News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Starting, as the GM

Started by The Lovely Tsaritsa, June 05, 2012, 10:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I'm wanting, for running a group game. But, I don't ever run a game, before. And the game I want running, I think it's ambitous, and may be complicated. :-/

Should I try some thing more simple, first? Only with few players? Or, should I try my game, any way, and hope for it working? ???

What is the good numbers, of players, for a first group game?

HairyHeretic

You have a few options.

Start small, and work up.

Start with more people, and wait and see what the game eventually settles down to. A lot of group games tend to change size over time, with players coming and going.

Ask for a co-GM, someone who can help run the game, and cover the area's that you're weaker in.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HockeyGod

You might also want to look at the thread that is requesting co-GMs - you could start out as the "wingman" before branching out.

MTalos

My advice would be to start out sort of small, and work your way up. Make that first game part of your more ambitious story; an origin story, or even a legend that exists in your main game.
Are you using any sort of rules system?

In general, the best advice I can give you is talk to your players every few sessions. Find out what's working, and what isn't. And just because they don't like something doesn't mean you need to drop it, you might just need to rework it.

Communication: the cornerstone of any successful relationship.

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Thank you, every one. :-)

I may ask, for being the co-GM, in a big game first. And I try the running of a small group game, first.

I never use a system, before. Can some one recomend, a very simple system? I don't think I need one, much. But, I may have some fights, so I do need it!

HairyHeretic

I think a fair few of the GMs here would recommend the FATE system as a good beginner one.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

I'm personally a fan of Song of Ice and Fire, as it is very easily adapted to different settings and not hard to learn.  Also, I am about to start a system Harry Potter game and would love a co-GM if you are interested in that.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Thufir Hawat

What do you need the system for, lovelylilT?
FATE is a good choice indeed. It does much more than simply the fighting, though you can certainly use it that way as well!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Muse

New World of Darkness is particularly easy to run online and relatively well known. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thufir Hawat

I might recommend New World of Darkness for the Vice and Virtue mechanic, but not really for the combat system, and it's got a relatively big pagecount.

Which brings us back to my question, in a way. What kind of game is that going to be ;)?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Hi Thufir!

My game, that I plan, it's like the movie Cabin in the Woods. It's much like a slasher movie, with teen agers at a summer camp, doing naughty things. ::) But, they're hunted by killers, and they're part of a big government experament.

I think much of my game, it can be free form. But, for when there's fighting, and trying for escaping, I think I'm needing rules. Also, I may be think I need rules, for characters noticing clues, or solving the puzzles, I need rules, too.

I never play a role playing game, with rules, before. All of this, it's very new, to me.

kckolbe, thank you very much, for your offering, it's super nice, of you! :-) But, I don't know Harry Potter very good. I may be only person, on Earth, who doesn't read the books, or see the movies, yet! ::) And I didn't under stand well, the rules you posted. So I don't think, it's a good start for the GMing, for me.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: lovelylilT on June 11, 2012, 08:55:49 AM
Hi Thufir!

My game, that I plan, it's like the movie Cabin in the Woods. It's much like a slasher movie, with teen agers at a summer camp, doing naughty things. ::) But, they're hunted by killers, and they're part of a big government experament.
If you want to emulate the genre, among the free options, there's nothing better than FATE.
The reason is the mechanic called Aspects. Characters get FATE points for doing genre-appropriate things that might get them in trouble. Stuff like checking on the suspicious noise in the basement without calling anyone for back-up is a prime example here, often used to describe Aspects >:)!
So, just make them take an Aspect describing the role their character would play in a slasher movie. The Nerd, The Girl in the couple, The Boy in the couple, The Lone Girl, whatever. Then let the genre guide you :P!
Why do people even want those FATE points? Well, in return, you get to use those points later to improve your odds of success with, say, your Athletics skill while you're being chased. Or you get to declare something genre-appropriate, like the existence of a stone near the place the killer is struggling with your character on the ground. So basically, players are bribed into doing the genre-appropriate stuff ;D!

(Well, or if the above doesn't sound interesting for some reason, point me what's wrong with it, and I could probably suggest something else. For that matter, I could probably hack a system for you. It's usually simple with a bit of practice, barring some really unusual requirements).

QuoteI think much of my game, it can be free form. But, for when there's fighting, and trying for escaping, I think I'm needing rules. Also, I may be think I need rules, for characters noticing clues, or solving the puzzles, I need rules, too.
And you just described how many "system" games go anyway. There's a misconception that you roll for everything. In practice, most things are just the way you declare them to be. There's even an explicit rule in some that only high-stress or important actions are worth rolling. Everything else succeeds automatically, or fails automatically, as the player or GM declared it. I mean, if it's not important, why stop and pay it special attention?

QuoteI never play a role playing game, with rules, before. All of this, it's very new, to me.
Remember that you can ask if you've got questions. I doubt there would be a shortage of answers ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!