Lockheed-Martin Hybrid Airship

Started by Zakharra, June 19, 2015, 06:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

http://www.janes.com/article/52319/paris-air-show-2015-lockheed-martin-unveils-new-heavy-lift-hybrid-airship

This could be very interesting if it gets built. It would be a startling change to see slow moving airships majestically cruising through the air overhead. 20 tons doesn't seem like much compared to what a train or ship can haul, but as I understand it, it is a good amount of weight to haul by air. And given it's a blimp/zeppelin/airship(whatever the terminology is), it can haul cargoes at a cheaper, albeit slower rate, cost per mile/kilometer than regular aircraft. Plus it would be able to hover over the target and not need an airfield. That capability would be very useful indeed.

mia h

They seem to have been talking about new airships for what seems like forever, but for what I remember airships are dependent on good weather far more than conventional aircraft. Because of thier size they are more greatly effected by strong winds and because they are relatively slow moving they have problems avoiding storm fronts etc. So I think there are very strong concerns about the commercial viability of these airships.

Although if they do get the kinks worked out, maybe we could see the return of flying aircraft carriers.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Oniya

The airship used to be considered a form of luxury flight - well-apportioned cabins, fine dining - less of a 'need to get there' and more of an 'enjoy the trip' sort of thing.  Almost like cruise liners in a sense.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zakharra

Quote from: mia h on June 20, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
They seem to have been talking about new airships for what seems like forever, but for what I remember airships are dependent on good weather far more than conventional aircraft. Because of thier size they are more greatly effected by strong winds and because they are relatively slow moving they have problems avoiding storm fronts etc. So I think there are very strong concerns about the commercial viability of these airships.

Although if they do get the kinks worked out, maybe we could see the return of flying aircraft carriers.

Like Castle Wulfenbach:

A US Helicarrier:

The SHIELD Helicarrier:

or the ARES Goliath from War of the Worlds:

( with the too ) 

Which one?

mia h

They looked like this

The USS Akron and USS Macon, both were in service for a couple of years in the mid 1930's before they were both destroyed in accidents. They took the wheels off the bi-planes that flew from the carriers to save weight, because they were launched and released from the underside of the airship the wheels weren't needed.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Ryven

All I can think of is the "Skytanic" episode from Archer.

Parker

The Darpa WALRUS project was along these lines, and set a lot of people's imaginations on fire as well.

Lots of potential, in this kind of technology.