.
10xp: when you realise the major trouble happening is not your fault after all or you face a major defeat specifically down to the actions you took.

LuckyLukin

I'm having difficulty coming up with a character from the disparate elements that I have.

Primary Abilities

Fighting: Excelent

Agility: Good

Strength: Typical

Endurance: Feeble

Reason: Excellent

Intuition: Remarkable

Pyche: Remarkable

Powers

Resistance to Radiation (100 Remarkable)
Body Alterations/Defensive (Recovery)
Body Alterations/Offensive (Extra Body Parts)

Tallents

Professional: Psychiatry
Fighting Skills: Martial Arts E

My biggest issue is that this is supposed to be a Hi-Tech hero, so I'm having difficulty in figuring out how this would work. Like what equipment would it be and how would he/she have come by it?

Kunoichi

Quote from: LuckyLukin on January 06, 2016, 06:44:36 PM
I'm having difficulty coming up with a character from the disparate elements that I have.

I think that you're looking at the wrong system entirely, actually.  It looks like you're working on a character for the old TSR Marvel RPG, but the game is being run with a more recent system known as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

LuckyLukin

Then that would make sense. I'll take a look for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, hopefully that'll be the right one and I'll get a character together from there.

ShadowFox89

Well, if work is slow tomorrow, I'll work on milestones and a backstory for Whitney....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

After thinking over my Affiliations for a bit, I decided that they weren't that good a fit for Ace and decided to reshuffle them around on my character sheet.  Acting as someone else's partner tends to end up with Ace getting captured and tied up, and occasionally suspended in some death trap or something like that, so I lowered her Buddy Affiliation to d6.  I'm thinking she had her own solo series for a time where she was much more successful, though, so her Solo Affiliation is getting raised to d10, and that leaves a d8 for Team, which I think I can justify pretty easily by coming up with wacky names for super-groups that she's either cooperated with or been a part of, like the time-traveling League of Future Super-Heroes, or the Teen Titans-esque Sidekick Society of America. :P

I also decided to change her Invulnerability SFX to be pierced through by mystical attacks, since she's already got a Limit focused on the fact that being a creation of magic makes her rather weak to magical effects, herself.

Name: Ace the Wonder-Girl

Affiliations:
Solo         d10
Buddy      d6
Team      d8

Distinctions:
Comic Book Superhero
Extraterrestrial Powerhouse
Vivacious Maiden of Venus

Power Sets:
RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION
- Gamma Laser Eyebeams d8
- Space Flight d12
- Radiation Resistance d10
- X-Ray Vision d10
SFX: Laser Eyebeam Sweep. When making an attack action that includes the Gamma Laser Eyebeams die in the pool, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Radiation Absorption. On a successful reaction against a Radiation-based attack action, convert your opponent's effect die into a RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION stunt or step up a RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this stunt if your opponent's action succeeds.
SFX: Radiation Boost. Shutdown your highest rated RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power to step up another RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power by +1. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Conscious Activation. If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION. Recover RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION when stress is recovered or you awake. If Physical Trauma is taken, shutdown RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION until trauma is recovered.
Limit: Empty Reserves. Shutdown any RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Venusite! My Only Weakness! When in the presence of the fictional radioactive element Venusite, change any RADIATION TRANSMOGRIFICATION power into a complication and gain 1 PP.  Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY
- Superhuman Durability d10
- Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound d10
- Enhanced Reflexes d8
- Superhuman Senses d10
- Godlike Stamina d12
- Godlike Strength d12
SFX: Comic Book Super-Strength. Double Godlike Strength for an action. If the action fails, add the highest-rolling die to the doom pool.
SFX: Impulsive. Add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY power, you may move your Physical Stress to the doom pool and step up the VENUSIAN PHYSIOLOGY power by +1 for this action.
SFX: Venusian Invulnerability. Spend 1 PP to ignore Physical Stress or Trauma results unless caused by mystical attacks.
Limit: Mystical Construct. Step up stress or complications caused by any mystical attack to gain 1 PP.
Limit: Sidekick Syndrome. Step up any complication that would entrap or restrict your movements (including hypnotism and mind control) or use only the single highest-rolling die when calculating reactions against attempts to create or step up such complications and gain 1 PP. Additionally, you cannot use Godlike Strength as part of the die pool when attempting to remove such complications.
Limit: Venusite Poisoning. When suffering a Venusite complication, shutdown Superhuman Durability, Enhanced Reflexes, and Godlike Stamina and take d6 Physical stress per turn. Recover the power traits upon removing the complication.

Specialties:
Cosmic Master d10
Psych Expert d8
Science Expert d8
Tech Expert d8

Milestones:
Living Fiction
1 XP when you are stymied or confounded by some aspect of real world technology or culture.
3 XP when someone uses their knowledge of the comic book world you are from to inflict Stress or Complications upon you.
10 XP when you successfully find a means to return to your original, fictional Earth, or you decide to give up the search and make a new, permanent home as a hero on this Earth instead.

Silver Age Sensibilities
1 XP when you make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers or use an antiquated exclamation in place of swearing.
3 XP when you pretend to fall for a villain's tricks in order to trick them into revealing their evil schemes, or you try to convince others to do the same.
10 XP when your outdated notions of heroism lead you to cause a major disaster, or when they lead you to stop a major disaster and save the day.

Guancyto

...is it wrong that I really want to make a villain that's a robotic wind turbine who also really likes comic books, so their first line can be, "Ace! I'm a huge fan!"

(This should also prepare you for the caliber of jokes in this game.)

Wander, I like your submission, consider the position of dam- er, dude in distress to be filled.

ReijiTabibito

So, basically Air Man from MM2 combined with Freakazoid's Fanboy?

As per GM advice, I'm scrapping the current Milestone Darclight has (Foe of the Deathmarks), which means now I need 2 Milestones to come up with...

...inspiration?  Are you there?  Can you be speaking through other people?

Kunoichi

Milestones really seem to be the toughest part of character creation for a lot of people (myself included). ^^;

Premier

Two ways to do them by my guess.

Either as a set of "Who I am?" and "What I want?" milestones. So one is centered on your characters personality and the other on what they want out of life.

Other is "What I want?" and "Why do I want it?". So what they want out of life and whatever messed up thing in the past that got them to that point (That'll keep turning up of course)

Since Darclight seems to be the Straight Man of the group, maybe go with that and another milestone about doing your Duty vs Remaining true to friends? Depends on how you want to play the character I guess!

wander

There was, back in the day of 2012, a thread on rpg.net called something like 'Help with Milestones' and it talked about all kinds of ways to help out with that. There may be some googling you can do of fanpages that may inspire too.

Another thing is to look at everyone else's Milestones here, maybe check out some datafiles you can find online, see how they were made and maybe even take some bits and pieces from other sources and reskin them.

Kitt's Guilt-Complex Milestone is very similar if not just a reskin of one of Reed Richard's Milestones, for example.

ReijiTabibito

I do have one idea for a Milestone, depending on what the GM has to say about it - and it would also help determine whether or not I have to change one of Darclight's Distinctions.  Maybe two.

One of the ideas I had - since at the current moment, Team is leading as Darclight's d10 Affiliation - was that he led a superhero team at some point in the history of the universe prior to now.  When all the bad guys were locked up, the team disbanded, and a couple of them actually left Earth to head for other places to fight evil (while Darclight stayed behind).

With this breakout, one of Darclight's goals would be to put that team back together.  Not necessarily with the same members (unless one of the other players wants to have been on that team as well), but reform and announce to the world that they're back and ready to make the bad guys run.  The only issue is that I worry if that's going to happen automatically, which isn't quite the point of a Milestone.

GM?  What do you think?  Yes/no?

wander

You could have one based around reliving past glories or leaving the past behind?

Another one could be about dealing with doing things on your own rather than have a team behind you, long as you don't go Lone Wolf it could be interesting.

Things to ask yourself are... If your character was in a team book and an issue was dedicated to a subplot of theirs, that they were in a filler issue dealing with their one day out... What kind of plots would you want to cover if you were writing that issue/series?

ReijiTabibito

Not quite that first one.  Robots aren't really given to emotional, nostalgic things.

I was flipping through the canon datafiles I have on hand to get some inspiration - Iron Man's Bleeding Edge Tech might be something worthwhile.  1xp for shutting down a Power; 3xp for recovering a Power Set after using an SFX, or after shutting down all the powers in a set; 10xp for ditching the armor or defeating a villain with all powers shutdown.

Hmmmm...