Interest Check Mage/Changling the Lost crossover game

Started by Kathadon, October 03, 2009, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathadon

This is to gauge the interest here on E for a Mage the Ascension and Changling the Lost crossover game.
After reading the book Moonheart by Charles de Lint I have been inspired to run such a game based in St. Louis. With Halloween fast approaching I've decided to base the events of the chronical around the haunted Lemp Mansion and St. Louis's budding China Town.

Some Background info: When John Adam Lemp arrived in St. Louis from Eschwege, Germany in 1838, he seemed no different from the thousands of other immigrants who poured into the Gateway to the West during the first half of the 19th century. Lemp originally sought his fortune as a grocer. But his store was unique for its ability to supply an item sold by none of his competitors - lager beer. Lemp had learned the art of brewing the effervescent beverage under the tutelage of his father in Eschwege, and the natural cave system under St. Louis provided the perfect temperature for aging beer. Lemp soon realized that the future of lager beer in America was as golden as the brew itself, and in 1840 he abandoned the grocery business to build a modest brewery at 112 S. Second Street. The brewery enjoyed marvelous success and John Adam Lemp died a millionaire.

The Lemp Mansion was built in the early 1860's and was subsequently purchased by William J. Lemp as a residence and auxiliary brewery office. Although it was already an impressive structure, Lemp used his massive brewery fortune to turn the thirty-three room house into a Victorian showplace.

On Grand Ave. the old Lemp Mansion overlooks Tower Grove park. The once grand home was in recent years converted to lofts and retail store fronts to draw tourists to the neighborhood. Despite or because of the locations dark past and half joking rumors of hauntings and odd occurrences within.

One store front sits with its windows caked with dust and grime. The plain hand painted sign above the door reads in English, Chinese and Vietnamese:

Yin Wu's Antiquities, Electronics and Pawn

A small plastic open sign with a clock face next to it hangs in the window. It reads "Sorry we missed you. Will be back at 12:00" but the hands never move, and the shop has always been open day or night. This is where the story begins.

A brief examples of possible Player races:

Human: Most players will be normal humans at the beginning. These are what I like to call the scobbies, after the old Bufffy show. Divided into three classes: Toughs (examples: Cops, bikers, gang bangers, private detectives, martial artists, ex-military), Experts (a student or teacher at Mizzou (Missouri State) or SLU.), Extras (anything else including minor psychics).

Changlings:Changelings refer to themselves as "the Lost": they were kidnapped by the immortal Fae, taken to an alien realm, and held prisoner. While trapped in Faerie (referred to as their "Durance"), they were forced to serve their otherworldly masters and endure servitude ranging from menial labour to torture. In being dragged through the Hedge to Faerie, some essential piece of their humanity was torn away by the thorns of the Hedge, and over the course of their Durance, they are forced to forge compacts with the realm that triggers a change in their physical and metaphysical nature to survive under the twisted laws underpinning Faerie.

Many escape only to find that in their place has been left a Fetch, faerie simulacrum forged from leaves, twigs, and other debris, and that their experience of the passage of time may be greatly different from the passage of time on Earth since their theft. While some will seek to kill and replace the Fetch in hopes of reclaiming their lives, many more discover that either the world or their selves have altered far too much to resume where they left off.

Living magic: Magic is cast by taking the power of a mage's mind and reshaping it into a new form. Magician's may call this "casting" or "conjuring" but what they are really doing is creating a mental structure, in effect a MIND. Usually the spell is a highly structured mental energy, like an invisible computer program, preset to perform a specific function. Sometimes however there is a chance for powerful magic to evolve. To become self aware.

Such self aware spells might learn to take on a physical form and moderate and control their effects. Some develop obsessive personalities often base on their creator's and/or on the nature of the spell.Most intelligent spells remain invisible, and intangible. Some take on suitable physical forms, from animals to humans to the monstrous. All the better to effect the world they now inhabit.

This is a very rare occurrence and few mages are aware of it ever happening outside of a few rumors and hear-say. Only powerful and long lasting spells typically have a infinitesimal chance of developing their own personality, a process that takes decades.

Mages: Everyone has the capacity, at some level, to shape reality. This capacity, personified as a mysterious alter-ego called the Avatar, is dormant in most people, who are known as sleepers, whereas Mages (and/or their Avatars) are said to be Awakened. Because they're awakened, Mages can consciously affect changes to reality via willpower, beliefs, and specific magical techniques.

Anyone interested?

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Senti

Kathadon

Great some interest!

If we can get four more players it be great.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

My BDSM test results.

Kate

Pumpkin Seeds

I only have the Changeling books myself but if possible I can throw my chips on the table.

Senti

Mr Self Destruct

Will this be system or freeform?  I'm likely going to play a Changeling, though I'm good for either style of plan.  I just hate online dice rollers because they always kick me in the nuts when I need a terrific roll. lol

DariusDark

New here, so I don't have anything set up yet... but I'd love to actually try out a Mage game, got the books but haven't got a chance to try them yet.

Kathadon

I'm afraid after getting laid off Monday, and starting my new job tonight on a swing shift, that I will not have the time to start a game, sadly.

Thank you all for the interest and I will keep you all in mind when my life settles into a schedule I can predict.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

My BDSM test results.