Warhhammer 40k?

Started by Baalborn87, September 30, 2012, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baalborn87

Thinking of starting a 40k themed RP. chances are it will be 3rd person (x looked over at B/ X moved to the door etc). Will be mostly free form but I shall add important stuff (location/mission/enemies etc).

Looking for interest and ideas people want to play (bear in mind there is no such thing as a female space marine in 40k).

LordMing

Very interested, though it doesnt look promising at the moment.  I play Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, well I used to before I had to move.  Let me know if you are still interested in trying
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Pumpkin Seeds

Tharic

Possibly interested.. Tried it before here and seen it fall apart unfortunately, but it's always on my list.

LordMing

There is great potential, but I usually would say to steer away from the space marines and SoB as they are a bit too erm...uptight.  You can do amazing things using the stuff from Rogue Trader though.  The eponymous Rogue Trader, striving to make a proper name for himself and his erstwhile and entrepeneurial cadre of misfit ne'erdowells drawn from the dredges and heights of Imperial society.  Or you could have an arbitrator team, and have a Judge Dredd style campaign of attempting to bring The Law to a hive city.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Pumpkin Seeds

Yes the Arbites was the way I went with my game, though I also did a Deathwatch component.  I think the history and "nobility" of the Space Marines is a great thing to delve into with roleplay.  Though I am surprised that there are not more Rogue Trader games on Elliquiy.  The setting and style is pretty much perfect for the flavor of E.  Also surprised no Black Crusade.

Tharic

I would agree. A Rogue Trader or Inquisitor style (Visions of a group game ala Eisenhorn comes to mind) seems to have potential. The downside that I've run into before here on E is when the game tends to be a bit more wide open, even Rogue Trader style. So you've got someone who's basically an enhanced human perhaps with a large fortune, then you've got someone playing who's an exiled Eldar, former Sisters of Battle, etc, etc, etc.. It's just too wide of a gap to even be realistic, no matter how cool it may seem.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, I think with Rogue Trader there definitely has to be some oversight.  There also has to be realistic consequences to certain classes that will actually, imo, hinder the party.  A player wants to be an Ork mercenary, well that blocks a lot of possibilities.  Sister of Battle in the group, then I hope you weren't wanting to be part of a radical force or use that super neat xeno tech the bad guy just dropped.  Rogue Trader would require a group that is willing to work together though because in general Rogue Trader gives itself well to Sandbox style.  A lot of communication needed between GM and players.  Probably where the players tell the GM their idea, the GM sets up the endeavors and starts giving them some kind of route to perform their action.

Pumpkin Seeds

Anyone get any ideas for this sorta thing?

Monfang

I'm always interested in 40K. Who's organizing this?

Pumpkin Seeds

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 08:35:34 AM
That..is to be decided.
Well, I don't have the books on hand, so I don't know if I can organize this. But I find the lore really interesting.

Pumpkin Seeds

Currently I do have both a Dark Heresy and a Deathwatch game going.  The size of both is fairly considerable so I'm not real inclined to take on another project.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 08:58:35 AM
Currently I do have both a Dark Heresy and a Deathwatch game going.  The size of both is fairly considerable so I'm not real inclined to take on another project.
Understandable. No sense on taking more than you can handle.

Pumpkin Seeds

So are people big on Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War, wha?

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
So are people big on Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War, wha?
I havne't played any of those.

HairyHeretic

My order of interest would probably run Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch and Only War.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Black Crusade would probably be a great one for E.  Maybe I can even play a girl space marine!  :: runs before she gets stuff thrown at her::

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 10:44:20 AM
Black Crusade would probably be a great one for E.  Maybe I can even play a girl space marine!  :: runs before she gets stuff thrown at her::
*STops throwing stuff after a while*

I don't know a lot about Warhammer 40K, but I know there are no female space marines. You can be a Sister of Battle.

Pumpkin Seeds

Psh, please.

Anyway, Black Crusade and Rogue Trader I do think are the most "E" style games.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 11:38:14 AM
Psh, please.

Anyway, Black Crusade and Rogue Trader I do think are the most "E" style games.
What makes you say that?

Pumpkin Seeds

One they are more open to women which is a mark over Deathwatch.  Yes, there are Sisters of Battle but Sisters can't participate in the Cohesion rule system which is a cornerstone of Deathwatch play.  Granted playing a male Space Marine isn't really like playing a "guy" character but it does deter women from playing.  Only War is a possibilty but while having access to the book I haven't gotten a chance to read through the pages.  My brother decided to run an Only War game at his work so I don't get to see the book and I'm not spending 60 whatever dollars on it.

Dark Heresy is cool but seems pretty strict.  I love all the conspiracy theories and stuff but it does lack that bravado.  Rogue Trader has bravado in spades.  Rogue Trader also has a lot of kinky stuff possible in the mix such as slave trades, access to brothels, exotic alien races, etc.  There's also the swashbuckling lifestyle.  Black Crusade is pretty much all about the naughty naughty and baddies of the universe.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 11:50:09 AM
One they are more open to women which is a mark over Deathwatch.  Yes, there are Sisters of Battle but Sisters can't participate in the Cohesion rule system which is a cornerstone of Deathwatch play.  Granted playing a male Space Marine isn't really like playing a "guy" character but it does deter women from playing.  Only War is a possibilty but while having access to the book I haven't gotten a chance to read through the pages.  My brother decided to run an Only War game at his work so I don't get to see the book and I'm not spending 60 whatever dollars on it.

Dark Heresy is cool but seems pretty strict.  I love all the conspiracy theories and stuff but it does lack that bravado.  Rogue Trader has bravado in spades.  Rogue Trader also has a lot of kinky stuff possible in the mix such as slave trades, access to brothels, exotic alien races, etc.  There's also the swashbuckling lifestyle.  Black Crusade is pretty much all about the naughty naughty and baddies of the universe.
I always thought that Rogue Trader would have the broadest selection of allies. Eldar, former space marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, ect.

Pumpkin Seeds

Rogue Trader does.  There are rules for Dark Eldar even and orks.  Plus through Rogue Trader you actually can branch off into almost every other game.

Monfang

Sounds like it'd be best then. You should open up a new thread for this.