News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Scion / Deadlands Crossover game idea

Started by HairyHeretic, May 18, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

QuotePosted on: Today at 08:33:49 PMPosted by: MadPanda 
Gee, maybe I won't fit in with this group after all.
Sorry to have bothered you.

HUH!!??

WTH!!??

panda what the heck are ya talking about!!

Phaia

Ixy

I'm still very interested in this game, and really looking forward to when we can start roleplaying.

Hairy, your house rule's ok by me, as I expect you'll keep it in balance... it makes sense, after all, because guns are a critical part of the wild-west setting.  Sure, it'd help my character stat-wise, but I'm more interested in the idea of keeping guns a competent set of weapons when it comes down to going toe-to-toe with a dangerous antagonist.

Panda, I'd hate to see you quit this game before it even gets going, or before we even hear the rest of your character's backstory.  I don't fully understand why you'd think it's best for you to go, but if it's personal taste then I can't really blame you for wanting to focus on something that makes you happier.  I hope you'll reconsider though.

Um... anything else?  no... guess not.  No pressure, I'm just excited about getting started.

Phaia

Hairy ever hear of this series, I remembered it was a favorite of one of my brothers..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Brisco_County,_Jr.

Phaia

Phaia

looking at the vid clips again ...and again...they are great...

Love the idea of swinging across a town shooting, or fighting hand to hand across the roof tops as bullets zing past....

Walking down the street in her gown with bustle, parasol out as bullets zing around her....whamping a thug over the head ....corset and leggings as she dances on a table in the midst of a brawl... a quick kick sending someone into next week...

Katie riding hard and flicting the winchester in a cirlce to fire again and againas she rides hard into the town

Daniel in a great leap the sword over his head as he smash down amoug the brawling madness

heck great images

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on May 27, 2009, 08:18:12 PM
Panda hun this is the wild west...guns SHOULD be the blam blam. everyone uses them and scions are not yet gods so a gattling gun should cause us a bit of concern.

No, Scions aren't yet Gods, but they're a lot more than mortals.

Quote from: Phaia on May 27, 2009, 08:18:12 PM
Also Panda, love the tale of monkey girl but ya should know San fran does not exsist in Deadlands...the entire west coast was blasted into islands by the great earthquake and is now the main scource of ghost rock...van cou might still be there or ya could set the story in new york or chicago

I believe SF wasn't destroyed til the big ritual took place, which would mean it's still viable back story.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

zothab

Dark. Cold. Miserable.

But that was only at night. By day the hold of the British merchant ship Lady Fletcher was dark, stinking hot and miserable.

Brandon Whelan had been three weeks in the dark. Twenty one days sharing the fetid, dank air with more of his countrymen than he could count. A lifetime sitting in inch deep water - well, mostly water.

The only blessing so far on this damned journey was that they had avoided plague. Not that the crew would hear it. They kept their “cargo” locked away. Lowering buckets of water and food into the once a day for the migrants to fight over. Never enough food or water. But after the first few days no-one had the energy or will to fight of it. And after a few more, there was enough food for everyone – and the sharks.

They could have fought. Revolted. Mutinied. Brandon’s father would have demanded it. He would have railed against the Captain, roused the three hundred squashed in the dark, and tried to make it right. But his father was dead.

Instead of giving his life to breathe life back into his father’s failed farm, Brandon has taken the easy way out – and the landlords promise of five pounds – and shipped out to the new world. It made him a coward, but that was fine, it wasn’t a fight he could win.

And coward he would have remained, if the man with golden hair hadn’t asked his name on day twenty two.

Brandon Whelan is a Irish lad from County Kerry. His family's farm failed during the potato blight, but they stayed and tried to survive in their homeland as long as they could. Eventually, when all had died of starvation or disease, Brandon fled to the Americas.

During the boat trip he was visited by Lugh mac Ethlenn, Lonnbeimnech, and was inspired to fight against the miserable conditions that the migrants were put under - both on the boat, and in the new world. It was his mission to forge them a place in the world they could call their own. So that the children of the Tuatha de Danann would not be forgotten.

The civil war was in its earliest stages when the Lady Fletcher arrived off Ellis island, and Brandon enlisted immediately. He fought for the north bravely, gaining some small fame for holding a fort through the winter that no-one thought possible.

Now, he has been sent west by Lugh to seek out and stop the of the Titanspawn - never once forgetting that the Irish should always be fighting for themselves.

zothab

There we go. Playing very much to stereotype of the golden hero. Blonde hair, inspiring where he can, etc etc. Tell me what you think.

As for the actualy nitty gritty or character, I got the Scion:Hero pdf yesterday, and am absorbing as fast as I can. I'll try and spit out a complete character later today.

Trying to work out a way to argue a divine handcannon of Lugh, but it doesn't look likely.

HairyHeretic

Sounds doable.

If you go for a scion of GOVANNON
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Tuatha_De_Dannan_(Fan)

as the God of the forge, and a crafter of weapons, having the divine hand cannon would certainly be suitable. Optionally you could write it in as Lugh asking Govannon to craft it for one of his sons, and there being a favour to be repaid at some point.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 28, 2009, 02:36:46 AM
I believe SF wasn't destroyed til the big ritual took place, which would mean it's still viable back story.

This would have been useful to know before I became convinced that I was wasting my time here.  Fortunately, HH is more patient than I am and seems to want me to stick around.  Plus he can restore my removed backstory posts.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I've been told I project an aura of calm. Its rather useful when you work support :)

Do you want me to restore those background posts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Ixy

Can I just say how interesting it's going to be to have a Yankee war hero and a Reb bushwhacker teaming up..?  Because, even if we're fictionalizig the historical aspects, it's going to give us the opportunity for some rather insightful conflicts... he was an immigrant fighting another country's war in the regions where it was organized, though ugly... she was cross-dressing and fighting the 'dirty war' out west for revenge, where regulation was loose and based more on on territorial rights and personal grudges than political ideology.  Both of them would be, in a way, iconic of their sides' cause, but ironically both are precisely the kind of people that the warring powers would have chewed up and spit out as cannon fodder as part of advancing their agenda.

Dang.

So... I'm going to work on a quick-reference profile today with a physical description and scaled-down avatar.  I've already sent Hairy the revised sheet for approval, and if everything's ok by you, Hairy, then I'll be ready to roll.

HairyHeretic

Your sheet looks ok, but I'm having a little trouble tracking where all you spent the bonus points. I think you might actually be a point or two unspent.

Plus you sent the sheet before I awarded the couple of extra bonus points, so you have those to spend too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

iconic? well add in that ya have a rogue, card shark, sneak..tempress and daniel and ed [hopefully]

btw hairy for refereance what year or appox are we starting in, the great ritaul took place on july 3 1863,

and the Deadlands setting is appox 1877 so was wondering, wanted to add in a  brithday as well as a bit of extra history to alex so was wondering about the starting date

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Hmm. Good question.

Is there a Deadlands timeline anywhere, do you know? I'm tempted to set it a few years before canon, so as to give us a bit more freedom to play, but I'd need to get an idea of when major events occured.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/3492/index.html

this is one of the sites I have been using as a guide for deadlands ideas

phaia

Phaia

check under contents ..it has a nice gizmos section as well as a bunch of others, there is a deadlands ring but mots of the sites are gone

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I found a fairly detailed one here

http://web.archive.org/web/20021223094757/mscof.home.texas.net/timeline/timetable.htm

I love this one

1866 - February 2 The town of Quarryville, Pennsylvania is attacked by giant groundhogs. The town is attacked every year on this date.

Gives a whole new possibility for a Groundhog Day scenario  ;D Trapped doing the same thing day in and day out til you manage to find out what's going on and break the curse  :D

And it looks like the Great Quake in California was 1868.

Looking over the timeline, I think about 1871 or 1872 would be a fairly decent place to set things going. A lot of the major background is in place then, and the other stuff I see could be dropped into the timeline at other points without much disruption.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

Quote from: Phaia on May 28, 2009, 12:09:05 PM
iconic? well add in that ya have a rogue, card shark, sneak..tempress and daniel and ed [hopefully]

Yeah, I was referring to the war, specifically, but the group overall has several archetypes of the culture.  :)

Phaia

NOOO NOO groundhog day [the movie] repeated

**faints and quivers**

Phaia

Phaia

1871 or 72 is good, variuos things like the metal cartiage colt 45 is out, as well as the winchester rifle. though a lot of black powder guns are still around, problly in the armies.

Phaia

zothab

It should be pointed out that while San Fran is gone, there is a thriving Orential community among the great rifts (or whatever they're called, the crazy post earthquake chasms). That's both on top of the cliffs, and further down.

Plus, chinese Junk pirates!

Ixy

NAME: Katie Sinclair
CALLING: Range Vigilante
PANTHEON:  Dodekatheon
PLAYER: Ixy
NATURE: Judge
GOD: Artemis

STR  2        DEX  4 [E2]       STA     3 [E2]
CHA  2        MAN  2        APP     3 [E1]
PERC   4 [E2]      INT  3        WITS   4  [E1]

ACADEMICS  1       
*ANIMAL KEN  1       
ATHLETICS  2       
*AWARENESS 1         
BRAWL 2         
COMMAND 1         
CONTROL 2         
*EMPATHY 1         
*FORTITUDE  3       
INTEGRITY  3       
INVESTIGATION 3         
LARCENY 3
*MARKSMANSHIP 5
MELEE 1       
STEALTH  1       
*SURVIVAL  2       
THROWN  1

Birthrights:
RELIC 3 - Silver Eye (PURVIEWS: Justice, Psychopomp, Moon) .  Hollow, silver ovoid, it fits her eye perfectly, allowing her to close her eye, even to blink, without impediment.
RELIC 2-  Peacemaker (Damage +2)   This heavy revolver is chambered to fire .45 caliber ammunition, and its ebony grip is etched with runes that do not fade.  The barrel, guard, and cylinder bears a filligree of entwined women, arrows, and hunting scenes.

Boons:
JUDGMENT (JUSTICE •)
SMOKING MIRROR (MOON •)
UNERRING ORIENTATION  (PSYCHOPOMP •)
WHERE ARE YOU?  (PSYCHOPOMP ••)

Knacks:
SOLIPSISTIC WELL-BEING
CAT'S GRACE
DAMAGE CONVERSON
TRICK SHOOTER
PREDATORY FOCUS
SUBLIMINAL WARNING
INSTANT INVESTIGATOR
SERPENT'S GAZE

Virtues:
EXPRESSION 1
INTELLECT 1
VALOR 3
VENEANCE 4

Willpower: 7

Legend: 3  (POINTS:  9)

Equipment:
SEALSKIN COAT (BLACK), OSTRICH-SKIN BOOTS, SPARE CLOTHES, GLOVES, BANDOLIER AND DOUBLE-BARREL SHOTGUN (SAWED-OFF), GUN BELT/HOLSTER, CANTEEN, MID-QUALITY HORSE, SADDLEBAGS, BEDROLL, RATIONS (DRIED BEEF, HARDTACK, DRY BEANS, SEED CORN), SEWING KIT, STETSON OPEN-CROWN HAT, (BLACK) ROLLING PAPERS/TOBACCO, MATCHES/WATERPROOF TIN, CANVAS TARP, EYEPATCH, RAWHIDE CORD SEGMENTS, A FEW DOLLARS AND CHANGE, SHARPS RIFLE WITH DELUXE LONG-RANGE SIGHT.  HORSE (MODERATE STOCK GELDING).

Bonus Points:
7- LEGEND
8- EPIC ATTRIBUTES (+1 epic dex, +1 epic perception-- associated powers)
2- ABILITIES (+2 marksmanship, favored ability)

Description:
Katie looks to be a shade under twenty years old.

Her hair still has streaks of the deep auburn color it was during her childhood, though it darkened to an ebon gloss after her change.  She pins it up with simple combs of bone or wood, and crops it occasionally, but it's usually tucked under her flat-brimmed, black hat regardless. 

She's slgiht of frame, well proportioned, but not voluptuous.  Willowy.  Despite her lean composition, her hips flare from a distinctly tapered waist, and she supports a moderate bust.  Her arms and legs bear the subtle shadows of fine-tuned muscle. 

Her face is striking-- although she's lovely by most standards, she doesn't strike the viewer as an object of exceptional beauty.   Rather, she's a combination of menace and innocence. 

She bears ivory skin, wide and long-lashed eye that seems to sight down purposefully wherever she gazes.  She has a slightly upturned nose and a subtly pouting mouth that seems to constantly be straining as if t oconstrain a deeply hidden sorrow.  Despite the punishing sun she seems not to burn or tan beyond a slightly golden hue of health. 

Beneath her eyepatch, the lid and empty socket bear the white, faded lines of scar where she was shot in the temple as a girl, the bullet's refracted trajectory having ruined her eye on its exit path.  The silver eye she wears in its place, however, is so perfectly natural looking that it's like part of her, though its untarnishing surface might be either surreally beautiful or unsettling to look upon... this, of course, depends on the observer's conscience-- or lack thereof. 

Phaia

Alexandra Catherina Moorland
Calling:   Rogue/Hunter
Pantheon:   Pesedjet
Nature:      Rogue
Goddess:   Bastet

Bonus Points (15) (+2 from Hairy)
Legend Increase      -7
Abilities      -5
Pharaoh [creature]   -3
Birthright
Heku 1          -1

Attributes: (8, 6, 4)
Physical; (4)
Strength      2
Stamina         2
Dexterity      3
Social; (6)
Charisma      2
Manipulation      3
Appearance      4
Mental: (8)
Perception      4
Intelligence      4
Wits         3

Abilities: (30)
*Athletics      4
*Awareness      5
*Brawl         3
*Larceny      5
*Stealth      3
*Survival      2
Academics      3
Languages; English, Arabic, French, German, Chinese
Animal Ken      1
Empathy         3
Fortitude      2
Investigation      2
Marksmanship      2
Control [horse]      1

Boons/Epic Attributes: (10)
Epic Dexterity      2
Epic Perception      2
Epic Wits      1
Animal (cat):      1
   Animal Communication*
Sun:         2
   Penetrating Glare *, Divine Radiance**
Prophecy:      2
Heku:         1
   Ren Harvest*
Knacks;
Cat’s Grace [Dex]
Untouchable Opponent [Dex]
Predatory Focus [Perc]
Subliminal Warning [Perc]
Meditative Focus [Wits]

Advantages:
Birthrights: (5)
Relic 2- “Spectacles of the Sun and the Moon” [preview Sun and Moon]: A round mirrored-lenses set of spectacles often worn low on her nose. 
Relic 1- “Pharaoh’s gift” [preview Animal (cat)]: Intricate gold ring with green cat’s eyes.
Relic 1- “Sands of the Desert” [preview Prophecy]: An 8” tall hourglass of the finest wood and crystal. When turned the sands pour and pull the viewer into the depths of prophecy. The falling sands will always last as long as needed. Sometimes finishing quickly with its images and others dragging on for hours. The viewer is fully engrossed at the time.
Relic 2- Father’s Derringer: A double barreled .45cal colt derringer. Made of refined and forged ghost rock giving it a deep blue black color and engraved in gold [hieroglyphs]. Ivory grip with a cat motif. Her father’s prized derringer given to him by her mother.
Unlimited ammo [cocking back the hammer reloads it] and range of a standard colt revolver.
Creature 1/Guide 2- “Pharaoh”: A male Egyptian Mau cat

Virtues: (5)
Pesedjet:
Conviction      3
Harmony         1
Order         1
Piety         1
Bastet:
Vengeance      4

Legend         3
Willpower      7
Legend Points      9

Phaia

Alex is 21, blonde haired, blue eyed, with full breasts, and curves in all the right places [appearance 4]. She moves with a feline grace and at times seem to be looking through a person [awareness 5].
Alex perfer the finer things, silks, soft cottens, fine wine, choice food. Do not think that she is soft, she can rough it as needed and is very tough. The smokey lensed shades she seems to be always wearing hide her blue eyes.
The grey spotted cat that always seems to be under foot also seems able to get his point across to Alex.
Standing 5'4' in her heeled boots Alex draws eyes to her. Men and women.
She relaxes by playing high stakes poker, normally winning. Yet much of her winnings are channeled to help people and keep harmony.

Pharoah...his royalness...Lordship and general pain...is a wise and wonderful guide from bastet. A normal egyptian Mou, yet it always seems to have a view piont on something around ... and expects his due...honeyed milk and salted sadines...but not just any sardines ..ask him to fine out those her perfers

Phaia