Interest Check: Mage roleplay, Medieval-style [Mul]

Started by Inkidu, November 01, 2008, 07:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I was thinking of doing a free-form, all mage role play. A cultural, political, maybe warfare thing with at least three nations.
The focus will be on mages so it would help if everyone applying would be a mage. Positions will be open for rulers and the like.
I originally thought of three schools because, I really cannot think of another original style of magic. So without further ado, lets get this detailed.

The School of High Magic: What is considered, and that is to say by the practitioners, the traditional school of magic. All others are either plebeian or an affront to nature. It entails the manipulation of the four elements. Some argue it is the derivative of druidism. However, high mages will deny this with every breath. High magic is practical and formulaic unlike ritualistic druidism. They live in cities that are clockwork compounds with magically run machinery. Their leader is the Mage-King or Queen. A high born with power bred into him or her through political wheeling and dealing. The High Mage capital is the city of Citadelia. Sights include the Library Arcane, and the Grand Castle. They have a religion, of serving Mantik the Mage-God. They are the largest and most political.

Druidism: Nature magic in it's most basic of components. Animal calling, tree manipulation, or singing, transformation. Weather manipulation. It is ritualistic and steeped in tradition. Druids can talk to nature and animals the more complex the mind the harder it is to convince or again sing. So other humans are impossible to control because of their own thoughts and feelings. Druids serve the in a council called the Tribunal of the Seasons, overseen by the High Priest or Priestess. They live in abbey like forest dwellings and make pilgrimages to worship the Tree of Beginning in the capital Mysanal. They are the second-largest and actually most defensive.

Necromancy: Necromancers are the most shadowy cult of magic obviously. They deal in the balance of life and death. Said to be a horrible offshoot of druidism. Many myths and stories circulate among common non-mages about child eating. Necromancers are a tight woven and very loyal group. Always calling each other brother, or sister unless intimate. They deal in corpse reanimation manipulation of bones, and muscle and other macabre arts. To bring a being back to life is not possible and even if it was they'd see it as an atrocity to the balance.
Necromancers have more macabre appearances as well. Though white hair is actually a physically attractive trait not dye. Despite the rumors they do not live in swamps or jungles but on mountainous steppes. They are the most combative of the mage clans but the smallest.
The capital city is carved into a mountain called Zheeter'deen. They are ruled by a autocratic judge called the Grand Arbiter. They worship the bone dragon Kush-le-Kull.

I'm not holding anyone to patriotism you can be a rogue but life won't be easy. Slavers run rampart in the land and some rogue mages like to have little slave kingdoms that buy there sovereignty.

No real character sheet required. Just remember to limit yourself on magic use, only rulers would have any extraordinary power.

So here it goes.

Name
Appearance: (Words please, try to nail down key points if you don't feel descriptive: Face, eyes, hair, body, clothes)
Limits: Link to the O's and O's is fine.

I was thinking Van to NC-H

Am always open to a new school. I can always write something up.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Anything anyone would like to see in this role play. I'm open for suggestions this is sort of open beta, so to speak.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Doomsday

Sounds interesting, but what do your tags mean? And there are many schools of magic:

Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Evocation, Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation. Those are D&D classes, but taking from Heroes of Might and Magic, it'd be simpler to go

Druidism, Necromancy, Chaos, Law. I'm sure you can think of many different schools, but here's some ideas.

Inkidu

Each school has there own spells for conjuration. Druidism: Ents, High: Elementals, Necromancy: Well you know.

Evocation, enchantment, illusion all fit into the three schools as types of spells. What makes a school a school in this universe, is that it takes a entirely different philosophy to magic.

Druidism: Nature

High Magic: The more traditional form of magic

Necromancy: The dead

It would have to have it's own different philosophy.

Abjuration? How is that magical? Unless you were to consider it spell breaking. Still a skill within schools.

Inkidu

I feel I might not have offered sufficient explanation.

For example: Illusion is not a school but a skill or discipline. A necromancer might curse the eyes of the looker subtly to trick his eyes. A druid might camouflage himself in a forest using trees and vines, or transform into a rabbit. A high mage would use air magic to bend the light around him to make himself, but not his shadow, invisible.

So most skills are shared in one form. However, unless a druid summons a Great Eagle or a Necromancer a bone drake. Only the High Mage can fly through manipulation of air magic.

The drawback to High Magic is it takes longer to prepare the spells. They often have them infused into scrolls for later use. The scroll is of course destroyed.

Necromancy only requires prep in summonings. Wards have to be placed. Druidism needs none, but an animal has to be in the area, or a tree. And it takes stamina to transform, more than any other school.