Open With ... Pop up when I try to use the internet

Started by Dre, May 18, 2011, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dre

Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help me and I didn't fuck up my computer too bad. >_<

Every time I open my Internet Explorer a pop up window titled : Open with ... appears with several applications that I have to chose from. I usually exit out and it lets the browser open. However, whenever I click on a new tab it does the same thing.

I've been trying to download Mozilla FireFox all morning and it won't let me. I'm able to click on the 'Run' or 'Save' button but then the same pop up window 'Open With' comes up and it won't let the wizard start. It keeps bringing me around in circles.

HELP?
||Rest in Peace, Moreth.||||Absences and Apologies: Updated 12/18/19 ||

Vekseid

Which version of Windows are you using?

If you're familiar with booting into Safe Mode, you can try booting into safe mode to see if that works.

Dre

I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Could this have been caused by a virus? Or cleaning up after one? A few days ago, I had something pop up that said a virus had been detected, then it asked if I wanted to quarantine it. I clicked yes. Ater that, the 'Open With' pop up began.
||Rest in Peace, Moreth.||||Absences and Apologies: Updated 12/18/19 ||

Vekseid

Quote from: Dre on May 18, 2011, 11:35:11 AM
I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Could this have been caused by a virus? Or cleaning up after one? A few days ago, I had something pop up that said a virus had been detected, then it asked if I wanted to quarantine it. I clicked yes. Ater that, the 'Open With' pop up began.

It could have been a faked notice wrapper if you saw it on a webpage, though that was supposed to have been stopped with Windows Vista (and 7). Alternately if it was MSE that told you, it could have been a smaller part of a more serious infection.

In your Star Orb -> All Programs -> Accessories somewhere (I think in System Tools), there should be an Internet Explorer version titled "Internet Explorer (no add ons)"  - try running that and see what that does.

Alternately, or in combination, boot into safe mode and try there.

Can also try
Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset to default settings, which might clear the 'always open with' option you may have stuck on. I'm pretty sure there's a way to clear it, though. Would have to look up.