News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

grdell's Weight Loss Blog - Week 11

Started by grdell, May 30, 2011, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdell

Okay, here's the situation.

I'm somewhat overweight. Not actually obese, but I could definitely lose some pounds. I have been this way pretty much my whole life.

Recently, my doctor told me my blood pressure was somewhat high and he was concerned. I told him I didn't want to be on high blood pressure medication, and that I could take care of it myself by losing the excess weight and getting in shape. He wanted me to lose 80 pounds.

When I need to, I can do just about anything. I went to the gym 6 days a week, seriously cut back on how much I was eating, watched my sodium intake.

I lost 30 pounds. A good start. People were telling me they could see the difference and they were impressed.

Then I had the week from hell. I was hospitalized three times - in one week! I came down with a vicious flu.

Then I got laid off.

Needless to say, all of my efforts were at first halted, and then reversed.

And then, as is the case with these things, before I had the chance to really get back on track, the doctor wanted to see me again. And of course, having seen it so many times before, he does not believe that I had actually done anything and that I'm just a typical lazy slob American. So he puts me on the high blood pressure medicine. "Just temporarily," he says. "Until you can get it down yourself." But I can see in his face that he doesn't believe that I'm really going to do anything.

I need to prove him wrong. I need to lose the weight, get in shape, and get my BP down myself. Damn his little pills.

I can do this.

But a support network never hurt anyone, and has helped plenty of people. So I plan on logging everything here. I will post my progress as a personal responsibility. It will help me to know that if I have to tell the community about all my successes and failures, that the successes will be more and the failures less.

So today, day 1. I got up early and headed to the gym.

They were closed.

I totally forgot that it was a holiday.

But, undeterred, I went for a 5 mile walk along the East Coast Greenway. (Thanks, Tschel23, for kicking my butt out the door!)

So I can't tell you today what my current weight is or exactly how many calories I burned, but I still feel that I'm off to a good start.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Tschel23

'Oh, just to be in the warm glow of all this testosterone.' Farscape: Aeryn Sun Episode: Family Ties

Ryven

I am interested to see your progress.  I just began a diet I had done about a year ago again a few days ago, and I will be working out today as well.  I lost like 25 pounds when I did this last year.  My weight is fine, but I'm hoping to change the composition from fat to muscle.  It's been very hard though.

Izu

I will be following your progress as well *nods* I'm going to try lose the last bits of weight (or get the proportions I want no matter the weight. Muscles > fat) this coming summer. Started my diet today. Gonna work out tomorrow (today I'm doing some catching up with my studies). Feel free to PM/IM me if you wanna talk about those things ^^

Good luck!

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Aiden

Good luck to ya man.

What else are you doing to help your progress, I would suggest calorie counting, I found it helps me keep motivated not to snack or indulge in something when you see on paper how quickly those damn numbers add up.

Oniya

Always willing to be a cheerleader in these things :-)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HockeyGod

I'm here to cheer you on too, grdell. I seem to have gotten a little soft so I got out the check book and purchased a personal trainer. He's a bit of a Nazi, but I guess that's helpful!

We'll all do it together!!!

Anjasa

I'll add my support here :)

I was on antidepressents for a while back around 2004-2005. I gained a lot of weight.

I was a 5'3" girl and I was 205lbs in 2006.

In 2008 I decided I needed to do something about it. I cut out pop, chocolate bars, fast food, EVERYTHING for about 6 months. I treated myself a couple of times over that period, but I was super strict. I started exercising and by 2009 I had dropped to 120-125, which is where I currently fluctuate.

You can do it :) Just remember - you're allowed to make mistakes, but just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you should use it as an excuse to let everything go to hell. For instance having one piece of cake doesn't mean you screwed up so bad you might as well have another two slices!

That's what helped me get through slip ups, anyways (and we all make them!)

grdell

I allow myself "cheat days". For me, it's every Saturday after 4:00 p.m. All bets are off on Saturday nights. I found that that really helps me stay on course the other six and a half days.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

grdell

Went to the gym today. I'm only starting back out, so today was a cardio concentration. I burned 235 calories - ten minutes warmup on a stationary bike, 15 minutes of carido on an elliptical machine, ten minutes cooldown back on the bike. I could have gone longer on the elliptical, but I didn't want to overdo it since it's been a while. Not bad for a start, I think.

So that I can track my progress most objectively, I got on the scale and measured my stomach (measured right at the navel). Here are the numbers:

As of 31 May, 2011:
Weight: 230 pounds.
Stomach measurement: 48 inches.

I was horrified to find I had a 48 inch stomach. One more piece of motivation, I think.

I plan on concentrating primarily on cardio for the first two weeks to get my strength there back, but tomorrow I signed up for a demonstration session of some new all-around resistance equipment they have. I know the importance of alternating between cardio and full-body resistance, especially in eliminating visceral fat (which is what I have in higher concentration than subdermal fat).

My diet was successful yesterday - no lapses. I know it's early yet, but I trust my self-control. I am eating regularly at three-hour intervals, focusing on small, low-calorie, low-sodium, high-protein meals. I am also working more fresh vegetables into my diet. I eliminated the vast majority of processed foods from my regular diet a long time ago, and I almost never eat fast food anymore. I drink only water and fruit juices.

My one weakness is chocolate. But I control that, too. Dark chocolate is my favorite, anyway, and the darker it is, the better it is for you. My 3:00 snack is a one ounce mixture of raw almonds and 60% dark chocolate, for a total of 145 calories, 0 sodium and 5 protein. I find that it helps me tremendously knowing that I still have at least that one small indulgence every day - and that that one small indulgence is also pretty darn good for me.

I have also found, in just one day, that keeping this blog and posting it here for all to see is another tremendously effective motivator. I had one hell of a bad day yesterday, and I came damn close to giving up for at least one more day and binging - but knowing that I had started this and posted it kept me on track.

I'd like to thank everybody that has stated that they'll help me; and everybody else, too, who's even just looked and not said anything. Knowing that all of you are watching me is really going to make the difference this time.

I can do it.

Tschel23

You CAN do it, and I'll be there to push you along if you need it. Go you!
'Oh, just to be in the warm glow of all this testosterone.' Farscape: Aeryn Sun Episode: Family Ties

Izu

Don't forget to drink lots of water! At least 8 glasses per day. Water helps your metabolism and skin *nods*

grdell

Quote from: Izu on May 31, 2011, 10:48:52 AM
Don't forget to drink lots of water! At least 8 glasses per day. Water helps your metabolism and skin *nods*

That's never been a problem. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I drink too much water, but I do drink a lot more than the 8 glasses a day figure. Especially after my second - yes, SECOND - batch of kidney stones. The doctor told me that since my body is obviously predisposed to making them, I have to fight that tendency as best I can, which means never getting even close to dehydrated. So yeah, lots of water for me. I take a 20 oz. water bottle to the gym with me, and it's invariably empty by the time I leave. I like to think that I drink more water before 8:00 AM than most people do all day!

Izu

*grins and thumbs up* I'm the same. I used to get tons of kidney problems when I was a teen, but around the age of 19-20 when I started trying to work on my weight I learned to drink water and now I prefer water to sodas and alcohol even. :3

grdell

Had a spinach salad for lunch yesterday with hard-boiled egg whites for protein. I did so well, in fact, that I discovered that my diet could tolerate a little grated cheese on my dinner pasta! It's the little things that matter...  :-)

I tried a new brand of Greek yogurt this morning. The trainer at the gym recommended that I eat Greek yogurt for the higher protein concentration, and mentioned the popular brand Chobani. But I'd tried Chobani previously and didn't care for it. Serendipitously enough, Cook's Illustrated magazine had run an article comparing different brands of Greek yogurt just last month, so I decided to try their highest recommended brand. I loved it! It's an actual Greek import called Olympus. I'm lucky enough that my local markets carried it. They don't carry a wide range of flavors, but I'm trying them all.

My demo this morning of the Gravity machines was cut short, so I have another free demo session on Friday. I made up the difference by doing more cardio. From what I felt this morning, though, they seem to be VERY effective. In the short time that I had on one, we did two different quad exercises, and they produced very different feelings in my legs, showing me that they were in fact working different parts of the muscle.  And the best part is that every exercise, no matter the target muscle group, also works core. I'm very much looking forward to a full session and then regular use.

Tschel23

Sounds like a great day so far! Go grdell!

Oniya

One thing about yogurt is that you can always buy the plain stuff and run it through the blender with your choice of flavorings.  Add some cucumber and garlic, and you've got a simple tzatziki, which is wonderful a a veggie dip or sandwich binder
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ryven

You don't even have to use a blender if you don't want to.  A small spoon of the jam of your choice changes plain yogurt into a fruit yogurt.  I've done it with blackberry and it turned out pretty awesome.

grdell

Right... forgot about that. I'll keep it in mind next time I go to the store. I'll pick up some plain and mix in some raspberry - my favorite!

Oniya

Only reason I mentioned the blender is because jams etc. have added sugar, and with summer here, the fresh stuff that's better diet-wise is going to be in season.

Oh - another thing you can do with the Greek yogurt is make cheese out of it.  It substitutes easily for higher-calorie cream cheese.  Mix in favorite spices for whatever taste you're looking for.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/yogurt-cheese-recipe/index.html

Captain Maltese

Losing a lot of weight is a lot of hard work. Don't forget that as you lose fat through excercising you will also build muscle, which is healthy to no end but also adds to your weight - and a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Also remember that even though you will do the daily grind, the weight loss will not fall along a straight line. The body fights the weight loss and tries hard to stabilize it... given a chance, say if you stop the weightloss plan for a while, it immediately starts rebuilding what was lost. But many many people succeed at losing weight every year. The determined ones.

Here's a little bit of fun, though. Although the weightloss isn't steady, you will find that your width will diminish steadily. Put aside one of your biggest pants and put it on once in a while. Having to hold up with both hands something that once was tight as a second skin, is very encouraging. Good luck grdell.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

grdell

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 01, 2011, 03:54:28 PM
Losing a lot of weight is a lot of hard work. Don't forget that as you lose fat through excercising you will also build muscle, which is healthy to no end but also adds to your weight - and a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Also remember that even though you will do the daily grind, the weight loss will not fall along a straight line. The body fights the weight loss and tries hard to stabilize it... given a chance, say if you stop the weightloss plan for a while, it immediately starts rebuilding what was lost. But many many people succeed at losing weight every year. The determined ones.

Here's a little bit of fun, though. Although the weightloss isn't steady, you will find that your width will diminish steadily. Put aside one of your biggest pants and put it on once in a while. Having to hold up with both hands something that once was tight as a second skin, is very encouraging. Good luck grdell.

I know. I've never been a big fan - because of my body type - of tracking fitness by weight. But everyone else is obsessed with it, so that's why I included weight along with stomach measurement. I know it won't come off easily or steadily or even consistently, but it WILL come off. I AM determined. And this blog is helping, too.

Thanks, Captain. I won't let you down, sir! *salutes*  ;)

Oniya

It might help to track some other fitness indices as well - like what weights you're using, or the time you can comfortably spend on the elliptical.  Seeing one thing improving can make up for another thing plateau-ing.

Captain Maltese

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

grdell

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 01, 2011, 04:11:59 PM
What is your BMI?

Don't talk to me about the gaddamn BMI. I hate the fucking BMI. Too many doctors in this country regard the BMI as some kind of scripture. I have done research on it, and it is actually pretty controversial. I have to find a new doctor anyway, because mine BELIEVES in the fucking BMI. He wants me at 150 pounds, and if I were 150 pounds, I would be dangersouly unhealthy thin. I would look terrible; malnourished. I have a very wide frame, heavy with muscle.

My BMI is 37.1. Dangrously obese. Yeah, right. Not even close. My trainer agrees, even if my idiot doctor doesn't. Yes, I know I'm overweight. Yes, I know my stomach measurement is dangerously large and I have to bring it down. But I can guarntee you that even when I get down to a more reasonable stomach measurement, I still won't be anywhere near the BMI's "ideal" range.

Sorry to rant and curse, but this is a real sore point for me. I'm below average height while simultaneously being above average in terms of shoulder width. This is genetic - it's just my bone structure. I can't help that - no matter what the AMA believes. They can talk all they want about "maintaining a healthy weight", but I want them to come to a goddamn consensus as to what that REALLY means (which they have NOT done) before they shove their stupid fucking pointless BMI down my throat. The BMI does not really apply to people with my build. THE MAN WHO POPULARIZED THE BMI ADMITTED AS MUCH.

The worst part is that I actually got into an argument with a doctor on this topic. I disgreed with him. You know what he said? He didn't form any coherent arguments of his own, and disregarded all of the points that I brought up. And you know why? Because he was a doctor and I wasn't. That was it. In his mind, he was automatically right and I was automatically wrong just because he paid for med school. Fucking closed-minded asshole.

Sorry again, but I really hate the fucking BMI.