News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FigTree

I'm currently drowning in grad seminar readings and feeling a little bitter about people (looking at you, theorists) using $10 words when a $2 word will do, so I'm not mad at it!
.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Ons/Offs and Image Inspirations
Current Requests Here
A/As Storytelling

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

TyCaine

Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Sahariel

33,200. I think my score's improved.

calculatedrisks

Not bad if I say so myself.

wander

Mine is 27,500.

I was honest and also somewhat more strict on myself. Some words I use though I honestly am unsure on a true definition, so those ones I didn't tick. The last page had a few I've never even seen, let alone used. ^^;

DelightfullyMAD

I got 33,700 for mine.  Some of the words I knew on the list actually made me feel sort of embarrassed that I knew them, since some are pretty much never used in any sort of conversation or even most literature, but apparently I'm the kind of nerd who likes knowing weird and obscure words :P
Number of RPs I am currently doing: 0 out of 5

Curious to know about me?  Here's my introduction thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=266266.msg13136350#new

My schedule occasionally gets kind of hectic, so if I suddenly disappear for a period of time, not to worry, I am likely just working like a dog.  I will be back.

Left Palm of Saint Michae

Wow, you guys are great!

I thought I knew English pretty well for a foreigner, but damn...  9,650 words? How come I'm even able to understand all of you?

persephone325

I just wanted to see what the number would be if someone knew all the words listed.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
45,000 words

Some of you are pretty close to that mark, actually.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

bloodysands

My total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
24,700 words.

AxiomUltimatum

Cample

I got

not too surprised, always add issues with communication and writing/spelling

Bernardo Hoagie

25,800 words. A decent enough amount, all that matters is how well you use your vocabulary in literature.

Maeriel

29,400 sheesh I thought it would be less with being a foreigner. Cool link :)
"Chemistry is you touching my mind and it setting my body on fire." - unknown
Updated 29 Oct, 2017                   Updated 23 Nov, 2017

dimeadozen

28,200 words, which I guess puts me just above the 70th percentile for my age. I've really let my vocabulary slip in relation to my peers, but I'm not the kind of guy to whip out a thesaurus when I write, so I'm pretty happy with my vocabulary. I think I know enough varied words to keep my writing from getting repetitive, but not so many that I'm tempted to show off. (Not that those with larger vocabularies all show off, but it's something I would probably do.) I also feel like having too large of a vocabulary hinders communication rather than helping it, since one can unknowingly use words that the listener doesn't understand in the slightest. I've had that happen on rare occasions, mostly with foreigners, but sometimes even with fellow native-born Americans.

HoodedStranger

I took the test and got:

25,200 words

Being a carnivorous reader of fictional literature, I'm disappointed in my overall vocabulary score. I know that I was being honest though and genuinely only picking the words that I knew the meaning of off the top of my head without consulting a dictionary or thesaurus. I think I might have picked maybe one-three words out of the very last column if any.

Outcast

Aided greatly by reading a lot of history concerning cultures speaking a number of different English dialects; roleplaying (I probably wouldn't have picked up things like 'caitiff' outside the hobby!); and reading 19th and early 20th century fiction.  Even so, there were words I can't remember ever seeing in print before, let alone ones for which I couldn't dredge up a definition.

I found the detailed write-up fascinating - particularly the observation that those who take the test seem to be a self-selecting elite, falling into the top couple of percentiles of the broader population (at least within the US).  It sems that merely taking the test is a near-guarantee of having a far-above-average vocabulary.
My Ons and Offs  My A/A (updated 10/4/24)

Caelia

20,300 words for me as a native English speaker.

May I just say, a few of those words on the last page did not even look to be English.

Cognitive Brainfart

20,700 words.

I'm actually kind of disappointed in myself. I had hoped it would be more. But I suppose it's not that terrible. I'm from an Eastern European country where young people know some English at best and the regular adult or elder doesn't know it at all. I've learned most of it from television, music, games, and rp.

FreeElk

29,000 - 70th percentile for my age.

I wonder if there is a marked difference between people here on E and the average - I would expect so. We all probably read quite a bit.

Magicaddict

36,800 - for a thirty-five year old, that doesn't sound so bad.
"Sex was never safe.  In sex, you reveal yourself physically and emotionally, and that's fucking dangerous." - Jim Steinman

Current Status: Balancing multiple commitments, but not absent.  Average turnaround ~ 6-7 days.

CrystalMaeGranger

Quote from: Cample on August 30, 2017, 01:17:02 PM
I got

not too surprised, always add issues with communication and writing/spelling
That the exact score I got. I don't think its too bad.
I think some people cheated,

Hush

20,900 - not much of a reader and when writing Im a dictionary / thesaurus kinda gal

frost rose

Oh, I recall this test. My girlfriend is very into these sorts of things, since her academic background is in linguistics, and vocabulary size, language acquisition, and dialect are kind of her jam. There's a cool dialect locator for Americans that's super neat as well.

This test estimates my vocabulary at 42 300. Although I'm not sure if that's entirely fair. At least one word I just analysed and managed to define off the top of my head from the latin roots. (Uxoricide in particular. Never run across it, but it's obvious from the derivation.)
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Luna333

Caeli

It makes me feel like I should use the dictionary more often when I'm reading on my Kindle. ;D
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs