I have a question

Started by EnchantedDream218, June 29, 2014, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnchantedDream218

It says I have one Referral. Am I in trouble? Does this mean a bad thing? Could someone please explain what this means.

Thank you.  :-)

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Nico

No, you are certainly not in trouble. I means that at least one person has clicked the link in your profile, to sign up to Elliquiy. :-) Don't worry.

Oniya

Referrals are good things.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

*nods*  I have 2 and the person who referred me should have 1.

EnchantedDream218

Oh okay thank you. Now I'm curious to who this person is. I'd like to thank them.  :D

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

The Golden Touch

Same here, I have two.... From who I cannot say!

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Beguile's Mistress

You have secret admirers? ;D

Belle33

What if you haven't published your link anywhere?  Is there any other way for someone to access it?  That's happened to someone I know, and it has us perplexed. 

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Dovel

I don't believe they need the actual link, but just your name.

QuoteReferred by Membername:

The Sign Up page just asks for your member name.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Belle33

Thanks for your response, Dovel. 

Is the Referral_Membername field manually entered? If so, is someone is matching up manually keyed member names? 

Dovel

You are very welcome, but don't take my word for it. ~grins~ I am sure someone with vastly more knowledge shall wander through soon. For your question, I believe the name has to be entered manually. There is no auto-complete feature like when you search for someone or type a name into a PM box address. So the person listing you as a reference would actually have to know how to spell your name correctly.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

BAMF

How about those who have had name changes? Would the new name work? Or would they need the old name?
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Valthazar

I don't know anything about this.  But in another thread, someone asked why they didn't get a referral when the new person specifically mentioned their name in their questionnaire.  The answer was that the link wasn't used, so I think the link is essential.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=206700.0

Belle33

Would it be possible to get a definitive answer on whether referrals are only generated if the link is used?  I don't normally concern myself with such things, but this particular issue is important to me. 

Pulling together what I've read here and on other threads, I believe there may be two use cases for referrals:

Active referrals: A user links to E using the member's unique url and registers (or must they also be approved?).  I'm assuming (correct me if I am wrong) in this case, the member must have intentionally copied the url and published/posted it somewhere that was accessible to the potential new member.  I call this an active referral because the member must take action to enable a referral.

Passive referrals: A user enters an active(?) member's name in the Referring_Membername field on the signup form.  It must be an exact match for an active member - meaning spelling, punctuation, spacing, capitalization, and any special characters - in order to result show up in one's referral count.  I call this an passive referral because the member does not need to take any action to enable a referral.

I won't ask what happens if the user links to E using a member link and then enters another member's name as a referral member - because I have the day off and this already feels like work *laughs a little* 

Please confirm the two use cases are accurate, or clarify.   

Vekseid

I'm pretty sure autocomplete is active on the named referrals.

It's often used by spammers so they'll enter random data, see the autocomplete and then use that.

Belle33

I gave it a try and I found autocomplete isn't enabled for me.  Perhaps it's been deactivated? 

Does this mean the both passive and active referrals as I have noted above result in referrals? 

Also, does the referred user count after the user registers or after they become an approved member?

Thanks for your attention.

Ariel

Either way, you should get the referral noted on your profile. Whether they use the link you snag off your profile and send to them or by entering your username, either way, it should count.

It counts as soon as they register.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Vekseid

Quote from: Belle33 on July 08, 2014, 09:39:25 PM
I gave it a try and I found autocomplete isn't enabled for me.  Perhaps it's been deactivated? 

Does this mean the both passive and active referrals as I have noted above result in referrals? 

Also, does the referred user count after the user registers or after they become an approved member?

Thanks for your attention.

It counts on registration, even if SFS blocks it.

Belle33

Thanks for the clarification.   ;D