News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Is the SB ever coming back?

Started by Scott, November 20, 2011, 08:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

lollipop

This thread covers the shoutbox issue in depth. As of now, I think the situation hasn't changed much at all.

Scott

Yeah, I read all that. What about having someone else host it until the new software is created, is that really expensive? I'm willing to bet people would make a special donation to get one back. 

I read where system resources are limited and all that, are membership numbers with BMR similar, because their SB still works?     

Vekseid

Blue Moon is running software that is more efficient CPU wise, but less Database wise. what killed it on Elliquiy was the former. For the latter, AJAXchat operates mostly independently of the forum's database, so MyBB's rather horrific schema doesn't hurt it on Blue Moon.

I could setup a site with 'just' the AJAX chat, if people wanted, and that should mostly be fine. It can't be integrated with the database here, however, at least with SMF's verification functions, so... we'd have to consider how having the chat being 'more public' would affect things.

Alternately, if people want it back as the shoutbox, we can host another fundraiser. But I'm worried that would only buy a year or two of time (though hopefully new CMS would be finished enough before then).

Edit: And the reason I won't do a third-party solution is it would drop people out of SSL and be an overall privacy concern.

olive

I'd be willing to donate/participate in a fund raiser for the SB even if it were a short term (1 or 2 year) solution. A lot can happen in two years, and like you said the new CMS (pretends to know what that means) would be up by then.

The biggest issue for me is that I don't want to cause undue financial or work load stress to you, Veks. I love E and although I miss the SB tremendously, I don't want my want to be a burden to anyone.