The Miskatonic School for Girls - [Recruitment]

Started by MissFire, February 24, 2016, 03:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Hmm... Here is a question for the GM, concerning the practical application of Dawn's precognition.

This is something that could be tricky to administer. If you don't like the idea, then I will start from scratch with a brand new character, but hopefully the limits I placed on it will make this work. What I propose is as follows:

If something bad is about to happen that affects Dawn or people near her, just send me a PM, giving as vague a description as you like, and an approximate time frame, so something like "Some time in the next few minutes something bad is going to happen to someone in the library"...

That gives me the option to interrupt whatever Dawn is doing and post that she doesn't want to go into the library right now. In fact she thinks that everyone in the library should leave right now...

Technically, it's what would be called "metagaming" - using OOC knowledge IC, but as the character is a precog, it's allowed (just as deity characters are allowed to god-mode... *snigger*)

Note that I can also use information posted in the OOC thread or posted in other IC threads or locations, that Dawn would not normally know about, but her precognition allows her to "see".

If I think an action taking place would lead to something that Dawn would know, I will PM the player(s) concerned and ask them.

So, does that work?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aragem

Name: Amanda Brie
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red hair, chest length
Build: Slender
Major:  Arcanist

Bio: Ever since Amanda was a little a girl, she noticed things others did.  She could see things moving in the shadows and sometimes whispers.  When she tell her parents, they told her it was her overactive imagination, but she always knew the things were real, there and watching her.  As she grew older, she found she was able to do things the other girls couldn't do.  Sometimes she could make a breeze go astray or cause rain drops to miss her when she outside during a spring shower.  Then she learned from her grandmother that magic ran in her family's blood.  Sometimes it skips a generation, such as her mother, and like all the magic users in their family history, it is both a blessing and a curse.  She is capable of great power, but it attracts monsters and other foul things. 

Talents: Amanda has a budding magical talent that she hopes to nurture in the school.  Also, Amanda is a pretty talented chef having worked in the kitchen of her parents' resturant.   

Flaws: Amanda's powers are weak in the beginning, but as they grow she can easily loose control which can be humorous in lucky instances, or dire if unlucky.  Unfortunately, Amanda has an impatient streak, wanting results without the long work required to get there and tends to avoid anything she deems as boring whether its studying or listening to long lectures.   

Notes: Might add more to this later.

wigglebiscuit

Quote from: Chrystal on February 25, 2016, 04:33:55 PM
@Wiggle

Please don't make Dawn disappear?
Eh, she's a big softy. You've got nothing to worry about unless you beat up women for fun or, you know, try to worship her.

Chrystal

Quote from: wigglebiscuit on February 25, 2016, 06:46:14 PM
Eh, she's a big softy. You've got nothing to worry about unless you beat up women for fun or, you know, try to worship her.

I don't think either of those is particularly likely. Dawn is something of a pacifist and is also a very scientific, logical person who isn't going to worship anyone or anything... (You might say that although she's classified as an Arcanist, she sees herself as more of a Technician). No what had me worried was:

Quote from: wigglebiscuit on February 25, 2016, 10:32:52 AM
Notes: People seem to disappear around her with unnerving frequency. These people come in two flavors: ... Two are those with a particular disposition, whether male or female, that being both sexually attracted to the feminine gender and naturally submissive.

That last bit rather describes Dawn quite accurately! *giggles*

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

ElvenKitten

wigglebiscuit

@Chrystal: no worries either way. It's mainly background text; nothing I'd actually attempt on a PC.

Chrystal

*giggles*

That's a relief... Of course you could, as suggested, have Dahlia try it, but let me know via PM, so Dawn gets a warning. This would have to be after she's begun to trust in her abilities a bit though!

ElvenKitten

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Howard, Emily
Hair: Brown, Long
Build: Petite
Major:Technician.

Bio: Emily was always good with computers and had a habit of pushing the limits of what was sensible or legal. During a school trip the Bletchley she found a hidden notebook written by Turing himself. Using the information in the notebook she discovered how to build some interesting and sometimes dangerous devices She succeeded in creating a number of programs that could alter reality itself and even create a petrification gun using a 3D cammera.  As she continued she got bolder with her work, ignorant of the damage she could inflict on the world     

She tried an experiment on a grand scale using her school's computer network and the local Mobile phone base station. If someone from the Miskatonic before she inadvertently released a tentacled abomination in the middle of Buckinghamshire.

Emily is generally inept in social situations and her blunt honesty can get her into trouble at times. She is generally won over with a good cup of tea or a new electronic device to tinker with

Talents: Emily can create computer programs and mobile apps and devices that blur the line between science and magic  and powerful weapons of various sorts. Her endless tinkering means she can fix most electronic devices.

Flaws: Emily is fairly weak physically and fairly pathetic and anything requiring running throwing or climbing. She can come across as being a little arrogant and condescending to those she views as less intelligent. She is also overly eager to use her latest inventions in the field without testing so she knows what it actually does

Notes: She carries around a modified iPhone loaded with useful aps that she calls the NecronoiPhone. She is also a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and films.

Crash

Well crap EK just took the exact concept I have been working on.  Back to the drawing board.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

ElvenKitten

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

ElvenKitten

wigglebiscuit

Quote from: Chrystal on February 26, 2016, 08:39:38 AM
*giggles*

That's a relief... Of course you could, as suggested, have Dahlia try it, but let me know via PM, so Dawn gets a warning. This would have to be after she's begun to trust in her abilities a bit though!
I'd love to. Maybe if the GM approves my concept we can work something out.

Crash

EK - No worries.

Name: Butler, Sydney
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black, Tight Curly Bob
Build:  Fit
Major: Antiquarian

Bio: Sydney is just an ordinary young woman.  Well, ordinary for a kid who was raised by globe-trotting, insanely rich antiquities dealers.  Sydney was homeschooled by Bedouin wise men, Zulu shamans and Tibetan monks to name just a few.  She learned to swim in the Nile, how to rock climb in the Himalayas and how to read from unutterable grimoires.  She was also taught the finer points of bribing government officials, avoiding customs and how to negotiate prices on ancient Babylonian cutlery.  Let’s just say that her parents were not the most ethical of people, but they did lead exciting lives.

While her parents were digging through ancient ruins and eldritch tombs Sydney was left to her own explorations.  She has dodged poison darts, accidently read from the cursed walls of Angkor Uln, colored in Cultes des Goules and mentioned the unmentionable.  Somehow through wits, arcane knowledge and an uncanny amount of luck she escaped childhood relatively unscathed except she really didn’t have many friends.  It wasn’t that Sydney was a shy or introverted or mean child, it was simply a matter of her parent’s lifestyle keeping constantly on the move.   She had (and has) numerous pen pals sprinkled about the world, but she has few real friends.

Sydney and her family were in London when the black limo arrived.  She is completely confounded as to how she count have entered the car in London and got out of it in the states, but figured it was simply her parent’s way of kicking her out on her own for a while.  Leave it to them to set her up with her own mystery to solve.  Miss LaHotep explained a bit of the curriculum while on their way to the university which only served to add to Sydney’s excitement.  This was going to be a grand adventure and it was all her own.  She might finally be able to spend a few years in one local and get to know her peers for longer than a few months.

Talents: Sydney has a number of practical skills she learned from her parents.  She knows how to swim and climb and ride camels and horses.  She can pick a lock and disarm strange and overly complex traps.  She has a vast knowledge of the occult for someone her age and an insight into the strange and unusual.  Sydney is also well travelled.  Unknown even to Sydney, by reading the Cursed Walls of Ankor Uln she unlocked access to her past lives and finds herself knowing how do the strangest things, like wielding a khopesh or being able to speak the language of the Bird People.  Above all Sydney has uncanny luck.  She always seems to stumble on a secret passage or the incantation needed to seal away the fungoid horrors of ancient Leng.  It can be both a gift and a curse.

Flaws: Sydney has a strong personality and can be overly aggressive.  She also has a curious streak a mile long which gets her in no end of trouble.  Like her parents Sydney can be morally ambiguous at times.  She likes pretty things and while she has all the money in the world she needs she prefers the planning and excitement of a good heist.  If someone befriends Sydney she will be unfailingly loyal to them even if it means her getting in trouble to help them out.

Notes: Sydney is often the aggressor in a relationship and has a dominant personality.  She also like bunnies and fro-yo.

TheSilentBang

For your approval.

Name: Farmer, Meredith
Hair: Blond, long
Build: Slender
Major: Paranormal Investigator

Bio: Meredith's earliest memories are of the orphanage. Some nights, when the darkness takes hold of her mind, she will try and remember her parents, what they looked and sounded like, but all she can bring to mind are memories filled with pain and horror and the sounds of children sobbing softly in the night. The sobbing never stops.

Life in the orphanage was harsh. The building was old and dirty. Wind would blow in through windows that wouldn't shut properly. The food was simple and unappetising. Tough, uncaring nuns who would beat the children for the smallest of indiscretions filled Meredith's nightmares throughout her childhood. The conditions forced her to become tough, to bear the harsh surroundings, to stand up for herself and the other children. Canings were regular for Meredith, a result of her continued battle against the nuns, and a scar on the back of her legs serves as a permanent reminder of her struggle.

It was shortly after her first caning that the strangeness began to happen. To begin with it was disappearances. Over the course of several years, two children and three more nuns simply vanished without a trace or explanation. Fearful for their safety, Meredith tried her hardest to find the two orphans. The nuns she couldn't care less about. One, a little girl, she managed to track down to a nearby park where she was sleeping in a groundskeeper's shed; the other she never found. Sometimes, objects would begin moving around rooms of their own accord; windows would smash for no reason. The other children were scared so Meredith tried her best to calm them. She was pretty sure some of the nuns could have done with her help too.

At Fifteen, Meredith decided that she too needed to escape the orphanage and during one stormy night she climbed out of her bedroom window and disappeared into the night. She moved from town to town taking any kind of low skilled work she could find. Waitressing in diners, cleaning out toilets, whatever it took to keep her fed and safe at night. She didn't know what she was moving towards but she knew what she was running from. And she never forgot the little boy that she failed to save.

Wherever she goes in the country, though, she always comes across cases of strange goings on that the police have given up on. Of young men and women who have disappeared right from under the noses of their loved ones, of frogs falling from the sky, and strange noises during the night. She reads about them in the papers or overhears chatter between mothers drinking coffee. It's become a kind of hobby of hers, piecing together snippets of information and chasing clues and trying to find the answers during her lunch break at the diner, or during her nights at the hostel before she passes out from exhaustion. The fact that she hasn't found anything yet doesn't dissuade her from trying. People are scared and they deserve someone trying to help them, even if it is only a homeless teenage girl.

Talents: Can withstand cold and a certain amount of physical pain well. Strong reasoning and problem solving skills. Can brew a mean cup of coffee and makes amazing pancakes.

Flaws: For all of her outwardly projected toughness and bravado, Meredith is quite fragile inside. She is haunted by her experiences growing up in the orphanage and sometimes feels the stress and fear overflowing inside of her until it becomes too much to bear. She is a kind person but her kindness could be taken advantage of.

Notes: Meredith is a heavy sleeper.
[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[td][/td][td][/td]
[td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

wigglebiscuit

My concept didn't pass muster with the GM. Since there is another app for a paranormal investigator, I'm gonna bow out. You kids have fun.

MissFire

Name: Lobo, Lucienne
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black, Short
Build: Athletic
Major: Alchemist

Bio:
Alchemy. The scientific practice of manipulating and altering matter by using natural energy. This act is known as "Transmutation" and its sequence is usually described as:

Comprehension - Understanding the inherent structure and properties of the atomic or molecular makeup of a particular material to be transmuted, including the flow and balance of potential and kinetic energy within.
Deconstruction - Using energy to break down the physical structure of the identified material into a more malleable state so as to be easily reshaped into a new form.
Reconstruction - Continuing the flow of energy so as to reform the material into a new shape.

The proper application of this craft requires not only a full understanding of chemistry and ancient alchemical theory, but also a sort of natural talent towards recognizing and manipulating the physical objects with energy, which require uncommon levels of intelligence and aptitude. Those remarkable individuals capable of studying and practicing alchemy are known as "Alchemists". Lucienne "Lux" Lobo is a fifth generation Alchemist, an art long thought dead. Now only practiced in secret in odd corners of the world, Alchemists were once common place. Her parents were wary of the dangers inherant in Alchemy and never told their daughter about the family's amazing craft. Especially not once they moved to the United States to start a new life. Lux's grandfather, though, was a man of tradition. Despite his granddaughter's rebellious nature he had faith in her and in the art of Alchemy. Upon her sixteenth birthday, he began teaching her under the condition that she never use the skills publicly unless absolutely necessary. Alchemy was a dying art that deserved to be preserved, but the modern public would not understand it.

All went well for the next three years and Lux proved to be a quick study. Exceedingly smart despite her 'punk' appearance, Lux found the science behind it endlessly interesting and easy to grasp. However, one evening when Lux was out with a group of friends they were accosted by a pair of armed muggers. There was a struggle, one of the muggers shot one of Lucienne's friends and in a moment of panic she used Alchemy to impale the other assailant on a spike of concrete. The police arrived soon after and detained Lux for questioning. After being ushered into a holding cell, the next thing Lux remembers is waking up in a limo.

Talents: Lux is a talented young Alchemist and can do a wide number of transmutations. Her specialty in the field is common calcite and she can manipulate it in a wide number of interesting and useful ways so long as she has some of the substence on hand. A little bit can go a long way; a single stick of chalk can provide enough 'fuel' for a number of transmutations, depending on the size of the object she creates. She has a keen scientific mind and understands the chemical makeup and properties of most natural substances.

Flaws: Brash, hotheaded, and known to disrespecting authority. Lux can be quite the handful to deal with. The incident with her friends is still fresh in her mind and she may be hesitant to befriend anyone else, as she considers herself a bit of a failure for letting her friend die. Lux also has a fear of heights and is uncomfortable in tight spaces.

Notes: Theme: Ready, Steady, Go
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

MissFire

Okay, I've read this over. Here are some remarks in order.

Sakurako Miyazaki is approved.
Zenkai, that would be fine. She could fit as an Arcanist.
Dawn Echa Quachegan is approved.
Chrystal, I like that idea. It might be tough to coordinate but I think we can make it work.
Amanda Brie is not approved just yet. Profile needs work. Needs more details, such as where her magical talents lie.
Emily Howard is not approved just yet. Techs are science only, no blending of magic. Think Venture Bros. Super science!
Sydney Butler is approved.
Meredith Farmer is approved.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Chrystal

ElvenKitten

Well in mythos type stuff the boundary between magic and technology is a bit thin :P. But I can make a few tweaks to the concept.

MissFire

- Sima Yi

Chrystal

Quote from: MissFire on February 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM
Let's hold off on second characters for now.

Okay. I will keep her under wraps.

Quote from: ElvenKitten on February 26, 2016, 04:52:52 PM
Well in mythos type stuff the boundary between magic and technology is a bit thin :P. But I can make a few tweaks to the concept.

My idea regarding technology in this setting is kind-of like the character "Buddy/Syndrome" in Mr Incredible - he has no actual super-powers, so he makes his own.

Er, just purely out of curiosity, what category would an herbalist come in? Someone who collects wile and generally poisonous plants and uses them to make potions that do unexpected things?

Oh, by the way, I'm sort of assuming that as the characters mature and grow that their powers will too?

Crash

Chrystal - Alchemist would fit that description.

Chrystal

MissFire

OOC is up! Those of you that have been accepted, please post your characters there when you find the time. Feel free to chat!
    - Sima Yi