[NCES] Exalted: Yu-Shan High

Started by kongming, May 09, 2013, 02:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

Well, I had originally written the headmistress to be an NPC, albeit one who appears very infrequently:
As for the headmistress:
Silver Wing Tyrant (Solar: Zenith) is fairly old, and reasonably well-known across the realms as a philosopher and scholar. She is not known to be an accomplished fighter (though probably has some skill just by dint of surviving this long, and she *does* tend to carry a goremaul that can change to a cane as she wills it). Most of her time of late has been spent in Yu-Shan, pursuing scholarly matters.

She wants this to succeed, and indeed wants to turn the school into an army of those ready to change the world and bring about the new era. That said, while she doesn't concern herself with every single deed, she is swift to deliver punishment for anything she personally witnesses, and odds are good that she enjoys it. Basically, Whisper might find an appointment with the headmistress only if her actions are soul-crushingly cruel.

That said, the Prez is of equal rank, so it wouldn't be destructive to put the headmistress in player control - you can change the name and caste there, likewise appearance and so on, though I'd prefer her basic desire and motivations to be the same.

Alternatively, if you wanted to go for the Terrestrial option, then you could... well, you'd be best-off going for a high year level, I imagine, given the requirements. I'm okay with her gaining initiation to a Sidereal Martial Art Circle, likewise the Charm that makes it easier.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Keelan

I think I'll go the Terrestrial then; it's the more interesting concept after all ^_^

...and the biggest charm-Funnel... 2 CMA Initiation Charms, 1 full CMA, 1 MA-assist charm, and then as much SMA as I can cram into her form (she will likely be limited to one SMA; it will probably DEFINE her essence after all...).  I think it's appropriate she be a Student Teacher too, given that this would be a prodigious feat for a Terrestrial meaning there is much she can teach others ^_^  That, and she might also double as something on the Student Council, though I'm not sure what... any suggestions from anyone are fine with me on that part, btw ^_^

Anything special I should have in mind for making her sheet up and working on her history etc.?  Her name will be V'neef Seiya, my longest-living character next to Yifa Kaneko, (daughter of Yurgen Kaneko, aka the Bull of the North!), who is the 7th Daughter of V'neef and - shockingly! - a Water DB!  (I will explain in detail with the sheet ^_^)

ShadowFox89

Quote from: kongming on May 22, 2013, 07:06:20 AM
The Fiends have Virtues, just... twisted through their own perceptions!

And although it is perhaps a little unfair that Solars get such good rates on their Essence gain, I don't think changing everyone else to match them is the best idea.

Why not? I do it in all my games, and most of my ST's do it. There's no reason for the discrepancy to exist between Solar Essence BP costs and Dragon-blooded. DB already pay more for charms and get less for them.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Keelan

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 22, 2013, 10:12:59 AM
Why not? I do it in all my games, and most of my ST's do it. There's no reason for the discrepancy to exist between Solar Essence BP costs and Dragon-blooded. DB already pay more for charms and get less for them.
Yeah, all the games i have been in have said to use the best value for anything so that xp and bp spending was as fair as possible.  I especially say this as a db looking at essence 5 needing 30 bp, and then loads of expensive charms to boot...

ShadowFox89

To put it another way, a Solar Teacher would have 31bp to a Dragon-blooded teacher's 23bp. A difference of 8bp is hardly fair, that's barely worth a dragon-blood's charm.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

kongming

Well I was thinking that the cheap power-gain of Solars is actually their thing, just like Lunars can get big stat gains by turning into things, Sidereals get awesome martial arts (and fate weaving), Terrestrials get better backgrounds (to some extent), better usage of Reflexive Charms and the Cooperative Charms, and so on and so forth.

But I guess the fact is, people will still put "Solars" at the top if they list them in order of power, and the Cooperative thing isn't actually as amazing as it could have been (it would have been nice if it made the powers stronger when used together or let them Voltron together), and every book seems to add something new for Solars (using Anathema, I've seen the size of their Charm trees).

So, I'll let everyone buy their Essence at the Solar rate. Charms are a tricky one, given how they tend to have different costs. Suggestions?
I am aware this may mean some people suddenly have more bonus points on their already-completed non-Solar characters. I feel this is okay because everyone likes being told "you have some free stuff!"
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

AndyZ

Hmmm...maybe I should make something else besides Sapphire.

Edit: I just realized I completely forgot Arcane Fate.  How will that be handled?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Keelan

Charms I'd say just use the Solar ratings myself; more points for everyone that way! ^_^

Seriously, in my experience in a rather long-term (1year+ game), having everyone with the same BP and XP costs keeps things relatively fair and simple, with relatively regulated progression.  Means all player characters grow at about the same rate, everyone remains relatively more equal than the alternative cost version.  Power Scaling in Exalted is fucked as hell anyway, this does help it a little and that is saying something.

And a suggestion for Arcane Fate?  Say it is suspended in Yu Shan, though in Creation Proper it still exists (but by then we'd be practically immune to it I think, with how long we'd know each other so we wouldn't have to worry about it).

Also... any chance I can convince you to do something about Martial Arts Charm Costs?  The Charm Trees are going to KILL me >.<

Re Z L

Quote from: kongming on May 22, 2013, 07:01:07 PM
Well I was thinking that the cheap power-gain of Solars is actually their thing, just like Lunars can get big stat gains by turning into things, Sidereals get awesome martial arts (and fate weaving), Terrestrials get better backgrounds (to some extent), better usage of Reflexive Charms and the Cooperative Charms, and so on and so forth.

But I guess the fact is, people will still put "Solars" at the top if they list them in order of power, and the Cooperative thing isn't actually as amazing as it could have been (it would have been nice if it made the powers stronger when used together or let them Voltron together), and every book seems to add something new for Solars (using Anathema, I've seen the size of their Charm trees).

So, I'll let everyone buy their Essence at the Solar rate. Charms are a tricky one, given how they tend to have different costs. Suggestions?
I am aware this may mean some people suddenly have more bonus points on their already-completed non-Solar characters. I feel this is okay because everyone likes being told "you have some free stuff!"

With the errata including free combos for everyone, Terrestrials having free use of Reflexive Charms is kind of moot.

Everyone buying the extra essence at the Solar Rate would be very nice (and since a number of us have to buy it up anyway it helps even things out).

I don't see any problem with letting everyone buy charms at the same BP costs as Solars as well.  Solar (Abyssal/Infernal) charms are simply the most powerful of the lot of them, so why do their charms cost less than the weaker alternatives?  That's not to say that Terrestrial charms should be cheaper, but making them all the same keeps things a little more level considering the number of different kinds of Exalts we have going on so far.

Quote from: AndyZ on May 22, 2013, 07:03:01 PM
Hmmm...maybe I should make something else besides Sapphire.

Edit: I just realized I completely forgot Arcane Fate.  How will that be handled?

I just assumed that since everyone is in Yu-Shan either the Arcane Fate is probably inactive for the members of the school during their stay, or the students are given some kind of item that suppresses its effects (both positive and negative).
A&A

ShadowFox89

Quote from: kongming on May 22, 2013, 07:01:07 PM

Non-Solaroids (that is, anyone but Abyssals, Infernals, and Solars) generally have to pay more for a charm that does something similar, such as perfect defenses.

Quote from: Keelan on May 22, 2013, 07:31:10 PM
Charms I'd say just use the Solar ratings myself; more points for everyone that way! ^_^

Seriously, in my experience in a rather long-term (1year+ game), having everyone with the same BP and XP costs keeps things relatively fair and simple, with relatively regulated progression.  Means all player characters grow at about the same rate, everyone remains relatively more equal than the alternative cost version.  Power Scaling in Exalted is fucked as hell anyway, this does help it a little and that is saying something.

I'm in that same game, and pushed for the ST to use that rule ^^'

*steals Saiya's clothes and runs off*
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

How many teachers do we have right now?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

ShadowFox89

Oh, I did have a question. Can you "stack up" responsibilities? For instance, if I want to have my Alchie be a third year automata club president, captain of the disciplinary committee, and voting member of the student council?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Jefepato

As long as you're handing out the goodies, can Green Sun Princes have access to Sidereal-level MA too?  :P

Although, I might as well just start brainstorming ideas for weird Heretical Charms instead, since unlike MA I might actually have a use for those.

ShadowFox89

Sidereal MA really isn't worth the cost, unless you are looking to cherrypick :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

Well, if everyone's getting the bonus of Solars, does that mean that Solars can purchase the powers of others as well?  Or the extra stats at creation?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: AndyZ on May 22, 2013, 08:52:16 PM
Well, if everyone's getting the bonus of Solars, does that mean that Solars can purchase the powers of others as well?  Or the extra stats at creation?

Solars have Solar Circle Sorcery, the best crafting charms, the best combat charms, the most cost efficient perfect defenses.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

Guess I'll have to drop my cheerleader in order to make a character who utilizes all that, then.

ShadowFox89

Why would you do that? Don't you like your concept and execution?

I'm not interested in Sorcery or Martial Arts. And I don't plan on investing too much into crafting, Alchies don't require that much for crafting. Martial arts and Sorcery are just experience sinks that I don't see any use for, personally. All I'm interested in is not having to spend more for less.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

I kinda made her to be able to keep up decently with the rest of the group.  There's a lot you can do with a Solar but I mostly just took some Performance stuff and a CMA for some fun times with what would fit a cheerleader.  She's not going to be able to keep up with people who get to shapeshift, or have Destinies, or the crazy stuff that alchemicals get if the Solar-specific advantages are things that I didn't take, and none of them would really fit her concept.  She doesn't even really fit a Night; she just fit more of a fun concept that I'd have enough to get by on because of the prohibitive cost of getting Essence 6 and higher Charms.

I've played in Exalted games before where I'm second fiddle, and don't really want to do it again.

Edit: I checked.  At Essence 6, Alchemicals become a Colossus, where you apparently pretty much become a Warstrider.  Crikey.

ShadowFox89

And there is literally no official material printed on elder essence Alchemicals. I have no plans on bringing my character to Essence 6, because that's just too much of a headache. My intention with this character is someone I can have fun playing, not someone who is going to faceroll in combat.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

I don't really want to have an argument every time I type an opinion.  I'll just drop.  Everyone else have fun.

ShadowFox89

I'm not trying to make you drop or argue... just explain my view :\
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Re Z L

Not my cheerleader buddy  :(
A&A

Anon315

Quote from: Re Z L on May 22, 2013, 09:51:17 PM
Not my cheerleader buddy  :(

Not my cheerleader victim! :(

I kid, the rest of her squad would be my victims, I was hoping for a worthy opponent.

ShadowFox89

You could try accosting the Automata Club >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A