News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalon29

Still irritated that Netflix is going to delay the release of Violet Evergarden for the US only. I don't understand why if they're willing to do simulcasts every where but the US they won't do it here but it is what it is unfortunately.

Added another show to my watch list this season on Friday though. Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, a series following  detectives and hitmen in a city where apparently 3% of the population are hitmen. It gave me a Durarara kind of feel for some reason. Not quite sure where the plot is going but the first episode hooked me enough to keep me waiting eagerly for next week's episode.

Sain

Started watching Violet Evergarden. Kinda liking it, though the dub feels a bit meh...
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Caeli

I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card... and loved it.  Beautiful music and animation as always, and I love that they've updated the technology to match the "modern day" (thinking specifically to those clunky "mobile phones" from the old series, hah!).  CLAMP has captured perfectly the essence of the old series, and I can't wait to see more.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

wander

Quote from: Sain on January 12, 2018, 04:55:54 AM
The new Devilman was quite enjoyable. Never managed to read through the manga because art hasn't aged so well, but they did nice job adapting and modernizing the story.

Watched Devilman Crybaby last week and I really enjoyed it myself. I have read the manga and it's a very faithful take on it, though with of course a few modernisations. Also some neat easter eggs to the older stuff, for example the Devilman girl that squirted acid in the tank where humans were experimenting on the demons was the original demon form for Miko, rather than the Spider, which itself was another demon that Akira fought in the manga. He actually in the manga got the gang members on his side by saving them from the Spider demon.

Can't go without talking about the new series without mentioning the super emotional beats the latter episodes have. Particularly the last three episodes. I won't mention the exact points for spoilers, though to anyone who's read the manga and those who have seen those episodes, you know which parts I mean. Damn. I believe the series reached it's emotional peak at the ending of Ep.9, so the final episode really felt more like it was going through the motions as they needed to end the series, though the last revelation which I knew must have been coming still hit me in the gut.

Great show, really great OST (I'm still listening to it). Obviously not for everyone due to it's explicit nature, though if you're okay with the content of the first episode, for sure worth it to carry on until the end.

8/10 and I'm only going that low because I realise content-wise it's not for everyone, for myself it was a real 95%.

Sain

Quote from: wander on January 20, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
Watched Devilman Crybaby last week and I really enjoyed it myself. I have read the manga and it's a very faithful take on it, though with of course a few modernisations. Also some neat easter eggs to the older stuff, for example the Devilman girl that squirted acid in the tank where humans were experimenting on the demons was the original demon form for Miko, rather than the Spider, which itself was another demon that Akira fought in the manga. He actually in the manga got the gang members on his side by saving them from the Spider demon.

Can't go without talking about the new series without mentioning the super emotional beats the latter episodes have. Particularly the last three episodes. I won't mention the exact points for spoilers, though to anyone who's read the manga and those who have seen those episodes, you know which parts I mean. Damn. I believe the series reached it's emotional peak at the ending of Ep.9, so the final episode really felt more like it was going through the motions as they needed to end the series, though the last revelation which I knew must have been coming still hit me in the gut.

Great show, really great OST (I'm still listening to it). Obviously not for everyone due to it's explicit nature, though if you're okay with the content of the first episode, for sure worth it to carry on until the end.

8/10 and I'm only going that low because I realise content-wise it's not for everyone, for myself it was a real 95%.

Oh yeah the OST is crazy ;D You're not the only one still listening to it.

CaptainNexus616

I need every person who is an active watcher of this thread to promptly smack me for not watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood sooner.

I have been told time and time again it was a really good show for someone like me but I was like "meh". After having nothing to watch on Netflix so long, I gave it a shot and have fallen in love with it. I even got a friend of mine who was hesitant on it, to watch it with me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Caeli

I've re-watched FMA:B in full at least three times.  The themes and messages, animation and character development, etc., are amazing.  As an anime fan, I'd have to say this is one of my top shows, and one I always recommend to folks.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Divine Tenacity

Rewatching Shokugeki no Soma: Food Wars while in-between new episodes of Gintama.

Its been a while since I got to watch Gintoki kick some ass with his determined dead-fish eyes!
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

Capone

Did Food Wars start airing again? Looked like they were taking a mid-season break and it was registered as being a full 24-episode season.

Divine Tenacity

No, not yet. I just really like this anime so I am watching it over again! :P
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

Capone

It definitely scratches a number of itches... or perhaps tickles and rubs a number of fancies? If I rewatch it I inevitably find myself craving some sort of sexy school-based RP. I'm pretty happy with some of the added stakes in season three, as season two had me worried it'd just fall into the same traps as every other shounen style show.

I wish I had more time available to me to watch anime right now so I could get back to updating my blog here. I think I was going to write a Log Horizon review next? But right now I'd like to check out Trigger's new anime, Darling in the Franxx.

Avalon29

Quote from: Capone on January 20, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Did Food Wars start airing again? Looked like they were taking a mid-season break and it was registered as being a full 24-episode season.

Looking at Anichart it looks like the second half of the season is slated for April.

I've been enjoying Darling in Franxx so far. Not quite sure what the big story is going to be so far but I'm intrigued by the bits of world building I've seen so far.

FMA:B is always good stuff as well. It took me a long time to get around to watching it. But finally did over the summer. Enjoyed it a lot.

On a somewhat different note, anybody see Netflix's and Polygon's new anime Godzilla movie? I enjoyed it. I would've loved a series so we could get more character building in but all and all I enjoyed it. And with Gen Urobuchi at the helm directing it, I'm interested in seeing what direction the rest of the trilogy is going to take.

Kiric Rand

I really need to find a new anime..... I have given up hope that the final manga arc of my favorite will ever show up.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Capone

Quote from: Avalon29 on January 20, 2018, 10:27:32 PMAnd with Gen Urobuchi at the helm directing it

Wait, WHAT?!

Holy shit, I was already gonna watch because Godzilla but fuck! Now I'm actually excited!

Sain

Ah Silky from Mahotsukai no Yome is such a heartwarming character ;D

TotesRider

I watched the first couple episodes of Darling in the FRANXX. I feel it's pretty much a love it or hate it kind of a deal. I think the whole sex angle is pretty interesting and is done well in my mind (So far). The main protag is tolerable at best but there's definitely some room for development.

Also... As a mech fan I fucking love these designs.

wander

Interesting, I may need to check the series out as it's getting a fair bit of attention now the Devilman hype is cooling down. To me the character design and genre seems on a first impression of the pitch a lil generic, though clearly it's getting a lot of love from the fandom. I'm guessing it's a real little gem.

Andol

Did anyone like how they are doing in the anime version of Junji Ito's work? I am waiting till the story with Tomie to give my judgments, but yeah. Some of the stories could use longer treatment, but I think they did well with Long Dreams and The Model.

Also I finally... and yes I know it makes me years late especially as a Bruce Lee and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fan... watching some good ol Fist of the North Star. No matter how many dudes blow up every episode I think... I can keep watching the next 100 repetitive episodes of this with that "You are already dead" catch phrase. XD

wander

Violence Jack did it first (in regards to the manga), though I love Fist of the North Star.  :-)

Haruki

Quote from: Caeli on January 18, 2018, 03:17:55 PM
I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card... and loved it.  Beautiful music and animation as always, and I love that they've updated the technology to match the "modern day" (thinking specifically to those clunky "mobile phones" from the old series, hah!).  CLAMP has captured perfectly the essence of the old series, and I can't wait to see more.

FUNimation starts simulcasting their dub of this show tonight.  Your little synopsis there has me all the more looking forward to it.  Nice to hear they updated some bits, but only those that would enhance the series, but not ruin the legacy the original had already established.  I skimmed the first ep on Crunchyroll to check out its visuals.  And I thought CCS (original series) was pretty in its own right.  This new chapter, just based off my cursory glance of the first episode, is nothing short of breathtaking.

Now I'm really stoked.  :)
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Andol

Quote from: wander on January 24, 2018, 08:01:14 AM
Violence Jack did it first (in regards to the manga), though I love Fist of the North Star.  :-)

I have heard of Violence Jack though haven't got a chance to read anything, but a synopsis since I still am trying to finish Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8... but nothing got me more than hearing Ken doing something that sounded remotely close to the Jojo-esque ORAORAORAORA with every blow XD.

Zeth

I finished Last Man. A great anime with an unusual art style. Each episode is like 13 minutes and there are only 26 episodes. I recommend it.

Haruki

I checked my expectations, however low at the front door before firing up Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card's first dubbed episode last week Wednesday.  Rewatched it Thursday.

No doubt, the pressure from the die-hard fanbase (-raises hand-) was on those VAs.  Like most others I took the original series in its Japanese flavor because Nelvana (rather, Ocean Studios of Vancouver up in Canada) did only an 'okay' effort.  CCS never had a fighting chance in the U.S. since Kids WB had their mitts on the broadcast rights, further editing the work Nelvana already did and shuffling the episode running-order around and omitting 1/3 of the series altogether to either make Syaoran Li the 'lead' or give him & Sakura equal billing.  The 2nd movie (Sealed Card) was, until now, the only 'close to faithful' dub CCS got.

That being said I wanted to approach from a cautious, yet fair & objective position; to give this English dub a chance.  I ignored all social media commentary and gave it those two runthroughs.  My conclusion: it's not all that terrible.  Many seem to be questioning, even writing off the casting choices for the two big above-mentioned characters (basically reprising their 'in name only' roles from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle).  For my ears, it seems like in general they're all still smoothing out the quirks, i e: Tomoyo's VA at times sounds almost as if she's straining to deliver her lines.  I feel if they can get it all worked out by the 3rd episode, I'll be sold on this one.  (Aside: the series is slated for a cour between 22-26 episodes).  If they can't, I'll still watch anyways because I'm a sucker for this show and will wait for its home video release to watch it in Japanese.

Content-wise, it's just as if CCS never finished...but rather is continuing after a nearly 18 year hiatus.  Still the same feel-good shoujo / magical girl feeling, the bright color schemes (TOO bright at times; I had to notch down my TV's brightness setting to compensate), and there's enough hints in the character design that all the characters have started to grow up in a physical sense, but without being overbearing.

This is my anime 'comfort food' and it's exciting to have it back on the air.  Barring any hiccups that need work with the English format of this series, this is one I'm streaming every week, no question.

As for other things, I need to catch up with Overlord thanks to Season 2 having just begun, and Black Clover which is still ongoing, as I admit I'm lagging behind some.
I also took in Recovery of an MMO Junkie recently.  That one hit it right out of the ballpark for me, swapping out "MMO" for "play-by-post roleplay/writing" like as done here.  Never take those character profiles at face value folks.  :P
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Andol

Quote from: Haruki on January 29, 2018, 10:04:00 PM
I checked my expectations, however low at the front door before firing up Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card's first dubbed episode last week Wednesday.  Rewatched it Thursday.

No doubt, the pressure from the die-hard fanbase (-raises hand-) was on those VAs.  Like most others I took the original series in its Japanese flavor because Nelvana (rather, Ocean Studios of Vancouver up in Canada) did only an 'okay' effort.  CCS never had a fighting chance in the U.S. since Kids WB had their mitts on the broadcast rights, further editing the work Nelvana already did and shuffling the episode running-order around and omitting 1/3 of the series altogether to either make Syaoran Li the 'lead' or give him & Sakura equal billing.  The 2nd movie (Sealed Card) was, until now, the only 'close to faithful' dub CCS got.

That being said I wanted to approach from a cautious, yet fair & objective position; to give this English dub a chance.  I ignored all social media commentary and gave it those two runthroughs.  My conclusion: it's not all that terrible.  Many seem to be questioning, even writing off the casting choices for the two big above-mentioned characters (basically reprising their 'in name only' roles from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle).  For my ears, it seems like in general they're all still smoothing out the quirks, i e: Tomoyo's VA at times sounds almost as if she's straining to deliver her lines.  I feel if they can get it all worked out by the 3rd episode, I'll be sold on this one.  (Aside: the series is slated for a cour between 22-26 episodes).  If they can't, I'll still watch anyways because I'm a sucker for this show and will wait for its home video release to watch it in Japanese.

Content-wise, it's just as if CCS never finished...but rather is continuing after a nearly 18 year hiatus.  Still the same feel-good shoujo / magical girl feeling, the bright color schemes (TOO bright at times; I had to notch down my TV's brightness setting to compensate), and there's enough hints in the character design that all the characters have started to grow up in a physical sense, but without being overbearing.

This is my anime 'comfort food' and it's exciting to have it back on the air.  Barring any hiccups that need work with the English format of this series, this is one I'm streaming every week, no question.

As for other things, I need to catch up with Overlord thanks to Season 2 having just begun, and Black Clover which is still ongoing, as I admit I'm lagging behind some.
I also took in Recovery of an MMO Junkie recently.  That one hit it right out of the ballpark for me, swapping out "MMO" for "play-by-post roleplay/writing" like as done here.  Never take those character profiles at face value folks.  :P

Dude... awesome job... that review blew me out the park... :D

Haruki

Ehehe, thanks I think.  Apologies in advance to others if it's a bit long-winded.  I just had a bit to get out there with that one.  There's some series that get major hype such as that one did all of 2017.
=====
My Introduction
=====