Dr. Who: The Valeyard (The Dark Side of the Doctor)

Started by The Great Triangle, January 06, 2010, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

The Doctor is a time traveling alien who works to try and make the universe a better place.  When he's critically injured, he regenerates into a new form, his personality completely changing.  Some time after his twelfth incarnation, he regenerates into a complete monster, a dangerous being calling himself The Valeyard.  The Valeyard haunts his own past self, trying to make right the damage he did to the universe throughout his life, and during the time war. 

I'd like to run a game focusing on the adventures of the Valeyard, and the abusive relationships he has with his companions.  The Doctor is quite accommodating and asexual towards his companions, but the Valeyard is the opposite; a domineering monster who takes his slaves across time and space, teaching them new torments and heights of degradation.

Possible characters for the game:

The Valeyard: Ruthlessly intelligent, boundlessly cruel, and over 900 years old, the Valeyard is every dark emotion the Doctor ever had boiled into a ruthless monster.  The Valeyard is male, but the specifics of his appearance are up to personal taste.  Bisexual would be ideal, but heterosexual is fine too.  The Valeyard is skilled in many exotic forms of martial arts and mind control techniques, and can access gadgets and artifacts from any point in time and space.  Because of how active the character will be in the game, it may be a good idea to give him multiple personalities, and have the personalities played by different players.

The Valeyard's companions: Most likely, the Valeyard has one primary female companion and a number of secondary companions.  His female companion is probably a fairly normal girl from some point in Earth's history, while his secondary companions tend to be more exotic.  A Dalek and/or Cyberman would both be possibilities, as could be any number of foes from the Doctor's past, up to and including The Master.  (the Doctor's best friend as a child, who became an even worse rogue from timelord society than the Doctor and regenerated himself a truly insane number of times.  The two have a certain degree of sexual tension.)

The Doctor: This is a fairly optional character, and the usual suspects to appear in the game would be the doctor's first, 4th, 10th, or 11th incarnations.  The doctor is the yin to the Valeyard's yang, and the fact that they're the same person creates some paradoxical ramifications.  Only the 11th doctor is likely at all to have sex with his companions, and that's really only because the TV series about him hasn't aired yet.  (the 10th doctor came close, but he was simply too busy saving the universe)  On the other hand, raping the doctor might just be a fun plan for the Valeyard to fall back on.  (even if he felt the need to use some kind of alien technology to turn himself or the doctor into a female or a tentacle monster before getting down to the nasty)

The Doctor's companions: If the Valeyard attacks the doctor, it's a fair bet that the timelines of his companions will also come under attack.  Rose Tyler in particular, as one of the Doctor's only companions that he loved, and who eventually gains incredible power as the Bad Wolf entity, would make an excellent plot for the Valeyard.

Depending on the preferences of the players, I can run the game either freeform or using the newly released Dr. Who RPG rules.  The system is a simple, rules light system that's good for resolving mind control attempts and chases and such.  (although with an understanding of how scenes will play out between players, it may be unnecessary)

Anyone interested?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Kate

what about a theme where the doctor is dead and leaves the tardis to his companions...

who decide they are not of the same ethical standards as he was ...

The Great Triangle

That might work, if nobody is up to playing an evil version of the Doctor.  You'd still need someone who could operate the TARDIS though, since it's not exactly intuitive.  (Captain Jack Harkness might be able to take a crack at it, as might K9 and any number of 51st century time travelers, Daleks, bored Great Old Ones, and obsessive maniacs willing to try and read all the thousands of volumes of the TARDIS documentation.)

Ons and Offs

Mathim

I can't really see the Doctor as being someone evil regardless of his regenerations. After all, he's done it 11 times now (as of the appearance of Matt Smith) and each time the Master has regenerated he's been evil. You should just say that the Master has come back and gotten hold of his own TARDIS somehow. Maybe even capture the Doctor as a prisoner/companion, and/or some of the Doctor's companions as his victims. After all, Rose Tyler never met the Master.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kate

then perhaps perverted compainions using the tardis for their own selfish reasons ?

The Great Triangle

Actually, the Doctor becoming evil is part of cannon.  The entirety of season 23 of the show was the doctor having to deal with his future self, who attempted to try and convict him for damaging the space time continuum so he could take his regenerations.  :-)   A Timelord is normally limited to 12 regenerations, and after one regenerates for the 13th time, things just start to go WRONG.  (for the Master, it was when his trademark undead/skull like appearance started to show up, and he became even crazier)  One origin that has been suggested for the Valeyard is the Doctor accidentally regenerating without his positive memories intact, turning him into a sociopath.   (though this isn't cannon)

The Master could get used of course, though he actually ended up teaming up with the Doctor against his evil future self.  (resolving whether or not the doctor really will become evil in the future is one of the things that's forbidden from being discussed in the official expanded universe, suggesting it will become a plot point in a future season.)   I certainly wouldn't mind a game where the Master took over the TARDIS, of course! 

Ons and Offs

Mathim

Maybe the Doctor and Master could compete in proving who is the bigger badass then?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

The Great Triangle

That could certainly work as a plot element.  Making massive changes to Earth's history and exterminating the human race is HARD.  On the other hand, abducting random people from history and subjecting them to unbelievably hideous tortures is a pretty good way to show just how much stones you have.  Particularly if you want to go fight the Blinovitch limitation effect and do a time travel assisted one man gang bang.   (or some other similiarly creative effort)

Ons and Offs

Mathim

I was going to suggest the Master's TARDIS be made up like a prison ship inside and that's where he keeps his growing harem of historical hotties. The Doctor could try to go back through his old companions and capture them or grab some new girls and they see how many they can charm into their TARDIS, to see who can do more?

The Great Triangle

That's certainly possible.  An average TARDIS has a maximum internal volume of 3.5 million square feet, and can be reconfigured in any way imaginable, except to create weapons.  (this feature could likely be subverted/disabled though) 

A TARDIS operator with full control of the systems could create a dungeon complex the size of a small mansion for over 100,000 beings, and still not quite fill up the TARDIS' capacity.  (fast transport between its internal geometry is a feature of the TARDIS, however) 

Another important TARDIS system to remember is the fact that projectile weapons and weapons which require activation (such as a chainsaw) don't work within the TARDIS unless the systems that suppress them are disengaged.  This likely wouldn't apply to torture devices though, particularly in a TARDIS run by an evil timelord.

Ons and Offs

Kate

if the companions were the ones that became perverted ...

or the doctor became twisted but also wanted his companions to be likewise - that gives more story oppitunities

(him being ruthless on everyone else especially his companions has a lot less)

Hunter

Quote from: Mathim on January 08, 2010, 12:57:45 PM
I can't really see the Doctor as being someone evil regardless of his regenerations. After all, he's done it 11 times now (as of the appearance of Matt Smith) and each time the Master has regenerated he's been evil. You should just say that the Master has come back and gotten hold of his own TARDIS somehow. Maybe even capture the Doctor as a prisoner/companion, and/or some of the Doctor's companions as his victims. After all, Rose Tyler never met the Master.

Somewhere in the middle of the series (I believe it was right around the time Tom Baker was Doctor) they show the last doctor as an evil and manipulative individual (who at the time was trying to get the rest of the regenerations from the current Doctor by putting him on trial).