Shadowrun Fifth Edition [Players and GM wanted]

Started by AndyZ, August 05, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

There's been quite a few hits for 4e for Shadowrun, but I haven't seen too much for 5e yet.  That may just be because the errata isn't out yet, but maybe everyone else is waiting for someone to speak up and start a thread.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Blinkin

Or... it may just be that everyone is waiting on someone to tell them if it's worth playing. ;)

Can't speak for anyone else, I haven't played since 2nd edition, but there's no way I can afford the core rules, much less the suppliments that's sure to appear in the not too distance future.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Sinestra

Well, actually I've got a huge obsession for the Shadowrun world, but my huge problem with 5th edition is that it removes most of the previous source books which contain so many awesome pieces of gear, settings etc.

However, I will absolutely play in any kind of Shadowrun game, even 5th edition.

Which, for the record, is actually really good... it just removes so much of my shopping that I miss it too much and still want to play 4th edition.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Blinkin

It reminds me of one of the reasons that I hated D&D 3.+ It made all of the wonderful source material that AD&D 2nd ed. had put out... all useless if I wanted to play 3.+... which I only did once and hated the system... My biggest complaint was that it was too centered on battle and didn't seem to make much allowance for non-combat... but this is beside the point.

I played Shadowrun once way, way, way way way back in the 90's when it was still 2nd ed. I loved the game, but it was incredibly difficult, IE Impossible to find anyone either running or playing it. For a game that was so popular from it's beginnings, it sure was damned hard to find anyone who actually played it.

Now, I've finally gotten into a 4th ed game on E (Soon to start, I hope) and if someone can tell me how to play 5th, I'll give it a try.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Sinestra

You know, I haven't seen any other Shadowrun games advertised in the last week or two here. Made me sad, but this one gives me hope.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Blinkin

They are very rare and like Pathfinder, very popular when one appears. The compitition is pretty fierce for any slot.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

BraveEarth

What're the differences between the 4th and 5th Edition?

Sinestra

A few rule tweaks, simplifications, character generation has been overhauled, prices/availabilities on items have been changed, and "Commlinks" have taken a hit. They're no longer the be-all-end-all tool for hackers and wage slaves. Now Deckers (they removed "Hackers" as a term) use what equals to an iPad to hack computers.

The story doesn't seem to have advanced in age at all, so it's still the mid 2070s and technomancers are still the current demon of choice for the media.

Callie Del Noire

There a few things coming out of the Dragon Civil war and the end of the war between Amazonia and Azlant. Also a few new tweaks to things. You got more options for some of your gear and a few new toys for the mage types. :D

Sinestra

But all of my wonderful vehicles, rigging toys, robots, drones, fashion, guns etc etc... all gone. :(

And the cost of buying limos is WAY up. I used to buy them and mod them as impromptu APCs for running teams.

AndyZ

Well, not too many yet but I can leave this open.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Muse

I've started diving into fifth edition.  It makes Mystic Adepts a very playable--albiet very expensive option. 

They've also introduced a system that limits the number of hits you can benefit from.  This limit vanishes on any rol where edge isspent, though.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Yeah, I have plans for a Mystic Adept if this takes off.  Ironically, Muse, you met her in 4e.

Jaded

I'd be interested in being a player in a 5th edition game.

AndyZ

So since we have no one interested in GM, how would people feel about swapping off?  People take a mission and move over to the next.

Muse

I could give that a try. 

Heck, if you don't mind a slow pace, I could even run. 

I'd be afraid it would turn into a one substantive post a week game. 

And I'd be afraid that I'd bog down in leg work and loose everyone's attention. 

If the first is all right, and you can help me fight through the second, i'll run. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Antipaladin of Calista

If you still need players I'm down for playing a smuggler style character. Someone that connects better with the street level and people as apposed to magic or tech.

Blinkin

I'm not familiar with the system to even think about running... hell, I haven't even touched a 5th edition page, much less know anything substanative about it... I'm probably way out of my depth here.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

AndyZ

Well, if you know the setting but not the rules, I'm sure there'd be spots.  Maybe not as runners but somebody needs to help the runners celebrate after a job...

Jaded

I don't mind helping out if Muse wants to run, or occasionally running a mission if we are swapping.  I haven't played a game in 5th though, so would need time to become familiar before running anything. 

Blinkin

Thanks Andy, but I'll pass on that idea. The purpose of playing shadowrun is to play a runner. An occasionaly popping in for a party favor or as a caterer just doesn't appeal to me.

So, I guess I'm out of this one. Have fun.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

*goes to  grab Blinkin and drag him back in.* 

I said I'd run already! 

Blinkin

ok, ok already, hands off the threads. That collar is so starched you'll crack it.

My concern was that, if by not having a thorough knowledge of this edition leads to a suggestion that a player not play a runner, that most of the post here admitted some ignorance... you'll have a party of bartenders, strippers and stuffer shack clerks to work with. I would rather not be told, or more to the point, suggested that I play a contact, or a character so minor that the only thing that there would be to do is to simper over a comm link and say, "You big, strong, brave man!" ;) It just irked me a little
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

So, let’s see: 
Andy, Blinkin, Brave Earth, Callie del’Noir, Jaded, Sinestra. 

10,000 pardons, Antipaladin.  I’ll put you on first on the waiting list, but that’s about all I can handle.  (Further apologies, I’m saving two slots for certain of my regulars who—by various supportive methods—help make sure my games run.)   

Compared to my usual games, I'll go easy on the erotic content, but I still intend to place this on the NC-E System boards in case an opportunity presents itself.  Please alert me if I nudge you towards any content you're uncomfortable with. 

I favor shadowrunners who err on the side of heroic.  That is to say, that they believe in some way, shape or form, that the work they do sticks it to the corps or otherwise in some nebulous way serves a higher purpose.  People who have some sense of honor--particularly when it comes to fellow runners and innocent bystanders.  They may be violent types who don't bother to bring tasers or shock and stick rounds to gun fights, but i prefer they not be inclined to unload a full clip into the body of  a downed random security guy just to make sure he's dead enough. 

I can start pulling random missions together now, but if people have character concepts and histories they'd like me to integrate, please speak up.  :) 

Sinestra

Well, because I'm completely predictable, I'll put forward my hand for role as Team's Rigger. I've countless concepts for Rigger characters, so I guess at this point we should probably all decide what archtype/concept we'd like to play and shape ourselves from there.