I think I need help with organizing group games...

Started by Twisted Crow, August 09, 2020, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

... Like properly setting them up. I want to start one up or maybe participate in one, but I feel really overwhelmed. Like... where to even begin beyond the initial idea?  :-\

Thufir Hawat

Depends on what kind of group game you want. Something plot-based? Well, check what should happen in the plot...I'm not going to dwell on that option further due to personal distaste for it :P.

Or is it a sandbox game? Check what the PCs and their players want.
Think who or what prevents them from achieving it immediately.
Work on developing that thing or person or group's reactions to typical approaches.
Then give them free reign to pursue their heart's wishes... 8-)
And then the last, but crucial step:
Watch the mayhem that ensues and have fun >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Endorphin

Did you get this sorted Dallas?

It sounds like the way to go would be to start off small and work your way up. Nothing wrong with a solo game if you have the right partner. Be patient. Either join a group which suits your interests or run a storyline with someone you're confident writing with and keep the organizing to a minimum.

You could also shoot for a Co-DM role to get some support with that organizing.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

HairyHeretic

Might be easier to join, or even look at, some existing group games.

For myself, I generally have the following
OOC thread - This will be for general chatter, both game related questions and out of character chat. Often times I'll have game specific rules in the first post
Character thread - Most games I play have fairly detailed character sheets, so having a central place for those is useful

For actual game threads, it depends on the format of the game. Easy ways to break these down would be
- By group. If the group isn't going to be splitting up, just one thread progressing from scene to scene generally works. Even if the group does split up temporarily, you can have that in the same thread
- By location. If the game is going to be set in a relatively limited geographic setting, you can have threads for different regions / places / locations
- Side threads. Where players can go off to do scenes that would take time to write, but little actual in game time. This way the two threads can run in parallel. This assumes that actions taken in the side thread won't impact the main one.

Does that help?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.