Recruiting: The Village of Whispers (Updated with rules - seeking all)

Started by Dariusfallenstar, February 24, 2014, 09:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dariusfallenstar

The Village of Whispers

Current Character Breakdown:
Innocents: 2 - Dariusfallenstar and Nymphadora. Actively seeking. Goal 4-5
Investigators: 2 - Chaosfox and CurvyKitten. Passively seeking. Goal 2-3
Tempters: (A hidden number). Actively seeking. Goal 2-4 (including players who have multiple characters)
Admins: 2 - Dariusfallenstar. Actively seeking 3 more.

We've had plenty of interest. Please visit our OOC characters thread to post your character and review current players.

Seeking: We're open to people able to commit to 1-2 posts per week. People who are interested should be comfortable with posting at least 150-250 words per post (about three solid paragraphs) and able to write descriptive erotica with some degree of skill. Ideally, we're going to balance the genders of the characters. We're currently wide open on the number of participants, too, considering that plot duties are going to be divided between myself and other admins.

Backstory and Setting: This supernatural story takes place in a village "somewhere" beyond the reach of modern civilization. Because of the nature of the corruptive powers inherit in the village, it gradually changes locations - moving every so often to find opportune victims (more on this later) for its unknowable purpose. The village itself seems to have been lifted from some tropical paradise, and comes equipped with enough amenities to make the place equal to any resort. However, the village has no access to the outside world (no cellular phones, no TV reception, etc.)

Corruptive Influence: While within the confines of the village people face near-constant temptation to give into some sort of corruption. This corruption is not specifically sexual (though this is E, so it tends that way) but is more of a spiritual thing. People are tempted to give into whatever darkness is naturally inside of them. This can take multiple forms, from angry violence to truly depraved lust. The source of this corruption is mysterious, even to the administrators of the village (though they appear to know more than they are sharing), and somewhat esoteric. Players in this game can use the force on their characters as they see fit, in addition to the temptations other players and NPCs bring to the table (see Tempters, below). This game is not all about becoming dark and wicked, however. Characters can grow less corrupt and attain a level of purity that the village cannot wash away (with significant effort).

Odd Powers: Being corrupted has many benefits. As the inhabitants of the village give way to the temptations offered by the Village, they begin to grow more powerful. Think of this as somewhere between low-powered Marvel characters and Heroes. The powers gained in the village are permanent, even if people become less corrupt or leave. This may allow this game to grow into a Phase 2 stage, exploring what happens to the once-inhabitants outside of the village.

Types of Characters: We're interested in several archetypes of characters (though you may play the gray areas between the types if you wish).

• Innocents: (PCs) Characters that are currently morally pure. These can be of any age or nationality. Innocents either stumble onto the village or are lured/sent there by Tempters.
  • Investigators:(PCs) Characters that have heard of the village and come to investigate. Investigators are usually already a little corrupt, and should be mature but of any nationality. Investigators seek the village out or are lured there by Tempters.
  • Tempters: (PCs or NPCs) Characters that have been in the village long enough to become corrupt. Tempters gain power by tempting others to give into corruption, and can enter or leave the village freely. Players can have a Tempter in addition to their "main" character. Tempters may or may not work with Administrators.
  • Administrators:(NPCs only, played by myself or designated individuals) Administrators are the people who are somewhat aware of the true nature and purpose of the village. They work in mysterious ways and are the official "heads" of the place. They have abilities that allow them to repair or move the village as needed, along with a few subtle powers, but are not gods; they were born human, too.

Character Corruption System: Let's keep this simple - Corruption scales from 1-10. Innocents range from 1-2. Investigators range from 2-5. Tempters range from 5-8. Administrators range from 8-10. When a player submits a character sheet (which will be brief), we will include a Current Corruption number, along with at least 2 Vices and 1 Virtue. Vices are ways your character can be tempted (and gain corruption). Virtues are ways you can be virtuous and lose corruption. An Administrator will rule on all corruption gains above 5 and all corruption losses. This ensures the game is flexible (you can go up to 5 all on your own), but balanced. No one god modes here. Here are a few supplemental rules:

1: You don't change your character type by going to 5 corruption. Innocents do not become Investigators, for example.
2: You cannot get above 5 corruption without also becoming a tempter and actively corrupting others.
3: Players cannot have above 8 corruption.
4: For each point of corruption, you may earn 1 small special power. Over time, as you gain new corruption, you may add the powers together (for a more impressive one) or augment your list with more special powers. Examples of little powers include appearing younger than normal, aging slowly, being able to change very small physical features, or healing quickly. Send an Admin a PM for approval of whatever power you want to add.
5: If you are a tempter, you do not need to list it on your sheet. You can also hide your corruption number, provided both Admins are aware of the real deal.
6: You do have to list any powers you gain on your character sheet, but players are discouraged to go peeking (so hide the powers themselves from public view).

Character Sheets

Again, we're going with simplicity. People who are interested in playing and who feel they understand the rules and meet the posting requirements should post a character sheet on this page for review and approval by the administrators. Your sheet should include the following:

• Character Name
  • Character Age (feel free to include apparent versus real)
  • Character Type (Innocent, Investigator, Tempter)
  • Vices:
  • Virtues:
  • Starting Corruption:
  • Current Corruption: (Leave blank until after we've started the game)
  • Background Summary (Don't reveal anything other players shouldn't see.)
  • Character Picture - please use the hide function on this, so the page doesn't get bloated

Example Powers (TBD)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Example 1 Point Powers:

1 point powers are subtle and personal

Subtle in this context means: difficult to notice.
Personal: effecting your character

Example 2 Point Powers:

2 point powers are subtle and personal or may influence others/the area around you

Example 3 Point Powers:

3 point powers are discreet and personal

Discreet powers may be obvious, but if so they could be explained away (through technology, etc.)

Example 4 Point Powers:

4 point powers are discreet and personal or may influence others/the area around you

Example 5 Point Powers:

5 point powers are obvious and personal

No one mistakes a 5 point power as technology or Hollywood illusion. Well, few people would...

Example 6 Point Powers:

6 point powers are obvious and personal or may influence others/the area around you

Example 7 Point Powers:

7 point powers are impressive

Example 8 Point Powers:

8 point powers are awe-inspiring

Players are encouraged to plan or play multiple characters. Each player may have one standard PC and one Tempter. Players may phase PCs into Tempters and start secondary or tertiary characters as well (provided they are approved). In time, we may reward long-term play by allowing tertiary+ characters to start with bonus powers/corruption.

Posting Header and Play Start: Once we begin we'll add a posting header. The header will be fairly specific and include location, current time, etc. Once we post the setup and introductory content for the game, play will happen freely between players, with Admins moving in and out between scenarios. Players will be allowed to PM or flag an Admin for special characters/events in their stories.

When will it begin? Once we have 7-8 approved characters, we'll look into starting it.

As always, feedback is encouraged.

arkhos

Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

persephone325

Sounds different. And by that, I mean interesting. :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Chaosfox

I like the idea bhenid this one I will keep my eye on it for now.
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Dariusfallenstar

For those who have expressed interest, and future potential players:

Would you prefer a game run in a traditional "character sheet"/"location based" style typical on E, or more free form? I don't envision this as being driven by the sorts of highly specific plots that would require over thinking it (unless we evolve it further), but I am not against the idea of making the scenario robust.

Faustus

I'm intrigued by this as well, but hold no preference in terms of style?

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

CurvyKitten

Dariusfallenstar

Alright, after some contemplating, I think I can formalize my approach (and help inform the people who might be interested make an decision regardless).

There will be five types of characters:

• Innocents:
(PCs)People who stumble on the village or are sent there and are totally innocent.
  • Investigators:
(PCs)People who come to the village to investigate what is going on (but who become entangled, too, or who quickly leave).
  • Corrupted:
(PCs)People already corrupt, or on the path of corruption, who are sent/find the village
  • Tempters:
(NPCs/PCs) People who live in the village and work for the otherworldly agency. Think incubi and succubi types. I'm open to having enthusiastic people have a PC character *and* one of these.
  • Village Administrators:
(NPCs) NPCs run entirely by me (provided this thing stays small). These are the knowledge-holders, the gate-keepers of truth, etc.

I'm open to players creating multiple characters, provided they fit specific niches that we need. For example: Your primary character could be an innocent family member, but you've got a badass investigator or a tempter that lets you explore the other side of the fence. If the ideas intrigue you enough that you want to play an innocent becoming a tempter and then rotate in another character later, while keeping your new tempter as a side/NPC character, great.

I'd also like to see the innocents more-or-less grouped together. They could be part of a single family unit, or a couple families, or a couple friends who find/are sent to the village.

I'm going to go with "simplified" character sheets for this, just so we can keep track of what/who everyone is playing (though I will definitely allow people to conceal which of the types they are if they want!). If this evolves into a superpower game later on, we might enhance the sheets to include abilities or vulnerabilities.

Also, to clarify: Although I'm leaning toward the Whispering Village being mostly about carnal corruption, I'm going to leave how the whispers influence characters up to the players. Other "sins" might be involved too, such as anger, jealousy, etc.

-

None of this is entirely set in stone, but I figure this is the sort of direction I'd enjoy seeing this go. Feedback is encouraged. If a little tweak or two can motivate someone from being on the fence to wanting to play, accommodations could be made.

arkhos

I am totally open to either play-style that you mentioned. Whatever the majority chooses (and/or you are comfy with) will be fine with me. Each style has it's own pros and cons.

As for character interest...

I would actually very-much like to play an administrator along with you, if you'd be open to it. If you'd prefer to keep this as your realm for a smaller group, I'd definitely then be eager to play a tempter.

To the opposite of that, I'd be very eager to play an innocent and an investigator. An innocent who stumbles blindly onto the villages not having a clue what's going on would be my preference as far as an innocent goes. An investigator who has heard of this place and is sent by some group/clan/cult to learn more about it. If I could find a female character willing to corrupt him, I could make him anything from a sleazy cult member from another city, all the way up to a priest who has heard rumors and has come here himself to uses the power of god to cleanse the place (but who will become quite corrupted). Whatever works, whatever others might be interested in interacting with.

Carnal corruption being the focus is grand, but I definitely could see aspects of the other 'sins' making appearances, for certain. :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Dariusfallenstar

Quote from: arkhos on February 25, 2014, 02:13:45 PM
I am totally open to either play-style that you mentioned. Whatever the majority chooses (and/or you are comfy with) will be fine with me. Each style has it's own pros and cons.

As for character interest...

I would actually very-much like to play an administrator along with you, if you'd be open to it. If you'd prefer to keep this as your realm for a smaller group, I'd definitely then be eager to play a tempter.

To the opposite of that, I'd be very eager to play an innocent and an investigator. An innocent who stumbles blindly onto the villages not having a clue what's going on would be my preference as far as an innocent goes. An investigator who has heard of this place and is sent by some group/clan/cult to learn more about it. If I could find a female character willing to corrupt him, I could make him anything from a sleazy cult member from another city, all the way up to a priest who has heard rumors and has come here himself to uses the power of god to cleanse the place (but who will become quite corrupted). Whatever works, whatever others might be interested in interacting with.

Carnal corruption being the focus is grand, but I definitely could see aspects of the other 'sins' making appearances, for certain. :)

-ark

Arky, since we know that we both work well together, I'd be very much down for that. Especially if we're willing to broaden the scope from a few people (6 or 7) to a bit wider swatch. This *could* easily balloon out into something fairly nuanced, despite the simplistic plot, if we want it to.

I was also thinking about (possibly) adding something like a Corruption scale to the game. As player Corruption grows, their access to supernatural powers increases. Corruption can be reduced, but only through special efforts (but the supernatural powers are maintained, allowing "good" supers eventually). Once a player reaches X Corruption, they've maxed out for the game - as anything beyond that would mean they are bonkers.

It makes the game a little more "rules heavy" but helps support the idea of growing corruption equating to unique abilities.

Thoughts?

CurvyKitten

I am very intrigued by this, I already have a private detective idea. A woman searching for someone the trail leads her to the village. And a possible tempter, though my muse is still working on ideas (as playing an innocent sound fun too:P ) and they would probably become clearer when more things are worked out. :)

Dariusfallenstar

Quote from: CurvyKitten on February 25, 2014, 04:33:30 PM
I am very intrigued by this, I already have a private detective idea. A woman searching for someone the trail leads her to the village. And a possible tempter, though my muse is still working on ideas (as playing an innocent sound fun too:P ) and they would probably become clearer when more things are worked out. :)

's pretty nebulous so far, to be honest. Please chime in with what you like/don't like or your overall thoughts (this goes for everyone interested).

If left to my druthers, I'm probably going to run with the ideas we've already been discussing, once the interest strikes a few more people.

Chaosfox

I wanted to say that I really like the Idea of a corruption scale. It just seems to fit this particular genre in general.

Dariusfallenstar

Quote from: Chaosfox on February 25, 2014, 05:03:18 PM
I wanted to say that I really like the Idea of a corruption scale. It just seems to fit this particular genre in general.

Perfect, sir. Your preference has been noted!

Dariusfallenstar

The intro post has been revised to include concrete rules. I tried to keep it from becoming TOO rules heavy, while supporting a variety of play styles. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Nymphadora

Definitely interested. The entire concept sounds very fun.

Being corrupted carnally ALWAYS interests me!

Just to toss it out there, I generally prefer free-form but do enjoy Character Sheet/Location Based as well.

Bookmarking this for sure and will ponder an innocent, I think. Though I would not be surprised if my ponderings lead me to an investigator... time will tell.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Chaosfox

Ok I am for sure wanting to do this one. I will say ahead of time I will be gone the entire first week of April.....well I will be near a computer but I will be house sitting at my aunts hose and don't know if I am going to mess with coming to the site as all my documents for writing will be on my own computer.  We shall see though.

Dariusfallenstar

I'd call that plenty of interest. And, given the transient nature of the village, I believe we can more than accommodate people who "wander in" in a month or so. I'll work on getting the official player thread up today, so people can put together their sheets for approval.

Dariusfallenstar

We've had plenty of interest. Please visit our OOC characters thread to post your character and review current players.

I will be working with Arkhos to build the other official pages out over the next few days, so take your time in designing, reviewing, or discussing your would-be characters.

Dariusfallenstar

Just updating to make sure people who have bookmarked this know that we're accepting character applications.

We'll still take feedback and questions, of course!

Cheers.

CurvyKitten

I'm still interested just away from my computer, when I get back I will work on my sheet.

Dariusfallenstar

CarnivorousBunny

Interested! Will probably get a sheet in tomorrow. Possibly for an innocent or investigator.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.