A Long Night Out: A Dresdenverse Character Proposal (Closed)

Started by Sephora, July 18, 2014, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajah

Quote from: Riveda on July 21, 2014, 08:17:13 AM
The example were-forms in the books are a loup-garou (hereditary curse), some hexenwulves (demonically enchanted belts), and some straight-up werewolves (taught by another werewolf). The game has an example were-mouse but I forget the origin of her powers.

The straight-up werewolves are actually not werewolves in the classical sense, and neither (technically) is their teacher - they're all focused practitioners who know a single trick really well, changing to wolf and back, with the exception of their teacher, whose single trick is changing to HUMAN and back. So that's one kind of werewolf, basically a wizard whose only spell is "Become Wolf." They don't have any special abilities or powers beyond being wolves with human minds; they are not stronger, faster, or otherwise enhanced. Being clubbed over the head hard enough will kill them in either form just fine. HOWEVER, that's because they're all very minor practitioners. A more powerful practitioner might be capable of a "buffed" form and other advantages.

Loup-garou are created by curse; they change on the full moon, uncontrollably, into giant demon berserker wolves that can't be killed - or slowed down terribly much - short of divine intervention or the use of inherited silver empowered by faith. You don't want to be a loup-garou.

Lycanthropes are essentially people possessed by animal spirits, which makes them psychotic and physically powerful. No transformation - or at least not much - but they have animal traits and instincts.

Hexenwulves are an example of the use of a magic item to accomplish the same thing as the first example: one spell, "Become Wolf," but powered by demonic investiture which also makes users stronger, faster, and kind of evil, inclined increasingly towards lust and violence. You could probably make a not-shitty version of one of these that doesn't make you evil; the people in question using them had no magic at ALL and were just being trolled by Hell, essentially.

There are fae who can shift shape as part of their purview. Black Court vampires can pull it off. Et cetera. The Dresdenverse is kind of a fantasy kitchen sink, so almost every idea has some kind of representation somewhere.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Mister Grimm

I'll comment better when I'm not on my phone, but the weres that used a magical item also always had to were baggy or easy to discard clothes since they got shredded otherwise when transforming. Also dont think they required a full moon either. The book name were theey really touched base on the concept was Fool Moon

Having someine turn you into a were is also illegal since it breaks the Second Law of Magic by wiping oit their mind and destroying their personalities.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Mister Grimm on July 21, 2014, 02:02:00 PM
the weres that used a magical item also always had to were baggy or easy to discard clothes since they got shredded otherwise when transforming. Also dont think they required a full moon either.
Ditto the one-trick-magic weres, in both respects.

Sephora

I am back!  And feeling rather proud of the work being done in my absence. 

Crash: I am sorry that your character is feeling forced.  I'm sure we've all had similar experiences, and it sucks.  Feel free to post a new character whenever inspiration hits you. 

AndyZ: Very proud of you!  First person to begin making character connections!  You get a gold star and a cookie. 

To our new players:  Welcome!  I love what I'm seeing so far, and will reserve any request until after you've completed your character write ups. 

I hope everyone continues working to make connections with everyone else.  I'm thinking about copying a move another group game I'm in has made, and require a kind of 'diary' where everyone has to write a short blurb about how they know each individual person.  I'll post an example for what I'm talking about soon enough, after all; this is work that I will have to be doing as well.  :P

Mister Grimm

@ AndyZ:
Haha, that sounds good. Taking out a scourge sounds like something that Jacob would probably do if there was some money involved lol.

@Sephora:
The diary idea sounds interesting, but sometimes meeting people for the first time is also nice instead of having connections prior to the game. Though both knowing another character and not knowing both have perks. I'll hopefully have Jacob done sometime today lol
Do you know who I am?

AndyZ

Quote from: Mister Grimm on July 21, 2014, 03:09:13 PM
@ AndyZ:
Haha, that sounds good. Taking out a scourge sounds like something that Jacob would probably do if there was some money involved lol.

Not sure she'd be able to afford him if it came down to that, but either someone else footed the bill, she had to pay him back by returning the favor in another task, or they just found enough valuables to make him happy.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sephora

Mister Grimm:  You are very correct, and obviously some characters won't have much connection with certain other characters.   It would be weird if every single character has a deep backstory with every single other character.  But I'm hoping that this game isn't full of super anti-social loners, and likewise not every character will be new in town (though I did make a note that I was willing to make exceptions).  I'm encouraging the development of previously existing friendships, rivalries, awe, ambivalence, and annoyance for a few reasons.  One of those is because it's the kind of thing I can use against for you all, when developing plot.  The other is because I've found it's a great way to induce creative communication in group games.

Please note that whatever character histories and feelings towards other character's need not remain stagnant.  You can decide to create this huge disgust between two characters at the start of the game; only to realize that the way the character's wind up being written inside the rp makes for there to be some real respect between the two.  I LOVE that, write that change, make it awesome. 

On a completely different note, how does it feel to be in what amounts to a harem game for your character? :P 

Mister Grimm

Haha, thats a good point too LOL. I'm thinking Jacob, while not new to Seattle, hasn't exactly been around for too long of a period. At least 2 years or so. enough to have a chance to have some light connections.

Is Windhaven's Last Call like this games McAnally's Pub? Like neutral accord territory? or is it just a pub

Also hahaha, I didn't think about it. It'll be interesting though, though hopefully more male characters pop up xD
Do you know who I am?

Swan

Sephora

AndyZ:  I love your idea for Charity's presence at the Windfall.  Would she shown up prior to two years ago, IE: when Amelia's father was still alive and running the bar?

Windhaven's Last Call is accord neutral territory.  There are a few reasons why I made that decision, but I can't really disclose any without revealing plot.  :P

AndyZ

Let's say yes.  We can include both Amelia and her father as being good people as part of the reason why she keeps coming, although without more info about him, it'd be hard to give any nuances of interaction between the two.  I could certainly see the dad as having given Charity some info about various monsters that needed to be dealt with as well, although whether Amelia has done so (or if doing so had any effect on the cause of his death) is up to you.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Rook Seidhr

You know, it could almost as easily be said to be a harem game for my character, since with the exception of Amelia all the other female characters are bi. :D

Sephora

I do want to take a moment to make sure everyone is on the same page with writing quality.  I expect more than five sentences per post.  I know that some posts require less of a response than others, but I expect at least two paragraphs per post. 

AndyZ: I'll do a write up on Amelia's father to give you (and whoever else has been around Seattle for more than two years) for some background.  And I'm perfectly fine with the idea that Amelia gives Charity information on whatever she's hunting.  If we play that they are friends, then she'd probably do it for free.  If it's more a business relationship, then it's probably under the table and it costs Charity some serious cash. 

Rivida: You are very right.  XD

Rook Seidhr

I'm sorry. I'm perfectly willing to write long when long is appropriate, but I won't grind out two paragraphs when two sentences are called for, during back-and-forth dialogue or action scenes.

Have fun!

Sephora

I have never been in a game where only two sentences were called for, so I feel like I'm making an appropriate call here.

Thank you for your interest, I'm sorry things could not work out.

AndyZ

Swan

AndyZ

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 04:07:19 PM
I do want to take a moment to make sure everyone is on the same page with writing quality.  I expect more than five sentences per post.  I know that some posts require less of a response than others, but I expect at least two paragraphs per post. 

Please prod me if I fail to live up to this at some point; I've been reading a lot of novels lately where two or three sentences seems like the average per paragraph.  Checking through my threads, though, I doubt it'll be much of a problem.

Sephora

AndyZ:  Great! I'm thinking this adds a fun new element to when Charity starts to drink a bit more at the bar (she's not an alcoholic right?).  I picture that the nights where she doesn't wind up doing something she probably will regret, she'll wake up in the flat above the bar.  Plus, when Amelia isn't crazy busy with whatever crisis running a business brings-she'll just egg Charity on. 
I'm sure you'll be fine!  It's just about give and take, you know?  :)

Swan: The rp doesn't exist yet.  I've got the plot for episode 1 all planned in my head, but we are all still in the early planning stages. 

Red Stella

Well, a paragraph have to be fifty sentences of unnecessary description so I'm good with that. 

I trust Sephora to recognize when a bit less than normal makes sense. 

Sephora

Yup, clearly I mean that you must write two hundred sentences per post.  Any less and you bring shame upon yourself and your ancestors. 

It's just about giving and taking.  If I write five long paragraphs about the army of were-tigers that have besieged Seattle and you respond with nothing but, " She grabs her gun and starts shooting."  Then not only do I feel like I've put in a lot of work for nothing, but you've given me barely anything to work with for my next post.  Does that make sense? 

Red Stella

Makes perfect sense.  And I will strive to not bring shame upon my ancestors - at least when it comes to reasonable posting length, I make no promises regarding my or my character's behaviour.   :D

Mister Grimm

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209175.msg10280571#msg10280571

Might touch up his biography a little more if its needed, but otherwise I think I'm done. The soulgaze prompt was fun lol
Do you know who I am?

Sephora

Red Stella: Rofl.  Looks like it's going to need to be nickel shot night at Windhaven's.  ^_~

Mister Grimm:  Great job!  Also, is your character avatar Sam from supernatural?  The amount of fan-ing going on in this rp is delightful!  XD  A warden father and politically ambitious siblings could be really useful in the future.  Had you any thoughts about the family line; is Scarborough a name that would draw recognition?  And do you have any qualms about me bringing a random family member in at a later point in the game? 

To everyone:  I'm beginning to work on basic locations right now.  Is there any place that you would like me to create? A location outside of Windhaven's that your character is likely to frequent? 

Mister Grimm

@ Sephora:
Scarborough could be a potentially recognizable name, but nothing to really be awed or wowed about. Just like... a minimal level of renown. Probably one of the reasons that he just uses the shortened Scar instead, while another is to not give power to anyone that may know the family. As for the family member being brought in down the road, I have no real problem with that no. Just know that he probably isn't on the best terms with any of them haha.

And yeah, haha. It's Sam, or Jared Padalecki rather. xD
Do you know who I am?