The Depths of Stupidity

Started by OldSchoolGamer, December 16, 2008, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Browsing the Internet, I came across a news article announcing the discovery of a nugget of raw stupidity and unadulterated asshattery.  In a nutshell, the parents of a child they named Adolf Hitler are wondering just what all the fuss about the child's name is about:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

"Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

Moondazed

That poor child.  Stupid morons *sigh*
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Avi

That's like naming some kid Jeffrey Dahmer or Marilyn Manson... there is just way too much baggage to ever let that name be "normal" again.  I hope that kid gets his name legally changed as soon as he turns 18.  I would.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

The Overlord

Quote from: aviationrox on December 16, 2008, 10:09:14 PM
That's like naming some kid ...Marilyn Manson...

You mean Charles Manson? Charles was the mass murderer…Marilyn Manson can't be accused of anything other than widening the generation gap a little bit further in true rock star fashion.

Avi

Yeah, my bad. >_<  I pulled a brain fart there.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Zeitgeist

I'm still chuckling over asshattery. ROFL!

Oniya

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on December 16, 2008, 08:03:01 PM
Browsing the Internet, I came across a news article announcing the discovery of a nugget of raw stupidity and unadulterated asshattery.  In a nutshell, the parents of a child they named Adolf Hitler are wondering just what all the fuss about the child's name is about:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

"Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

QuoteThe Campbells' two other children are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, who turns 2 in a few months, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who will be 1 in April.
(emphasis mine.)

I call B.S. on Mr. Campbell's 'surprise' at the controversy.  He has admitted that the youngest was named after Himmler here. He knows exactly what his kids' names connote, and I can only hope that they survive childhood relatively unscathed. 

When I was naming my little one, we were very conscious of what possible nicknames and teasing could arise on the playground.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

I've known quite a few hispanics by the name of Jesus Christ, but Adolf Hitler definitely takes the cake.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Aysleen

Quote from: Oniya on December 17, 2008, 02:45:59 PM
When I was naming my little one, we were very conscious of what possible nicknames and teasing could arise on the playground.

And any truly loving and caring parent would consider the same.
These parents weren't considering the child at all.
Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.

Oniya

Quote from: Paradox on December 17, 2008, 02:51:00 PM
I've known quite a few hispanics by the name of Jesus Christ, but Adolf Hitler definitely takes the cake.

At least Jesus (hay-soos) is a commonly recognized Hispanic name, regardless of its origins, and I bet those people you know didn't broadcast their middle names.  The Campbells made a big deal about broadcasting that the kid's middle name is Hitler.

I'd also bet that if they had asked for 'Adolf Campbell' to be put on the cake, there wouldn't have been an issue at the store.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

As much as I think that the parents should have thought the name over a bit more before putting it down on the birth certificate...but at the same time, it's none of the store's business what a couple names their child. I'm sure the store as a whole couldn't give a crap. It had to be the deli/bakery workers that refused it. Personally, it's their job. If someone wants Happy Birthday JackA** on a cake, they'd do it. If they wanted Happy Birthday F***er...it's the baker's job to do it and even ask how to spell it to make sure they get it right.

So what if the kid's name was Adolf Hitler. A few baker people and the family would of been the only ones that saw it. It's not like they have to go over the intercom and yell, "Adolf Hitler's birthday cake is ready!"

I don't see what the big deal is. I grew up with someone named Adolf. It's a nice name. I do think that the parents should of picked a better pairing of names, but the kid can change it when he's old enough. *shrugs*

Just my opinion.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 17, 2008, 03:33:35 PM
It had to be the deli/bakery workers that refused it. Personally, it's their job. If someone wants Happy Birthday JackA** on a cake, they'd do it. If they wanted Happy Birthday F***er...it's the baker's job to do it and even ask how to spell it to make sure they get it right.

Actually, the deli/bakery was quoted as saying that they have the right to refuse to put something on a cake if they find it offensive.  They refused to decorate another cake (separate incident) with swastikas.  I'm sure that if someone came in wanting to put 'Happy Birthday F***er' on a cake, that they would likely refuse that as well.

And I have no problem with the name Adolf either.  It always struck me as slightly geeky-sounding, like Eugene, but on the whole it's a decent enough name. 

Revolverman

This kinda reminds me of that episode of Cheers where Carla Tortelli mom asked her to rename her son Benito Mussolini