Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Started by Anteros Vox, December 14, 2012, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anteros Vox

Pumpkin Seeds

I believe this would best be served in another area.  Debate over this topic, if there was to be any, would raise a lot of feelings and would be a sore subject.

Callie Del Noire

I'm too stunned to think of what to say... I agree with Pumpkin.. this is something that needs to be shelved for a bit.

Star Safyre

I'll only say this much: There are twenty dead children, and six adults gave their lives trying to protect them.  The topics of politics and debate shouldn't be the first reaction.  Or the second.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

HairyHeretic

Human nature being what it is, I guarantee someone was using it to score points for their view within the hour.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Star Safyre

For me, it isn't the act themselves that lower my faith in humanity.  Mental illness happens, inhumanity to mankind happens, cruelty for one to another happens, evil happens.  One act by one person isn't enough for me to be sick at heart at the barren depths humans can sink to.  It's the cheapening of tragedy by tagging it to a political dogma or chest-pounding via hypothetical personal reactions that pains me.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Moraline

I just heard about this myself a short while ago.

My heart goes out to the families.

Callie Del Noire

Please close this thread.. I don't think we need to discuss it yet.

Beguile's Mistress

The purpose of the thread is to offer a place for condolences to the victims and their families and comfort for each other.  If that isn't possible for someone they are welcome to move on and not leave a post.

Debate the issues elsewhere please.

TheGlyphstone

Doesn't that make PR+C an odd place to put the thread, then?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scribbles

This is just... sick. My heart goes out to the families, I can't imagine how they're feeling at this point.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Pointless Digression

I'm going to let The Onion handle this.

WASHINGTON—Following the fatal shooting this morning at a Connecticut elementary school that left at least 27 dead, including 20 small children, sources across the nation shook their heads, stifled a sob in their voices, and reported fuck everything. Just fuck it all to hell.

All of it, sources added.

“I’m sorry, but fuck it, I can’t handle this—I just can’t handle it anymore,” said Deborah McEllis, who added that “no, no, no, no, no, this isn’t happening, this can’t be real.” “Seriously, what the hell is this? What’s even going on anymore? Why do things like this keep happening?”

Continued McEllis, before covering her face with her hands, “Why?”

Despairing sources confirmed that the gunman, armed with a semiautomatic assault rifle—a fucking combat rifle, Jesus—walked into a classroom full of goddamned children where his mother was a teacher and, good God, if this is what the world is becoming, then how about we just pack it in and fucking give up, because this is no way to live.

I mean, honestly, all 315 million Americans confirmed.

“Well, I suppose we have to try to pick up the pieces and make some sort of sense of this tragedy and—you know what? Fuck it, I can’t do this,” said Connecticut resident Michael Zaleski, his remarks understandable given the circumstances, because, holy shit, what else can one say? “I’m sorry, but I can’t fucking do this. Can you? Can anyone?”

Witnesses said the gunman fired at least 100 rounds during his deadly rampage, which, according to children in the school—goddamnit, how? How? Twenty children. Dead. In a fucking school.

No. No, no, no.

“I just feel so [why does it even matter what this person said when no words can bring 20 dead kids back to life?]” said some person who, just like everyone else, is completely unable to process or handle any of this. “It’s awful. Just too awful to bear.”

Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust with whatever abhorrent bastard did this and with the world at large for ever allowing it to happen, as well as with politicians, with the NRA, and above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone—Christ, as if that were even fucking possible, as if anyone could change what happened, as if the same fucking bullshit isn’t going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it’s time to change the way we live, so what’s the point? What the hell is the goddamned point?

“I…” said Tom Miller, 27, after reading an article about the tragedy online. “I just…”

“…” he added.

At press time…screw it, there’s nothing else to say.

As a teacher of children, I've been trying to keep it together today. I went out to dinner, sat at the bar. Of course, one of the channels was news coverage from Connecticut. I couldn't. I lost it there in the goddamned restaurant.

Ariel

This makes me want to cry. Twenty innocent children! Children! The mere thought.. I can't take this anymore, you guys. This world is going to shit. I wouldn't be surprised if the world ends on the 21st. I mean, first the Batman shooting and now this.. I don't understand how someone can have a shitty day, pick up a gun, and say, "My life sucks, let's go ruin someone else's!"

No, no, no, no, no..

Twenty.. kids...

I'm fucking thisclosetocryingrightnow. Someone please tell me that son of a bitch was arrested. I do not want to start a political debate here, but he deserves the death penalty.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Oniya

Quote from: Uprising on December 15, 2012, 11:53:36 PM
Someone please tell me that son of a bitch was arrested. I do not want to start a political debate here, but he deserves the death penalty.

He's already gotten it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ariel

Right, I just got done reading an article and I just found that out.. Fucking coward.
Not accepting new RPs

Izzie Aditi

“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Ariel

Not accepting new RPs

Izu

God... There is this coverage on one of the online newspapers over here that had posted a little info about all the children and the adults who were killed and I lost it - the past couple of days were long and I was busy and I just stayed away from the news, even though I did hear about it, but now... I can't stop the tears. So many innocent souls. So many families... There will be so many unopened gifts this Christmas...  :'( :'(

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Branwen

Quote from: Pointless Digression on December 15, 2012, 09:46:22 PM
As a teacher of children, I've been trying to keep it together today. I went out to dinner, sat at the bar. Of course, one of the channels was news coverage from Connecticut. I couldn't. I lost it there in the goddamned restaurant.

That's okay.  I'm a teacher too, and we're people.  People get to cry.  People need to cry.

You're dealing with it, and you're going to deal with it for every kid you teach and who comes to you as a mentor.  You have to be strong Monday morning for them.  It's going to be a very tough day for you, for all of us who teach, but we're going to do it.  Our kids expect us to.

So we have to lose it now and just like everything else tuck it away while we're in the classroom.  That bell rings, we're contact point number one for help.  The bell rings again, kids are gone, we go find someone to be our help, our strength, or just sit alone in our dark, quiet rooms and let it go.

And there's no shame in that.  There's no shame in any emotion you feel right now or Monday or random times in the coming months or years.

The only thing I will not allow in my classes Monday is the mention of the murderer's name or discussion of him.  He is a nonentity, someone whom I will work to erase from my mind and from history.  I don't care if it's wrong or petty, he does not deserve a legacy other than forgetting.  I will work to remember one teacher, one child from it for the rest of my life.  I know I can't hold them all, but I can get two.

fireandblood

The police say they've found evidence of a "reason" behind it... But can there really be a reason behind something this truly awful? How can someone try to explain away the murder of innocent children and the teachers trying to protect them?

I think the only explanation is evil. Simple as that.

But you know what they say... hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure someone will find a reason to blame someone or something else. And that truly sickens me, because in trying to crack open the "mystery" of the murderer, everyone forgets the people who lost their lives and the families who will have to face a most empty Christmas this year.

Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Aveille Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6
Rachel Davino, 29
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Russeau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27

I won't forget them.

Moraline

Quote"A man stabbed 22 primary school students in a knife attack in China today, officials said, the latest in a series of assaults."
~ http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/man-stabs-22-children-in-china-authorities-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=36843&NewsCatID=356   December/14/2012

This happened on the same day I think.

It just boggles the mind. Why the children?

Ryven

Quote from: fireandblood on December 16, 2012, 08:31:40 AM
I think the only explanation is evil. Simple as that.

I'd like to think the man responsible was not in his right mind rather than simply a bad person.  It's a terrible tragedy.  However, facts are still coming in and still changing.  At first the media thought it was his brother, Ryan Lanza, instead of Adam.  They first thought he only used 2 pistols and left the assault rifle in the car, but now the media is saying he also used the rifle.  It's hard to believe much of anything the news is telling everyone about this because facts are continually changing.

Quote from: Moraline on December 16, 2012, 09:43:06 AM
This happened on the same day I think.

It just boggles the mind. Why the children?

There could have been any number of reasons for why, in the CT case, he shot them.  If it turns out he was abused which opens up a whole new side of the story, he could have seen himself as one of those kids and instead of allowing them to be subjected to the same thing, he decided, wrongfully, to 'save' them from the same abuse.  The problem with asking rational questions in a situation like this is that the source was acting in an irrational manner.

Why the children?  We don't know for certain yet.  I'd like to think he wasn't simply killing them out of cold blood.  I think there was just something deeper in him that had caused him to lose all sense of rational thought.  If that is the case, the question I want to know is why didn't someone notice something was wrong with him sooner?

fireandblood

Quote from: Ryven on December 16, 2012, 10:07:00 AM
I'd like to think the man responsible was not in his right mind rather than simply a bad person.  It's a terrible tragedy.  However, facts are still coming in and still changing.  At first the media thought it was his brother, Ryan Lanza, instead of Adam.  They first thought he only used 2 pistols and left the assault rifle in the car, but now the media is saying he also used the rifle.  It's hard to believe much of anything the news is telling everyone about this because facts are continually changing.

To me, it doesn't much matter whether or not he was a "bad person." To kill a child is an act of evil, plain and simple. While I see where you're coming from - and I definitely take mental illness and child abuse very seriously as causes behind acts such as this - it takes a certain kind of evil to look into a 6 year-old's face and make a decision to pull the trigger. And of course this is my opinion, and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to yours. I just can't fathom that anything other than evil can be behind an act such as this, no matter what the "intention" was to begin with.

I understand that the details are changing, but one fact remains the same - this person killed 27 human beings, including himself. And to me, no matter what he thought he was doing, that is an act that cannot be forgiven.

Ryven

Quote from: fireandblood on December 16, 2012, 11:22:32 AM
To me, it doesn't much matter whether or not he was a "bad person." To kill a child is an act of evil, plain and simple. While I see where you're coming from - and I definitely take mental illness and child abuse very seriously as causes behind acts such as this - it takes a certain kind of evil to look into a 6 year-old's face and make a decision to pull the trigger. And of course this is my opinion, and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to yours. I just can't fathom that anything other than evil can be behind an act such as this, no matter what the "intention" was to begin with.

I understand that the details are changing, but one fact remains the same - this person killed 27 human beings, including himself. And to me, no matter what he thought he was doing, that is an act that cannot be forgiven.

I will agree to disagree.  I don't condone killing of innocent life, but I cannot make a judgment based solely on the fact that this specific act of killing a child is 'evil'.  Evil is a broad and subjective term.  One person's evil is another person's good.  I wont condemn the man completely because he killed people because I think there were other forces at work that may have helped lead him to this action.  He does bear blame.  Don't get me wrong, but I don't think he did this without being influenced by other forces.