Is a college degree worth it in your 40s?

Started by Kurzyk, March 01, 2015, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurzyk

I don't know, partly luck I guess, being consistent and working my way up in organizations, using solid work ethics, spotting opportunities for advancement doing well in interviews, as well as probably the most important aspect: building and maintaining solid relationships. It's all about relationships and networking.

It also helped that one of my positions was a recruiter that interviewed and hired for a home-care company at one point, so I learned first hand how to ace interviews. ;)

And yes I see your point as well, and that's a lot of how I feel in wanting to step out of the corporate ladder and focus on what I love. I've done that actually, but I realized that not being a billionaire, one still needs to work  :P, so I figured with a business degree not only is there a personal sense of completion, it actually helps me in building a career in what I love to do, instead of what I've always felt I had to do. Having a degree opens doors at any age.

I'm just grumbling because the courses are silly, but there is no doubt about the value of the piece of paper.

Asphodel Terrarium

:D That's nice then! Keep it up. And may you be blessed in whatever path you wish to go.

??? Hmm, are you an extravert? I'm an introvert and not sure how to go with interviews and networking.

Kurzyk

Thanks.

As with most things, there's a spectrum and I'm somewhere in the middle; extrovert in some situations, introvert in others. I have strong business and social skills, but I really like my down time as well.

Interviews and networking are things you learn as you go. But yes developing confidence and finding your own 'voice' is essential. One of the ways confidence is built is through attainable and reasonable steps. Take risks. :) Don't be afraid of failure, everyone fails. Just learn from it. :) And most importantly love and believe in yourself. You rock and if a particular interviewer doesn't choose you, it's their loss and there's something better around the corner. Always be positive.

It's not easy I sympathize, but like I said, it's just one of those things you learn as you go. It's a journey. Just never lose faith in what you have to offer, and how much you rock. If things don't work there's always something better.

Asphodel Terrarium

:D Thank you ever so mich for the motivational speech!

Kurzyk

Kurzyk

For a followup to this discussion, I'm graduating in June! Already have the cap and gown, and the ceremony is going to be at Lincoln Center! Woot. So excited.

Thanks all for your input and feedback. I'm so happy I chose to see it through and finish.  :-)

Inkidu

Quote from: Kurzyk on April 01, 2016, 09:01:26 AM
For a followup to this discussion, I'm graduating in June! Already have the cap and gown, and the ceremony is going to be at Lincoln Center! Woot. So excited.

Thanks all for your input and feedback. I'm so happy I chose to see it through and finish.  :-)
I wish you luck.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

AmberStarfire

Congratulations Kurzyk. :) I hope you enjoy your ceremony. You've earned it.

Rhedyn

Quote from: Kurzyk on April 01, 2016, 09:01:26 AM

This is excellent! Congratulations!

Kurzyk

Thanks everyone! So exciting... and so amazing it's finally done! I can't wait.  :-)

SmuttyReader

Have you graduated yet?  Congratulations, you deserve it!

Kurzyk

AmberStarfire

That's awesome. Congratulations Kurzyk.  ;D

Kurzyk

Kurzyk

And.. as of today, I'm graduated! Bachelor's degree in Business Management and Economics. :) I'm so incredibly happy I saw it through.

On to the next project! Personal training certifications, and completing the pre-requisites for the application to the doctorate program in physical therapy. My love and passion! I can't wait to start!

AmberStarfire

Well done and it's great to see you getting where you want to be/doing what you want to do.  :D

Kurzyk

Irisa

Congratulations Kurzyk!

I just got here, sorry to be late for the party.  I started college at 42 (and love it like crazy!), so I found this thread really interesting.

Goodluck on your grad studies!

Kurzyk

Thank you Irisa! Good luck with your studies as well!

Mintprincess

Congratulations!!!!!! I know you've worked so hard for this and I'm so happy you've accomplished it!!